PDA

View Full Version : From the Freddy being Freddy quote book

caulfield12
08-30-2006, 10:07 AM
"I try to work hard and watch the runners, but those guys are really fast," Garcia said. "I keep trying, [but]I lose my rhythm so I really don't pay attention."

from chicagosports.com

He's starting to put his foot in his mouth about as much as...

JohnTucker0814
08-30-2006, 10:10 AM
I continued my protest against Garcia and didn't watch the game last night. There is something in me that makes my blood boil watching this guy mope around the mound like he doesn't care. You know he never used to be this bad at holding runners... what changed? Maybe he's smoking to much pot and that is slowing everything down. Regardless I can't stand the guy!!!!

caulfield12
08-30-2006, 10:20 AM
Garcia, Fisk, Mike Hargrove, Jason Bere, Contreras when he first came here and still occasionally....

Baldwin and Garland walking off the mound.

They're all slower than any movement Benji Molina makes on the basepaths.

mwc44
08-30-2006, 10:24 AM
Garcia is definitely the new definition of "The Human Rain Delay."

caulfield12
08-30-2006, 10:27 AM
''We talk to them about it every day,'' Guillen said. ''We send them messages through the newspaper, through the pitching coach. That's embarrassing.''

Garcia put it on the fact that the Devil Rays are a fast team.

''If I keep throwing over [to first], I'll lose my rhythm,'' Garcia said.

''Our pitchers have taken their lumps, but if you can get them into a big game, they step up,'' Konerko said. ''I think we're due to play well over the next six weeks.''

from suntimes.com
No wonder we lose to the Royals, Indians, Rangers, Orioles, M's, etc., with that attitude.

caulfield12
08-30-2006, 10:35 AM
"I was worried I was going to blow the lead," said Sox starter Freddy Garcia (13-8), who allowed five runs on seven hits in seven innings.

"I didn't think I had good stuff. I had to go and battle." (Interestingly, every time he's lost recently, he said he had his "good" stuff, lol)

"That's killing our team," Guillen said. "Every time Freddy had a runner on first, we knew they were going to score one run. For a fact. That's embarrassing the way they run. It's not just Freddy. It's everyone."

from dailysouthtown.com

Comforting words from an "ace" starter who's now worried about blowing games to a team that's one once in their last 20 tries on the road. Most stud pitchers would think the opposite, wouldn't they?

The Immigrant
08-30-2006, 10:40 AM
If the point of this thread is that Freddy Garcia sucks, you're preaching to the choir. He'll be in AAAA (NL) next year.

caulfield12
08-30-2006, 10:46 AM
No, not that he sucks, but that he actually says (and perhaps believes) some of the stuff coming out of his mouth.

I can't imagine any pitcher in the 50's or 60's saying, well, so and so's fast, so I won't even bother trying to stop them getting on 3rd with one out because I will get out of my rhythm...could it actually be worse than last night if he DID get out of his rhythm?

Gregory Pratt
08-30-2006, 10:51 AM
I will point out that Pierzynski is no good at throwing out runners. He rarely gets the throw down and usually doesn't even get it there on time.

Garcia and Contreras make it worse for him, but he's no good at it with Buehrle or Garland or Vazquez delivering.

Unregistered
08-30-2006, 10:58 AM
My favorite is this one:

Garcia also drew the ire of the Devil Rays for hitting Delmon Young in his first major-league at-bat after serving a 50-game suspension in the minors for throwing his bat at an umpire.

"Who?" Garcia replied when asked about [hitting Young].

Obviously not the answer the reporters were hoping to get. :D:

caulfield12
08-30-2006, 11:03 AM
http://biasedgiantsfanatic.blogspot.com/2005_03_06_biasedgiantsfanatic_archive.html

Some interesting stats (fielding) from his time in SF.

Comparison of AJ and Matheny.

