PDA

View Full Version : Payroll concerns Williams


Jerry_Manuel
02-24-2002, 12:17 PM
By Joe Cowley


White Sox general manager Ken Williams tried not to sound like he was crying broke.

"We can't afford the team we currently have," Williams said Saturday when asked about the Sox's projected payroll for 2002. "It's a little worse this year."

Williams was painting a realistic picture of the financial problems facing many baseball teams including the Sox these days.

The Sox will likely open the season with a payroll near $57 million. In 2001, the Sox's payroll was almost $64 million.

"We won't spend a dollar if we have just 50 cents," Williams said in 2001.

That's changed, though.

"We can't spend a dollar because now we only have 25 cents," he said Saturday.

"Who knows? Maybe if we get off to a good start, people will become interested in the club. Then not only will we be able to afford the club we have, but add a couple of additions."

In a related matter, Williams seemed confident that slugger Frank Thomas won't have to worry about the club exercising the "revised payment right," an issue that's been hanging over Thomas' head since last year.

When Thomas signed his six-year contract extension Sept. 30, 1997, he also agreed on the "RPR." Beginning last season, if Thomas wasn't a Silver Slugger Award winner, on the All-Star team or in the top 10 of the MVP voting, board chairman Jerry Reinsdorf had the option to pay him just $250,000, plus $10.1 million deferred.

Thomas, in turn, could then terminate the contract and elect to become a free agent.

After falling to a season-ending right triceps injury just 20 games into the '01 season, Reinsdorf promised Thomas the "RPR" would not be exercised.

Nothing was said about 2002 or beyond.

"When you sit at the negotiating table, you try to make a fair deal for both sides," Williams said. "Neither side signs it unless it's a fair deal. Over time, there's been a disheartening feel by Frank.

"That was Jerry and Frank at the table, and right now he's under contract."

Williams doesn't see the contract being a problem for Thomas as it was last season, when Thomas walked out of camp for six days.

"His main concern at this stage is getting back to the player that he knows and proving that he can be a force in this league," Williams said. "It's nice to see him joking and laughing with guys. He seems more relaxed."

RichH55
02-24-2002, 03:51 PM
I defend the Org alot and I have never been a guy who wants us spending with the yankees, but I do get a little sick of people crying poor mouth when its ridiculous....the cubs do the same thing....get jerry and Macphail out there together and we can have a damn telethon!

cornball
02-24-2002, 05:43 PM
There is no doubt the money is ridiculous, but at a little over 62 million as the opening day salaries for last year we were still, 16th in the league...

What was the deal when the stadium was built...rent was based on attendance, as i recall. Is that deal still in effect, at this time it should be favorable to the team, but i dont know.

Jerry_Manuel
02-24-2002, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by cornball
There is no doubt the money is ridiculous, but at a little over 62 million as the opening day salaries for last year we were still, 16th in the league...

What was the deal when the stadium was built...rent was based on attendance, as i recall. Is that deal still in effect, at this time it should be favorable to the team, but i dont know.

Reinsdorf doesn't have to pay rent unless the attendance hits a certain amount.

Paulwny
02-24-2002, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel


Reinsdorf doesn't have to pay rent unless the attendance hits a certain amount.

I'm always asking PHG to explain the deal, I finally found this.


Illinois taxpayers also got the short end of the deal. While Reinsdorf innocently insists, "I didn't get into baseball to make money. Baseball is my religion. I'm happy to break even," the Comiskey deal gave him free rent for up to 1.2 million in attendance each year. The Sox pay the state $2.50 for every ticket from 1.2 to 2 million, yet the team also gets back $5 million a year for stadium repairs and maintenance. In addition, the state buys 300,000 tickets if attendance drops below 1.5 after the year 2001, so in actuality, Reinsdorf got public funds to build his stadium and subsidies to guarantee its profitability.

SoxRulecubsdrool
02-24-2002, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
I defend the Org alot and I have never been a guy who wants us spending with the yankees, but I do get a little sick of people crying poor mouth when its ridiculous....the cubs do the same thing....get jerry and Macphail out there together and we can have a damn telethon!

:gulp:
I plan on drinking several thousand dollars worth of beer there this summer. They will have plenty of money.
:gulp:

RedPinStripes
02-24-2002, 08:21 PM
This is such bull****. JR has scammed every way he possibly can to get people to pay for everything. He never had any huge bills. He made it a point to let the old park go to the pits so he could get a new park by threatening to move to florida unless the state pays for it. Last years renovations I'm pretty sure he payed for. This year he got some of the money from the bear's renovation. How the hell he managed that, I have no idea. I will guarentee that if he sells the team, more people would go to the park. And I will stand by that no matter what anyone says. There are so many people i know that won't go there just because of JR.

bc2k
02-24-2002, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
By Joe Cowley



"We can't afford the team we currently have," Williams said Saturday when asked about the Sox's projected payroll for 2002.


Well if you hadn't signed Alomar at 5.4 and traded for Clayton at 4.5, then the payroll would be 10 million less this year alone you idiot. Don't make a mistake - no, two mistakes and then come crying to me about it KW.

RedPinStripes
02-24-2002, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by bc2k


Well if you hadn't signed Alomar at 5.4 and traded for Clayton at 4.5, then the payroll would be 10 million less this year alone you idiot. Don't make a mistake - no, two mistakes and then come crying to me about it KW.

You gooooooooo Boyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!

ma-gaga
02-25-2002, 03:13 PM
oh come on, like it could possibly be Kenny's fault.
:reinsy
"Kenny's my main man."

:KW
"keep payroll low, competetive baseball, trade kipper? keep Foulke happy?!? Find time for Crede!!!?!??!? Royce is my man, payroll, attendance, Cleveland's scrubs = wins?!? division crown!! aaaah!!?!? too many thoughts, too many thoughts, brain shorting out, coolant leak, coolant leak!?! reeeee meltdown, just win baby... Mommy."

:versatile
"here I come to save the day!!!"

AsInWreck
02-25-2002, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by bc2k


Well if you hadn't signed Alomar at 5.4 and traded for Clayton at 4.5, then the payroll would be 10 million less this year alone you idiot. Don't make a mistake - no, two mistakes and then come crying to me about it KW.

Actually, I think SA's salary of 5.4 is over 2 years, but i hear ya

duke of dorwood
02-25-2002, 09:12 PM
I am sick of this small market mentality in this big city. Crying about money every year. Do they think this is the way to increase attendence? Interest? Whine whine whine.

How about win win win for a change?

And you start by winning this city first. That's the challenge.

foulkesfan11
02-25-2002, 09:14 PM
I agree with the Duke! The more people complain about attendance, the more people will stay at home. Stop it already! Bring on a winning team & live it up!!!

:kelly

bjmarte
02-26-2002, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
I am sick of this small market mentality in this big city. Crying about money every year. Do they think this is the way to increase attendence? Interest? Whine whine whine.

How about win win win for a change?

And you start by winning this city first. That's the challenge.

It is how KW keeps his job and stays on the big guy's good side.

RichH55
02-26-2002, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by bjmarte


It is how KW keeps his job and stays on the big guy's good side.


Still...to whine about what is essentially your own incompetance(Read:CLAYTON and Alomar) is the best way to make the case that you need to be around

RedPinStripes
02-26-2002, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by bjmarte


It is how KW keeps his job and stays on the big guy's good side.


:KW
"I am a puppet"

RedPinStripes
02-26-2002, 06:00 AM
:reinsy
"Who's your daddy kenny? who's your daddy?"