PDA

View Full Version : Blue Line for tonights game - need help

Law11
08-30-2006, 10:31 AM
Taking the Blue line in tonight for the game. Never took the L from up here before.. Starting at Cumberland

What connects to the Red Line in the loop. Jackson, State?
Do I need to pay again or is its a simple connect?

Thanks ahead of time.

illini81887
08-30-2006, 10:32 AM
you can get off on washington or jackson, its simple connect

skottyj242
08-30-2006, 10:38 AM
Jackson is cleaner in my opinion.

Law11
08-30-2006, 10:43 AM
Looks like we'll take jackson.
Thanks..

jdm2662
08-30-2006, 10:44 AM
Get off at Jackson. Washington station is a dump.

BA: The Hitman
08-30-2006, 11:47 AM
If you ask me, the entire cta is a dump, washington and jackson are so close to each other that it doesnt matter where you get off.

RealMenWearBlack
08-30-2006, 12:05 PM
I usually take the green line to and from the game. It's much less crowded and the walk isn't that much farther.

maurice
08-30-2006, 12:38 PM
When you get off the Blue Line, look for the stairs going DOWN to get to the Red Line.

skottyj242
08-30-2006, 12:40 PM
If you ask me, the entire cta is a dump, washington and jackson are so close to each other that it doesnt matter where you get off.

Nobody asked you.

soxfanaticpaulie
08-30-2006, 12:42 PM
I usually get off at Washington. It's filthy, yes, but there is more room on the train when you transfer there. One more stop means one more stop full of people loaded onto the redline for the game. You don't want to have to wait for the next train if it is full.

Scottzilla
08-30-2006, 12:44 PM
actually if your going during rush hour or in the afternoon transfer at washington.
Youre more likely to be able to sit cuz a lot of people get on the train between washignton and jackson in the afternoon rush.

soxfan13
08-30-2006, 12:46 PM
Jackson is cleaner in my opinion.

Yeah cuz it matters. He is going to live there. Get off at washington better chance of a seat or staking your claim to an area standing.

itsnotrequired
08-30-2006, 12:46 PM
I usually get off at Washington. It's filthy, yes, but there is more room on the train when you transfer there. One more stop means one more stop full of people loaded onto the redline for the game. You don't want to have to wait for the next train if it is full.

I second this plan. Who cares if the station is dirty? It isn't like you have to wear mechanic's scrubs to walk through it. I mean, you wouldn't want to lick the floor at Jackson either.

Actually, the Monroe stop is between Washington and Jackson so transferring at Washington saves you TWO stops worth of people smashing their way onto the train.

On the other hand, skottyj242 and I got on Jackson at about 5:30 last night and actually got to sit down. Go figure...

soxfanaticpaulie
08-30-2006, 12:50 PM
It all depends on how early you are getting to the game, really. If you are on track to get there 45 min - 1 hr early, it won't make a difference. If you are getting there just in time for 1st pitch, like I usually do, then the train is PACKED, and your only chance to get a spot where you can breathe is to get on at Washington.

Chips
08-30-2006, 12:53 PM
Nobody asked you.

:rolling:

Scottzilla
08-30-2006, 12:54 PM

man i have to stop concentrating on work and post faster!

eriqjaffe
08-30-2006, 12:55 PM
I usually take the green line to and from the game. It's much less crowded and the walk isn't that much farther.I would concur, especially for post-game. You can transfer to/from the blue line at Clark/Lake.

Law11
08-30-2006, 01:22 PM
It all depends on how early you are getting to the game, really. If you are on track to get there 45 min - 1 hr early, it won't make a difference. If you are getting there just in time for 1st pitch, like I usually do, then the train is PACKED, and your only chance to get a spot where you can breathe is to get on at Washington.

I was planning on getting on at Cumberland at 4:30-4:40 ish..

ChiSox Fan 68
08-30-2006, 02:04 PM
We live in Hoffman Estates and always take the L to the game. It is the way to go. I agree with transferring at Washington. We waited til Jackson one time and it was so crowded that we couldn't get on the first Red Line train that came through.

We'll be getting on at Cumberland today around 4:00 - I'll have my new WSI shirt on!

soxfanaticpaulie
08-30-2006, 02:05 PM
Considering rush hour on weekday games, I'd just err on the side of caution and transfer at Washington if I were you.

DumpJerry
08-30-2006, 02:14 PM
I concur with the Green Line idea. Since it is above ground, the Green Line is squeaky clean.

skottyj242
08-30-2006, 02:16 PM
I concur with the Green Line idea. Since it is above ground, the Green Lind is squeaky clean.

