PDA

View Full Version : Roy Oswalt gets 5 yr $73M extention from Astros

StillMissOzzie
08-30-2006, 01:10 AM
Per ESPN.com, the Astros have extended pitcher Roy Oswalt for 5 more years at a total of $73M, which includes a $2M buyout. The price of quality starting pitching keeps going up.

SMO
:gulp:

palehozenychicty
08-30-2006, 01:12 AM
Dag. I wanted him in the offseason. :(:

monkeypants
08-30-2006, 01:21 AM
Any word if he got another tractor?

soxfanreggie
08-30-2006, 01:28 AM
Big contract but a relatively small buy-out. Does the buy-out only apply after a certain number of years? Nice safety net for the team if he underperforms.

StillMissOzzie
08-30-2006, 01:58 AM
Big contract but a relatively small buy-out. Does the buy-out only apply after a certain number of years? Nice safety net for the team if he underperforms.

Reggie, I think you've got the wrong idea on the buyout. In this case, the Astros have an option on Oswalt for the 2012 season at some really big number, but they can opt out for the $2M. Consider it severance pay, like that which Carrie "Balsa" Wood will get from the Cubs at the end of this season.

SMO
:gulp:

Edit: The deal calls for $16M for 2011, so the 2012 option would be in that neighborhood.

Gregory Pratt
08-30-2006, 01:59 AM
We need to extend Buehrle this offseason after we pick up his option. No testing the Free Market.

(Or maybe we should let him walk because he'd struggled for a few weeks. :rolleyes:)

TheOldRoman
08-30-2006, 03:11 AM
This is a LOT of money, but Houston did the right thing. This just adds to my believe that Zito will get 5 years/$85mil this offseason.
Oswalt is a much better pitcher right now, but a) there were no other teams bidding on him this time, b)he won't be available this offseason, and c) he hasn't won a Cy Young. Only the Mets, Angels, Yankees, or Dodgers will be in the bidding for Zito. He probably won't be worth half of the money he makes, but someone will stupidly pay it out.

gobears1987
08-30-2006, 11:06 AM
Per ESPN.com, the Astros have extended pitcher Roy Oswalt for 5 more years at a total of $73M, which includes a $2M buyout. The price of quality starting pitching keeps going up.

SMO
:gulp:Makes me gald our pitchers are locked up.

gobears1987
08-30-2006, 11:07 AM
We need to extend Buehrle this offseason after we pick up his option. No testing the Free Market.

(Or maybe we should let him walk because he'd struggled for a few weeks. :rolleyes:)Amen to extending Buehrle. We need to do that ASAP. Buehrle is the sort of pitcher I wouldn't mind having a 5 year deal on.

Tragg
08-30-2006, 11:23 AM
This is a LOT of money, but Houston did the right thing. This just adds to my believe that Zito will get 5 years/$85mil this offseason.
Oswalt is a much better pitcher right now, but a) there were no other teams bidding on him this time, b)he won't be available this offseason, and c) he hasn't won a Cy Young. Only the Mets, Angels, Yankees, or Dodgers will be in the bidding for Zito. He probably won't be worth half of the money he makes, but someone will stupidly pay it out.
Oswalt is a better pitcher right now, yesterday and will be tomorrow. If they were each in the same market, Oswalt would get 20% more, at least, to Zito. Maybe the Astros are getting a discount, but $13 mill a year is pretty darn salty....I don't see Zito getting more than that.

TheOldRoman
08-30-2006, 11:36 AM
Oswalt is a better pitcher right now, yesterday and will be tomorrow. If they were each in the same market, Oswalt would get 20% more, at least, to Zito. Maybe the Astros are getting a discount, but $13 mill a year is pretty darn salty....I don't see Zito getting more than that.
I know that Oswalt is better, too, but most people don't realize that. Zito won a Cy Young, and he gets all the hype. Either way, Zito will get way more than this in the open market.

CAREY33
08-30-2006, 01:56 PM

Zito will get more than Oswalt. Boras is gonna start a bidding war between the two New York teams. I also would rather have Oswalt than Zito, but don't forget Zito pitches in the American League while Oswalt pitches in glorified Triple A Ball.

hawkjt
08-30-2006, 02:49 PM
Bottom line is that as spotty as our pitching has been this year, Kenny did the right thing locking up Jose and Jon before the season. They look pretty cheap on average right now.

I agree that this offseason is the time to lock up Burls also. His numbers are not great enough this year to command as much as he is worth. Say, 5 year 50 million, works for me.

Starters are the rarest commodity in the sport- must develop more of it. And if you have proven starters- lock 'em up- you can always trade em.

Tragg
08-31-2006, 12:11 AM
Do yall think that the Sox will do whatever is necessary (within reason) to keep MB?

I surely hope so. I don't want to fill that void via trade, i don't see anyone in the minors ready, and I don't see anyone as good as him in the FA list (except the 2 who will go for a lot more than he'd cost us).

I know Zito is effective and pitches against tougher competition. Although I'm not a "Stuff" guy, Oswalt has it and in far greater amounts than Zito...and in contrast to many stuff guys, Oswalt also wins.

russ99
08-31-2006, 12:15 PM
The Astros sorely needed to do that signing, with Clemens and Pettite (retiring?) leaving at the end of the season and Backe questionable with recurring arm issues.

It will be interesting to see what Sout-side guy GM Tim Purpura will do with FA money to spend for the first time in his regime this offseason to reload the Astros on the fly.