PDA

View Full Version : A few general questions regarding the Sox

OzzyTrain
08-27-2006, 06:02 PM
1. How come after every inning when the Sox play defense, the 1st baseman, either Paulie or Gload get tossed a ball to toss back to the fans. I understand why they do it, but how come its always to the 1st baseman ?

2. How come the Sox never wear any of the other throw back uniforms, besides the white ones.

3. Anyone else notice ( I sit in upper deck ) they switch from beer cans now to all bottle vendors. I wonder why

whitesoxwilkes
08-27-2006, 06:06 PM
1. How come after every inning when the Sox play defense, the 1st baseman, either Paulie or Gload get tossed a ball to toss back to the fans. I understand why they do it, but how come its always to the 1st baseman ?

1. Actually, the first baseman gets another ball tossed to them as they come off the field and they then flip the game ball to the fans. Reason for this is that the first baseman throws the ball to the other infielders at the start of each inning while they warm up. That way they have a ball in their glove when they take the field again. It's pretty much a baseball universal.

IlliniSox4Life
08-27-2006, 06:25 PM
2. How come the Sox never wear any of the other throw back uniforms, besides the white ones.

The throwbacks change every year. This year they are the 1906 ones because it is the 100th anniversary of winning that World Series.

They are also usually white in general because teams mostly wear throwbacks at home, and the home jerseys are usually white.

jamokes
08-27-2006, 06:26 PM
Also if you watch the first baseman coming in after an inning, yes he gets a ball and it's the same ball all season for infield toss. the ball is tossed from the same coach to the first baseman. After infield toss at the start of each inning the first baseman tosses the ball back to the same coach. Last night, every inning Morneau tossed the ball always on one hop to Jerry White. Baseball superstition.

Palehose13
08-27-2006, 06:28 PM

Have you ever played ball?

Brian26
08-27-2006, 06:38 PM

Be nice, it seemed like an honest question.

BeeBeeRichard
08-27-2006, 06:39 PM
Hmm. Perhaps I am reading this wrong (and I understand that what's written by one person can be read differently by another), but your question makes it sound like you think the original question is stupid. Do you have to have played organized ball at a certain level to be a White Sox fan? Or just to ask a question here?

fquaye149
08-27-2006, 06:46 PM
Hmm. Perhaps I am reading this wrong (and I understand that what's written by one person can be read differently by another), but your question makes it sound like you think the original question is stupid. Do you have to have played organized ball at a certain level to be a White Sox fan? Or just to ask a question here?

Of course you don't have to have played ball to be a fan, but it's nice to understand the basics of the game (i.e.--the last out of an inning is going to be made at 1B about 1/4 of the time).

OzzyTrain
08-27-2006, 06:46 PM

Only for fun, I just never thought about it really.

miker
08-28-2006, 10:43 AM
:DJ
Uh-oh!

Palehose13
08-28-2006, 12:51 PM

I was asking an honest question. I guess I just can't imagine that someone would be a baseball fan and never actually played ball...at least in little league. There are no pre-req's to being a Sox fan or to be here, except maybe to ease up on the sensitivity. :wink:

Brian26- I was being nice. :redneck