PDA

View Full Version : Big Frank wants 2 year deal, will play until he is 42

Domeshot17
08-28-2006, 02:08 PM
PER ESPN Rumor Central

Big Frank told the A's he wants a 2 year deal, not incentive laden, and wants it before the season is done. Wants to play until he is 42 and says he will still produce. Its on the rumor central insiders page

nug0hs
08-28-2006, 02:12 PM
hah, what a joke. i'll bet he ends up getting half of what he wants.

btw, should this be in "Whats the score?"

StockdaleForVeep
08-28-2006, 02:17 PM
hah, what a joke. i'll bet he ends up getting half of what he wants.

btw, should this be in "Whats the score?"

Has he not proven this season he can produce?

Baby Fisk
08-28-2006, 02:21 PM
He has and then some. The challenge will be in the dollars. Does Frank take less money for the good of the team? Does Beane invest a lot of his scant coins in the Big Hurt? Every year we hear about Oakland's payroll woes. It will be interesting to see how Frank fits into that picture, especially since he is having a great year and wants to continue.

StockdaleForVeep
08-28-2006, 02:23 PM
He has and then some. The challenge will be in the dollars. Does Frank take less money for the good of the team? Does Beane invest a lot of his scant coins in the Big Hurt? Every year we hear about Oakland's payroll woes. It will be interesting to see how Frank fits into that picture, especially since he is having a great year and wants to continue.

But nowhere has a dollar sign been given. Right now he has like bare minimum with incentives, for which i believe he will collect all. More info is needed

eriqjaffe
08-28-2006, 02:36 PM
Wants to play until he is 42When he retires, we will finally all learn the ultiamate question to Life, The Universe, And Everything.

ChiSoxGirl
08-28-2006, 03:25 PM
Wants to play until he is 42 and says he will still produce.

This excerpt is from the Tribune's article yesterday. Frank seems pretty confident in not only his baseball skills, but his ability to remain healthy & strong until 2010....

Asked how long he could see the fun lasting in this second phase of his career, Thomas sounded like a politician running for re-election: four more years.

"I want to play till I'm 42," Thomas said. "I've played with guys who have done it, with Pudge (Carlton Fisk) and Harold Baines and Julio Franco. I saw what it took. I can do it."

SoxSpeed22
08-28-2006, 03:28 PM
If it leads to his 500th home run, that works.

Steelrod
08-28-2006, 03:40 PM
I keep reading on here that Frank's not all about money. Ha
We will see. In my opinion, he is and always was a self centered, selfish player, with HOF ability. I don't wish him bad, but I believe I am correct about who he is!
Also, as a ticket buyer, I reserve the right to cheer or boo who I wish!

maurice
08-28-2006, 03:49 PM
The rotten bastard wants a two-year deal and to be inducted into the HOF?!? Boo his ass! An unselfish player would insist on a one-year deal and then retire while he's still capable of posting .900+ OPS seasons.

That Konerko must be a real jackass. He insisted on a 5-year deal!

soxinem1
08-28-2006, 04:53 PM
I see nothing wrong with it. He didn't say he want $20 million for the two years.

He'll make about $6 million this year between his buyout, base, and incentives, so he'll probably want the $8 million he got last year.

Hey, if Vasquez gets $11 million to give up 4-5 runs in 4-5 innings once or twice a week, then Frank should get $8 million to drive 4-5 runs a week in.

Chicken Dinner
08-28-2006, 05:09 PM
If Frank stays where will Barry play?

voodoochile
08-28-2006, 05:10 PM
We will see. In my opinion, he is and always was a self centered, selfish player, with HOF ability. I don't wish him bad, but I believe I am correct about who he is!

Go for it...:rolleyes:

On the basis of his season, he deserves a multi-year deal for good money. Anyone who says different is a hater plain and simple.

