PDA

View Full Version : Tickets Exchange vs. Box Office?

woodsdavid
08-29-2006, 12:25 PM
I'm going to the Sox/Tribe game on Thurs 9/7 on my season ticket.
I'd like to take my family of 4 on Fri 9/8 too, but don't have tickets yet.

Here's the question:

Do I take the safe bet and get 4 decent tix for Friday at above face-value from Sox season tix exchange now?

Or do I roll the dice and see if I can get GREAT seats from the box office for Friday -- for exactly face value -- while I'm at the game on Thursday night?
NOTE: Rolled dice last season during last home series vs. MN & got great seats in sec 131.

Anyone else w/ experience getting tix previous day/night?

Domeshot17
08-29-2006, 12:27 PM
I would go with the safer of the 2 and overpay. It gets tough around gamedays to get 4 together.

Also Scope Ebay, sometimes they have great deals, especially for 4 seats.

eurotrash35
08-29-2006, 12:37 PM
ebay is great for tickets. I'd look on WSI too and see if anybody has some available. the ticket exchange is a ripoff IMO.

HitMan_naMtiH
08-29-2006, 12:48 PM
TE is very very pricey

woodsdavid
08-30-2006, 09:18 AM
Thanks to posters who offered help, but here's the happy outcome of this posting:

Rather than Sox Ticket Exchange (no bargain) or box-office (too risky), I went with a local ticket broker, Gold Coast Tickets. For any WSI'er interested in tickets for remaining games, I have to say that (link) www.goldcoasttickets.com (http://www.goldcoasttickets.com) did me right. I should have thought of them earlier because they've been great all season long.

I have an Ozzie-13 plan and have needed tickets for some extra games, as well as extra tickets for games that were already on plan. In every case, I got really good seats from GCT for face value or under face value. For instance, I needed tix for Tribe on 9/8 and got better seats than my season tix for $2 less per ticket. And I can pick them up game day at their office next to Jimbo's.

I even booked an unused Diamond Suite (they broker them too) for a client event/party in April for a lot less than the Sox were offering it.

I don't know what their business model is (lose money on every ticket, but make up for it in volume) but it's been working for me.

This probably sounds like I'm getting a spiff from them -- I'm not. Just want to pass along to other Sox fans what's helped me.

jenn2080
08-30-2006, 09:30 AM
Thanks to posters who offered help, but here's the happy outcome of this posting:

Rather than Sox Ticket Exchange (no bargain) or box-office (too risky), I went with a local ticket broker, Gold Coast Tickets. For any WSI'er interested in tickets for remaining games, I have to say that (link) www.goldcoasttickets.com (http://www.goldcoasttickets.com) did me right. I should have thought of them earlier because they've been great all season long.

I have an Ozzie-13 plan and have needed tickets for some extra games, as well as extra tickets for games that were already on plan. In every case, I got really good seats from GCT for face value or under face value. For instance, I needed tix for Tribe on 9/8 and got better seats than my season tix for $2 less per ticket. And I can pick them up game day at their office next to Jimbo's.

I even booked an unused Diamond Suite (they broker them too) for a client event/party in April for a lot less than the Sox were offering it.

I don't know what their business model is (lose money on every ticket, but make up for it in volume) but it's been working for me.

This probably sounds like I'm getting a spiff from them -- I'm not. Just want to pass along to other Sox fans what's helped me.

I usually use Stubhub. Goldcoasttickets.com is way expensive compared to most

Steelrod
08-30-2006, 10:34 AM

Doesn't make any sense. I always thought that brokers buy from ticketholders at a premium and add their own premium. I can understand taking a loss at the last minute,

Doesn't make sense to me

This probably sounds like I'm getting a spiff from them -- I'm not. Just want to pass along to other Sox fans what's helped me.Doesnt make any sense to me. I always thought brokers buy at a premium from tickeholders and add their own premium. I can understand taking a loss at the last minute, but not 2 weeks ahead. But I am glad for you!

ewokpelts
08-30-2006, 10:41 AM
there is a ticket exhange area HERE

Hitmen77
08-30-2006, 11:14 AM
Doesnt make any sense to me. I always thought brokers buy at a premium from tickeholders and add their own premium. I can understand taking a loss at the last minute, but not 2 weeks ahead. But I am glad for you!

I don't believe StubHub necessarily buys tickets at a premium. It looks to me like it works similar to the Sox ticket exchange where sellers are looking to unload tickets and set their own price. When comparing stubhub to the Sox ticket exchange, I usually find better prices and more selection on stubhub.

