PDA

View Full Version : Still Missing Nancy/Organ

paciorek1983
08-28-2006, 11:25 PM
Just thought I'd share my thoughts on the topic of Nancy and/or organ music. I have only been to a couple games this year, and when I was there, I truly missed the sound of the organ at the ballpark.

It seems as though the Traditional White Sox Experience is over. What a shame for this to take place in a year when they've had such good attendance. All of the new/returning fans have missed out on such a wonderful experience.

I wonder what would happen if they did a text vote on the scoreboard regarding organ music?

This is not a bash Nancy thread. I understand her reasons.

But I don't understand not getting a replacement. And I also don't understand, after earlier in the year, playing recorded Nancy/organ, they've stopped doing it. That tells me that they don't want organ at all. When you have the technology in order to keep the traditonal sound of the game and not use it, that's a bad sign.:(:

As my mom even said after talking about the music at the game. "This is not basketball."

Got that Brooks!!

StillMissOzzie
08-29-2006, 12:44 AM
Nancy is still there for day games and was there for Sunday's game vs. the Twins.
I was kinda miffed because I had picked several Sunday day games in my Ozzie package and ESPN went and made night games out of them for Sunday Night Baseball telecasts. That meant no Nancy for those games.

SMO
:gulp:

Edit: Just call me Mr. 3,000!

BainesHOF
08-29-2006, 02:04 AM
The constant sound bites of songs between virtually every pitch late in Saturday's game was ridiculous, and a classic case of a stadium DJ gone amuck.

When push comes to shove, the Sox still have a hard time trusting the game.

FielderJones
08-29-2006, 09:08 AM
When push comes to shove, MLB still has a hard time trusting the game.

Fixed it.

Procol Harum
08-29-2006, 09:49 AM
Yeah, we were there for Sunday's game--our first day game of the year--and having Nance there made for a whole different stadium ambience. Besides, no canned dj is gonna give you "Whiter Shade of Pale" as Rondell White strolls up to the plate.... :D:

PalehosePlanet
08-29-2006, 09:56 AM
Yeah, we were there for Sunday's game--our first day game of the year--and having Nance there made for a whole different stadium ambience. Besides, no canned dj is gonna give you "Whiter Shade of Pale" as Rondell White strolls up to the plate.... :D:

Yeah, or Just-call-me-Angel-of-the-Morneau-baby.

My buddy took pictures of his 4 year old daughter w/Nancy too. It definetly makes a difference having her there. But, I do agree w/the original post though: There is nothing wrong with having a replacement.

PaulDrake
08-29-2006, 10:03 AM
Just thought I'd share my thoughts on the topic of Nancy and/or organ music. I have only been to a couple games this year, and when I was there, I truly missed the sound of the organ at the ballpark.

It seems as though the Traditional White Sox Experience is over. What a shame for this to take place in a year when they've had such good attendance. All of the new/returning fans have missed out on such a wonderful experience.

I wonder what would happen if they did a text vote on the scoreboard regarding organ music?

This is not a bash Nancy thread. I understand her reasons.

But I don't understand not getting a replacement. And I also don't understand, after earlier in the year, playing recorded Nancy/organ, they've stopped doing it. That tells me that they don't want organ at all. When you have the technology in order to keep the traditonal sound of the game and not use it, that's a bad sign.:(:

As my mom even said after talking about the music at the game. "This is not basketball."

Got that Brooks!! Having a great organist play at White Sox home games is an important part of the whole experience. I'm so old I remember the great Shay Torrent. The Sox need to find a replacement who will carry on the great tradition of Shay Torrent and the most innovative baseball organist ever Nancy Faust.

gobears1987
08-29-2006, 10:25 AM
I really think they should have a substitute for night games. It isn't the same without an organ.

CaptainBallz
08-29-2006, 10:55 AM
It's been discussed ad nauseum here, but that canned music is completely generic and lame. It adds absolutely nothing to the games and during bad losses is downright patronizing.
The organization has REALLY dropped the ball on this one. They have record crowds coming to the stadium and they treat them to a completely sterile experience that is very non-Sox. No "Na Na Na Na" when a pitcher's sent walking? Give me a break.
It's really not that hard to record an organ. I hope in the offseason they have Nancy record a bunch of soundclips or hold open auditions for a new organist to play when Nancy can't. I will welcome whoever it is with open arms.

nlentz88
08-29-2006, 11:31 AM
It will be a sad day when Nancy retires for good. I really hope that the Sox don't ignore this important tradition. Though I'll miss Nancy, I certainly hope the Sox find a replacement organist.