MadetoOrta
08-30-2006, 11:07 AM
Throwing at Young in his first at-bat was a great signal to all ML umpires - "Delmon, you're a punk for doing that." He'll be hit by other pitchers too as a sign to the umps. You can yell at an ump, bump an ump, swear at an ump and point your finger at an ump but throwing your bat is way out of bounds. Smart move by Freddie. Hope he gets a close call or two down the stretch.

soxfan13
08-30-2006, 11:45 AM
I continued my protest against Garcia and didn't watch the game last night. There is something in me that makes my blood boil watching this guy mope around the mound like he doesn't care. You know he never used to be this bad at holding runners... what changed? Maybe he's smoking to much pot and that is slowing everything down. Regardless I can't stand the guy!!!!

you hate a man in a Sox uniform then I guess your not a real fan!!!!:tongue:

Chez
08-30-2006, 11:53 AM
Freddy can be frustrating to watch but, bottom line is that he has 13 wins and will likely finish the season with 15+. The problem with our rotation has been our 1-2 starters not 3-5.

Evman5
08-30-2006, 11:54 AM
Another disturbing trend was Garcia allowing four stolen bases on four attempts, raising his season total to 36 steals allowed in 37 tries.
''We talk to them about it every day,'' Guillen said. ''We send them messages through the newspaper, through the pitching coach. That's embarrassing.''
Garcia put it on the fact that the Devil Rays are a fast team. ''If I keep throwing over [to first], I'll lose my rhythm,'' Garcia said.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sports/cst-spt-sox30.html

I don't think I have ever heard a pitcher say that. It is almost as if Freddy is mailing it in because he is salty that he will be the one to go in the offseason to make room for McCarthy. I am embarassed for him at how bad he is a holding runners. Everytime he gives up a hit it is basically a double if the batter has two functioning legs.

0o0o0
08-30-2006, 12:03 PM
Freddy can be frustrating to watch but, bottom line is that he has 13 wins and will likely finish the season with 15+. The problem with our rotation has been our 1-2 starters not 3-5.

I think 3 and 5 deserve some of the blame, but no doubt, Mark and Jose have been more disappointing because you expect more from your 1 and 2 starters.

That said, Freddy is still brutal IMO.

Evman5
08-30-2006, 12:04 PM
Sorry I missed this:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77969

Feel free to delete this thread

CaptainBallz
08-30-2006, 12:05 PM
Uhhh, Freddy...Hold the goddam runners on first.:angry:

He loses his rhythm? That's the worst excuse I've ever heard.

Evman5
08-30-2006, 12:10 PM
Maybe the poision that Ozzie is bringing from Venezuela can kill Freddy. Or atleast this year's Freddy Garcia.

cbrownson13
08-30-2006, 12:22 PM
Uhhh, Freddy...Hold the goddam runners on first.:angry:

He loses his rhythm? That's the worst excuse I've ever heard.

Except for the one about him only being able to pitch well against good teams.

kobo
08-30-2006, 12:27 PM
Just because he is going to finish with 15+ wins does not mean he is pitching well. Wins for a pitcher are more of a team statistic than an individual statistic. Hell, his ERA is over 5.00 and he has that many wins, that should tell you that the Sox score a ton of runs for him when he pitches. If the Sox had not scored all those runs yesterday then Freddy would have lost the game. All of our starters, except for one, have been a problem this year. It's not limited to the 1-2 guys. Vazquez is our #5, are you telling me he hasn't been a problem?

CaptainBallz
08-30-2006, 12:33 PM

That's quite the understatement. They've all had moments of treachery. The only difference is that Freddy likes to be completely annoying about it and say stupid, stupid things. Hopefully, Ozzie and Coop are kicking his ass on his off days, because that attitude is completely unacceptable, ESPECIALLY while we're in the thick of a pennant race.

Grow up, Freddy.

kevin57
08-30-2006, 12:42 PM
No matter where the Sox finish this year, I do think that KW will shop him before the 2007 season. It looks like he partied a little too hearty last off-season and has lost the fire to win. Last year, he could be worked into focus and thus domination. This year, not.

0o0o0
08-30-2006, 12:48 PM
Just because he is going to finish with 15+ wins does not mean he is pitching well. Wins for a pitcher are more of a team statistic than an individual statistic. Hell, his ERA is over 5.00 and he has that many wins, that should tell you that the Sox score a ton of runs for him when he pitches. If the Sox had not scored all those runs yesterday then Freddy would have lost the game.

Ah, the Kyle Orton Effect: Plug in somone else in that spot and suddenly the first guy doesn't look so special.

