PDA

View Full Version : Dye talk on PTI

Domeshot17
08-30-2006, 04:45 PM
IF anyone is interested, it looks like some jermaine Dye Discussion will be coming up on ESPN in the next 3-10 minutes.

Kogs35
08-30-2006, 04:56 PM
it was the same east coast bias about the al mvp race.

hold2dibber
08-30-2006, 05:00 PM
it was the same east coast bias about the al mvp race.

Details?

Domeshot17
08-30-2006, 05:05 PM
entire thing was about 13 seconds. Tony K said he thinks Jeter is the mvp, Ortiz 2nd, and Dye 3rd or 4th depending on if the Sox win the WC/Central or miss playoffs. Wilboun then said he thinks Dye should win, but will finish 2nd because of idiots like Tony

The Immigrant
08-30-2006, 05:10 PM
Michael Wilbon is the man.

chisoxfanatic
08-30-2006, 05:10 PM
Wilboun then said he thinks Dye should win, but will finish 2nd because of idiots like Tony

Nice!

MarySwiss
08-30-2006, 05:15 PM
entire thing was about 13 seconds. Tony K said he thinks Jeter is the mvp, Ortiz 2nd, and Dye 3rd or 4th depending on if the Sox win the WC/Central or miss playoffs. Wilboun then said he thinks Dye should win, but will finish 2nd because of idiots like Tony

Yeah, that's kind of how it went on Around the Horn as well. Bill Plasche (LA) said Dye and so did Mariotti (!?!), but Woody Paige (NY) and Jackie Whoever (Boston) said Jeter.

Jeter??? Sheesh!!

chisoxfanatic
08-30-2006, 05:17 PM
It's the New York media bias, Mary. Papi's the only one I'd consider other than Dye. The others fall in a tier below them.

Unregistered
08-30-2006, 05:18 PM
Yeah, that's kind of how it went on Around the Horn as well. Bill Plasche (LA) said Dye and so did Mariotti (!?!), but Woody Paige (NY) and Jackie Whoever (Boston) said Jeter.

Jeter??? Sheesh!!I don't know who in their right mind would think Derek ****ing Jeter deserves an MVP for this year. Look at that lineup, look at Jeter's numbers and convince me that Jeter is even the MVP of his team, let alone MVP on the AL. Besides his .339 average which is up there in a down year for the league, what is he bringing to the table? His boyish good looks? :rolleyes:

Stupid East Coast bias...

http://www.coldpizza.tv/img/woody.jpg

"His eyes are too dreamy to be ignored!"

MarySwiss
08-30-2006, 05:22 PM
It's the New York media bias, Mary. Papi's the only one I'd consider other than Dye. The others fall in a tier below them.

Yep. I must admit the only reason I don't like Papi is because of Berman and the rest of those clowns' constant fawning (I'd phrase it differently but I don't want to get banned!) over him. Which is certainly not his fault.

However, he IS a DH. And although I would not go so far as to say a DH should never qualify, in this case, Ortiz really has not done enough to overshadow JD's accomplishments.

NoShoesJoe
08-30-2006, 05:36 PM
Yep. I must admit the only reason I don't like Papi is because of Berman and the rest of those clowns' constant fawning (I'd phrase it differently but I don't want to get banned!) over him. Which is certainly not his fault.

However, he IS a DH. And although I would not go so far as to say a DH should never qualify, in this case, Ortiz really has not done enough to overshadow JD's accomplishments.

It may be a moot point anyway. Ortiz is out for now.

Dolanski
08-30-2006, 05:57 PM
How can they give the MVP to Jeter? Yes he is the greatest player to ever put on a baseball uniform, but C'MON. I was always under the impression that to be the MVP, you have to be on a playoff team and put up at least .300 BA/30 HR/120 RBI. Jeter doesn't make sense other than to kiss his behind. I leave Papi out of the rest of the discussion because he is out currently and the Red Sox are going to miss the playoffs and you pretty much have to make the playoffs to be the MVP.

Comparisons of stats so far:
Jeter .339 BA/12 HR/81 RBI
Dye .324 BA/39 HR/106 RBI

Doesn't make sense. Dye is having a bigger offensive year except batting average. They usually don't pay attention to runs, but even then Jeter only outscores him by 7 runs. BIG. FAT. HAIRY. DEAL.

