PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Owens called up, placed on DL

nedlug
08-27-2006, 10:58 AM
I can't believe no one's posted about this yet...

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060826&content_id=1630249&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Postseason glance? If the White Sox reach the playoffs, either as the American League Central champs or the AL Wild Card, they presented themselves another option Saturday for the postseason roster. Jerry Owens, the fleet-footed center fielder with a .264 average and 37 stolen bases for Triple-A Charlotte, was recalled prior to Saturday's contest and placed on the 15-day disabled list.
With the move being made prior to Sept. 1, Owens would be an eligible candidate for the playoff roster if the White Sox opt to go for extra speed. The White Sox currently feature 11 pitchers, but with at least one of the five starters dropping to the bullpen for the best-of-five Division Series, the team could choose to go with only 10 hurlers. There also could be a change made amongst the utility players.
Owens, 25, has been sidelined since Aug. 10 with a sprained right ankle that landed him on the disabled list.

He can play center... he can be a pinch-runner. The Jerry Owens era might have just started in Chicago.

DumpJerry
08-27-2006, 11:06 AM
old news:
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1316354#post1316354

nedlug
08-27-2006, 11:06 AM
old news:
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1316354#post1316354

Sorry - mods, please merge/delete.

voodoochile
08-27-2006, 11:43 AM
Sorry - mods, please merge/delete.

It's news that the Sox called him up so it belongs in the Clubhouse. I'm not splitting the other thread.:tongue:

Jjav829
08-27-2006, 12:08 PM
Could this have move have been made to allow Josh Fields to be part of the playoff roster? I know they like Owens' speed, but we might be better off with Fields right-handed power on the bench come playoff time.

I just hope we get to find out what the plan is...

Malgar 12
08-27-2006, 12:41 PM
I think this puts pressure on Podsednik to start performing.

CWSpalehoseCWS
08-27-2006, 12:42 PM
He could give Pods some pressure, but Owens isn't exactly a .300 hitter either.

nedlug
08-27-2006, 01:03 PM
How's his D looking? I would think that a guy who can steal a base and generally fly around the basepaths is more valuable on a playoff roster than a guy who can hit a homerun for you. Speed is an attribute that doesn't get worse as you get promoted - it's the easiest thing to predict from level to level.

dickallen15
08-27-2006, 01:08 PM
Jerry Owens has been described as by scouts as a weaker hitting Willie Harris. He basically is the AAA version of Podsednik this year. He won't help except for his legs.

nedlug
08-27-2006, 01:41 PM
Jerry Owens has been described as by scouts as a weaker hitting Willie Harris. He basically is the AAA version of Podsednik this year. He won't help except for his legs.

But he would be a valuable base stealer, right?

My only question is - who would JO take off the playoff roster if he was added?

NDSox12
08-27-2006, 01:55 PM
I'm pretty sure this move was done to add flexibility to the playoff roster. Probably not to put Owens on it, but rather to potentially add someone who is not on the major league roster before Sep. 1. Doesn't mean it is going to happen, but at least this gives them a chance to make a change if necessary.

Crede_Fan
08-27-2006, 02:05 PM
But he would be a valuable base stealer, right?

Javier

zmz723
08-27-2006, 02:08 PM
Javier

no, he would be valuable out of the pen much like el duque

EndemicSox
08-27-2006, 02:22 PM
One would think, but a head case who buckles under pressure isn't our best option, at least I hope he isn't.

SoXPriDe33
08-27-2006, 03:14 PM
One would think, but a head case who buckles under pressure isn't our best option, at least I hope he isn't.

We just have to hope that he doesn't go 6 innings out of the bullpen.

aryzner
08-27-2006, 03:34 PM
If this is putting pressure on Pods, maybe it's working! Another bunt single for him so far today! :D:

Crede_Fan
08-27-2006, 03:47 PM

Wouldn't that still be Brandon's spot.

KyWhiSoxFan
08-27-2006, 03:59 PM

I don't know. I think Vazquez would be pretty tough for two innings. You definitely don't want them to see him a second time out of the pen, but if he could throw two innings every three or four days, he might actually prove to be useful.

zmz723
08-27-2006, 04:21 PM
:hawk:
where would he play??? :redneck

WSox597
08-27-2006, 06:37 PM

Cotts, without a doubt. You don't need a batting practice pitcher in the playoffs, and the way Cotts is pitching that's how far he's fallen.

Whatever he did last year, he has nothing this year.

DumpJerry
08-27-2006, 08:05 PM
Cotts, without a doubt. You don't need a batting practice pitcher in the playoffs, and the way Cotts is pitching that's how far he's fallen.

Whatever he did last year, he has nothing this year.
No. No. No. No. No. No. No. That would leave us with only one lefty in the 'pen.

WSox597
08-27-2006, 08:11 PM
I see what you're saying, but a lefty that's not effective is probably worse than no lefty at all.

Minnesota is widely touted as having "the best bullpen in baseball", as least by Hawk about every 3 minutes, and they have one lefty. So it can go both ways.

BNLSox
08-27-2006, 10:19 PM
Until today a lot of us would have stuck Buerhle in the pen for the playoffs providing that extra southpaw.

I think we are keeping our options open for the playoffs especially if Pods really is injured... Based on today it looks like he was just in a coma for two months.....

rickpro13
08-28-2006, 02:09 PM
How did KW put him on the 25-man roster without sending someone down? Aren't recalling a player and putting him in the DL two separate transactions?

soxinem1
08-28-2006, 02:16 PM
We just have to hope that he doesn't go 6 innings out of the bullpen.

I think we need to clinch a layoff berth first before worrying about the roster....

They should be concerned more witht the outcome of tonight's Tampa Bay/White Sox game.....

getonbckthr
08-28-2006, 02:39 PM
Could this have move have been made to allow Josh Fields to be part of the playoff roster? I know they like Owens' speed, but we might be better off with Fields right-handed power on the bench come playoff time.

I just hope we get to find out what the plan is...
I think Willie Harris and Bafia rocks will disagree with you.