I guess the good thing is he's pitching good enough not to lose? :dunno:

kobo
08-30-2006, 12:50 PM
I guess the good thing is he's pitching good enough not to lose? :dunno:
That's one way to look at it.

caulfield12
08-30-2006, 01:02 PM
Just because he is going to finish with 15+ wins does not mean he is pitching well. Wins for a pitcher are more of a team statistic than an individual statistic. Hell, his ERA is over 5.00 and he has that many wins, that should tell you that the Sox score a ton of runs for him when he pitches. If the Sox had not scored all those runs yesterday then Freddy would have lost the game. All of our starters, except for one, have been a problem this year. It's not limited to the 1-2 guys. Vazquez is our #5, are you telling me he hasn't been a problem?

See Wright, Danny

JohnTucker0814
08-30-2006, 01:46 PM
you hate a man in a Sox uniform then I guess your not a real fan!!!!:tongue:

Honestly you don't have to put that into teal... usually that is my stance, if they are in a Sox uniform I cheer for them! HOWEVER, with Freddy it gets me so frustrated, and then I drove 3 hours to go to the Fan Fest in Chicago to get some autographs on my world series picture and he was a no show. It was the 2nd time he was a no show on me. Thank goodness Ozuna, Jenks and a few others had the decency to show up. I think it was Freddy's birthday that day and thats why he didn't show... but why did he even accept it if it was a party night... btw he sucked major butt the next day!

MeteorsSox4367
08-30-2006, 01:49 PM
Even though Tampa Bay does have an ample amount of young talent (Crawford, Baldelli, Upton, etc.), the fact that Garcia damn near gave away a 7-0 lead after two innings is unacceptable. It's unacceptable in late April and it's damn sure unacceptable in late August in the middle of a pennant race.

If Garcia had one bad outing, then you could say it's an aberration. But to me, it seems like he doesn't care. If I win, fine. If I don't, I've still made enough money to afford blond highlights in my hair. If I see one more "Who gives a &#@!" rolling-ass curveball from him, I'm gonna lose it.

Hey, Freddy - we Sox fans care. A lot. How about you?

Have fun pitching for the Nationals next season.

jenn2080
08-30-2006, 01:52 PM
Except for the one about him only being able to pitch well against good teams.

way to many excuses.

MrX
08-30-2006, 01:56 PM
He may lose his rhythm and do something like give up 5 runs to the D-Rays letting them back in a game

batmanZoSo
08-30-2006, 02:15 PM
Classic.

Lose your rhythm? Uh, it's part of being a pitcher to devote some of your attention to the runner and still maintain your rhythm.

"Who?"

:rolling:

DaleJRFan
08-30-2006, 02:20 PM
I actually kinda/sorta agree with what Garcia is saying. Worry about the batters. If you allow a baserunner, so what... if you get the next guy (or two) out, then the baserunner is meaningless.

Make outs by making quality pitches instead of trying to make outs with pickoffs or throwing out baserunners.

Problem is, Freddy isn't making very many quality pitches.

ilsox7
08-30-2006, 02:30 PM
I actually kinda/sorta agree with what Garcia is saying. Worry about the batters. If you allow a baserunner, so what... if you get the next guy (or two) out, then the baserunner is meaningless.

Make outs by making quality pitches instead of trying to make outs with pickoffs or throwing out baserunners.

Problem is, Freddy isn't making very many quality pitches.

Except, when you allow a guy to get on base, then let him steal 2nd standing up, you can easily give up a run while still getting 2 outs. It's one thing if he is striking out every other hitter. It's another if they put the ball in play and advance runners, making the stolen bases the key to the run being scored. This happened again yesterday and cost Freddy and the team a run.

Foulke You
08-30-2006, 02:31 PM
Even though Tampa Bay does have an ample amount of young talent (Crawford, Baldelli, Upton, etc.), the fact that Garcia damn near gave away a 7-0 lead after two innings is unacceptable. It's unacceptable in late April and it's damn sure unacceptable in late August in the middle of a pennant race.

If Garcia had one bad outing, then you could say it's an aberration. But to me, it seems like he doesn't care. If I win, fine. If I don't, I've still made enough money to afford blond highlights in my hair. If I see one more "Who gives a &#@!" rolling-ass curveball from him, I'm gonna lose it.

Hey, Freddy - we Sox fans care. A lot. How about you?

