PDA

View Full Version : Tearing Down Metrodome?

woodsdavid
08-30-2006, 10:42 AM
Went to recent Twins series, and always fun seeing a games at another park, but completely bizarre-o seeing baseball in a dome. No air, no sky, no fireworks after HRs!

But while Hump-dome completely lacks any charm (dump-dome), sure was loud in that concrete box w/ a bubble top. Weird air-lock effect getting in and out.

Lots of locals see AAA games in St. Paul if they want to be outside and actually have some atmosphere/surroundings.

Now that we're fairly sure MN will be an ongoing part of the MLB, what's the timetable for them leveling the HHH Metrodome and building an outdoor stadium? Would the Vikes continue to play in the dome?

skottyj242
08-30-2006, 10:46 AM
Here ya go:

http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/min/ballpark/index.jsp

TheOldRoman
08-30-2006, 11:31 AM
The Twins are leaving, but the legacy lives on. The dump will be around for a while longer.
The UM Golden Gophers play football there (the reason the 9/30 game isn't televised), and they have been trying recently to get their own stadium on campus (a novel idea). I don't know the status of that deal right now, but I heard that UM had a pretty good chance of getting it.
The Vikings are also trying to get a new stadium built. They aren't even close. I would guess they are going to be in the dome for at least 8 more years.

soxfan13
08-30-2006, 11:53 AM
But while Hump-dome completely lacks any charm (dump-dome), sure was loud in that concrete box w/ a bubble top. Weird air-lock effect getting in and out.

I do remember the air-lock, it was like a little mini-windstorm:smile:

Nellie_Fox
08-30-2006, 12:13 PM
The new on-campus stadium for the Gophers is a done deal. Architects are designing it right now. The Vikings are the only ones left holding the baggie, as it were, with no new home being provided by the taxpayers (yet) so unless something changes, such as Ziggy Wilf deciding to use some of his own billions to build something, the Vikings are stuck in the dome for a while.

Norberto7
08-30-2006, 12:22 PM
I'd like to see how they demolish the place. I'd guess it would take a crew of about two with some sharp object to just pop the whole building.

Scottzilla
08-30-2006, 12:25 PM
Here ya go:

http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/min/ballpark/index.jsp
Is there some law now that sports stadiums must have a view of the city center?

cbrownson13
08-30-2006, 12:26 PM
I have a close friend that lives in Blaine, MN, and he told me that there was approval to build the Vikings a new stadium in Blaine.

Maybe this deal fell through and I just haven't heard it from him.

NoShoesJoe
08-30-2006, 12:30 PM
Is there some law now that sports stadiums must have a view of the city center?

I'm a little jealous. It would been a nice view from ours. Imagine the fireworks rising above the Sears Tower.

http://whitesoxinteractive.com/images/BackstopPerspective.jpg

Scottzilla
08-30-2006, 12:35 PM
haha you got me NoShoesJoe, i am so hating on the fact that we missed out because it probably would be the best view unless they built a park in manhattan.

Nellie_Fox
08-30-2006, 12:36 PM
I have a close friend that lives in Blaine, MN, and he told me that there was approval to build the Vikings a new stadium in Blaine.

Maybe this deal fell through and I just haven't heard it from him.There has never been approval of a stadium in Blaine. The Vikings started acting like it was a lock, but it didn't happen.

Link (http://www.stadiumsofnfl.com/future/VikingsStadium.htm)

Norberto7
08-30-2006, 12:47 PM
I'm a little jealous. It would been a nice view from ours. Imagine the fireworks rising above the Sears Tower.

Agree, that would have been a gorgeous view from the upper level.

I wonder if the New Comiskey renderings of the time similarly had the Stateway Gardens high-rises towering above the left field ironwork?

batmanZoSo
08-30-2006, 01:03 PM

The design for Armour Field (like it would really be named that) called for ridiculous dimensions. Something like 200 down the lines and like left center was somewhere in Chinatown. Exaggerating obviously, but it was pretty quirky. I don't like the idea having a ballpark that forces you to tailor your team this way or that or creates a potentially destructive tendency for the hitters. I like having a meat and potatoes park as far as dimensions go.