What are you talking about Dump? You take the Red Line to Wrigley all the time.

C-Dawg
08-30-2006, 02:18 PM
Considering rush hour on weekday games, I'd just err on the side of caution and transfer at Washington if I were you.

I come from the Forest Park side of the Blue line (the Congress branch to the old-timers) and I transfer at Jackson; now I'm tempted to just stay on until Washington if it means a less-packed Red line train. Thanks for the tip!

BTW to the original poster: No you don't have to pay again when you transfer; its a free transfer. Go down the stairs, walk through the tunnel, and up the stairs at the other end, and you'll be at the red line.

Scottzilla
08-30-2006, 02:21 PM
I come from the Forest Park side of the Blue line (the Congress branch to the old-timers) and I transfer at Jackson; now I'm tempted to just stay on until Washington if it means a less-packed Red line train. Thanks for the tip!

BTW to the original poster: No you don't have to pay again when you transfer; its a free transfer. Go down the stairs, walk through the tunnel, and up the stairs at the other end, and you'll be at the red line.

you mean the PINK line? its ok you can say it and still be manly LOL

maurice
08-30-2006, 02:47 PM
you mean the PINK line? its ok you can say it and still be manly LOL

Forest Park = Blue Line
54th/Cermak = Pink Line

Law11
08-30-2006, 02:49 PM
We live in Hoffman Estates and always take the L to the game. It is the way to go. I agree with transferring at Washington. We waited til Jackson one time and it was so crowded that we couldn't get on the first Red Line train that came through.

We'll be getting on at Cumberland today around 4:00 - I'll have my new WSI shirt on!

Sounds like the plan. My wife works in that corporate corridor along the kennedy at Cumberland. Normally i just drive in but its not an option tonight.

I'll have my new bright Orange Bears shirt on on.. Why?? I have row AA behind the security guards down the 3base line and its an easy spot for my friends watching tonght.

Thanks for all the info.

StillMissOzzie
08-30-2006, 03:29 PM

I was gonna point that out, too, C-Dawg. Folks coming in from the Forest Park end of the Blue Line would transfer to the Red Line at their first opportunity, Jackson. Therefore, it makes sense for people coming in from the O'Hare direction to transfer at their first opportunity, Washington, in order to get a seat. And yes, both Washington & Jackson are free transfer points. I have never stayed on the Blue Line from Forest Park until Washington to test your theory, though. Let me know how that works for you!

As for eriqjaffe's suggestion; yes, you can transfer from the Green Line to the Blue Line at Clark/Lake, but they'll nick you for $0.25 for the transfer there. No biggie, but make sure you load up your fare card accordingly!

SMO
:gulp:

itsnotrequired
08-30-2006, 03:49 PM
I was gonna point that out, too, C-Dawg. Folks coming in from the Forest Park end of the Blue Line would transfer to the Red Line at their first opportunity, Jackson. Therefore, it makes sense for people coming in from the O'Hare direction to transfer at their first opportunity, Washington, in order to get a seat. And yes, both Washington & Jackson are free transfer points. I have never stayed on the Blue Line from Forest Park until Washington to test your theory, though. Let me know how that works for you!

As for eriqjaffe's suggestion; yes, you can transfer from the Green Line to the Blue Line at Clark/Lake, but they'll nick you for $0.25 for the transfer there. No biggie, but make sure you load up your fare card accordingly!

SMO
:gulp:

I transfer at points that allow me the greatest convenience. The extra 2 minutes spent on the Red and Blue may very well make up for not being on a crush loaded train. I've walked between stations before when no train was coming and I would have plenty of time to get to a closer station. There was nothing else to do so I might as well put myself in a position for a good seat.

On the other hand, I got mugged doing this before so maybe you don't want to listen to me.:rolleyes:

C-Dawg
08-30-2006, 04:33 PM

I believe its free there also. At least I've never had to pay.

:cool:

itsnotrequired
08-30-2006, 04:36 PM
I believe its free there also. At least I've never had to pay.

:cool:

That's because you don't have to pay a transfer there.

maurice
08-31-2006, 01:39 PM
you can transfer from the Green Line to the Blue Line at Clark/Lake, but they'll nick you for $0.25 for the transfer there.

You can get to the Green Line platform without paying again. Just go up the 1st escalator from the Blue Line and immediately turn left. Take those escalators all the way up to the top. When you get to the platform, cross the bridge to the other side to catch a train headed towards the Cell.

If you go any other way, you'll probably get hit for the transfer fee.