PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Blood Clotts Aren't Fatal 8/29/06 Postgame Thread

BeviBall!
08-29-2006, 10:20 PM
But they hurt like a mother! Phew! Outlasted them!

Neal, Neal. What do we do with you?

caulfield12
08-29-2006, 10:21 PM
My alternative suggestion, lol....

slobes
08-29-2006, 10:21 PM
That was almost a nightmare. Glad to see the offense step it up big.

hi im skot
08-29-2006, 10:22 PM
A win is a win is a win is a win.

Big-time kudos to the offense on this one.

We'll take it!

4th Gen. Sox Fan
A win is a win, back in the lead for the wild card :bandance:

Unregistered
Yikes. Too close for comfort. But good win. Plus, Detroit's got a double header tommorrow. Odds are, they'll lose at least one.

whitesoxfan87
he got a strikeout....thats got to count for something

thomas35forever
:winner

:twinslose

cheeses_h_rice
08-29-2006, 10:23 PM
Goddamn.

At least we have two "real" pitchers in our bullpen in Thornton and Jenks. Cotts and Riske = suckass.

Oh, and Joey Cora? Can you please not waste scoring opportunities by sending Paul "Piano On My Back" Konerko around third base when he's going to be thrown out by 20 feet? You moron.

Oh, and Minnesota? Suck on third place.

:gulp:

WS in 05
he got a strikeout....thats got to count for something

wheres my sunglasses:redneck

Patrick134
Yikes. Too close for comfort. But good win. Plus, Detroit's got a double header tommorrow. Odds are, they'll lose at least one.

Games are 9 innings long. A game isn't over when you take an early lead. Nice win.

Bucky F. Dent
I'm trying to convince myself that with Vizcaino, Marte, Polite, and Cotts our bullpen was no more stable last year than it is this year. I guess the primary difference is that with our starters being so inconsistent this year, the problem with the pen is magnified.

jenn2080
damn Cotts. I hope they cage him at the zoo. That was close for comfort. Lets get them again Jon. Good game though. I thought AJ was gonna charge the mound tonight.

batmanZoSo
08-29-2006, 10:24 PM
One down. Six to go.

Seriously, I'd like to win all six if possible...

Gavin
I hate punny thread titles. Good win.

BeviBall!
It was good to see a lot of runs coming by way of hits that stayed in the ball park.

Lets get this crappy weather outta here and Thome back in tomorrow. Time for Garland to cement his legendary second half.

RowanDye
My favorite White Sox scrub is Neal Cotts...wait am I in the wrong thread?

Patrick134
Goddamn.

At least we have two "real" pitchers in our bullpen in Thornton and Jenks. Cotts and Riske = suckass.

Oh, and Joey Cora? Can you please not waste scoring opportunities by sending Paul "Piano On My Back" Konerko around third base when he's going to be thrown out by 20 feet? You moron.

Oh, and Minnesota? Suck on third place.

:gulp:

Great point on PK. I was in the car at that point, and i knew he was dead. Never send Konerko.

caulfield12
But they hurt like a mother! Phew! Outlasted them!

Neal, Neal. What do we do with you?

Not quite as bad as the Piranha-ish death by a thousand cuts.

But the skeleton of the cow that is the Sox got eaten to the bone by the D-Rays tonight.

doctorlecter
On paper, our middle relievers are a huge strength. We have four "setup quality" arms out there, and two of them can't get anybody out all of a sudden. Neal really worries me, his WHIP is like 2.78 after the break.

southsideirish71
Scoring 12 runs, and then having to use your closer = sad

Ozzie and KW need to have a little heart to heart with big game Freddy. When you are given a 7 to nothing lead on a bad team in a tooth and nail pennant race, come on.

Cotts = Charlotte

Joey Cora needs to figure out this coaching third thing. Waving Wendell must be channelling through him.

Thank you O, Thank you Mark Redman, thank you Jenks.

JB98
Pleased with the win. Happy with the offense. Glad to be back in the wild-card lead.

I'm not going to comment on the pitching because there is no dark cloudism allowed after victories. :cool:

thomas35forever
08-29-2006, 10:25 PM
To add to my previous post, I was already nervous about Cotts coming into games. Now Riske is pushing me towards that direction as well. Oh well. An ugly win.

