PDA

View Full Version : Well, the Twins are going w/ this rotation

caulfield12
08-27-2006, 07:15 PM
into Yankee Stadium this weekend.

Silva, Radke, Garza

Apparently, they gave Radke another cortisone shot over the weekend and they're going to push back his normally scheduled start against KC this week and move him back to Saturday because of the offday Monday, giving him a full week's rest.

Probable Yankees starters
Lidle, Karstens (won today in Anaheim) and Wang

A huge break for the Twins, the Yankees get Mussina off the DL two days after the series is over.

Chisox003
08-27-2006, 07:34 PM
We need to take care of our own **** and let the rest of the pieces fall where they may.

Nothing the Twins or Tigers do will matter if we don't beat the garbage coming up over the next week.

WinTwins
08-27-2006, 07:37 PM
Almost no matter how you slice this series, the Twins should be happy to win even one game. I know that isn't the way champions/contenders think, but going into the Bronx with a hurting Radke and a rookie could be a problem. And you saw Silva today. Ugh. One good thing is that they've usually found a way to over-achieve, so maybe they can surprise us once more. The other positive is that that series in NY is surrounded by Kansas City and Tampa Bay, who they've done well against. It's gonna stay tight for awhile.

caulfield12
08-27-2006, 07:41 PM
Twins' Regular season at Yankee Stadium

2002 0-3
2003 0-3
2004 0-3
2005 1-2

They did win one game in both 2003 and 2004 at Yankee Stadium in the playoffs, but collapsed at home.

gobears1987
08-27-2006, 07:51 PM
I'm a Yankee fan this week...

so to fit in I'll act like an *******.

buehrle4cy05
08-27-2006, 07:55 PM
I seriously question how much longer Radke can go with this whole torn labrum thing. I look at those three starters and see a taxed bullpen. The Yankees work the count better than any team in the AL, and when you're throwing a rookie, a guy with a torn labrum, and Carlos Silva out there, the bullpen is going to get a lot of work. That doesn't bode well when you're going into a 4-game series against Detroit, either.

SpartanSoxFan
08-27-2006, 09:59 PM
I seriously question how much longer Radke can go with this whole torn labrum thing. I look at those three starters and see a taxed bullpen. The Yankees work the count better than any team in the AL, and when you're throwing a rookie, a guy with a torn labrum, and Carlos Silva out there, the bullpen is going to get a lot of work. That doesn't bode well when you're going into a 4-game series against Detroit, either.

I hear what you are saying, but I agree with ChiSox003. The Sox need to beat Tampa Bay, and by beat them I mean a minimum of 2 games.

infohawk
08-27-2006, 10:05 PM
I posted in another thread that I believe it very possible that the Twins will have a bad September because of the state of their rotation. The MUST get consistently good starts from two, maybe three rookies to hang in there and their schedule isn't going to be easy. They have 3 against the Yankees, 3 against the can-be-scrappy Devil Rays, 4 against the Tigers (that can benefit the Sox either way), 3 against the A's, 4 against a Cleveland team with a good offense, 3 against Boston (floundering a bit), 3 against an Oriole team that has played better lately and 3 against us. This could be a very tough schedule with rookie pitchers in the heat of a playoff race. They play the Royals next month too. Notice I seperated them from everyone else! That said, I don't think either Santana (with the off day Monday he might pitch against them) or Radke will face the Royals so you never know.

caulfield12
08-27-2006, 10:12 PM
I posted in another thread that I believe it very possible that the Twins will have a bad September because of the state of their rotation. The MUST get consistently good starts from two, maybe three rookies to hang in there and their schedule isn't going to be easy. They have 3 against the Yankees, 3 against the can-be-scrappy Devil Rays, 4 against the Tigers (that can benefit the Sox either way), 3 against the A's, 4 against a Cleveland team with a good offense, 3 against Boston (floundering a bit), 3 against an Oriole team that has played better lately and 3 against us. This could be a very tough schedule with rookie pitchers in the heat of a playoff race. They play the Royals next month too. Notice I seperated them from everyone else! That said, I don't think either Santana (with the off day Monday he might pitch against them) or Radke will face the Royals so you never know.

Santana will pitch Thursday against KC and Radke SAT against the Yankees.

buehrle4cy05
08-27-2006, 11:34 PM
I hear what you are saying, but I agree with ChiSox003. The Sox need to beat Tampa Bay, and by beat them I mean a minimum of 2 games.

Everything I said doesn't mean anything unless the Sox win at least 2 against Tampa Bay.

Nellie_Fox
08-28-2006, 12:48 AM
The Twins are in trouble, because they are going with a starting rotation with Santana and then hold on. They have a very good bullpen that is going to get overtaxed because they have only one scheduled day off between now and the end of the season.

hawkjt
08-28-2006, 01:06 AM
Problem is that they lead the league in hitting and that could make up a pitching shortage.

And they do play great defense. I hope we have a chance to catch them in that last weekend. All I want is a shot.

Nellie_Fox
08-28-2006, 01:12 AM
Problem is that they lead the league in hitting and that could make up a pitching shortage.

And they do play great defense. I hope we have a chance to catch them in that last weekend. All I want is a shot.I will be very worried if the Sox have to count on taking that series in the Humpdome the final weekend. Very worried.

Flight #24
08-28-2006, 07:17 AM
I will be very worried if the Sox have to count on taking that series in the Humpdome the final weekend. Very worried.