Jeter deserves a great big turd. Dye should get the hardware.

lukeman89
08-30-2006, 06:17 PM
i predict ortiz gets a sympathy mvp

fquaye149
08-30-2006, 06:18 PM
[quote=Dolanski]How can they give the MVP to Jeter? Yes he is the greatest player to ever put on a baseball uniform, but C'MON. I was always under the impression that to be the MVP, you have to be on a playoff team and put up at least .300 BA/30 HR/120 RBI. Jeter doesn't make sense other than to kiss his behind. I leave Papi out of the rest of the discussion because he is out currently and the Red Sox are going to miss the playoffs and you pretty much have to make the playoffs to be the MVP.

Dye .324 BA/29 HR/106 RBI

Doesn't make sense. Dye is having a bigger offensive year except batting average. They usually don't pay attention to runs, but even then Jeter only outscores him by 7 runs. BIG. FAT. HAIRY. DEAL.

Dye's got a couple more HR than that....

BadBobbyJenks
08-30-2006, 06:48 PM
Lets not say jeter doesnt deserve consideration, because he is having a phenomenal year and has held that team together with all the injuries...BUT Dye is having a better year and deserves the hardware.

slobes
08-30-2006, 06:50 PM

I think so too. To me, it's a two man race to the finish. When White Sox make the playoffs and Red Sox don't, how could you not give it to Dye?

ShoelessJoeS
08-30-2006, 06:51 PM
Lets not say jeter doesnt deserve consideration, because he is having a phenomenal year and has held that team together with all the injuries...BUT Dye is having a better year and deserves the hardware.All the injuries? Cabrera and Abreu are solid replacements. Enough that they make you forget who was even on the opening day roster.

IMO, the only thing that deserves consideration is his batting average, but not MVP consideration.

Dolanski
08-30-2006, 06:56 PM
[quote=Dolanski]How can they give the MVP to Jeter? Yes he is the greatest player to ever put on a baseball uniform, but C'MON. I was always under the impression that to be the MVP, you have to be on a playoff team and put up at least .300 BA/30 HR/120 RBI. Jeter doesn't make sense other than to kiss his behind. I leave Papi out of the rest of the discussion because he is out currently and the Red Sox are going to miss the playoffs and you pretty much have to make the playoffs to be the MVP.

Dye .324 BA/29 HR/106 RBI

Dye's got a couple more HR than that....

My bad. I meant 39. In any case, DYE FOR MVP!!!

BadBobbyJenks
08-30-2006, 06:56 PM
All the injuries? Cabrera and Abreu are solid replacements. Enough that they make you forget who was even on the opening day roster.

IMO, the only thing that deserves consideration is his batting average, but not MVP consideration.

ERRRRRRRRRRR, Abreu joined the yanks when? Melky Cabrera is having a fine year but please dont tell me that makes up for what matsui brought to the table for the last few years. I get into fights constanly with jeter lovers, but he deserves to be in the conversation this year, he has 80+ ribbies in the 2 hole with a stellar batting average

ShoelessJoeS
08-30-2006, 07:00 PM
ERRRRRRRRRRR, Abreu joined the yanks when? Melky Cabrera is having a fine year but please dont tell me that makes up for what matsui brought to the table for the last few years. I get into fights constanly with jeter lovers, but he deserves to be in the conversation this year, he has 80+ ribbies in the 2 hole with a stellar batting averageStill, with a lineup consisting of Damon, A-Rod, Giambi, Posada, Cano and Williams, you can afford to lose a Matsui-type.

aryzner
08-30-2006, 07:04 PM
Jeter isn't even half the MVP Jermaine is.

But then again, I'm a biased Sox fan.:cool::tongue:

cbotnyse
08-30-2006, 07:09 PM
entire thing was about 13 seconds. Tony K said he thinks Jeter is the mvp, Ortiz 2nd, and Dye 3rd or 4th depending on if the Sox win the WC/Central or miss playoffs. Wilboun then said he thinks Dye should win, but will finish 2nd because of idiots like TonyThats why I love Wilbon.

NardiWasHere
08-30-2006, 08:33 PM
Still, with a lineup consisting of Damon, A-Rod, Giambi, Posada, Cano and Williams, you can afford to lose a Matsui-type.

Bernie isn't the player he used to be... A-Rod is having an un-A-Rod year, Cano was out for a while, and Posada+Giambi aren't any better than Aj+Crede.... That Sox lineup has been good and healthy all year.

Jeter is having a great year and has sort of carried that team to a better record than the Sox right now.

I'd still put Dye over Jeter if I had a ballot, but come on now... a lot of you guys are acting like no one should even be mentioned...

Are any of you the same people who can't stand Hawk because he's a homer?:rolleyes:

flo-B-flo
08-30-2006, 09:50 PM
MVP D Y E The dye is cast. He's doing everything.