NDSox12
The Cantu at bat against Cotts was a perfect example of what is wrong with Neal right now. He just can't throw anything by hitters. His fastball doesn't have the same life to it and he basically has nothing else to turn to....

Good thing we were playing the Devil Rays tonight. I'll take the win, but hope to see a couple good pitching outings the next two games.

ShoelessJoeS
Gotta love how Jenks gets the save when we score 12.

Unregistered
One down. Six to go.

Then that'd be "one down, FIVE to go," mathmagician. :cool:

BeviBall!
08-29-2006, 10:26 PM
I hate punny thread titles. Good win.

God forbid we have some fun on here. You must be a banker or an insurance salesman.

Bucky F. Dent
One down. Six to go.

Have to!

Absolutely have to take advantage of the fact that we are playing AAA talent over the course of the next five games.

pudge
if this team gets into the post-season, they'll stumble in backwards. let's just hope the starters decide to show up in october!

Patrick134

Ozzie and KW need to have a little heart to heart with big game Freddy. When you are given a 7 to nothing lead on a bad team in a tooth and nail pennant race, come on.

Cotts = Charlotte

Joey Cora needs to figure out this coaching third thing. Waving Wendell must be channelling through him.

Scoring 12 runs and losing would be sad. jenks barely broke a sweat.

caulfield12

Cotts = Charlotte

Actually, it wouldn't be the WORST idea in the world to put Cotts down on one of our minor league teams playing in the playoffs and see what he coudl get done. It's a better idea than ruining the season of the big league club.

slobes
08-29-2006, 10:27 PM

No duh! That's why it was in teal!

gbergman
08-29-2006, 10:28 PM
Nice to get a win. Are relief pitching needs help.

RowanDye
08-29-2006, 10:29 PM
Thank you O, Thank you Mark Redman

Apparently he was topping out at 84 mph tonight, wow!

link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=260829109)

How come Freddy can't have more luck against them lately?

joebro25
A win is a win. But what is up Cotts? he cant even pitch ok in mop-up duty.

Unregistered
No duh! That's why it was in teal!
So you're tealing about the teal? Is that like kidding about kidding?

My head hurts...

caulfield12
Have to!

Absolutely have to take advantage of the fact that we are playing AAA talent over the course of the next five games.

If the D-Rays EVER get any pitching, that young line-up is going to be a killer

And the Royals are pesky, another version of the Twins minus the pitching, although they've received two shutouts in the last three days (from believe it or not, Runelvys Hernandez versus TOR and now tonight).

I don't expect to sweep the Royals on the road, happy with two out of three.
And I don't feel confident about any game Vazquez starts.

ajismyhero
I thought the thread title was great!!!

Chisox003
Podsednik, only 1-4, but had 2 walks, 2 runs and a SB.

Reaching base 3 times, I'll take that any time. Keep it up Scott, we need it. And I LOVE Dye in the 3 hole. Keep him there.

caulfield12
08-29-2006, 10:30 PM
Apparently he was topping out at 84 mph tonight, wow!

link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=260829109)

How come Freddy can't have more luck against them lately?

Apparently, they ordered the radar gun off when Radke is pitching in the Dome.

slobes
08-29-2006, 10:31 PM
So you're tealing about the teal? Is that like kidding about kidding?

My head hurts...

"Use your Easy Button to find my Easy Button? Wouldn't that like, tear a hole in the universe of something?"

Your statement reminded me of that commercial.

Hitmen77
08-29-2006, 10:31 PM
Great point on PK. I was in the car at that point, and i knew he was dead. Never send Konerko.

Once again Cora is just windmilling blindly at 3rd base. PK was out by a mile.

zmz723
08-29-2006, 10:32 PM
MVP with 4 more rbi's and a home run tonight.

ShoelessJoeS
08-29-2006, 10:33 PM
Crede goes 4-5...where's the love?

batmanZoSo
08-29-2006, 10:34 PM

Uh no we have to win 7 in a row now. It's the new thing. :unsure:

Hitmen77
Freddy wasn't the greatest tonight. But, hey, he went 7 innings. That really helped because Cotts and Riske were garbage tonight and we didn't have to overextend the rest of our bullpen to preserve the win.

