Liefer is playing left out

Without position, he'd 'welcome' trade from Sox

By Paul Sullivan
Tribune staff reporter

February 23, 2002 8:51 PM CST

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
E-mail this story
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
TUCSON, Ariz. - Jeff Liefer is taking ground balls at third base again, though he knows he's not going to play much there this year.

Barring injuries, he may not play much at all.

Liefer, 27, is caught in a bind, and there's only one way out. After hitting 18 home runs in just 254 at-bats last season, Liefer is hoping to produce again this spring in hopes of being traded.

"I'm definitely not demanding a trade, but I'd welcome one," Liefer said. "I love the organization, love my teammates and the [coaching] staff. I'd love to be a starter for the White Sox. But if it comes down to starting somewhere else or being a reserve here, I'd rather go elsewhere. I feel I'd be a good corner outfielder for some team."

As the Sox's only left-handed power threat outside of the switch-hitting Jose Valentin, Liefer is unlikely to be moved. But Frank Thomas is back as DH, Valentin is at third, Paul Konerko is at first and Carlos Lee and Magglio Ordonez are the corner outfielders.

"We have talented players preventing him from getting those at-bats," general manager Ken Williams said. "So when we say it's going to be difficult to get him a lot of at-bats, even though he had a lot of production last year, what we're saying is we're getting even more production [from others], or we're covered to such an extent that we can have a guy like this on our bench. So that's a good thing for us."

Liefer's .520 slugging percentage was second on the team to Ordonez, and he led the Sox in home-run ratio, one every 14.1 at-bats.

"Something has to happen," Liefer said. "I've talked to both Ken and Jerry [Manuel], and they tell me, 'Be patient, we need a left-handed power hitter here.' But I haven't seen anything done to get me in the lineup. I don't know if there is any real plan for me."

Copyright 2002 The Chicago Tribune

RedPinStripes
02-24-2002, 03:43 AM
Tough spot for jeffro. I don'r think there will ever be a spot for him here. How about Jeff, Lee and Rowand for Vladamir Gurrero? I know i butchered his name, but you know who i'm talkiing about.

CLR01
02-24-2002, 04:02 AM
What a whiny baby. :whiner:

MattSharp
02-24-2002, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Tough spot for jeffro. I don'r think there will ever be a spot for him here. How about Jeff, Lee and Rowand for Vladamir Gurrero? I know i butchered his name, but you know who i'm talkiing about.

I would make this trade in like less than 3 seconds. Who knows, if the Expos are really gonna fold, maybe they could pull it off? :smile:

RedPinStripes
02-24-2002, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by MattSharp

I would make this trade in like less than 3 seconds. Who knows, if the Expos are really gonna fold, maybe they could pull it off? :smile:

Alright. There's one that agrees with me. Vlad does some amazing things with a bat.

Imagine this OF

Maggs
Borchard
Vlad

How much better can you get?

CLR01
02-24-2002, 01:25 PM

Alright. There's one that agrees with me. Vlad does some amazing things with a bat.

Imagine this OF

Maggs
Borchard
Vlad

How much better can you get?

Wrong board, that BS belongs here.

http://boards.espn.go.com/cgi/mlb/request.dll?LIST&room=mlb_chc

Jerry_Manuel
02-24-2002, 01:39 PM
Adios, Jeff.

RichH55
02-24-2002, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by CLR01
What a whiny baby. :whiner:

Why? Seems like he understands the situation rather well and just wants a shot....after a year of Royce and the media stories from Boston last year about Everitt...you classify this as whining? I think the guy just sees the writing on the wall

WinningUgly!
02-24-2002, 06:13 PM
What a whiny baby. :whiner: Sounds just like your guy :slowswing did. :D:

kermittheefrog
02-25-2002, 12:35 AM
Ha he wants a trade that's great. Liefer is a lot like Jack Cust in that both of them have good bats yet no position in the field but Cust can walk 100 times in a year and Liefer can't. All the D-Backs got for Cust was Mike Myers so I don't think the market is jumping for Jeff Liefer.

RedPinStripes
02-25-2002, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by RichH55

Why? Seems like he understands the situation rather well and just wants a shot....after a year of Royce and the media stories from Boston last year about Everitt...you classify this as whining? I think the guy just sees the writing on the wall

CLRs' still bleeding over that useless whining religeous freak being traded. That's all.

kermittheefrog
02-25-2002, 03:29 AM

CLRs' still bleeding over that useless whining religeous freak being traded. That's all.

