PDA

View Full Version : Bob Dylan likes Ozzie

BainesHOF
08-29-2006, 03:23 AM
No lie.

There's a footnote in the great Bob Dylan interview in the current "Rolling Stone." It's a short riff on baseball, which Bob clearly likes as evidenced from his 1975 song "Catfish" about Catfish Hunter to his recent satellite "Theme Time Radio Hour" show on baseball and his tours the last two summers of minor league parks.

Here is Bob's quote when asked who his favorite team is:

"The problem with baseball teams is all the players get traded, and what your favorite team used to be - a couple of guys you really liked on the team, they're not on the team now - and you can't possibly make that team your favorite team. It's like your favortie uniform. I mean...yeah...I like Detroit. Though I like Ozzie (Guillen) as a manager. And I don't know how anybody can't like Derek (Jeter). I'd rather have him on my team than anybody."

For anyone who would like to hear the baseball episode of his radio show, here's the link to his program's archives (It's episode No. 4. Click on that, and then you'll find a little download link for the show toward the bottom of the page):

http://www.whitemanstew.com/2006/05/12/bob-dylans-theme-time-radio-hour

batmanZoSo
08-29-2006, 09:31 AM
That's the whole idea--you root for the uniform. That's how sports work.

At least he's not a Twins fan.

ewokpelts
08-29-2006, 09:55 AM

At least he's not a Twins fan.Well, Robert Zimmerman wasnt living in Mnnesota when the Senators moved to Minnesota.

Lip Man 1
08-29-2006, 10:24 AM
Hopefully both Detroit and Minnesota get those "Subterranean Homesick Blues" when the Sox pass them in the standings.

Lip

TommyJohn
08-29-2006, 11:02 AM
"So, Zim, tell us your thoughts about baseball."

"Humma-na-heeee, humma-na-huuuuh. Humma-na, humma-na, hey-bah duh,
huh-ba-duh, Ozzie."

Nellie_Fox
08-29-2006, 11:26 AM
At least he's not a Twins fan.The Twins didn't exist when he was at the age when your baseball allegiances are formed, and he left Minnesota for New York in 1961, the year the Twins debuted.

fquaye149
08-29-2006, 12:20 PM
"something is happening here, but you don't know what it is, do you mr. mariotti?"

batmanZoSo
08-29-2006, 12:32 PM
The Twins didn't exist when he was at the age when your baseball allegiances are formed, and he left Minnesota for New York in 1961, the year the Twins debuted.

I'll say it again: at least he isn't a Twins fan. :smile:

DumpJerry
08-29-2006, 12:49 PM
While Dylan left the state in 1961, he kept his ties alive there. His daughter Maria graduated with me from Macalester College (St. Paul) and she currently lives up there as a legal aid lawyer in rural Minnesota.

When she started college, her home address was in rural Minnesota-might have been her mom's home/farm.

Gammons Peter
08-29-2006, 12:58 PM
His new cd is out today and it's great

Fake Chet Lemon
08-29-2006, 02:07 PM

At least he's not a Twins fan.

You sure? In this city, half the "baseball" fans are really fans of a stadium. :D:

Nellie_Fox
08-29-2006, 02:14 PM
While Dylan left the state in 1961, he kept his ties alive there. His daughter Maria graduated with me from Macalester College (St. Paul) and she currently lives up there as a legal aid lawyer in rural Minnesota.

When she started college, her home address was in rural Minnesota-might have been her mom's home/farm.I'm just saying there was no real reason for him to become a Twins fan. He probably had already developed a loyalty to some other team before the Twins existed, and he himself no longer lived in Minnesota after they did.

Chez
08-29-2006, 02:25 PM
I'm just saying there was no real reason for him to become a Twins fan. He probably had already developed a loyalty to some other team before the Twins existed, and he himself no longer lived in Minnesota after they did.

Didn't the Twins originally wear leopard skin, pill-box hats? :D:

MrRoboto83
08-29-2006, 03:11 PM
His new cd is out today and it's great

Hopefully my Amazon order comes in today, I can't wait to hear this album.

mark2olson
08-29-2006, 03:53 PM
Hopefully both Detroit and Minnesota get those "Subterranean Homesick Blues" when the Sox pass them in the standings.

Lip

Ozzie won't "think twice," cause "it's all right." The Sox Pitchers realize that "it takes a lot to laugh, it takes a train to cry." They've been "stuck inside of Mobile, with those Memphis blues, again." But they've paid their dues, they're throwing strikes. As a result, Gardenhire was "blowin' in the wind" like "man of constant sorrow" on Sunday. And soon, Leyland will know how it feels to "be without a home, like a complete unknown, like a rolling stone" when the Sox host Motown in September.

Nellie_Fox
08-29-2006, 04:07 PM
His new cd is out today and it's greatI've been listening to it the last couple of days on XM Deep Tracks. He's got more voice left than I thought (he was never a crooner, but the last time I heard him it sounded like he'd been gargling with Drano.)

NardiWasHere
08-29-2006, 05:23 PM
I've been listening to it the last couple of days on XM Deep Tracks. He's got more voice left than I thought (he was never a crooner, but the last time I heard him it sounded like he'd been gargling with Drano.)

I saw him live for the first time when he came over to Purdue about two years ago... Great concert, but his voice sounded beat to hell. Its good to hear he sounds better now.

I love him, tho.... I'm very happy about the new cd and the whole Ozzie comment.

Britt Burns
08-29-2006, 05:33 PM
Ozzie won't "think twice," cause "it's all right." The Sox Pitchers realize that "it takes a lot to laugh, it takes a train to cry." They've been "stuck inside of Mobile, with those Memphis blues, again." But they've paid their dues, they're throwing strikes. As a result, Gardenhire was "blowin' in the wind" like "man of constant sorrow" on Sunday. And soon, Leyland will know how it feels to "be without a home, like a complete unknown, like a rolling stone" when the Sox host Motown in September.

No 'Visions of Johan(na) Santana'?

tick53
08-29-2006, 05:49 PM
"Hey Mr. Ozzie Guillen, win a ring for me..
We're still selfish, and there aint no place like number one.
Hey Mr. Ozzie Guillen, win a ring for me..
Let the Sox fans in Chicago keep on havin' fun

Take me for another trip to World Series land..
Show the Cub fans you're man..
Who still has a plan. You know they don't understand..
I promise you we'll cherish it.

I'm ready to back and do that World Series thing...
Get Thome his first ring...
Mackowiak will sing...
I'm so glad I'm home again.

Hey Mr. Ozzie Guillen, win a ring for me
We're still greedy and we want to give the Cubs the bird.
Hey Mr. Ozzie Guillen, win a ring for me
Then we'll look ahead to next year and we'll start on the third.