Unregistered
Uh no we have to win 7 in a row now. It's the new thing. :unsure:
I promise not to complain if that happens. :bandance:

batmanZoSo
08-29-2006, 10:36 PM
I promise not to complain if that happens. :bandance:

And if we do I'm flying to NY to punch you in the neck. :moonwalk:

Unregistered
08-29-2006, 10:38 PM
And if we do I'm flying to NY to punch you in the neck. :moonwalk:
http://www.ipswich-norwich.coop/data/usercontentroot/incs/foodstores/_imgs_Its%20a%20Deal%20P11/itsadeal2005.GIF

Gavin
08-29-2006, 10:40 PM
God forbid we have some fun on here. You must be a banker or an insurance salesman.
Do you really think "Blood Clotts Aren't Fatal" is clever? How about "8/29 Postgame Discussion"--does the simplicity and clarity alarm you?

0o0o0
08-29-2006, 10:41 PM
A win is a win buuuuuuuuut...

Freddy Garcia is just bad. I don't like the fact that he has to be depended on down the stretch, but what can you do?

And I don't like the fact that Cotts keeps getting run out there during a playoff race.

Real nice to see Scottie with another good game. And JD is just JD.

Rob190
08-29-2006, 10:41 PM
Freddy wasn't the greatest tonight. But, hey, he went 7 innings. That really helped because Cotts and Riske were garbage tonight and we didn't have to overextend the rest of our bullpen to preserve the win.

Fortunatly. Thorton came in and bailed out the Sox.

0o0o0
08-29-2006, 10:44 PM
Do you really think "Blood Clotts Aren't Fatal" is clever? How about "8/29 Postgame Discussion"--does the simplicity and clarity alarm you?

No, it's just boring. :thud:

Lip Man 1
A win is a win is a win...I'll take it.

Damn Cotts is bad...I mean Cliff Politte bad!!!!!

Lip

JorgeFabregas
Anyone else think that the strike zone (for both teams) was pretty tight and got tighter as the night wore on? No wonder there were 21 runs.

zmz723
08-29-2006, 10:45 PM
Damn Cotts is bad...I mean Cliff Politte bad!!!!!

Lip

:o:

PeoriaSoxFan
08-29-2006, 10:47 PM

Cotts = Charlotte

Well said on all counts.

caulfield12
08-29-2006, 10:54 PM

Isn't "Riske Business As Cotts Barely Cotts the Mustard" better, lol?

PeoriaSoxFan
08-29-2006, 10:54 PM
I agree with an earlier post in that AJ was thinking about charging the mound. That sure looked intentional. It is ridiculous how much this guy is getting beaned.

I am concerned with Riske. I have given up on Cotts already and wish they would give him the obligatory "I am hurt" 15 day DL trip. Riske though was fairly solid until recently. Hopefully, it is just a blip on the radar. I also worry about seeing Hermanson next month. Hopefully, he will first prove himself in a non-crucial situation. Any indications yet on who the Sox call ups will be? Likely Chris Stewart for sure and I'd say Jerry Owens also (for speed). Boone Logan? Sean Tracey? Montero?

Kenny still has a couple days for a waiver deal. I say get fat boy David Wells. He has been pitching well as of late and is definitely on the block. Plus, the guy owes us for sucking so bad here a few years back.

Chips
08-29-2006, 10:55 PM
:winner

Cotts is a busted leg.

caulfield12
08-29-2006, 10:56 PM
Julian Tavarez is available. Or maybe Canseco.

chisoxfanatic
08-29-2006, 10:57 PM
That one was by no means a quality game; but, it was effective nonetheless, and, as our Grinder Rules state, the only stat that matters is the 'W'.

Garcia and Cotts need to pull their heads out of their undersides and get in a Playoff Push mindset, or I'll hope both of them are gone this offseason!

Dan Mega
08-29-2006, 10:57 PM
A win is a win is a win. Go Sox. Good night.

DickAllen72
08-29-2006, 10:58 PM
Games are 9 innings long. A game isn't over when you take an early lead. Nice win.

Ugly win, but we'll take it. A win is a win.

But the Sox better start playing better baseball if they want to get anywhere. Anyway, at least I'll sleep well tonight. :smile:

zmz723
08-29-2006, 11:00 PM
That one was by no means a quality game; but, it was effective nonetheless, and, as our Grinder Rules state, the only stat that matters is the 'W'.

that seems to be the only rule they've been following this year

SoxSpeed22
08-29-2006, 11:27 PM
You get and 7 runs in the first 2 innings and still have to use your best 2 relievers at the end. This was easily the most dissapointing win this year, even though the 2 words really contradict. A win's a win.