The Twins might suffer as a franchise when they vacate the Baggy. That's unless they learn how to win on the road. This year, .500 team on the road, all time, 0-6 in World Series road games (during the dome era). 8-0 and two World Champsionships in the HHHH Dome. The extra H is for Hefty bag.

Scottzilla
08-30-2006, 01:13 PM

The design for Armour Field (like it would really be named that) called for ridiculous dimensions. Something like 200 down the lines and like left center was somewhere in Chinatown. Exaggerating obviously, but it was pretty quirky. I don't like the idea having a ballpark that forces you to tailor your team this way or that or creates a potentially destructive tendency for the hitters. I like having a meat and potatoes park as far as dimensions go.

The Twins might suffer as a franchise when they vacate the Baggy. That's unless they learn how to win on the road. This year, .500 team on the road, all time, 0-6 in World Series road games (during the dome era). 8-0 and two World Champsionships in the HHHH Dome. The extra H is for Hefty bag.

I think you just contradicted yourself, the quirkyness of the humpdome has helped the twins win a lot of games and even WS.

Though i would not want quirky for quirky's sake.

StillMissOzzie
08-30-2006, 03:40 PM

I have never understood all the Twinkie hate for their home/away records during their two WS championships. The AL had home field advantage both years, and they took advantage of it. If they won all of their home games and lost all of their road games in the two WS's, then their opposition did exactly the same thing! The Twinks were just fortunate enough to do so when they had more home games than did the NL teams.

SMO
:gulp:

Blueprint1
08-30-2006, 03:46 PM
Another stadium that look exactly like all the other ones. When are people going to stop calling these original ideas and call them the new cookie cutter stadium. The best part about the Cell is that you can walk around the entire field and see the game. I have yet to see this at another new stadium.

ma-gaga
08-30-2006, 04:03 PM
The new on-campus stadium for the Gophers is a done deal. Architects are designing it right now.

Well, not quite. Architects are bidding on the job. As far as I know, it hasn't been awarded yet.

Our company is 'chasing' it. :cool:

FielderJones
08-30-2006, 04:11 PM
I do remember the air-lock, it was like a little mini-windstorm

http://static.flickr.com/37/123395917_0c3b06a087_m.jpg
"Open the pod bay door, HAL."

C-Dawg
08-30-2006, 04:41 PM
Another stadium that look exactly like all the other ones. When are people going to stop calling these original ideas and call them the new cookie cutter stadium. The best part about the Cell is that you can walk around the entire field and see the game. I have yet to see this at another new stadium.

I keep saying it - Someday the Cell will be appreciated by the rest of the world for its clean, uncluttered lines and lack of gimmicks. Maybe a few more World Series titles will do the trick.

MrRoboto83
08-30-2006, 04:45 PM

Actually I believe the new Twins park and new Yankee Stadium will have open concourses.

ewokpelts
08-30-2006, 04:49 PM
Actually I believe the new Twins park and new Yankee Stadium will have open concourses.and miller park(although you werent able to do so during the all star game)

palehozenychicty
08-31-2006, 02:53 AM
I'd like to see how they demolish the place. I'd guess it would take a crew of about two with some sharp object to just pop the whole building.

:rolling:

C-Dawg
08-31-2006, 08:32 AM
and miller park(although you werent able to do so during the all star game)

Miller Park reminds me of a maze; its probably easy to get lost trying to walk around the whole place.

batmanZoSo
08-31-2006, 09:26 AM
I think you just contradicted yourself, the quirkyness of the humpdome has helped the twins win a lot of games and even WS.

Though i would not want quirky for quirky's sake.

No I didn't. The "quirkyness" of the Dome is the kind which makes it difficult for visitors to play there. It nothing to do with field dimensions. The quirks of a place like Armour field with short foul lines creates a tendency to try to hook the ball, which like I said can be a destructive tendency.

batmanZoSo
08-31-2006, 09:35 AM
I have never understood all the Twinkie hate for their home/away records during their two WS championships. The AL had home field advantage both years, and they took advantage of it. If they won all of their home games and lost all of their road games in the two WS's, then their opposition did exactly the same thing! The Twinks were just fortunate enough to do so when they had more home games than did the NL teams.

