PDA

View Full Version : We will still be ok..

Chi Town Sox
08-27-2006, 12:36 AM
Everyone stop worrying were 1.5 back of the wild card and 5.5 back of the central and we really haven't played great all season. We have to good of a team not to so we can get white hot any time now and take the central.

batmanZoSo
08-27-2006, 12:38 AM
http://www.untitledstates.com/images/arnold-blank-web.png
Stop whining!

Patrick134
08-27-2006, 12:39 AM
If the tigers slump goes on, this will be a 3 team race for the division, right to the end.

Lip Man 1
08-27-2006, 12:53 AM
Chi:

You may be right but the 'problem' is, that except for June, we all have been waiting for this team to play the way they are capable of and it hasn't happened yet.

Time is starting to run a tad short don't ya think?

Lip

captain54
08-27-2006, 12:55 AM
our starting pitching is worse than both of those teams right now...

that really is the key to it all. This has been a problem all year, it's not
something that just came up a few weeks ago.

batmanZoSo
08-27-2006, 12:59 AM
Chi:

You may be right but the 'problem' is, that except for June, we all have been waiting for this team to play the way they are capable of and it hasn't happened yet.

Time is starting to run a tad short don't ya think?

Lip

I just don't buy it. Buehrle, Contreras and Garcia must all be hurt or else things have to turn around dramatically in our favor. And 51-19 for the Twins. Come the **** on. And they're only a game and half up after all that.

I still believe balance will be restored to the universe. I'm Leonard Nimoy, goodnight.

HotelWhiteSox
08-27-2006, 01:03 AM
It's just so damn frustrating since Detroit is losing against a crap team and both games were there for the taking. Yes, time is running out, but A LOT can change in a month

CLR01
08-27-2006, 01:08 AM
I still believe balance will be restored to the universe.

That starts with giving Pluto back planet status. 1-2 since the little guy got demoted. :(:

IronFisk
08-27-2006, 01:48 AM
You know, it's now LATE August, and we've been telling ourselves "we are better than this" crap since May.

Sorry, I think this is the team. Better hope Det and Min start sliding on their own.

HotelWhiteSox
08-27-2006, 02:01 AM
Sorry, I think this is the team. Better hope Det and Min start sliding on their own.

Well last year was the benchmark.

2006 White Sox: 75-54
2005 White Sox: 78-47

And about this time this year, people were shaky about El Duque (BMac was getting starts), Garcia had crappy games, Garland going downhill after a great start, not a lot of confidence in some pen guys (Marte, Viz, not everyone was thrilled about Jenks after Ortiz lit him up, had a bunch of Sep callups get lit up), Pods as a leadoff man and his injuries, Crede injuries, Hermanson injury (losing a closer late in the year, he was still closing this time last year), ARow offense, any offense coming out of the DH spot, inconsistent Iguchi, etc. The playoffs is the fun time we remember, but they literally flipped the switch on at the perfect time. Unfortunately, this isn't last year, it has no bearing on this year, and going on last year's pace might even screw us since other teams are playing better.

TheKittle
08-27-2006, 02:30 AM
Well last year was the benchmark.

2006 White Sox: 75-54
2005 White Sox: 78-47

And about this time this year, people were shaky about El Duque (Fingernails on a blackboard was getting starts), Garcia had crappy games, Garland going downhill after a great start, not a lot of confidence in some pen guys (Marte, Viz, not everyone was thrilled about Jenks after Ortiz lit him up, had a bunch of Sep callups get lit up), Pods as a leadoff man and his injuries, Crede injuries, Hermanson injury (losing a closer late in the year, he was still closing this time last year), ARow offense, any offense coming out of the DH spot, inconsistent Iguchi, etc. The playoffs is the fun time we remember, but they literally flipped the switch on at the perfect time. Unfortunately, this isn't last year, it has no bearing on this year, and going on last year's pace might even screw us since other teams are playing better.

The only problem with comparing the Sox record from last year is that there isn't a team 6 or 7 games ahead of them. Last year and everything about last is OVER.

This year the team hasn't played well. Too many problems, bullpen, Pods, now starting pitching.

There are 33 games left in the season. I have seen team blow huge leads, (Angels in 95, A's the past couple seasons) so there is "some time" but the way the Sox have been playing it time maybe up, soon.

aryzner
08-27-2006, 02:35 AM
Tomorrow is a must-win game in my mind. I believe our Sox will make the playoffs!