Sox traditional struggles in Minny + Twins strong play at home + Santana + Liriano = :o: .

Sox need a decent 2-3 game lead going into the final series. Or to have already passed the Tiggers.

Tragg
08-28-2006, 07:48 AM
Really the same schedule setup as last year, except that last year we dominated the team we had to visit all season.

Not an easy situation under any circumstances.

Seems to me we close on the road against a Central foe every year.

Foulke You
08-28-2006, 09:27 AM
Sox traditional struggles in Minny + Twins strong play at home + Santana + Liriano = :o: .

Sox need a decent 2-3 game lead going into the final series. Or to have already passed the Tiggers.
The Sox need to go into that Metrodome series with a wild card lead that only requires them to win 1 to clinch. I think they can win 1 there, I don't want to be in a tied situation where we need 2 to clinch.

Twins Win
08-28-2006, 02:13 PM
It sounds like Liriano may be back in the middle of September. I hope that's the case.

DaleJRFan
08-28-2006, 02:17 PM
It sounds like Liriano may be back in the middle of September. I hope that's the case.

Just in time for the Sox to hand him his ass the last series of the year.

caulfield12
08-28-2006, 02:33 PM

And they do play great defense. I hope we have a chance to catch them in that last weekend. All I want is a shot.

Nothing less than a 2 game lead will do, because you know they're going to align Liriano (if healthy) and Santana against us in that series. And why would we expect Johan to lose at home when he hasn't all season? Saturday night was a Herculean effort, but, even then, we still came up short.

We need to be up 3 to make me feel comfortable, although I highly doubt we will have that luxury. If we are to get that lead, it's going to happen in the next two weeks, where we have a slightly more favorable schedule and Liriano is still sidelined.

Jurr
08-28-2006, 04:12 PM
into Yankee Stadium this weekend.

Silva, Radke, Garza

Apparently, they gave Radke another cortisone shot over the weekend and they're going to push back his normally scheduled start against KC this week and move him back to Saturday because of the offday Monday, giving him a full week's rest.

Probable Yankees starters
Lidle, Karstens (won today in Anaheim) and Wang

A huge break for the Twins, the Yankees get Mussina off the DL two days after the series is over.d
Mark my words...Radke WILL NOT FINISH THIS SEASON. That injury just can't be held together with duct tape. It gets to a point that this cartilage just will not respond to anti-inflammatory medication. Period.

Rest or surgery is indicated, and you can't get either and still be pitching in a rotation. What's going to happen is that he's either going to be dealing with so much pain that he can't perform, or he's going to find his range of motion totally hampered, which will make him ineffective.

Bank on it. They're going to have to depend on other sources for wins.

samram
08-28-2006, 05:21 PM
d
Mark my words...Radke WILL NOT FINISH THIS SEASON. That injury just can't be held together with duct tape. It gets to a point that this cartilage just will not respond to anti-inflammatory medication. Period.

Rest or surgery is indicated, and you can't get either and still be pitching in a rotation. What's going to happen is that he's either going to be dealing with so much pain that he can't perform, or he's going to find his range of motion totally hampered, which will make him ineffective.

Bank on it. They're going to have to depend on other sources for wins.

I wonder how many cortisone shots he's had this year. After awhile, those shots, while helping dull the pain, could actually damage healthy tissue in his shoulder, which, as you said, would make him even less effective.

Ol' No. 2
08-28-2006, 05:27 PM
d

Bank on it. They're going to have to depend on other sources for wins.I'll go one better. I say he won't make it past one more start.

Nellie_Fox
08-28-2006, 11:58 PM
Liriano was supposed to throw off of a mound today. I'll be interested to see what the report is. The Twins have said they won't put him back in the starting rotation if he is able to pitch this year, but will use him in relief. I think they might actually mean it, as they are being very protective of him.

caulfield12
08-29-2006, 04:03 AM
Liriano was supposed to throw off of a mound today. I'll be interested to see what the report is. The Twins have said they won't put him back in the starting rotation if he is able to pitch this year, but will use him in relief. I think they might actually mean it, as they are being very protective of him.

And the aura of invincibility is coming off Walker and Reyes in the AL Central.

Miller and Liriano are on the way as reinforcements.

Hitmen77
08-29-2006, 08:28 PM

I haven't heard any updates on Lirano's return, but I would guess that the Twins will be cautious in bringing him back with an eye on his long term health.

caulfield12
08-29-2006, 10:16 PM
I haven't heard any updates on Lirano's return, but I would guess that the Twins will be cautious in bringing him back with an eye on his long term health.

The only thing I've heard is that they do expect him back but that he would be used in a "Zumaya-esque" fashion down the stretch and not as a starter.

Nellie_Fox
08-30-2006, 11:28 AM
Either I heard it wrong the other day, or they re-scheduled it, but KFAN was reporting that Liriano will throw off a mound today.

soxfan13
08-30-2006, 11:59 AM
I'll go one better. I say he won't make it past one more start.

He might but you have to admire the guy for pitching when his arm is hanging on strings. He could have easily said screw this I am retiring and sit back and collect his salary.

caulfield12
08-30-2006, 12:03 PM
He might but you have to admire the guy for pitching when his arm is hanging on strings. He could have easily said screw this I am retiring and sit back and collect his salary.

See Wells, David.