Frankfan4life
08-29-2006, 11:46 PM
JD, as usual, is the MAN! BBJ, thanks for the 1-2-3 9th. I feel pretty good about this team as long as the offense is producing and scoring early and late. They're going to have to continue to do that to compensate for some of the poor pitching performances.

I also must thank KC for chowing down on some "piranha" tonight. http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aetsch/cheeky-smiley-034.gif

Norberto7
08-29-2006, 11:50 PM
Does the name "Brian Meadows" scream faceless Devil Rays relief pitcher to you, too?

StillMissOzzie
08-29-2006, 11:58 PM
Isn't "Riske Business As Cotts Barely Cotts the Mustard" better, lol?

How about "Riske Business As Neal Cotts The Cheese"?

Thank you, thank you very much! I'll be here all week! Try the veal, and don't forget to tip your server!

SMO
:D:

BadBobbyJenks
08-29-2006, 11:59 PM
Kudos to the thread title.

I was really hoping to have a laugher after we put up 7 but a win is a win is a win. Cotts can not put anyone away even when he is ahead 0-2, its a little disturbing, but hes in mop up duty now so Im not toooo worried.

At least Coop has got thornton. I believe its about time Jenks get put into the roy race, I believe hes eligible is he not?

10 bucks to win 28 on the royals yesssss.

We got the lead now lets not look back.

Jermaine Dye continues being awesome.

:gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

BadBobbyJenks
08-30-2006, 12:02 AM

Jesus Christ give me a ****ing break

0o0o0
08-30-2006, 12:05 AM
At least Coop has got thornton. I believe its about time Jenks get put into the roy race, I believe hes eligible is he not?

No. I don't remember exactly what the requirements are for innings pitched and games and what not, but he met those last year.

BadBobbyJenks
08-30-2006, 12:08 AM
No. I don't remember exactly what the requirements are for innings pitched and games and what not, but he met those last year.

Ah, and I just thought it was east coast bias......I guess I really should have wondered why Jenks' name never is thrown out in the discussion

goon
08-30-2006, 12:15 AM
Does the name "Brian Meadows" scream faceless Devil Rays relief pitcher to you, too?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v53/goon31/fellows.jpg

that rat needs a haircut.

i'm brian fellow!

monkeypants
08-30-2006, 12:15 AM
You get and 7 runs in the first 2 innings and still have to use your best 2 relievers at the end. This was easily the most dissapointing win this year, even though the 2 words really contradict. A win's a win.
I couldn't agree more. I'm glad the Sox can outslug just about every team because right now the pitching is almost as bad as the Rays. I'm going to say that again just to let it sink in. The Sox pitching right now is almost as bad as the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. Thank whatever deities there are that we still have some studs in the pen because the majority of our starters and middle relief are not getting it done.
It's surprising that we not only won but also moved into the Wild Card lead after today.
A win is a win. But this would not be a win in a playoff game.

CHISOXFAN13
08-30-2006, 12:45 AM
A win is a win buuuuuuuuut...

Freddy Garcia is just bad. I don't like the fact that he has to be depended on down the stretch, but what can you do?

And I don't like the fact that Cotts keeps getting run out there during a playoff race.

Real nice to see Scottie with another good game. And JD is just JD.

Who the **** do you want to trot out there with a six-run lead against the team with the worst road record in the AL? *****.

A lot of bitching tonight despite the fact the Sox gained a game when nobody here believed that could happen.

Mark Redman with a complete game shutout at the Dome? Wow, I'll take it.

PicktoCLick72
08-30-2006, 12:53 AM
Way too much whining after a win. Complaining is not going to do anything so just enjoy the win. The game is over so no ned to dwell on the mistakes. That is what causes so much insanity around here during times like these. As someone said before the only stat that matters is the "W." It does not matter if this would have been a playoff win because it is not the playoff right now. Just be happy and go get them tomorrow.

cheezheadsoxfan
08-30-2006, 12:53 AM
Just got back from game. Seems like the more run support you give Freddy the more he gives back. He must zone out when there's more than a 2 run lead. Won't even go into the bullpen tonight. Not really complaining tho, at this point in the season all that counts is the W. Nice to see all the runs without a ton of homers.
Back in the wild card lead!!!!:D: :supernana:

monkeypants
08-30-2006, 01:06 AM
Way too much whining after a win. Complaining is not going to do anything so just enjoy the win. The game is over so no ned to dwell on the mistakes. That is what causes so much insanity around here during times like these. As someone said before the only stat that matters is the "W." It does not matter if this would have been a playoff win because it is not the playoff right now. Just be happy and go get them tomorrow.