Nellie_Fox
08-27-2006, 03:03 AM
Tomorrow is a must-win game in my mind. I believe our Sox will make the playoffs!Yesterday was "must win" because they couldn't count on winning against Santana. Today was "must win" because they had already lost the opener.

The Sox have never made the post-season two years in a row during my lifetime, and I'm pretty old.

CaptainBallz
08-27-2006, 03:09 AM
Tomorrow is a must-win game in my mind. I believe our Sox will make the playoffs!

I believe the Sox can make the playoffs. Well, it's not really a belief, it's more of a fact that the Sox CAN, technically, make the playoffs. Will they? Who knows.
It's been up to them for a while now. They showed up for a week or so during the Tx-NY-Det series, but went straight back into the gutter. All year we've been waiting for Detroit to slip. Well, they're doing it. And the Sox are nowhere to be found. We're now looking at a situation where the freakin' Twins might be in first place in two weeks.

Overall, I find no reason to think the Sox will or won't make the playoffs. They're just this shockingly annoying team to watch right now. I wouldn't be surprised if they find themselves 5.5 out of the WC in a few weeks. I also wouldn't be surprised if they overtook Detroit for the division. I just keep reminding myself that this is supposed to be fun.

russ99
08-27-2006, 09:13 AM
A win today would be huge. I see the Sox coming out fired up today. A blowout would really be nice - get the Twins back down to earth a little.

If they can beat the Twins today, the guys will be thinking much more positive on their much-needed day off, plus we then get Big Jim back. If anyone on the team needed a few days off, it's Thome.

dickallen15
08-27-2006, 09:19 AM
I keep hearing how the White Sox haven't really played well yet and once they do it will take all this season's frustration away. We are a week away from Labor Day, if they haven't played well yet how can anyone guarantee they will finish well? With the pitching at its current state, and really with how its been for a long while now, I can't see anything changing much.

nedlug
08-27-2006, 09:32 AM
I see the Sox coming out fired up today.

Every time this year I tell myself "the Sox are going to really come out fired this time," they seem to lay an egg more often than not. That's precisely why this team is so damn frustrating - they are just way too hard to figure out.

Hitmen77
08-27-2006, 09:33 AM
If the Sox win today, they'll only be 0.5 games behind the Twins and either 5.5 or 4.5 games behind the Tigers (who play the Yankees next).

With a month to go, there is certainly plenty of opportunity to make the playoffs.

PeteWard
08-27-2006, 09:34 AM
I think the odds of the Sox pitching coming together is much better than Detroit's pitching holding on. I think the big Detroit collapse is happening now and I do not think they will win the division. The problem is Minnesota. Everyone wrote them off in May. Me too. I can't believe, after where they were, that these bastards are ahead of the Sox. They are so damn resilient.

Again, if MB, JC. and FG pull it together there will be baseball in Chicago in October. If not...I do not enjoy watching baseball broadcast from domes or from the Bronx--esp. playoff baseball, and will be tuned in to the Bears and walking in the autumn woods.

CallMeNuts
08-27-2006, 09:35 AM
The Sox have never made the post-season two years in a row during my lifetime, and I'm pretty old.

That's because the Sox have NEVER made the post-season two years in a row. You can look it up. They are the only non-expansion team to have not done so.

Hitmen77
08-27-2006, 11:10 PM
Although the Twins seem to own us now, I think they're very beatable against other teams. They've lost Liriano and Radke's health/durability is in question. This next month is the Sox chance to move ahead of the Twins. If it's the Twins that we're battling for a playoff spot at the end of the season, I say the Sox need to take a 3 game lead going into the Metrodome for the last weekend of the season. That place is a disaster for us.

The Tigers also look very beatable right now. Their pitching has cooled off and some of their hot hitters (Granderson and Maggs) have cooled off. However, they still have a 5.5 game cushion over us. We need to start cutting into that lead now.

In the end it all comes back to the Sox being able to play to their potential. If they can be as good on the field as they are on paper, there is no reason why they should miss out on a playoff spot. More specially, it's put up or shutup time for our starting pitching. Buehrle's outing today was a really really good sign. Garland has been solid. We really need Jose to get back on track (maybe it'll help if fly balls to the warning track in CF are actually caught by our defense :angry: ). Garcia and Javy - now's the time for them to battle through any problems they have (either physical or mental) and grind it out for the team for these last 5 weeks.

