PDA

View Full Version : Oz gives Twins a rally cry

Paulwny
08-27-2006, 09:07 AM
From the Sun Times:

They already have a new slogan, ready for T-shirts and banners, courtesy of Sox manager Ozzie Guillen. ''Little piranhas,'' Guillen has called the Twins with admiration. The slogan has caught on quickly. Television stations in Minneapolis already have played up the slogan, featuring an array of the deadly fish known to eat their prey alive.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-ssep27.html

PeteWard
08-27-2006, 09:15 AM
[quote=Paulwny]From the Sun Times:

They already have a new slogan, ready for T-shirts and banners, courtesy of Sox manager Ozzie Guillen. ''Little piranhas,'' Guillen has called the Twins with admiration. The slogan has caught on quickly. Television stations in Minneapolis already have played up the slogan, featuring an array of the deadly fish known to eat their prey alive.mes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-ssep27.html (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-ssep27.html)[/quote.]

Hopefully our guys --outside of Dye, Konerko and Thome,-- understand that Ozzie started all this piranha crap for thier benefit, not to simply praise the Twins.

34rancher
08-27-2006, 09:18 AM
Or that Ozzie was just being complimentary and honest in the fact that he admires their style of play. They are impressive. They have that killer instinct that I am used to seeing from last years team.

PeteWard
08-27-2006, 09:23 AM
Or that Ozzie was just being complimentary and honest in the fact that he admires their style of play. They are impressive. They have that killer instinct that I am used to seeing from last years team.

Exactly. I think he was being sincere but I am sure--given the length of his disertation-that he was trying to get a message across to his own team.

Paulwny
08-27-2006, 09:30 AM
I don't like it. This is similar to scolding a child and saying " Why can't you be more like your brother/sister." Tell the team they suck behind closed doors. This press blub make back fire on Oz.

kobo
08-27-2006, 09:33 AM
Why will this backfire on Ozzie? Right now the Twins are playing with more determination and definitley appear to be more hungry than the White Sox. Last night was great because the Sox didn't back down, but at the same time neither did the Twins. They always play the Sox hard and you have to admire the way they play the game. Don't get me wrong, I hate the Twins, but I admire them for thier hunger and the killer instinct they have when it comes to playing the White Sox.

Paulwny
08-27-2006, 09:42 AM
Why will this backfire on Ozzie? Right now the Twins are playing with more determination and definitley appear to be more hungry than the White Sox. Last night was great because the Sox didn't back down, but at the same time neither did the Twins. They always play the Sox hard and you have to admire the way they play the game. Don't get me wrong, I hate the Twins, but I admire them for thier hunger and the killer instinct they have when it comes to playing the White Sox.

I don't believe you motivate players by praising another team and stating in the press ~ "I wish we'd play that way". Let the players know how you feel behind closed doors. Don't give a team more ammunition, this is similar to Radar and his 'Winning Ugly" statement about the sox which became a huge slogan.

Hitmen77
08-27-2006, 09:55 AM
From the Sun Times:

They already have a new slogan, ready for T-shirts and banners, courtesy of Sox manager Ozzie Guillen. ''Little piranhas,'' Guillen has called the Twins with admiration. The slogan has caught on quickly. Television stations in Minneapolis already have played up the slogan, featuring an array of the deadly fish known to eat their prey alive.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-ssep27.html

The real way that Ozzie gave the Twins a rally cry is by thinking a Cotts relief appearance is a good prevention against the Vazquez 6th inning meltdown problems and by repeatedly putting Mack in CF when our big problem has been shaking pitching that falls apart after a few bloop hits.

Little piranhas my ass. If the Sox could have taken the 1st two games of this series, no one would be talking about Twins t-shirts and banners.

PeteWard
08-27-2006, 10:07 AM
The real way that Ozzie gave the Twins a rally cry is by thinking a Cotts relief appearance is a good prevention against the Vazquez 6th inning meltdown problems and by repeatedly putting Mack in CF when our big problem has been shaking pitching that falls apart after a few bloop hits.

