PDA

View Full Version : Tigers Relinquish Baseball's Best Record

bouldersox
08-30-2006, 04:18 PM
The Tigers are in second place for baseball's best record.

Sure, the same thing happened to the Sox last year in the second half, but they had a BIG cushion built up on everyone else in the Central (of course, it turns out that they would need almost all of that cushion to hold on and win the Central).

The point is that the Tigers' pitching staff is TIRED. And they don't have much of a cushion between themselves and the Sox and the Twins. They play .500 ball the rest of the season (they're playing more like .350 of late), and they won't even make it to the playoffs!

I can't believe I'm saying this, but GO YANKEES!

BTW: What do you think of a baseball re-alignment that had the top 8 teams in the playoffs? The Tigers, Yankees, White Sox, Twins, A's and, yes, even the Red Sox would get in. Only the Mets and Cardinals would represent the floundering NL.

NoShoesJoe
08-30-2006, 04:26 PM
Aw...that's too bad. I hope the slide continues to at least 2 in the AL Central at least.

A. Cavatica
08-30-2006, 04:40 PM
BTW: What do you think of a baseball re-alignment that had the top 8 teams in the playoffs? The Tigers, Yankees, White Sox, Twins, A's and, yes, even the Red Sox would get in. Only the Mets and Cardinals would represent the floundering NL.

If there were a way to replace the Tigers, Twins, White Sox, or A's with the Cubs and Braves, MLB would be all for it.

Dan Mega
08-30-2006, 04:44 PM
I'd rather the Sox have to play Detroit rather than the Twinkies in the playoffs. Facing Santana/Liriano on back to back days? No thanks. Here's to hoping the Sox win the division, and the Tigers hold off Minnesota for the wildcard.

batmanZoSo
08-30-2006, 05:22 PM
The Tigers are in second place for baseball's best record.

Sure, the same thing happened to the Sox last year in the second half, but they had a BIG cushion built up on everyone else in the Central (of course, it turns out that they would need almost all of that cushion to hold on and win the Central).

The point is that the Tigers' pitching staff is TIRED. And they don't have much of a cushion between themselves and the Sox and the Twins. They play .500 ball the rest of the season (they're playing more like .350 of late), and they won't even make it to the playoffs!

I can't believe I'm saying this, but GO YANKEES!

Better yet, leave the NL out of it all together.

FielderJones
08-30-2006, 05:29 PM
I'd rather the Sox have to play Detroit rather than the Twinkies in the playoffs. Facing Santana/Liriano on back to back days? No thanks. Here's to hoping the Sox win the division, and the Tigers hold off Minnesota for the wildcard.

Your prediction that Liriano is going to have his pre-injury location and velocity after ~6+ weeks of not facing live batters is based on what?

:cleo

Max Power
08-30-2006, 05:53 PM

Two teams from the same division can't play in the Division Series (assuming that's what you meant).

chaerulez
08-30-2006, 05:58 PM
If there were a way to replace the Tigers, Twins, White Sox, or A's with the Cubs and Braves, MLB would be all for it.

How are the Braves a MLB favorite? They can barely sell out in the early round of the playoffs, and they don't have much of a national following. Aside from the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs and possibly the Giants, Mets and Dodgers I don't think there are other top marketable teams.

Dan Mega
08-30-2006, 06:04 PM
Your prediction that Liriano is going to have his pre-injury location and velocity after ~6+ weeks of not facing live batters is based on what?

So you'd rather face a Liriano straight out of rehab instead of Nate Robertson?

Two teams from the same division can't play in the Division Series (assuming that's what you meant).

Actually, its not what I meant, I knew that about the Division Series (which is why the BlowSox/Yanks never faced in the Division Series).

SoxFan76
08-30-2006, 06:07 PM
I've been saying this for a few weeks now, I don't think the Tigers will make the playoffs. I truly believe the Sox and Twins are better teams. I know, I know, the Tigers pitching staff has waaay outperformed the Sox, but I STILL feel the Sox pitching staff is better when running on all cylinders. Problem is, they have been on 1 or 2 cylinders all season.

Baby Fisk
08-30-2006, 06:10 PM
I've been saying this for a few weeks now, I don't think the Tigers will make the playoffs.
PH13 called this earlier in the week. :cool:

DSpivack
08-30-2006, 06:14 PM
How are the Braves a MLB favorite? They can barely sell out in the early round of the playoffs, and they don't have much of a national following. Aside from the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs and possibly the Giants, Mets and Dodgers I don't think there are other top marketable teams.

As far as the NL goes, I wouldn't be surprised if "the following" of the Braves is only surpassed by the Cubs and Mets. Braves draw on the whole southeast in terms of fanbase and tv market (as to why they can't draw...:?:). They are a "national" team.

batmanZoSo
08-30-2006, 06:17 PM
I've been saying this for a few weeks now, I don't think the Tigers will make the playoffs. I truly believe the Sox and Twins are better teams. I know, I know, the Tigers pitching staff has waaay outperformed the Sox, but I STILL feel the Sox pitching staff is better when running on all cylinders. Problem is, they have been on 1 or 2 cylinders all season.

Welcome back. Has it been a month already? Where does the time go?

Baby Fisk
08-30-2006, 06:22 PM
Where does the time go?
Military school? :?:

SoxFan76
08-30-2006, 06:34 PM
Welcome back. Has it been a month already? Where does the time go?

The month ban was gone awhile ago. But my computer crapped out. I was in Wisconsin for a week when it ended, then I moved back to Dekalb permanently. The next weekend, I was in Minnesota. Now I've been back for awhile, and I go on one of my roommate's computers from time to time to check MySpace/Facebook. I haven't been on WSI in a month. The ban probably ended 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Which brings me to this:

PH13 called this earlier in the week. :cool:

I OBVIOUSLY wouldn't have known that. :cool:

Palehose13
08-30-2006, 07:01 PM
The month ban was gone awhile ago. But my computer crapped out. I was in Wisconsin for a week when it ended, then I moved back to Dekalb permanently. The next weekend, I was in Minnesota. Now I've been back for awhile, and I go on one of my roommate's computers from time to time to check MySpace/Facebook. I haven't been on WSI in a month. The ban probably ended 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Which brings me to this:

I OBVIOUSLY wouldn't have known that. :cool:

That's why he was cluing you in. Welcome back. :smile:

A. Cavatica
08-30-2006, 07:06 PM

Of the two teams I mentioned (Braves and Cubs) you question why MLB loves the Braves? :o:

They won their division a million years in a row, are on national cable, and have a big following across the South. They also have some big name stars.

I probably should have worked the Dodgers in there, too...

Tiger23
08-30-2006, 10:04 PM
The point is that the Tigers' pitching staff is TIRED!

I disagree. The pitching has dropped off some, but it is the Tiger bats that have fallen asleep.

SoxFan76
08-31-2006, 12:31 PM
I disagree. The pitching has dropped off some, but it is the Tiger bats that have fallen asleep.

..............You guyz suck! :wired: Go Soxs!!!!!!1

And PH13, thank you.