No, complaining is not going to do anything and neither is blindly accepting that this current team has flaws. Bad starting pitching and bad middle relief is not going to get this team very far. But hey, let's just enjoy today and not think about the repercussions for tomorrow.
As you and many others have said, the only stat that matters is W. But these W's do not add up to the World Series.

Mohoney
08-30-2006, 01:11 AM
I'm trying to convince myself that with Vizcaino, Marte, Polite, and Cotts our bullpen was no more stable last year than it is this year. I guess the primary difference is that with our starters being so inconsistent this year, the problem with the pen is magnified.

You might be on to something.

Jenks this year >>> Jenks last year (closer's role)
Thornton this year >>> Marte last year (primary LH setup)
MacDougal this year << Politte last year (primary RH setup)
Riske this year > Vizcaino last year (RH middle relief)
Cotts this year <<<<< Cotts last year (LH middle relief)
McCarthy this year vs. Hermanson last year... wash (asked to do different things, Hermanson was the absolute balls in the 1st half, and saved our season when Shingo **** the bed, but wasn't anywhere close to 100% when the playoffs rolled around)

I would rather have this bullpen than the 2005 playoff bullpen. I have absolute faith in Jenks to close, and Thornton, MacDougal, and Riske to bridge the 7th and 8th to get to him.

I would definitely rather have Riske than Vizcaino, and I would definitely rather have Thornton than Marte. There are only 2 things that kind of worry me come playoff time:

1) Can MacDougal give us something close to 2005 Politte?
2) Why is Cotts so terrible compared to last year?

As far as #1 goes, MacDougal has the stuff, and has been pretty damn good since coming here. In fact, his stuff looks better than Politte's stuff in 2005. However, Politte was in the midst of a career year, and had everything going his way (he missed fewer spots than any RH setup man that I have seen wearing this uniform in a LONG time, and even when he did miss spots, he was missing either too far in or too far out and NOT over the plate). MacDougal's career year was probably spent in 2003, so he probably doesn't have that advantage.

As far as #2 goes, I'm becoming more and more convinced that Cotts' career year was 2005, and that he won't get that control back this season. He's a guy that I would avoid at pretty much all costs in a tight game down the stretch (or tight playoff game) this season, left-handedness be damned, unless we're up by 5+ like we were tonight.

We couldn't expect to duplicate what we did last year with our pitching staff. Last year was unreal. You just have to look at our 11 guys compared to Detroit and Minnesota, and in my opinion, we come out on top there.

We just might have to do a 2002 Angels impression to win this thing this year (the starters just keep us in it, and the bullpen shines), and to be honest, with our offense (decidedly better than the 2002 Angels), no starting staff in the AL scares me in a playoff series.

palehozenychicty
08-30-2006, 01:20 AM
We just might have to do a 2002 Angels impression to win this thing this year (the starters just keep us in it, and the bullpen shines), and to be honest, with our offense (decidedly better than the 2002 Angels), no starting staff in the AL scares me in a playoff series.

Bingo, and that is what will happen if we get in.

hawkjt
08-30-2006, 01:50 AM
I have seen the yankees have some big scores against them when they play the rays or others numerous times this year. They just win 13-10 and put it in the win column and move on. Just like the sox will.

The sox are 11-2 against the rays in their last 13 at soxpark. Keep it going.

app2686
08-30-2006, 01:54 AM
A win is not a win. Don't get me wrong, I'll take it, but this team continues to show they're not ready for the playoffs with their horrendous pitching (Both starting and bullpen as displayed tonight) I was really hoping Buehrle's quality outing Sunday would become contagious, but so far it doesn't seem that way.

CaptainBallz
08-30-2006, 01:57 AM
Ugly win, but we'll take it. A win is a win.

But the Sox better start playing better baseball if they want to get anywhere. Anyway, at least I'll sleep well tonight. :smile:

If 2005 didn't happen, would this season be "Winning Fugly"??

Grzegorz
08-30-2006, 04:42 AM
Crede goes 4-5...where's the love?