Yeah really. To have a position you kind of have to play one. Liefer started at third, couldn't play there and got moved to left ala Carlos Lee. Now we've all seen Carlos Lee in left and he's not very good to say the least yet the Sox tolerate him. Well the Sox moved Lief from left the first cuz they didn't think he could handle the position. He's not exactly a gold glover at first nor does his bat justify him playing first for a major league team. I'm not really sure where Liefer thinks he's going to start maybe he wants a trade to the St. Paul Saints or Orix Blue Wave?

RichH55
02-25-2002, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

Yeah really. To have a position you kind of have to play one. Liefer started at third, couldn't play there and got moved to left ala Carlos Lee. Now we've all seen Carlos Lee in left and he's not very good to say the least yet the Sox tolerate him. Well the Sox moved Lief from left the first cuz they didn't think he could handle the position. He's not exactly a gold glover at first nor does his bat justify him playing first for a major league team. I'm not really sure where Liefer thinks he's going to start maybe he wants a trade to the St. Paul Saints or Orix Blue Wave?

I think the Saints or Blue Wave is a bit harsh for liefer.....Hes a Leftie Power Hitter...surely there is a team that can find a place for him...the fact that he cant crack ourt lineup says more about our lineup than any lack of ability by Liefer

kermittheefrog
02-25-2002, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by RichH55

I think the Saints or Blue Wave is a bit harsh for liefer.....Hes a Leftie Power Hitter...surely there is a team that can find a place for him...the fact that he cant crack ourt lineup says more about our lineup than any lack of ability by Liefer

He's a good bench bat but if he really thinks he belongs in a starters role somewhere he needs to cool it.

RichH55
02-25-2002, 04:53 AM

He's a good bench bat but if he really thinks he belongs in a starters role somewhere he needs to cool it.

You can't blame the guy for wanting to start...and the way he worded it didn't scream "distraction" or "meglomanic" to me....just a guy who understands his situation here(bench bat, spot stater), but who knows there are other teams out there where he could start....he's not 22 he does need to think about his future here

RedPinStripes
02-25-2002, 07:16 AM

He can play LF for the O's and CLR can be a bigger baltamore fan.

MarqSox
02-25-2002, 10:41 AM

There's probably a dozen teams that Liefer could start on. If he DIDN'T want to be traded to one of them, I would have to question his determination. That said, that dozen or so would be lower rung teams, so he wouldn't have as good a chance to win. But let's lay off the criticism, why knock a guy for wanting to improve his lot in life? As long as he doesn't become a detriment to the team, I see nothing wrong with a guy wanting to better his situation.

Meatpants
02-25-2002, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox

There's probably a dozen teams that Liefer could start on.

I don't think there are too many places he could go to get 500+ at bats. It'd have to be in the AL since he couldn't play LF every day. He's a bench player at best, I don't care about his HR/at-bat ratio, I think you'd win more games w/ a more versatile player (Harris, Simmons, etc) on the bench than Liefer.

hold2dibber
02-25-2002, 01:59 PM

I agree that he hasn't proved that he necessarily deserves a starter's role, but I do think he has proved that he deserves at least a shot at a starter's role. The guy has clearly proven all he can prove at the minor league level -- he tore it up at every level. In his first extended stay in the majors, all he did was lead the team in home run ratio and come in second in SLG. Granted, he was far from perfect -- he struck out way too much and he didn't hit a lick against lefties. But he has shown certainly shown the potential to be an above average major league hitter. That said, I simply do not see him getting a starting role any time in the foreseeable future, barring (God forbid) an injury or possibly the trade of C. Lee.

fuzzy_patters
02-25-2002, 04:02 PM
Here's an idea, idiot. Learn to play a position before you start bitching about playing time. Jeff Liefer, the second coming of Olmedo Saenz.

