PDA

View Full Version : September!

Gavin
08-30-2006, 01:56 PM
The White Sox have (so far) went 15-12 in August, a dissapointment that has largely been underemphasized due to Detroit's slide. September's schedule (after the 2 remaining August games against Tampa) shapes up to be:

EASIER (13):
3 @ KC
4 vs. CLE
3 vs. SEA
3 @ CLE

MODERATE (3)
3 @ LAA

HARDER (12)
3 @ BOS
3 @ OAK
3 vs. DET
3 @ MIN (1 in Oct.)

I'm liking it. If the Sox can win 3/4 of those harder series and all of the easy series, they should shore up an easy 18 (edit) wins putting their record at 95 wins, which should be enough. I just hope Detroit keeps on slipping up.

Scottzilla
08-30-2006, 01:59 PM
is this such a good thing? i thought the sox were playing better vs. the tougher teams?

Gavin
08-30-2006, 02:01 PM
Regardless, if I had to play a series against the Yankees or the Devil Rays to get into the playoffs, I'd choose the Devil Rays every time.

batmanZoSo
08-30-2006, 02:07 PM
The White Sox have (so far) went 15-12 in August, a dissapointment that has largely been underemphasized due to Detroit's slide. September's schedule (after the 2 remaining August games against Tampa) shapes up to be:

EASIER (13):
3 @ KC
4 vs. CLE
3 vs. SEA
3 @ CLE

MODERATE (3)
3 @ LAA

HARDER (12)
3 @ BOS
3 @ OAK
3 vs. DET
3 @ MIN (1 in Oct.)

I'm liking it. If the Sox can win 3/4 of those harder series and all of the easy series, they should shore up an easy 18 (edit) wins putting their record at 95 wins, which should be enough. I just hope Detroit keeps on slipping up.

We have a chance to make it 17-12 (.586) which is a 95 win clip. Yes, not the big comeback type month we ideally hoped for, but considering 29 games in 31 days--and still the pitching hasn't been all there--that's not too bad.

We're primed for a Septemba to Rememba *does best Jesse Jackson voice*

MrRoboto83
08-30-2006, 02:14 PM
I wouldn't label the Cleveland games as easy, with the Indian offense against the Sox pitching, I'm a little worried. NOt to mention the Sox vs Sabathia and Westbrook are not very good.

southwstchi4life
08-30-2006, 02:16 PM
September, Man Im excited, this is gonna be quite a race. Its time for the pitching to step up. Get back to SOME small ball, which we have been showing as of late.

Dan Mega
08-30-2006, 02:21 PM
Thank God that September is almost here.

It just means that October is that much closer.

Chicken Dinner
08-30-2006, 02:33 PM
On any given day any major league club can beat another one. Nothing is easier or moderate when you need them all. They're all hard. They just need to play good baseball and don't give any away.

Jurr
08-30-2006, 03:53 PM
The way things are shaping up, the Sox and Twins are going to both be breathing down the necks of the Tiggers when the ninth month actually begins. Three teams - two spots. You have to love it.

Does the experience of Minnesota and the Sox carry them past the Tigers into the playoffs? It could very well turn out that way. Talk about collapses!

balke
08-30-2006, 03:57 PM
Sox cut the lead of the Tigers in half in August, so far they are doing thier job. Now they have to really bring it all in September. Time to write up their own October invitations.

mccoydp
08-30-2006, 04:29 PM
The White Sox have (so far) went 15-12 in August, a dissapointment that has largely been underemphasized due to Detroit's slide.

The Sox had sub-.500 months of August in 2005 and 2004, right? Please fact check me on 2004.

15-12 is ok so far, IMO.

Lip Man 1
08-30-2006, 05:02 PM
A few things...

Considering the schedule I'd say a winning record was pretty damn good for August. It could have been better had the Sox not gone to sleep against the Royals but it certainly beats last season.

September for good or bad is even tougher then August. A West Coast trip, few home games and the final week on the road including (gulp) the last three in Minnesota.

Lip

SoxEd
08-30-2006, 05:23 PM
Here are the three teams' Sept (& 01 Oct) schedules:

DET----------MIN----------CWS
3 v LAA -----3 @ NYY -----3 @ KC
3 v SEA -----3 @ TB-------3 @ BOS
4 @ MIN-----4 v DET-------4 v CLE
off day------3 v OAK-------3 @ LAA
2 v TEX------4 @ CLE-------off day
off day-------off day-------3 @ OAK
3 v BAL------3 @ BOS------3 v DET
3 @ CWS----3 @ BAL-------4 v SEA
1 @ BAL-----4 v KC--------3 @ CLE
3 @ KC------3 v CWS------off day
off day--------------------3 @ MIN
3 v TOR
3 v KC

The thing that worries me immediately is home-field advantage at the end of the season - the Tiggers & spongecakes have it in the last two series, we don't.

Detroit's remaining schedule is the most broken up, but also the easiest.
We appear to have the most travel.

More worryingly, given past Sox teams' performances, we have 6 games left to play in California.
:o:

Of course, we don't have to face the current Champs in the run-in, whereas the others do.
:wink:

Fake Chet Lemon
08-30-2006, 05:26 PM
On any given day any major league club can beat another one. Nothing is easier or moderate when you need them all. They're all hard. They just need to play good baseball and don't give any away.

You REALLY don't believe one schedule can be easier than another one to play :o: ?

aryzner
08-30-2006, 05:28 PM
I am happy that the Twins have to play the Yankees coming up next. I think (am hoping) that the Yankees will win 2 of 3 at least in that series and that will be a big plus for the Sox.

gbergman
08-30-2006, 06:04 PM
Cleveland will not be a piece of cake. Every game here should be considered hard as teams do not give wins away especially when they can play spoiler.

Chicken Dinner
08-30-2006, 06:19 PM
You REALLY don't believe one schedule can be easier than another one to play :o: ?

Not the we we play.