The love for Crede and the other position players is there. The problem is that the White Sox had to use Cotts, Riske, Thornton, & Jenks to close out a game they led 7-0.

Pitching continues to be this teams Achilles' Heel of this team.

Go get them tomorrow Jon; keep building on your excellent second half.

DaveIsHere
08-30-2006, 06:37 AM
I am no longer going to analyze or complain about wins. At this point a win is a win and I will take them however we can get them.:bandance:

BeviBall!
08-30-2006, 07:34 AM
Maybe just a little more clever than the handle "Gavin". Simplicity doesn't bother me at all... which is why your posts haven't been put on my ignore list of yet. When I can, I'll continue to start these threads with the sole purpose of pissing you off. Deal?

We just regained the wild card lead. Stop with the indignant routine.

35th&Shields
08-30-2006, 08:18 AM
A win is a win is a win is a win.

Big-time kudos to the offense on this one.

We'll take it!

Amen. We're not going to lose many games scoring in double digits. It's still troubling that the DEVIL RAYS could put up that many runs on us, though.

batmanZoSo
08-30-2006, 08:57 AM
We still have the four starters that threw consecutive shutouts in the ALCS. Those four were the reason we won the division, AL, everything. We still have to look for those guys to get hot. Garland's a check, Buehrle--maybe as well, after the Minnesota win. There's still time for all four to get it together before October, though with baseball we know things can turn around in a heartbeat. They could just turn it on like a switch when it really counts. Obviously, we'd prefer them to turn it on right now, but as a starting point, the status quo so far has us in the playoff bracket.

This offense is certainly capable of carrying a team through the postseason, but they haven't been terribly consistent. They haven't been terribly inconsistent either, but it's just an unlikely scenario. What happened with the Angels is rare and I wouldn't bet on that horse. While this is a much more formidable offense than the '05 one, if we win it all again it'll be because of the starters. To tell you the truth I almost like the '05 offense better in a playoff scenario.

And yes, I have faith that the four will indeed get it together. :Rocker:

batmanZoSo
08-30-2006, 09:03 AM
You might be on to something.

Jenks this year >>> Jenks last year (closer's role)
Thornton this year >>> Marte last year (primary LH setup)
MacDougal this year << Politte last year (primary RH setup)
Riske this year > Vizcaino last year (RH middle relief)
Cotts this year <<<<< Cotts last year (LH middle relief)
McCarthy this year vs. Hermanson last year... wash (asked to do different things, Hermanson was the absolute balls in the 1st half, and saved our season when Shingo **** the bed, but wasn't anywhere close to 100% when the playoffs rolled around)

I would rather have this bullpen than the 2005 playoff bullpen. I have absolute faith in Jenks to close, and Thornton, MacDougal, and Riske to bridge the 7th and 8th to get to him.

I would definitely rather have Riske than Vizcaino, and I would definitely rather have Thornton than Marte. There are only 2 things that kind of worry me come playoff time:

1) Can MacDougal give us something close to 2005 Politte?
2) Why is Cotts so terrible compared to last year?

As far as #1 goes, MacDougal has the stuff, and has been pretty damn good since coming here. In fact, his stuff looks better than Politte's stuff in 2005. However, Politte was in the midst of a career year, and had everything going his way (he missed fewer spots than any RH setup man that I have seen wearing this uniform in a LONG time, and even when he did miss spots, he was missing either too far in or too far out and NOT over the plate). MacDougal's career year was probably spent in 2003, so he probably doesn't have that advantage.

As far as #2 goes, I'm becoming more and more convinced that Cotts' career year was 2005, and that he won't get that control back this season. He's a guy that I would avoid at pretty much all costs in a tight game down the stretch (or tight playoff game) this season, left-handedness be damned, unless we're up by 5+ like we were tonight.

We couldn't expect to duplicate what we did last year with our pitching staff. Last year was unreal. You just have to look at our 11 guys compared to Detroit and Minnesota, and in my opinion, we come out on top there.

