PDA

View Full Version : Can A.J. Straighten Buehrle Out?

DickAllen72
08-27-2006, 01:23 AM
Even though Sandy Alomar Jr.has been the catcher for Mark Buehrle's last three starts, A.J. Pierzynski will start Sunday. It will be interesting to see if A.J. can pull Buehrle out of his pitching slump and get him back on track. They worked well together last season and resulted in a World series Title.

If Buerhle pitches well tomorrow, will that spell the end of the Alomar caddying for Buehrle experiment?

JB98
08-27-2006, 01:52 AM
Even though Sandy Alomar Jr.has been the catcher for Mark Buehrle's last three starts, A.J. Pierzynski will start Sunday. It will be interesting to see if A.J. can pull Buehrle out of his pitching slump and get him back on track. They worked well together last season and resulted in a World series Title.

If Buerhle pitches well tomorrow, will that spell the end of the Alomar caddying for Buehrle experiment?

Honestly, I don't think it matters who the catcher is. It is up to Mark to make his pitches. I took a lot of heat around here for defending Chris Widger when people blamed him for Buerhle's troubles. I'm not changing my story now. The execution of the pitch is more important than what pitch is called.

DickAllen72
08-27-2006, 02:14 AM
Honestly, I don't think it matters who the catcher is. It is up to Mark to make his pitches. I took a lot of heat around here for defending Chris Widger when people blamed him for Buerhle's troubles. I'm not changing my story now. The execution of the pitch is more important than what pitch is called.

I agree.

Brian26
08-27-2006, 02:18 AM
I took a lot of heat around here for defending Chris Widger when people blamed him for Buerhle's troubles. I'm not changing my story now.

Alomar, in the last three weeks, has produced more results both offensively and defensively than Widger had all year before the trade.

Grzegorz
08-27-2006, 06:40 AM
At least Buerhle has a pick off move; this should give AJ a better chance of stopping the Twins on the basepaths.

southwstchi4life
08-27-2006, 10:13 AM
Im sorry, but im sick of seeing Alomar in there. He stinks. what is he hittin bout 140 somethin. Widger could have done that.

southside rocks
08-27-2006, 10:32 AM
Don't you think the fact that AJ is catching MB today signals the end of the Alomar experiment? I do. Buehrle pitched what, five games to Sandy? And he wasn't any better in those games than he had been in the five games before.

Whatever MB's problem is, it has bleep-all to do with who is catching him.

Unless Ozzie wants to throw Man Soo Lee onto the active roster and have HIM catch MB, this should signal the end of the fantasy that changing the guy in the pads and mask will change Buehrle's game.

DickAllen72
08-27-2006, 04:33 PM
That should end any question of A.J. and Mark's ability to work together.

zmz723
08-27-2006, 04:35 PM
Widger could have done that.

:rolleyes:

CaptainBallz
08-27-2006, 04:38 PM
Wy to go, Mark. You could tell he really appreciated that standing "O".
Unfortunately, it's another win that makes me hate the last two games even more.
Hmmm, oh well. The season's far from over. Lets' just do this already, Sox.

EDIT: Oops, this is supposed to be in the postgame thread...but you get my point...

CashMan
08-27-2006, 06:09 PM
If anyone paid attention in last years spring training, Buehrle said, he just throws what the catcher puts down. He doesnt go over anything before the game. The catcher calls the pitch and puts the glove somewhere. I found this odd, but he only had one bad season(14-14) but, I thought that was because he pitched in that Japan vs US in the offseason a few years ago. I don't see why everyone is down on him, he is a horse, and consistently goes 220ip+ per season. This is just a bump in the road. He doesnt strike people out, he puts the ball in play and relies on the defense. So if the defense is bad(which it has been) ,then he isnt good.

gobears1987
08-27-2006, 06:32 PM
Im sorry, but im sick of seeing Alomar in there. He stinks. what is he hittin bout 140 somethin. Widger could have done that.:rolleyes:
Please ****. Alomar had more RBIs in 2 weeks than Widger had in over 2 months.

WSox597
08-27-2006, 08:18 PM
I don't think too many people were blasting Mark, maybe a few were, but everyone was expecting more than what he has gone this season. Maybe we're spoiled since he's been so good.

Quite a few teams would give their eye teeth to have him every 5 days. Hopefully he's corrected the problems and will be back to normal. If so, that gives us two solid pitchers, him and Garland, who's been great.

Now if Contreras can fix what's ailing him, it's all back on track. The other two pitchers seem beyond redemption. Maybe Vazquez can be a setup man like that Southtown article suggested. I hold no such hopes for Garcia.

Myrtle72
08-27-2006, 08:25 PM
He doesnt strike people out, he puts the ball in play and relies on the defense. So if the defense is bad (which it has been), then he isnt good.

Good point.