PDA

View Full Version : Nook Logan

PorkChopExpress
08-30-2006, 03:39 PM
I saw in the Rumor Central blurb on espn.com that "Logan wants out of Detroit." I assume this means Nook Logan. If anyone with a subscription can confirm this I would appreciate it. If this is true, I wouldn't mind picking this guy up in the offseason. He is very fast, and if Podsednik goes next year, he could certainly be helpful either as our LF, platooning with a Sweeney or Owens, or even as a bench guy with some great speed. He may be a switch hitter too. Thoughts?

caulfield12
08-30-2006, 03:42 PM
I saw in the Rumor Central blurb on espn.com that "Logan wants out of Detroit." I assume this means Nook Logan. If anyone with a subscription can confirm this I would appreciate it. If this is true, I wouldn't mind picking this guy up in the offseason. He is very fast, and if Podsednik goes next year, he could certainly be helpful either as our LF, platooning with a Sweeney or Owens, or even as a bench guy with some great speed. He may be a switch hitter too. Thoughts?

One major problem...why would DET even think of dealing him to one of their main competitors, a team that will have to face him 19 times in a season.

Lumsden was one thing, but a player blocked behind Granderson/Monroe/Thames is not someone you want to give that many opportunities to come back and beat you in the future.

Maybe if we work out a deal for another org. to acquire him, then take him from them (after having already worked out a deal beforehand?) But Dombrowski won't do that favor (directly). And it's not like they would get a top prospect for him from either the Sox or another team (see Gathright deal from TB to KC, Howell, although a first rounder, was an obvious bust like Borchard).

MarySwiss
08-30-2006, 04:04 PM
According to someone at the Tigers board, he's been DFA.

mjmcend
08-30-2006, 04:08 PM
He has been DFA and there is no way in hell I want him anywhere near this team. Even if Hawk has a man crush on him. He was hitting just above .200 in the minors this year. He is fast and he may be able to steal bases. He can't hit.

Scottiehaswheels
08-30-2006, 04:12 PM
Imagine Uribe x 10 on breaking junk... if he could get his swing straightened out yes.... Maybe Walk will make a demand of someone he see's out there in the offseason like Coop did to get Thornton :smile:

DaleJRFan
08-30-2006, 04:17 PM
Jerry Owens > Nook Logan

I've never seen such piss poor defense in CF as I did watching him last year against the Sox. Why on eath does he stand on the warning track in a CF as expansive as Comerica?? Then again, I haven't seen Owens in the field, only watched his ST ABs.

Logan will probably end up like Gathwright, spend some time in the minors and get sent to a team willing and able to take a chance on a younger player with speed and upside. He won't end up on a contender like the Sox.

MarySwiss
08-30-2006, 04:21 PM
He has been DFA and there is no way in hell I want him anywhere near this team. Even if Hawk has a man crush on him. He was hitting just above .200 in the minors this year. He is fast and he may be able to steal bases. He can't hit.

I sometimes think these announcers just get into a player's name, if it sounds "baseball-y" enough. Remember how Harry Caray used to go on and on about Rod Carew? (Not that I am comparing Nook to Rod Carew in any way.)

Lip Man 1
08-30-2006, 05:08 PM
"My name is Roooooodddddd Carew." -- Harry Caray

Harry used to say it reminded him of a gunfighter from the old west.

Lip

caulfield12
08-30-2006, 05:28 PM
I sometimes think these announcers just get into a player's name, if it sounds "baseball-y" enough. Remember how Harry Caray used to go on and on about Rod Carew? (Not that I am comparing Nook to Rod Carew in any way.)

For what it's worth, Hawk was also enamored with the athletic ability of George Lombard. We'd probably have Bobby Higginson on the Sox if Hawk was the GM, or Dean Palmer.

WSox597
08-30-2006, 05:43 PM
We'd probably have Bobby Higginson on the Sox if Hawk was the GM, or Dean Palmer.

And Konerko in center field. Hey, the Carlton Fisk thing worked out so well.

DSpivack
08-30-2006, 06:21 PM
Nuke L? A crazy young kid who has a blazing fastball that tops out at 100 mph? Neh, we already have BBBJ. :cool:

Malgar 12
08-30-2006, 11:11 PM
Jerry Owens > Nook Logan

not to mention Pods > Logan... and Pods has struggled.

A. Cavatica
08-30-2006, 11:34 PM
Boone Logan > Nook Logan

Brian26
08-31-2006, 11:53 PM
Nook Logan is the fastest player I've ever seen in person. I was totally blown away by his speed when I saw him for the first time in 2004. The only problem is that he can't get on base to save his life, so the answer is no.

FedEx227
08-31-2006, 11:57 PM

And you know damn well Yaz would be our player-manager.

Brian26
09-01-2006, 12:01 AM
And you know damn well Yaz would be our player-manager.

Right now, Yaz might have better range in LF than twinkle-toes. I know he has a better arm. :D:

HotelWhiteSox
09-01-2006, 12:32 AM
We might as well get Willie again and make one certain fan very happy

FedEx227
09-01-2006, 12:34 PM
Who?

CubsfansareDRUNK
09-04-2006, 02:50 PM
I found Nook! He's on the Nasty Nats :bandance:

TDog
09-06-2006, 12:41 PM

Actually, I read a quote from Harrelson when he was GM that it was his idea, and not LaRussa's, to put Fisk in left field.