Perhaps Sox fan and former Styx member Dennis DeYoung is looking for a job? :tongue:

Jerko
08-29-2006, 11:52 AM
It will be a sad day when Nancy retires for good. I really hope that the Sox don't ignore this important tradition. Though I'll miss Nancy, I certainly hope the Sox find a replacement organist.

Perhaps Sox fan and former Styx member Dennis DeYoung is looking for a job? :tongue:

You can always get Frank Pellico.

woodsdavid
08-29-2006, 12:10 PM
was great to hear her on sunday vs the twinks:
white is up to bat -- she's playing 'lighter shade of pale'
ford is up -- she's playing 'vehicle'
etc.
nancy rocks even when not rocking.

chisoxfanatic
08-29-2006, 12:13 PM
I think I've only been to four day games this year, and I truly can say I miss hearing Nancy daily. I miss hearing "Na na na na" after each pitcher has been shelled. I miss her very appropriate songs she'd play for various opposing players. It was, however, cool to hear her play the end of the Cheers theme song after each Red Sox strikeout when the Carmines were in town.

We need more Nancy! I hope she's there throughout the playoffs!

whitesoxwin
08-29-2006, 02:00 PM
They can have a "Guest Organist" like the Flubs "Guest Conductor"....on second thought...yikes!!...me bad!

Just hire a full time organist...Nancy can be the "Organist Emeritus" and play whenever she wishes!

The "out of control" D.J. experience at the park (with ALL the goofy sound effects and stuff) is getting old.
We need to get back to a more traditional setting...keep what Sox fans know best: fireworks, having and keeping balls. Thunder struck (kind of sticks now), na-na-kiss 'em goodbye..and please, no more YMCA.

MDF3530
08-29-2006, 02:52 PM
I don't like the DJs either, but there is one song I would keep for when there's a line drive right back at the pitcher-"Move *****" by Ludacris.

MDF3530
08-29-2006, 02:55 PM
Yeah, or Just-call-me-Angel-of-the-Morneau-baby.

My buddy took pictures of his 4 year old daughter w/Nancy too. It definetly makes a difference having her there. But, I do agree w/the original post though: There is nothing wrong with having a replacement.Or how about when one of the Sox players would make a great leaping/diving catch? She'd play "Jump" by Van Halen. Much better than "Jump Around" by House of Pain (although I do like HoP).

LongLiveFisk
08-29-2006, 03:10 PM
I think I've only been to four day games this year, and I truly can say I miss hearing Nancy daily. I miss hearing "Na na na na" after each pitcher has been shelled.

I missed hearing it after a Sox victory. At least play a recorded version of it if she's not there in person!

russ99
08-29-2006, 03:17 PM
ford is up -- she's playing 'vehicle'

Nancy did "Vehicle"? Oh, man that's just super-sweet. :D: :cool: :D:

Agreed, the DJ must go - if we need to hire a night game organist, so be it. They'd probably make us appreciate Nancy's genius even more.

MDF3530
08-29-2006, 03:32 PM
You know what some DJs probably play when Lew Ford comes up to bat: that annoying Taylor Hicks commercial.

CaptainBallz
08-29-2006, 03:34 PM
Nancy did "Vehicle"? Oh, man that's just super-sweet. :D: :cool: :D:

Agreed, the DJ must go - if we need to hire a night game organist, so be it. They'd probably make us appreciate Nancy's genius even more.

So has anybody written Brooks/the Sox regarding this? Has there been any response? Is this a job for the Sox Army?

FARMEO
08-29-2006, 04:45 PM
The canned music was brutal on Saturday night, every spot had to be filled with some kind of noise. The crowd was loud enough during the comeback without the extra noise. Also, I have been burned by time changes as well, I picked some day games to hear Nancey only to have them changed to night games.

LongLiveFisk
08-29-2006, 05:38 PM
The canned music was brutal on Saturday night, every spot had to be filled with some kind of noise. The crowd was loud enough during the comeback without the extra noise. Also, I have been burned by time changes as well, I picked some day games to hear Nancey only to have them changed to night games.

I must be getting old, but I can't stand excessive noise between innings. There's always some race--the pizza race, the frog race, etc. And those dancers on the dugout...***?