Have fun pitching for the Nationals next season.
Oh please. So you have a portal into the mind of Freddy Garcia? He cared enough to help this team win a World Series last year for the first time since 1917 but how quickly everyone forgets. I don't know about you but winning a championship showed me that Freddy cared. Everytime we needed him in a big game last year he showed up. He won the AL Central clincher, beat the Cubs twice, he won Game 3 against Boston in the ALDS, pitched a complete game in the ALCS, he pitched a shutout gem in Game 4 against Houston. So now that Freddy is having a down year which many pitchers go through (take a look at Mark Mulder this year for example) he doesn't care whether he wins or loses? Gimme a break!

You can call out Freddy's poor performances this year, or his inability to hold runners (something he did last year too), but you can't call him out as not being a competitor. You don't win a World Series like he did by not caring.

http://www.seattlest.com/attachments/seattle_dan/garcia3.jpg

Scottzilla
08-30-2006, 02:37 PM
he could show up for the big game and not give two bits about you as a fan or the organazation.
im not here to rip on freddy though, someone maybe needs to make him understand that hes hurting himself letting those runners stroll in to scoring position

JB98
08-30-2006, 02:41 PM

Didn't Freddy begin the season as our No. 2 starter? He started the second game of the season, if I'm not mistaken.

Regardless of the what position Garcia occupies in the rotation, he is a better pitcher than what I saw from him last night or what I've seen from him throughout much of the year. I expect better from him, and I'm not real encouraged by his comments about potentially blowing the game.

hawkjt
08-30-2006, 02:45 PM
Honestly, I do not see one thing about Freddies mound behavior that is different than last year. He has always had that casual body language out there- even in game 4 of the World Series. It does not indicate he is not trying or wanting to excel.

AS for the steals, he did not have as many baserunners last year cuz he pitched better and I do think the league was not as aware of his problem.

When I read that quote from him this morning after the whole buildup over the delmon young saga and Freddie responds '' Who?''

I laughed out loud at that one. It was a classic.

Two options;

1. Freddie so oblivious to everything around him that he actually had no idea who young was and actually just missed his spot?

2. Ozzie ordered him to do it? more likely- I cannot see Freddie as coming up with that idea by himself. He does not seem to be that much of a baseball purist to be offended by youngs action.

Get off Freddies arse- he does what it takes to win 15-18 games this year. That aint chopped liver.

MeteorsSox4367
08-30-2006, 04:13 PM
Foulke You: I checked your profile and noticed that your favorite player is Garcia. The intent of my post was not to piss off anyone - especially a fellow Sox fan.

I know Garcia obviously has talent, but it's frustrating to watch him pitch poorly, not hold runners on and get his rolling curveball hammered. I don't have a portal into his mind; I'm just going by what I see, hear and read.

If the Sox are going to win it again, they need Garcia (along with every other starter with the exception of Garland) to pitch much better.

Peace and Go Sox.

monkeypants
08-30-2006, 04:52 PM
Freddy has become a miserable sack of crap as a pitcher which in turn is turning me into a miserable sack of crap while I watch him.

He just doesn't seem to care or has lost the fire, especially after his comments that he feels like he will be traded in the offseason. This indifference about his own performance has gotten old and I'm not going to shed any tears when he's gone after the season is over. I just wish that he would make the effort and lay off the excuses, if not for himself then at least for his team and fans.

Foulke You
08-30-2006, 05:13 PM
Foulke You: I checked your profile and noticed that your favorite player is Garcia. The intent of my post was not to piss off anyone - especially a fellow Sox fan.

I know Garcia obviously has talent, but it's frustrating to watch him pitch poorly, not hold runners on and get his rolling curveball hammered. I don't have a portal into his mind; I'm just going by what I see, hear and read.

If the Sox are going to win it again, they need Garcia (along with every other starter with the exception of Garland) to pitch much better.

Peace and Go Sox.
No harm no foul. I guess I was just tired of another Freddy bashing thread so I had to defend him a bit. I do agree that Freddy has had a disappointing year but I will say in his defense is that even though he hasn't been nearly as good as last year, he does keep us in ballgames. You can pretty much count on him eating up 6 or 7 innings and giving up about 4 or 5 runs. As sad as it is, in today's American League, that is considered a decent start these days. However, that is not up to Freddy's standards of pitching and certainly not at the level a World Series team needs.

What is puzzling the most to me is Freddy's lower velocity this year. I'm not sure what the reason for it is, whether it is the World Baseball Classic, the high inning count from last year, or simply his older age but he isn't popping the mitt like he used to. He does have his arm strength built up to the point where he can hit 90 on the gun now (which is better than the 88 he was throwing in April and May) but this was a guy who was throwing about 94 mph last year in the World Series.