The thing to watch out for is that stubhub adds a 10% fee to your purchases. Plus they add a rather high shipping fee to to FedEx the tickets to you. But, even with that, alot of times I find a lower price there than on the Sox official ticket exchange.

At any rate, just like any other purchase, shop around, do all the math, and compare the final prices and seating selections for all options (including just buying tickets at the park).

Scottzilla
08-30-2006, 11:52 AM
im not commenting on this particular broker but they might be making there money by SCALPING tickets. they might maybe pay college students to go to the park and sell tickets over face value and risk going to jail. and that maybe might be where they make all there money.

Steelrod
08-30-2006, 12:07 PM
I don't believe StubHub necessarily buys tickets at a premium. It looks to me like it works similar to the Sox ticket exchange where sellers are looking to unload tickets and set their own price. When comparing stubhub to the Sox ticket exchange, I usually find better prices and more selection on stubhub.

The thing to watch out for is that stubhub adds a 10% fee to your purchases. Plus they add a rather high shipping fee to to FedEx the tickets to you. But, even with that, alot of times I find a lower price there than on the Sox official ticket exchange.

At any rate, just like any other purchase, shop around, do all the math, and compare the final prices and seating selections for all options (including just buying tickets at the park).

I was talking about the broker business, not stubhub. They just act as a middleman like Sox Exchange does.

Scottzilla
08-30-2006, 01:32 PM
id rather the profit go to a sox season ticket holder than an evil ticket broker.

SouthSideSoxFan
08-30-2006, 05:26 PM
Doesnt make any sense to me. I always thought brokers buy at a premium from tickeholders and add their own premium. I can understand taking a loss at the last minute, but not 2 weeks ahead. But I am glad for you!

They buy for what they can, often below face from season ticket holders looking to dump, and then they sell for what they can based on the market. Sometimes they make money, sometimes they don't, but more often then not they do. School's back in session, so secondary market ticket prices have gone down quite a bit for the Cubs and Sox. I've been going to most Sox games below face in premium lowers lately from a couple different ticket brokers. Only the really great seats (a couple rows behind a dugout for example) seem to be getting a premium. There was even someone dumping Scout Seats for tomorrow on Craigslist under face value earlier today...

PennStater98r
08-30-2006, 05:36 PM
TE is very very pricey

Hm - For last Friday's game against the Twinkies, I was able to get 2 tix in section 115 - row AA - which is the first row in the section - for $89.

I'd say that was a steal - and a pretty good price. Just like anything else, you can find good deals if you're persistant.

SouthSideSoxFan
08-30-2006, 05:54 PM
Just like anything else, you can find good deals if you're persistant.

I agree. On both StubHub and the Ticket Exchange, cheap seats pop up. They're just gone within 15 minutes or so, so the listing look full of people asking way too much.

The free market at work. :)

eastchicagosoxfan
08-30-2006, 07:16 PM
TE is very very pricey

I think it depends on how one views his recreational dollar. I can blow $75 in a bar rather quickly. I can also get good seats for a Sox game that is otherwise sold out of everything save UD. Some people find the idea of paying over face reprehensible, others tolerate it. I don't care. I set a value on going or not, and the ambience of where I sit. If seats are available that meet my price, I'll buy. Here's an example:

Club Level ( section 348 ) for $70, which is what I paid on the Ticket Exchange. Normally, they sell for $52, I think. Is $18 worth it? I say yes. Others can disagree.
Bears tickets for end zone UD: $135
Too rich for my blood, as the seats face for $60. Basically, poor seats for a Bears game at $60 extra isn't a good value. Others can disagree.

Palehose13
08-30-2006, 07:51 PM
I think it depends on how one views his recreational dollar. I can blow $75 in a bar rather quickly. I can also get good seats for a Sox game that is otherwise sold out of everything save UD. Some people find the idea of paying over face reprehensible, others tolerate it. I don't care. I set a value on going or not, and the ambience of where I sit. If seats are available that meet my price, I'll buy. Here's an example:

Club Level ( section 348 ) for $70, which is what I paid on the Ticket Exchange. Normally, they sell for $52, I think. Is $18 worth it? I say yes. Others can disagree.
Too rich for my blood, as the seats face for $60. Basically, poor seats for a Bears game at $60 extra isn't a good value. Others can disagree.