I agree with all of this. I just can't get over how bad Cotts is. How does he even have a job at this point? Lefthandedness be damned is right. If Cotts wants to be part of a hypothetical October run, he needs to get his act together on his own time. There's no room for error now. Please let Ozzie only use him in mop up a la last night. :praying:

MsSoxVixen22
08-30-2006, 09:17 AM
UGLY WIN. For awhile there, I thought we were gonna piss this one away too! When AJ got hit in the ass....AGAIN....and I saw him flip his bat, I was like oh boy, now some **** is gonna start. :worship: Dye. 3rd is a good place for Dye to bat, let's leave him there. Pods and Crede had a good nite as well. Keep it up boys! Go get 'em tonite Big Jon! :bandance:

viagracat
08-30-2006, 09:18 AM
Every team gets the occasional "fugly" win. This was one of them. It happens. But enjoy the win as it's still a win. Today's game won't be as sloppy.

I do share the sentiment about Cotts though. He just doesn't seem to have it anymore. He was put in in a situation where it shouldn't have gotten interesting, but it did.

With Garland going today; this series seems to be going in the right direction.

OH YEAH!

infohawk
08-30-2006, 09:23 AM
Goddamn.

I'd throw MacDougal in there, too. I'm not as down on Riske as you are. He has had a couple of bad outings but has generally been pretty good. I'd be surprised if he continued to struggle. In all honesty, Cotts is really dragging down the 'pen right now. I have faith in Neal long-term, though.

0o0o0
08-30-2006, 09:30 AM
Who the **** do you want to trot out there with a six-run lead against the team with the worst road record in the AL? *****.

A lot of bitching tonight despite the fact the Sox gained a game when nobody here believed that could happen.

Anyone that isn't Neal Cotts. He's not good at getting outs anymore and it's pretty damn obvious.

Do you honestly think that was an encouraging performance by Freddy? Just because he got the win doesn't mean he deserved it.

Jerko
08-30-2006, 09:34 AM
Once again Cora is just windmilling blindly at 3rd base. PK was out by a mile.

PK was out by so much, I didn't even realize he got sent at first. When I saw the hit happen I said hey, we got another run, then I saw the catcher stand there, whip up a gourmet meal, eat, leave the field to go to the bathroom, come back, and tag Konerko out. That was awful.

nevr say dye sox
08-30-2006, 09:40 AM
why don't we start Cotts...Bring him in give up his homer...then maybe Ozzie will have it out of his system. Then we bring in Garland to pitch the rest of the game. BE DONE WITH IT OZZIE!!!!:angry:

caulfield12
08-30-2006, 09:44 AM

The Tigers' and Twins' staffs (with a healthy Liriano, even if Radke is out) should scare us in the Championship Series.

And the A's aren't bad either...pitching has been carrying them all season, and there's always the possibility they get Harden back as well.

The ERA's of our pitchers for the post-season will be much worse than our three starters in 2000. Times have changed, these guys CAN do it and HAVE done it in the past, but no guarantees, and last night was not a step in the right direction on many fronts.

gobears1987
08-30-2006, 09:47 AM
Dye had the most productve 1/5 I've ever seen in my life.

palehozenychicty
08-30-2006, 10:06 AM
The Tigers' and Twins' staffs (with a healthy Liriano, even if Radke is out) should scare us in the Championship Series.

And the A's aren't bad either...pitching has been carrying them all season, and there's always the possibility they get Harden back as well.

The Tigers and Twins staffs' are running on fumes, though. Even if Liriano returns this season, and that's a big IF, he may not be lights out like earlier in the season. If the White Sox starters throw reasonably well, our depth/experience should prevail, over everyone. But who knows?

kevin57
08-30-2006, 11:47 AM
If the Sox hadn't had that lead, neither Riske nor Cotts would have been in there. It has meant to be a confidence boosting move. Unless both improve BIG TIME and QUICK, they are not going to see much action in September. Ozzie will bring up some minor league talent and see how well they can do.

I was heartened by how PODS is doing. As much as many hate on PODS--and as much as he's driven me nuts during this second half--as he goes, so goes our offense.

itsnotrequired
08-30-2006, 11:53 AM
Sox offense = yeah!

Sox pitching = grr!

Sig update time...

KyWhiSoxFan
08-30-2006, 12:19 PM
If I had to make the decision today on starters in the playoffs, Garcia would not be used. You only need four starters in the playoffs and Garcia is just plain horrible early in games. Against good teams, he puts the Sox in the hole from the start, which you can't do in the playoffs. Plus, every single and walk is tantamount to a double. Watching Garcia pitch is like water torture.

At least with Vazquez, he will give you five decent innings. Just pull him before he goes out for the sixth, please, Ozzie, no matter what the score.