Little piranhas my ass. If the Sox could have taken the 1st two games of this series, no one would be talking about Twins t-shirts and banners.

Touche. They had better stomp them this afternoon.

peeonwrigley
08-27-2006, 11:20 AM

This post is very wise. The White Sox lost the first 2 games of the series, the Twins did not win them.

MarySwiss
08-27-2006, 12:31 PM
Piranhas, eh? Well now, I guess the Sox will just have to break out the ol' fishing gear.

BTW, I googled "piranhas" just now, and most sources indicate that they really are not such a big deal and nowhere near as ferocious as most people think they are. In fact, they prefer to prey on the weak and injured. The Sox are neither.

batmanZoSo
08-27-2006, 12:34 PM
Yeah? Well, uh...the Sox are like wasteful North Americans who chop down forests, pollute and rob piranhas of their natural habitat. Aw snap. What's up now?!

jenmcm76
08-27-2006, 01:36 PM
I think it's cute...
<babytalk>Awww.... wook at the wittle piwannahs......pwaying with the big fish....</babytalk>

WSox597
08-27-2006, 05:44 PM
It wasn't so much the Twins beat the Sox the first two games, it was Ozzie beat the Sox the first two games.

Mack does not belong in CF. Let me say that again for the slow studies, Mack does not belong in CF. Somebody translate that to spanish so Ozzie can fully understand it.

I have nothing against Mack, he's a good utility player. I still don't know what his natural position is, I think it's third base, but I'm not sure. He doesn't belong in CF, period. Finito.

The Twins shouldn't be walking around with any kind of swagger. If it wasn't for boneheaded decisions and a blind umpire Saturday this was a Sox sweep.
Losing two of three and the Sox are exactly where they started before Friday's game. They're still in this, just keep Mack out of CF.

We need Hawk back as GM, he'd have A.J. in CF once in a while

ma-gaga
08-27-2006, 05:54 PM
The entire Ozzie quote was something like, 'Our club has a couple of big sharks. They have a bunch of piranas. They nibble and nibble and next thing you know you are down to bone and down by four runs and you say to yourself, 'how did that happen?''

It's a great quote. I didn't think it was detrimental to the W.Sox at all. It's better than the Scocia pc quotes. The standard cliche crap...

:cool:

Nellie_Fox
08-28-2006, 01:09 AM
Piranhas, eh? Well now, I guess the Sox will just have to break out the ol' fishing gear.

BTW, I googled "piranhas" just now, and most sources indicate that they really are not such a big deal and nowhere near as ferocious as most people think they are. In fact, they prefer to prey on the weak and injured. The Sox are neither.I've owned several piranhas over the years, and yes, they are a big deal. Sure, they're very efficient scavengers, but so are hyenas and lions. I had one piranha get to be nearly a foot long, and if you'd seen the action when I'd dump a couple dozen goldfish in the tank, you'd have a new respect. When he was hungry, if I moved too near the aquarium, he'd shoot over to the glass and give me a bad look.

When Ozzie said this, I immediately thought of Doug Rader and his "winning ugly" phrase.

Railsplitter
08-28-2006, 10:21 AM
Actually, the piranha is vastly overrated. It's fearsome reputation stems from Teddy Rossevelt's post-presidential trip up the Amazon. A section of the river was condoned off for a few days prior to his visit and the piranhas were have starved when the feeding frenzy took place.

NoShoesJoe
08-28-2006, 10:35 AM
I don't believe you motivate players by praising another team and stating in the press ~ "I wish we'd play that way". Let the players know how you feel behind closed doors. Don't give a team more ammunition, this is similar to Radar and his 'Winning Ugly" statement about the sox which became a huge slogan.

I think he's done exactly that since early July. Time for a change of approach. Apparently it's working.

Nellie_Fox
08-28-2006, 11:20 AM
Besides, Ozzie wasn't comparing the Twins to piranhas to say they are fierce and scary. What he said was they nibble away at you, and before long, you're dead.

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-29-2006, 06:36 AM
This is excellent.

If they sit there and revel in their new "identity", maybe they'll hit a cold streak.