Nellie_Fox
08-28-2006, 12:59 AM
That's because the Sox have NEVER made the post-season two years in a row. You can look it up. They are the only non-expansion team to have not done so.I was pretty sure that was the case, but it was late when I made the post and I was too tired to go look it up, so I made a statement I was absolutely sure was correct. :wink:

Myrtle72
08-28-2006, 01:00 AM
That's because the Sox have NEVER made the post-season two years in a row. You can look it up. They are the only non-expansion team to have not done so.

Well, then it looks like they're due to make the postseason two years in a row, huh?

QCIASOXFAN
08-28-2006, 02:46 AM
I personally am very happy with the spot we are in right now. After all that has happened I can only see this team going up from here. I believe that the players will look at this and view this as being unacceptable and start playing at the level they all know they are capable of. Mark pitched a great game tonight and I think all the other starters will feed off that. This is crunch time and I will take this squad over anybody! Here we come!:bandance:

chidonez
08-28-2006, 05:00 AM
Oh, the dark clouds...

http://imagesource.art.com/images/-/Peter-Carsten/Heavy-dark-clouds-foretell-a-possible-tornado-near-an-old-homestead-Photographic-Print-C10250688.jpeg

Dan H
08-28-2006, 06:46 AM
I'll feel a lot better when I see Garcia and Contreras get past the fifth inning without giving up five or six runs. Buehrle finally picked up a nice win, but I'd like to see him become much more consistent.

Face it: the series against the Twins was brutal. The Twins won two one run games in the Sox home park. Those are the type of games the Sox won last year. And to lose 7 of 9 to the Twins was inexcusable. Now the Sox have to depend on the Twins going into a slide. Tampa Bay is coming to town but Garcia is starting the first game which means the Sox will have to score seven or more.

If we see the Sox go through the whole rotation just once with quality starts, things would really look up. Jon Garland can't do it by himself.

The White Sox blew a big opportunity to truly tighten up the Central race. Avoiding a sweep for the second consecutive time by the Twins at US Cellular is little consolation.

jake5824
08-28-2006, 07:09 AM
I like our bullpen, but that starting pitching has been horrendous. if the starting pitchers can make a pact that they are going to try their best to go 6 innings giving up no more than 3 runs. i will be happy.

also freddy garcia sucks if we can get anything of value for him this offseason i think the sox should jump on it.

nedlug
08-28-2006, 10:31 AM
I like our bullpen, but that starting pitching has been horrendous. if the starting pitchers can make a pact that they are going to try their best to go 6 innings giving up no more than 3 runs. i will be happy.

Sox pitchers, unite!

RowanDye
08-28-2006, 11:49 AM
Now the Sox have to depend on the Twins going into a slide.
:rolleyes: It's a half game lead! They only have to "slide" 1 game, and we still play them 3 more times. The Sox playoff chances rest in their own hands, not in the Twins. If they don't win, they lose. Pretty simple

CaptainBallz
08-28-2006, 11:56 AM
If they don't win, they lose. Pretty simple

I don't get it.

batmanZoSo
08-28-2006, 12:05 PM
I don't get it.

http://www.paxtonphoto.com/People/Yogi%20Berra%20at%20Home.jpg
If you don't win, ya lose. That's why ya need to win.

tebman
08-28-2006, 12:15 PM
http://www.paxtonphoto.com/People/Yogi%20Berra%20at%20Home.jpg
If you don't win, ya lose. That's why ya need to win.

http://intranetblog.blogware.com/aflac.jpg

"Wakkk?"

PKalltheway
08-28-2006, 03:29 PM
Man, I'm really getting tired of all of this pessimism around here. Even though this team is underachieving, this team is STILL 76-53 with 32 games left. Do you really think Minnesota is going to keep playing .700 ball, or whatever it was, for the rest of the season? Hell no! 18-14 record the rest of the way puts us at 94 wins for the season. A hell of a year. I'll take my chances with that record. The Twins will go 93-69. It's pure speculation, but I'll take my chances. Even with the pitching staff's mediocre performance this year (with the exception of Jon Garland), this is still a damn good team.