Steelrod
08-28-2006, 05:19 PM

On the basis of his season, he deserves a multi-year deal for good money. Anyone who says different is a hater plain and simple.
I have no argument with what you say!

soxinem1
08-28-2006, 05:27 PM
If Frank stays where will Barry play?

CF

JB98
08-28-2006, 05:36 PM

Frank's production has never been a question. The question is whether he can remain healthy for two consecutive years at this stage of his career. If I were a GM, I don't think I would gamble on that. But I'm not a GM, and I'm certainly not a genius like Billy Beane.

voodoochile
08-28-2006, 06:14 PM
Frank's production has never been a question. The question is whether he can remain healthy for two consecutive years at this stage of his career. If I were a GM, I don't think I would gamble on that. But I'm not a GM, and I'm certainly not a genius like Billy Beane.

Okay, so don't throw down a blank contract and say sign it. Frank would certainly be worth a $5M/yr 2-3 year deal with some incentives to push it to $10M, IMO.

gobears1987
08-28-2006, 06:51 PM
If it leads to his 500th home run, that works.He'll get #500 long before 40 let alone 42.

soxfanreggie
08-28-2006, 07:04 PM
Looking at the production of people who make the big money in baseball, Big Frank is easily worth $3-$5 million a year base. You then throw in incentives to make it worth a lot more. Thus, Frank is not playing for the minimum, and the A's (or whatever team) are not locked in to pay him $8-$10 mil if he's injured. Frank is likely going to hit 35-40 home runs this year for them. That along with 90 RBIs and .260-.270 BA are more than worth a few mil in compensation.

Personally, I would like to see Frank retire with his 500 home runs and a BA still over .300.

StockdaleForVeep
08-28-2006, 07:06 PM

Its selfish to want money? Divorces do take alot of a person's money, especially if yer an athlete\celeb. I wanna say Frank lost a ton, includin his house. Not to mention it took him mentally away for a season

Frater Perdurabo
08-28-2006, 08:51 PM
If he plays four more healthy seasons, he should pass 500 early next year and could make a run at 600 career homers. That would put him in incredibly select company (even though he already is based on his first eight seasons alone and based on his career to date.)
:o:

Steelrod
08-29-2006, 06:31 AM
Its selfish to want money? Divorces do take alot of a person's money, especially if yer an athlete\celeb. I wanna say Frank lost a ton, includin his house. Not to mention it took him mentally away for a season
Totally agree with you except selfish was reference not to money, but to personal stats!

ewokpelts
08-29-2006, 09:11 AM
PER ESPN Rumor Central

Big Frank told the A's he wants a 2 year deal, not incentive laden, and wants it before the season is done. Wants to play until he is 42 and says he will still produce. Its on the rumor central insiders pagei hate espn insider....why do i want to pay for articles on espn.com...let axe body spray for them....

and to make matters worse...most insider articles are on espn's mobile site...for free

voodoochile
08-29-2006, 09:29 AM
Totally agree with you except selfish was reference not to money, but to personal stats!

What? :?:

Do you just make this stuff up because it sounds like something some expert might say if any of them agreed with you?

You got a link?

A quote?

Anything more than your own biased viewpoint to back that crap up?

:whoflungpoo:

PalehosePlanet
08-29-2006, 09:40 AM
Personally, I would like to see Frank retire with his 500 home runs and a BA still over .300.

I agree. He is at .305 and 476 at the moment.

BTW: I wore my old Hurt jersey (circa '91 when we didn't put names on the back of the home unis) on Sunday and it brought good luck. I'm wearing it to the game again tonight.

southside rocks
08-29-2006, 09:41 AM
The A's/Bosox game was on ESPN2 last night and I watched it (mostly because I enjoy seeing Boston get pounded, I admit) -- they played a clip of an interview with Frank in which he said that the first 7 weeks of this season were terrible for him, he felt lost, he couldn't adjust to not being a White Sox after his whole career there. Then, he said, he played at the Cell (May 22) and he got an enormous ovation and the tribute, and that gave him sort of closure, and he was able to really focus on being with the A's and playing his best game.

