PDA

View Full Version : Scott Podsednik's Big Game?

BigPapaPump
08-28-2006, 08:30 AM
My morning rituals include always checking the highlights from the night before on the Soxs' homepage. I was glad to see Pods get a couple of hits, but the title of the highlight was ,"Podsedniks Big Game". It has gotten so bad for Scotty that we have to applaud him for a game that would have been average for him last year. 3 Singles(2 infield) and a stolen base? Does anyone else consider those stats worthy of being called a Big Game?

MrRoboto83
08-28-2006, 08:33 AM
My morning rituals include always checking the highlights from the night before on the Soxs' homepage. I was glad to see Pods get a couple of hits, but the title of the highlight was ,"Podsedniks Big Game". It has gotten so bad for Scotty that we have to applaud him for a game that would have been average for him last year. 3 Singles(2 infield) and a stolen base? Does anyone else consider those stats worthy of being called a Big Game?

I am going to say yes. Whenever Pods has a good game the Sox win, he is a very important key to the Sox sucess. Lets hope he gets on a hot streak. It is good to see him bunting again.

itsnotrequired
08-28-2006, 08:34 AM

Scotty had two stolen bases, not one. He also drew a walk.

It was very encouraging to see him (and the Sox in general) being more aggressive on the basepaths. That bunt he put down was a thing of beauty and I for one hope it is the start of his style of play for the rest of the season.

MsSoxVixen22
08-28-2006, 08:35 AM
I am going to say yes. Whenever Pods has a good game the Sox win, he is a very important key to the Sox sucess. Lets hope he gets on a hot streak. It is good to see him bunting again.

I couldn't agree with you more. I've said this as well. It seems when Pods is out there doing his thing, bunting and stealing, etc. it ignites the rest of the team. Here's hoping Pods keeps up the good work! :D:

The Immigrant
08-28-2006, 09:01 AM
Podsednik is one of only 2-3 guys in our lineup who can play "small ball", which this offense needs to balance our reliance on the homerun. We also sorely lack speed on the basepaths, which only he and 2-3 others can provide. I have been very critical of his lack of aggressiveness over the last few weeks but I'm cautiously optimistic that yesterday's game is a sign of better things to come. We don't need him to steal two bases each game, but we do need him to work the count better, get on base more, and be more aggressive on the basepaths. Lowered expectations is the name of the game with Podsednik these days, and hopefully he can deliver.

BigPapaPump
08-28-2006, 09:07 AM

I agree that when Pods gets on base and steals effectively the Sox are a much stronger team. I hope this is the start of strong finish by Pods. I was just questioning the "Big Game" title for an effort that would have been par for the course last year.

Also, I only saw one stolen base on the highlights. Did he steal 2nd twice or did he take 3rd for the other?

rdwj
08-28-2006, 09:10 AM
Pods was a real bright spot yesterday. Seeing him but his way on and get in the pitcher's head reminded me a lot of last year. Let's hope that we see much more of this from now on (and MUUCH less Mac)

Hitmen77
08-28-2006, 09:42 AM
Scotty had two stolen bases, not one. He also drew a walk.

It was very encouraging to see him (and the Sox in general) being more aggressive on the basepaths. That bunt he put down was a thing of beauty and I for one hope it is the start of his style of play for the rest of the season.

Pods also had a great bunt-single in the bottom of the 11th Saturday in our failed comeback attempt.

0o0o0
08-28-2006, 09:50 AM
He also gunned down Castillo trying to stretch a single to a double. :mg:

DaleJRFan
08-28-2006, 10:22 AM

It was a big game. A textbook bunt single, solid single through the rightside, another single, two steals and one helluva throw to nail Castillo trying to stretch a single into a double. It was a big day for Pods, regardless of how he was playing the first half of the season.

Grzegorz
08-28-2006, 10:34 AM
What I want to know is why the philosophical change in his approach to the game? Was he hurt earlier which limited his first step from the box when bunting and his cross over step when he tried to steal?

An interview with Pods, with these type of questions being asked would be appreciated.

Railsplitter
08-28-2006, 10:36 AM
Two infield hits are better than two 399 foot fly outs.

cheezheadsoxfan
08-28-2006, 10:58 AM

I'd call it a big game compared to the way he has been playing. There were 2 steals and a great throw. We haven't been great this year at nailing runners so that was great to see.

If calling it a "Big Game" gives Pods an ego boost to keep it up that's fine by me.

Myrtle72
08-28-2006, 11:16 AM
What I want to know is why the philosophical change in his approach to the game?

I think there's beeen a ton of pressure on him to step up and play like he did last year, for one. And I personally believe that the thought of adding Owens' speed to the lineup kinda worries him. Or at least, it would worry me if I were him. I can't find the article now, but I remember reading an article on whitesox.com where Ozzie said something about him still being in his "Honeymoon" phaze with his wife or something and that was part of the reason why he was distratced? I dunno, sounded like a lame excuse to me...

nedlug
08-28-2006, 11:22 AM
If that was an 'average' day for Pods last year, then how come he didn't hit .500? That would have been a heckuva game, last or this year.

BigPapaPump
08-28-2006, 01:03 PM
If that was an 'average' day for Pods last year, then how come he didn't hit .500? That would have been a heckuva game, last or this year.

Obviously, I didn't mean that it was an everyday occurance, but it happened more frequently in 2005. I wouldn't even call it one heck of a game for him. One of his singles would have been a fielders choice if anyone other than BA was on first. Even with his three hits he only scored one run and didn't have any RBI's. I know its not his fault if no one is on base, but I'm still waiting to see these kinds of at-bats with RISP.

hawkjt
08-28-2006, 01:08 PM
Actually, I think Scotties ba with RISP is about his only bright spot this year so far. I think he is over .300 and has driven in runs at a higher rate than last year.

Scottie getting on a streak right now- keep it going ,Pods.

BigPapaPump
08-28-2006, 01:18 PM
Actually, I think Scotties ba with RISP is about his only bright spot this year so far. I think he is over .300 and has driven in runs at a higher rate than last year.

Scottie getting on a streak right now- keep it going ,Pods.

I take those numbers with a grain of salt, he fattened up on RBI's in May and June.

MISoxfan
08-28-2006, 11:34 PM
In my book Joe Crede has 1 less home run and 3 less rbi.

Chips
08-29-2006, 12:03 AM
Two infield hits are better than two 399 foot fly outs.

They're also bette than obligatory backwards K that I was so used to seeing.