SMO
Well, I wasn't exactly hating them for it there, more or less making a point. Hey, kudos to them for taking advantage of where they play. Whenever they've had a competitive team, they've been very tough at home. The thing about their home field advantage is that it's caused by their playing in a park which is uniquely difficult to visit. So there is always going to be a vague "cheating" accusation of sorts among opposing fans. I know I wouldn't want to track fly balls against a white roof. I can't wait til the thing's gone for good.

DumpJerry
08-31-2006, 10:56 AM
Lots of locals see AAA games in St. Paul if they want to be outside and actually have some atmosphere/surroundings.
That stadium the Saints play in is on the site of a previous ballfield built in the late 1800's. A baseball team was organized at that original ballfield which eventually moved to Chicago is now known as the Chicago White Sox.

That is sacred ground up there at Lexington and Snelling in St. Paul!

Frater Perdurabo
08-31-2006, 11:29 AM

SMO

Because in 1987 in particular the Twins just were not that good. They went a pedestrian 85-77 during the regular season (56-25 at home and 29-52 away). Only MLB's ridiculous policy on alternating home field each year allowed them to have home field advantage against a clearly superior Cardinals team (and against a clearly superior Tigers team in the ALCS, although the Twins did win two games in Detroit).

Also, it has been documented in threads from several years ago, but the HHH operations staff actually helps the Twins cheat. In close games, notice that the fans (supposedly to keep the roof inflated) in the outfield actually blow only at certain times and in directions that benefit the Twins.

It will be good to see the Twins play in a park that doesn't ridiculously and unfairly advantage them.

ewokpelts
08-31-2006, 12:05 PM
Miller Park reminds me of a maze; its probably easy to get lost trying to walk around the whole place.thier maps are confusing, but it IS very easy to walk around in that place

ondafarm
08-31-2006, 12:20 PM
Statisticly, the bigger the difference between your home and away records, the more likely you are to make the playoffs. As in, if you have a really wierd park where no one else can beat you, then you are much more likely to be a playoff team. I think these numbers are inflated though by a) Twins, b) BoSox and c) Yankees. All have parks which cater to certain types of players and I appreciate the downfall of any of them, the parks I mean.

batmanZoSo
08-31-2006, 12:27 PM
Because in 1987 in particular the Twins just were not that good. They went a pedestrian 85-77 during the regular season (56-25 at home and 29-52 away). Only MLB's ridiculous policy on alternating home field each year allowed them to have home field advantage against a clearly superior Cardinals team (and against a clearly superior Tigers team in the ALCS, although the Twins did win two games in Detroit).

Also, it has been documented in threads from several years ago, but the HHH operations staff actually helps the Twins cheat. In close games, notice that the fans (supposedly to keep the roof inflated) in the outfield actually blow only at certain times and in directions that benefit the Twins.

It will be good to see the Twins play in a park that doesn't ridiculously and unfairly advantage them.

Wow. :o:

I knew they were a relatively weak regular season team in '87, but that's unbelievable. I take it back, I am ripping them. They owe that dome their lives. :wink:

BlackAndWhite
09-01-2006, 02:33 AM
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo

:rolleyes:

ondafarm
09-02-2006, 11:20 PM
I'd be happy to help tearing that place down.

Kub_Killer_15
09-03-2006, 01:09 AM
I went up there for the White Sox series and I thought it was going to be a real dump but there I say it wasnt as bad as expected beside it was a nice night and I was cramped up inside. I was in the upper deck and it had a great view unlike miller park where I sat 20 rows behind home plate and the seats dont go down enough in front of you so I saw about 25% of the game and 75% of the big head infront of me. But I think they should use the dome as a kind of training camp for kids that want to learn how to play baseball which isn't such a bad idea because the Twins won world seires titles in there so it will be a shame if they tear it down already.