It was a nice thing for him to say, and I am glad to see him having a good season. And he hit a homerun to help beat Boston last night, so yay Frank! :bandance:

(Wow, Boston is playing really badly! :tongue: )

PatK
08-29-2006, 09:51 AM

Or maybe they don't want to risk the money on a guy that's been injury prone the last few years and has a .246 AVG the last 5 years (not including this year where he's .265)

Be realistic- he's no Ortiz or Hafner.

I'd like to see the dollar total he's asking for.

I would go the same thing Oakland did this year- an incentive laden contract, albeit with a higher base salary.

Frankly Missing
08-29-2006, 10:07 AM
The A's/Bosox game was on ESPN2 last night and I watched it (mostly because I enjoy seeing Boston get pounded, I admit) -- they played a clip of an interview with Frank in which he said that the first 7 weeks of this season were terrible for him, he felt lost, he couldn't adjust to not being a White Sox after his whole career there. Then, he said, he played at the Cell (May 22) and he got an enormous ovation and the tribute, and that gave him sort of closure, and he was able to really focus on being with the A's and playing his best game.

It was a nice thing for him to say, and I am glad to see him having a good season. And he hit a homerun to help beat Boston last night, so yay Frank! :bandance:

Dang! I missed that interveiw! Anyone who can't see what the White Sox meant to Frank is blind in one eye and can't see out of the other.

voodoochile
08-29-2006, 10:50 AM
Or maybe they don't want to risk the money on a guy that's been injury prone the last few years and has a .246 AVG the last 5 years (not including this year where he's .265)

Be realistic- he's no Ortiz or Hafner.

I'd like to see the dollar total he's asking for.

I would go the same thing Oakland did this year- an incentive laden contract, albeit with a higher base salary.

Yes and I said as much later in the same thread. I never suggested he deserved a $15M/year guaranteed deal.

soxinem1
08-29-2006, 10:52 AM

I watched the interview and game. It was good to hear his real words, not some comments taken out of context by 'Frank-haters'. It was obvious he was speaking from the heart. Only his true fans know how he feels now after he gave the interview.

And at the plate, Frank looks like he did in his prime. He's laying off the pitches he does not like (3BB's yesterday), just missed nailing one in the third, then he nailed one later.

I think Frank may end up hitting in the .280's this year, and if he gets hot, who knows? Maybe he has another .300 season or two left.

I do know that his ability to make good contact is back, and his eye looks sharper than it has been since 2000.

Go Frank!!

hawkjt
08-29-2006, 11:20 AM
I watched most of that A's game last nite and truly enjoyed watching Frank do his thing. He looked totally healthy at the plate , that much is certain. His oba is at .390 and rising.

As the announcers repeated several times- Frank Thomas is the main offensive threat on this team and as beane said- they are nowhere without Frank this year cuz their offense is very bad-.253 team average. Once again Frank is the focus of his teams offense, just like on the south side. And again the announcers reiterated that opposing teams only need to really work around one guy in the A's lineup- Frank Thomas.

Beane will not let Frank get away- he is the straw that stirs their drink. Would I like to have Frank in the lineup right now on the south side- you betcha- he is better than Jim right now cuz he hits both right and lefty pitchers. I like jimbo but he is pretty hapless lately against the leftys.

But I understand we could not gamble on franks ankle - so Beane throws the dice and wins - it could have gone bad for him also.

Watching Frank is still a thrill to me as a baseball fan-he is simply the most imposing guy at the plate in my era.

IlliniSox4Life
08-29-2006, 12:43 PM

That game is when Frank really took off. I'm off to look up the numbers since then and before then, but it's pretty amazing the difference.