Freddy used to use his fastball to set up his breaking pitches. The slider, the change, and his sinking curve/cutter were all pitches he used after he established his fastball. Now that his fastball is just average, he doesn't use it nearly as much and seems to be relying on a larger array of offspeed pitches and breaking pitches. I believe he is making more mistakes with them because he is throwing them a whole lot more than he used to. Also, we all know Freddy has been easy to steal on but the fact that most of his pitches are offspeed these days makes it THAT much easier to run on him. He is relying exclusively on the offspeed pitches to get guys out. His style has totally changed from 2004 and 2005. He was more of a power pitcher before but now he has become a junkball version of himself. I'd like to see him learn how to locate his fastball better despite the lower velocity. He could still pitch like the old Freddy again if he just started to throw the fastball more but I think he has lost confidence in that pitch and won't throw it as often.

Regardless, Freddy probably has about 5 or 6 more starts in the season to make an impact. If he gets us 4 or 5 wins, and finishes strong I'm sure it will go a long way towards changing Sox fan's 2006 perceptions of him.

caulfield12
08-30-2006, 05:27 PM
If he gets those wins AND keeps from sticking his foot in his mouth, that might be enough.

Garcia and Garland have always been tagged with the "nonchalant" tag...there's no escaping it, so he will turn off quite a few fans before even throwing a pitch.

IMO, Garcia's over-reliance on breaking stuff (especially the slider) is what caused him to lose the velocity on his FB in the first place.

Watch Matt Garza pitch, Garcia was the same when he came up...about 80-85% fastballs.

It's one reason Twins fans should worry about Liriano and Santana...because those cutters or sliders can wreak havoc on young arms.

Mohoney
08-30-2006, 06:16 PM
No matter what happens with Freddy, Vazquez, Buehrle, or Contreras from here on out, one thing is certain.

I don't want any pitcher on this team to go anywhere near that stupid World Baseball Classic next March.

The Immigrant
08-30-2006, 06:24 PM
I don't want any pitcher on this team to go anywhere near that stupid World Baseball Classic next March.

Relax - I think it's only played once every 3-4 years, rather than annually.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Baseball_Classic

hawkjt
08-30-2006, 06:32 PM
fortunately the world baseball classic is only every other year so next march our guys will be in spring training where they belong.

Everyone is frustrated with freddie ,including ozzie, but he is healthy, he pitches many innings , and if he wins 17 games- he isnt the worst starter in the AL by a long shot.

I still want him on the bump in the playoffs. That '' nonchalance'' was pretty cool and collected in a game 4 shutout. Now if we can only get there.

caulfield12
08-30-2006, 07:08 PM
fortunately the world baseball classic is only every other year so next march our guys will be in spring training where they belong.

Everyone is frustrated with freddie ,including ozzie, but he is healthy, he pitches many innings , and if he wins 17 games- he isnt the worst starter in the AL by a long shot.

I still want him on the bump in the playoffs. That '' nonchalance'' was pretty cool and collected in a game 4 shutout. Now if we can only get there.

Over Buehrle or Contreras? No way.

Foulke You
08-30-2006, 07:11 PM
Exactly. You know Freddy won't wet the bed just because it is the 5th or 6th inning like Vazquez. Usually, the higher the stakes the more concentration Freddy has. If he gets burned, he missed his spots, it's not because he is a mental midget. I'd take my chances handing the ball to Freddy in a playoff game. You know he won't have to face KC or Tampa when he gets there.:tongue:

SouthSide_HitMen
08-31-2006, 06:21 PM
Freddy Garcia is the ultimate Anti Drug PSA.

Fab Five Freddy tells me everybody's high

SOXSINCE'70
09-01-2006, 09:12 AM
It's time for the man who calls himself "big game" to put up or
shut up.:angry: :angry: :angry: All Sox fans know what Garcia did in 2005.
Here's the problem: IT'S 2006!!!! A new year does not necessarily
mean that you can repeat what you did last year.His nonchalant
attitude about holding runners on first does concern me.

jenn2080
09-01-2006, 09:43 AM

The pitchers winning and losing record does not mean much. Esp when I am sure some of his games he has pitched in have ended in losing no decisions.