Foulke You
02-25-2002, 04:12 PM
It's too bad there isn't a spot for Liefer. I see a lot of power number potential for the guy. In my opinion he could certainly be a 35-40HR 100RBI guy and hit a solid .265 for us. Jeff's swing reminds me of Jim Thome in a way. I've defended Jeff on this board since the Rivals.com days and I'll continue to do so. People continue to rip on Jeff Liefer's defense. Let's clear one thing up, he's not a third baseman. Manuel tried him there but his natural position is LF/1B which is where he played in Charlotte. That being said, he only made 1 error in the outfield last year. His other errors were at 3B. He's not blazing speed or a gold glove but he takes good routes to flyballs and never once looked as dazed as Carlos Lee does out there. Offensively Liefer got much better as the year went on. In the early part of his tenure he looked like a Russel Branyon wannabe but he started laying off the outside strike and started working 3-1 and 2-0 counts. The guy also has some flat out power. My criticism of Jeff is that he's slow and that he can't really hit the ball the other way. He's strictly a pull hitter. I love Carlos but I would give Jeff Liefer a hard look for the starting Left Fielder job if you could work a trade that includes Lee to get another pitcher.

RichH55
02-25-2002, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by fuzzy_patters
Here's an idea, idiot. Learn to play a position before you start bitching about playing time. Jeff Liefer, the second coming of Olmedo Saenz.

And the argument has now derided into incoherent rambling....good times

hold2dibber
02-25-2002, 04:32 PM

Did you even read the article? He said he'd rather start than be a reserve and said he didn't know if the Sox had a plan for him. How is that "bitching about playing time" and how does that make him an idiot? I certainly hope he would rather start than be a reserve -- I want a team full of guys that are aggressive and have confidence in themselves. And he's totally right -- the Sox don't seem to have a plan for him (witness keeping Harold instead of him coming out of ST last year), despite the fact that he has proven himself to be a solid hitter at every turn.

fuzzy_patters
02-25-2002, 04:36 PM
He's proven he can hit with power when put in the right situation. So have Saenz and Daryl Ward. Big deal, these guys are a dime a dozen.

longshot7
02-25-2002, 08:07 PM
I say we sell him for a case of beer, if he doesn't want to be here...

LongDistanceFan
02-25-2002, 09:06 PM
i like his talent for hitting, but he will only play for an al with a dh. who needs a good dh?

foulkesfan11
02-25-2002, 09:09 PM
LET LIEFER PLAY!!!!

:kelly

CLR01
02-25-2002, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by foulkesfan11
LET LIEFER PLAY!!!!

:kelly

Ummm where??? Send him to the cubs.

foulkesfan11
02-25-2002, 11:32 PM
They'll find a place for him when Konerko messes up this year.

:discomoron

CLR01
02-26-2002, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by foulkesfan11
They'll find a place for him when Konerko messes up this year.

The disco jay tag must always be used with the music. He can not get his groove on without it.

bjmarte
02-26-2002, 01:22 AM

The disco jay tag must always be used with the music. He can not get his groove on without it.

You mean I have to sit here for 20 minutes and download a beegees wav file to get the joke every time. Come on, some of us are still on dial-up. At lease make it an MP3.

RedPinStripes
02-26-2002, 06:20 AM

There he goes. The finn troll at it again. Nice sig.

hold2dibber
02-26-2002, 02:08 PM
He's proven he can hit with power when put in the right situation. So have Saenz and Daryl Ward. Big deal, these guys are a dime a dozen.

I agree, but he has shown enough, IMHO, that he deserves a chance to see what he can do with consistent at bats (though, again, I don't see that happening on the Sox). If you were in his shoes, you would surely think you had proven enough to get a shot at being an every day player and you would want that opportunity; he is not an idiot for wanting that chance and he isn't ripping the team or acting as a distraction, so give the guy a break. All he said was that he would like the chance.

Konerkofan
02-27-2002, 12:14 PM
Nice music - Leifer should be given a chance! He always comes through

RedPinStripes
02-27-2002, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Konerkofan
Nice music - Leifer should be given a chance! He always comes through

I'd love to see Jeff get a shot, but where is he going to play? I wouldn't mind seeing Le go for pitching, but then Rowand might beat him out on the Job for LF.

RichH55
02-27-2002, 03:36 PM

I'd love to see Jeff get a shot, but where is he going to play? I wouldn't mind seeing Le go for pitching, but then Rowand might beat him out on the Job for LF.

Unless you can turn Lee into a nice trade you are better off playing him over the alternatives