Edit: before that game, he hit .177 with 7HR in 118 at bats. That game and later (not including last nights game), he's hitting basically .305 with 20 HR in 240 at bats. So throw in last night and that's 21 HR.

the gooch
08-29-2006, 12:57 PM
Beane will not let Frank get away- he is the straw that stirs their drink.
I never thought I would see the day where Frank is called a straw.:redneck
He is more like the cup that holds the damn drink.

EndemicSox
08-29-2006, 01:09 PM
If his OBP continues to hover around the .400 mark, he will absolutely get what he wants from some team needing a DH.

ZombieRob
08-29-2006, 03:41 PM
I know im in the minority but if he gets his 500th in an A's uniform will ge go into the hall as an A? I know Fisk went to the World Series as a Bo Sox but he broke alot of the records he has now with the White Sox ,put more years in with the White Sox but went into the hall as Red Sox .That kinda let me down on him big time.

Baby Fisk
08-29-2006, 03:43 PM
I know im in the minority but if he gets his 500th in an A's uniform will ge go into the hall as an A? I know Fisk went to the World Series as a Bo Sox but he broke alot of the records he has now with the White Sox ,put more years in with the White Sox but went into the hall as Red Sox .That kinda let me down on him big time.
Frank will go into the HOF as a White Sox, regardless of what he accomplishes in the remainder of his career.

ZombieRob
08-29-2006, 03:59 PM
Frank will go into the HOF as a White Sox, regardless of what he accomplishes in the remainder of his career.

I'd hope so ,but seeing how bitter he is with everything leaves some lingering doubt.

Baby Fisk
08-29-2006, 04:01 PM
I'd hope so ,but seeing how bitter he is with everything leaves some lingering doubt.
Players are no longer able to choose which hat they wear into the hall. It's now selected by the HOF. Anyway, it's not like the Fisk situation (11 years with one team, 13 years with another). Frank played 16 years with one team, and that's the team he will represent in the hall.

FedEx227
08-29-2006, 04:27 PM
Um this is Oakland we're talking about... if they let Mulder, Hudson, Damon, Tejada, Giambi, Isringhausen and Dye leave because they wanted extended deals, they aren't going to sign Thomas for a long period of time. Signing an old, injury-prone hitter such as Thomas (not arguing with production) goes against everything Beane has done in Oakland.

34 Inch Stick
08-29-2006, 04:35 PM
If his OBP continues to hover around the .400 mark, he will absolutely get what he wants from some team needing a DH.

I would think the Royals alone would give him two years, simply to fill seats as their young core matures.

maurice
08-29-2006, 04:38 PM

The injury risk is a legit consideration, but the AVE argument is just silly. There are much better ways to evaluate a player's offensive capabilities. All of them indicate that Frank remains an elite hitter when he's healthy.

maurice
08-29-2006, 04:40 PM
Um this is Oakland we're talking about... if they let Mulder, Hudson, Damon, Tejada, Giambi, Isringhausen and Dye leave because they wanted extended deals, they aren't going to sign Thomas for a long period of time.

You're saying that 2 years is an "extended deal"? BB has inked plenty of 2+ year deals, and I'm pretty sure the guys you named wanted at least twice that length.

MISoxfan
08-29-2006, 08:40 PM
I agree. He is at .305 and 476 at the moment.

BTW: I wore my old Hurt jersey (circa '91 when we didn't put names on the back of the home unis) on Sunday and it brought good luck. I'm wearing it to the game again tonight.

I think he will increase his lifetime average next season if he remains healthy. I could see .275+ out of him this season even after batting .177 before he came to Chicago.

I want Mags back
08-30-2006, 12:33 PM
Im feeling 600

southwstchi4life
08-30-2006, 01:19 PM
PER ESPN Rumor Central

Big Frank told the A's he wants a 2 year deal, not incentive laden, and wants it before the season is done. Wants to play until he is 42 and says he will still produce. Its on the rumor central insiders page

Source please. I don't believe alot what the media says about the big hurt. My guess it was taken outta context. We all remember how the meduia treated big Frank here