Wow, I am getting to be a real complainer in my old age. :cool:

paciorek1983
08-29-2006, 10:49 PM
So has anybody written Brooks/the Sox regarding this? Has there been any response? Is this a job for the Sox Army?

I've emailed before. But, I think we need a "Blitz Brooks for an Organist" email day.

It really sickens me that the Sox are not taking seriously the loss of organ music at the ballpark. I get pretty upset thinking about it.

CaptainBallz
08-30-2006, 01:46 AM
I've emailed before. But, I think we need a "Blitz Brooks for an Organist" email day.

It really sickens me that the Sox are not taking seriously the loss of organ music at the ballpark. I get pretty upset thinking about it.

St. Patty's Day is 3/17/07. The halfway to St. Patty's Day game is 9/8. Nancy's birthday is 3/11 according to wikiality (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nancy_Faust). So, if we were to coordinate a blitzkrieg of some sort, it should be on Saturday, Sept. 2nd (away game vs. KC), aka."Halfway to Nancy Day".

We all know that Nancy's decisions are hers, but I hardly doubt that she would object to a fan referendum that tried to keep the ballpark organ tradition alive. If there were to be at least an email blitz, attempting to salvage the experience of home field White Sox baseball , we should make it on that day....

Who's in? Thoughts? Musings?

paciorek1983
08-30-2006, 09:39 AM
St. Patty's Day is 3/17/07. The halfway to St. Patty's Day game is 9/8. Nancy's birthday is 3/11 according to wikiality (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nancy_Faust). So, if we were to coordinate a blitzkrieg of some sort, it should be on Saturday, Sept. 2nd (away game vs. KC), aka."Halfway to Nancy Day".

We all know that Nancy's decisions are hers, but I hardly doubt that she would object to a fan referendum that tried to keep the ballpark organ tradition alive. If there were to be at least an email blitz, attempting to salvage the experience of home field White Sox baseball , we should make it on that day....

Who's in? Thoughts? Musings?

Yes. I like that idea. Very creative. I think we need to set up some kind of reminder for that to be the day. It is coming up soon. Maybe we should start another thread the day before, with a link to Brooks' email. Other thoughts?

mrwag
08-30-2006, 09:40 AM
I must be getting old, but I can't stand excessive noise between innings. There's always some race--the pizza race, the frog race, etc. And those dancers on the dugout...***?

Wow, I am getting to be a real complainer in my old age. :cool:

I have to agree with you. I'm in my low 30's, but I really don't think there's a place for blaring music at a baseball game. I don't think Guns N Roses needs to be blared at a baseball game, and to be honest Thunderstruck is pushing it. It ruins the pureness and traditionalism (is that a word?) of the game.

the gooch
08-30-2006, 09:56 AM
You have to look at where the game is going.
Retro parks were all the rage in the '90s. Now, any new park is going to have much less old-time feel to it. The 'ballpark experience' has taken a back seat to spelling rowdy incorrectly and selling cars. It has happened quickly and deliberately.
A happy medium to me would be to have exclusively organ music DURING play. Put any kind of crap you want on the loudspeakers between innings. The folks at home are also hearing sales pitches at that time. When there's baseball, I want organ. The only exception would be home team players intro music.

daslobo
08-30-2006, 01:38 PM
I was at last night's game and never once heard na na na na when they pulled the pitcher. It's bad enough that they don't play it after homers anymore but now it's gone for pitchers too? That's bush.

Max Power
08-30-2006, 02:14 PM
I have to agree with you. I'm in my low 30's, but I really don't think there's a place for blaring music at a baseball game. I don't think Guns N Roses needs to be blared at a baseball game, and to be honest Thunderstruck is pushing it. It ruins the pureness and traditionalism (is that a word?) of the game.

I'm a little younger than you and even I'm getting tired of all the noise at the games. I can live with a song between innings, but it's like the Sox decided there can't be 10 consecutive seconds without something going through the speakers, whether it's the new Justin Timberlake song or some lame sound effect. And if I hear that "ROWDIE" sound again I might puke.

The worst part is they're taking away a White Sox tradition when they don't play "Kiss Him Goodbye" (even if it's a recording). Brooks, etc. have done a good job of embracing the colorful White Sox history (the opening videos, the pictures along the upper deck concourse, etc.), but they get an F for handling the in-game music.

miker
08-30-2006, 05:39 PM
The fact that there are so many Sox fans on this thread crying out for a real organist gives me hope for the future!