As a ST who doesn't use all of her games and sells some on ebay for over face, here is my take on people who don't like to pay over face:

I (and 19,999 others) put my money up front and helped the Sox increase payroll. I don't make a lot of money (45-55K), so I auction my tickets. Most times I get over face, sometimes I get a lot over face. I hope it covers the interest on my credit card from buying the tickets! Next year, I may not be so lucky. So, IMO, if you want to guarantee LD seats, buy season tickets. If not, you have no reason to complain when you pay a little over face.

dllrbll7
08-31-2006, 01:29 AM
As a ST who doesn't use all of her games and sells some on ebay for over face, here is my take on people who don't like to pay over face:

I (and 19,999 others) put my money up front and helped the Sox increase payroll. I don't make a lot of money (45-55K), so I auction my tickets. Most times I get over face, sometimes I get a lot over face. I hope it covers the interest on my credit card from buying the tickets! Next year, I may not be so lucky. So, IMO, if you want to guarantee LD seats, buy season tickets. If not, you have no reason to complain when you pay a little over face.

Nicely put! These last two years us season ticket holders have had the opportunity to make all of our money back or make a profit, which makes up for other years. I know down the line I will have a hard time giving tickets away, so if I make a few extra bucks this year, it will make it worth the loss in the future.

Last eyar I sold one of the world series tickets for ALOT and I have every intention this year to do the same if I get the chance. You have to take advantage of the opportunity when it comes around.

ewokpelts
08-31-2006, 10:15 AM

Too rich for my blood, as the seats face for $60. Basically, poor seats for a Bears game at $60 extra isn't a good value. Others can disagree.I dont like to pay over face, but then again, I have season tickets (weekend) in the bleachers...
i also have no beef about the upper deck. In fact, i sit up there quite often(my brother has full season in the UDR). Since we sold 21,000 st packages this year, the upper deck is fully staffed for pretty much every game, making it less of a hassle than in previous years.

as for the bears comparison...football fans are idiots....there's no way i pay 400 bucks to see the packers at soldier field in that upper deck...i didnt want to in PRESEASON..damm sucker's too high

salty99
08-31-2006, 10:16 AM
I dont like to pay over face, but then again, I have season tickets (weekend) in the bleachers...
i also have no beef about the upper deck. In fact, i sit up there quite often(my brother has full season in the UDR). Since we sold 21,000 st packages this year, teh upper deck is fully straffed for pretty much every game, making it less of a hassle than in previous years.

as for the bears comparison...football fans are idiots....there's no way i pay 400 bucks to see the packers at soldier field in that upper deck...i didnt want to in PRESEASON..damm sucker's too high

totally agree..they also added a new merchandise stand. It has baseball cards and bobble heads and game used baseballs for sale.

ewokpelts
08-31-2006, 10:20 AM
They buy for what they can, often below face from season ticket holders looking to dump, and then they sell for what they can based on the market. Sometimes they make money, sometimes they don't, but more often then not they do. School's back in session, so secondary market ticket prices have gone down quite a bit for the Cubs and Sox. I've been going to most Sox games below face in premium lowers lately from a couple different ticket brokers. Only the really great seats (a couple rows behind a dugout for example) seem to be getting a premium. There was even someone dumping Scout Seats for tomorrow on Craigslist under face value earlier today...cub tickets also dropped becuase they are sucking real bad right now...the brokers are trying to give away tickets right now...one guy offered me below face as i was walking into wrigley last week.

BTW, to avoid confusion, Stubhub is mostly indiviuals selling tickets, with brokers/slapers mixed in.
ticketsnow.com is ALL scalpers/brokers. same as razor gator, ticket depot, gold coast tickets, ect they all use the same inventory software and try to sell each others tickets. i wouldnt use hier sites unless you get online discount codes. you can get ticketsnow discount codes at www.flamingoworld.com (http://www.flamingoworld.com) (a coupon site). seasch "ticketsnow"

ewokpelts
08-31-2006, 10:21 AM
totally agree..they also added a new merchandise stand. It has baseball cards and bobble heads and game used baseballs for sale.too bad a topps factory set is $125....$75 dollars over what target sell them for.

salty99
08-31-2006, 10:24 AM
too bad a topps factory set is $125....$75 dollars over what target sell them for.

are you serrious..that is absolutely ridiculous!!! I did see someone buy a game used ball for $50 as well.

ewokpelts
08-31-2006, 10:41 AM
are you serrious..that is absolutely ridiculous!!! I did see someone buy a game used ball for $50 as well.i can see presmiums for game use ditems, but $125 for a topps facory set? cmon....if you really want one, go to www.topps.com (http://www.topps.com) and find the nearest card store...i promise you'll pay no more than 60 bucks