PDA

View Full Version : AL playoff scenario?

DumpJerry
08-27-2006, 01:15 AM
Ok, the Tigers have dropped something like 8 of the last 10 games and the Twins are on fire. This is what I think may happen:
Twins=AL Central title
Sox and Tigers=Wild Card fight with the Sox on top at 11:59 P.M. October 1, 2006.
Red Sox-put a fork in them. Today.

Once the Tigers fall out of First, the media frenzy will resemble that scene in Apocalypse Now where Robert Duvall leads the helicopter attack on the beach village. Keep in mind that the Kittens' roster this year is real similar to last year's and they are now showing the strains of pressure. The Twins have been in a lot of playoff runs the last few years (except last year), so they can handle the pressue.

I'm still confident we can pull it out once October rolls around.

Lip Man 1
08-27-2006, 01:20 AM
Jerry;

You may be right...you may be wrong. At this point who knows...these are the 'schizoid Sox' remember.

Chi Town Sox
08-27-2006, 01:20 AM
I'd like the central division but we wont be going to the playoffs unless our starters step up.

batmanZoSo
08-27-2006, 01:22 AM
The Twins won't make the playoffs.

captain54
08-27-2006, 01:22 AM
if the starting pitching continues the way it is the Sox will not be going to the playoffs, period...

Lip Man 1
08-27-2006, 01:31 AM
Batman:

They will if they keep playing the Sox.

Seriously that's a pretty strong statement coming from you.

The Twins are 51-19 in their last 70 games. That's a .729 winning percentage.

This isn't the 2005 Indians who went unconscious for seven weeks, these guys have been playing like this since early JUNE.

Lip

Babe The Blue Ox
08-27-2006, 01:32 AM
I think it's way too early to say what things are going to look like at the end of September re: Sox/Twins/Tigers. Cripes, the Sox are only 1.5 back of the Twins! While the Sox pitching leaves a lot to be desired, the Twins' SP has its holes, and the Tigers are not infallible.

Just thank your lucky stars that the Sox didn't follow up last year's performance with the one like the Cleveland Indians.

twins1991
08-27-2006, 01:50 AM
I'm a twins fan living in Chicago for the last ten years. I think there is a solid chance that both the Twins and Sox will over take the Tigers in the next month. Right now the Twins are the best team in the AL Central, but I still think their a year or two away from really being the best in baseball. That being said, if the Sox figure out their starting pitching I think they have the best team in baseball. Otherwise, their the same team as the 2001, 02, 03, and 04 Sox.

Lip Man 1
08-27-2006, 01:58 AM
Babe:

Which is why Sunday's game is so important.

2 1/2 back with 160 games to play is nothing.

2 1/2 back with 35 or so games left, against a team that has been playing .729 baseball for three months is something else completely.

Lip

Babe The Blue Ox
08-27-2006, 02:09 AM
Lip,

Without trying to sound cliche, baseball, for all of its stats and probabilities, is an incredibly unpredictable game. Ask yourself: how did you feel tonight when Dye came back tonight to tie the game in the bottom of the ninth? You thought the Sox were going to win, but they didn't. How did you feel last year when AJ practically tilted the Angles/Sox series in the Sox favor with the incident at first base? You thought the Sox were going to win, and they went ahead and won the whole damn thing in convincing fashion. I could go on and on about momentum twists and turns, but I think you get the jist. It ain't over 'till it's over.

These last two games were incredibly close and could have ended in the Sox favor. It's not as though the Sox were blown out, it's not as though it's September 27 instead of August 27, and it's not as though the Sox are 8 games back. There is still, as you say, a month of baseball to be played. May the best team win.

0o0o0
08-27-2006, 02:35 AM

:o: If you're right, I'll buy you a bushel of freshly picked apples.

Madvora
08-27-2006, 08:45 AM
The big, big problem here is that the last three games of the season are against the Twins... and honestly... that scares the hell out of me.

With all objectivity right now, I would say the Tigers take the division and the Twins take the wild card. I'm rooting like hell for the Sox, but it's those last three games that I can't look past. I don't think the Sox have it in them to take that huge series if the standings are close, especially since it's in Minnesota.

I'm looking for any little thing to give me hope about the Sox, but right now I see Garland and that's it.

Mots09
08-27-2006, 10:37 AM

Playing the way the Indians did in 2005, but w/ a much stronger bully.

Twins win division; Sox win wildcard.

downstairs
08-27-2006, 10:45 AM
Once the Tigers fall out of First, the media frenzy will resemble that scene in Apocalypse Now where Robert Duvall leads the helicopter attack on the beach village.

All I have to say about this 2006 White Sox season....

"Someday this war's gonna end."

downstairs
08-27-2006, 10:55 AM

The Twins are the best team in Major League Baseball since (at least) June. Better than Detroit, better than the White Sox, Yankees, Mets, everyone.

They will go to the playoffs. They may just win the whole damn thing.

DumpJerry
08-27-2006, 11:07 AM
Twins win division; Sox win wildcard.
Wild cards are not won, they are second chances.

nedlug
08-27-2006, 11:27 AM
Who gives a crap how the Sox make the playoffs? Honestly, like the Angels, Marlins, and Red Sox should somehow feel bad since they were wild card teams... give me a break.:rolleyes:

PKalltheway
08-27-2006, 09:36 PM
Batman:

They will if they keep playing the Sox.

Seriously that's a pretty strong statement coming from you.

This isn't the 2005 Indians who went unconscious for seven weeks, these guys have been playing like this since early JUNE.

Lip
The Sox are going to the playoffs. The Tigers are going to the playoffs. The Twins are NOT. A .729 winning percentage since early June? Shouldn't that give you more of a reason as to why they won't make the playoffs? That win percentage is insane, and they won't keep that up. They will blow up soon. Detroit is hitting their slow stretch right now. Of course the Sox can't rely on the Twins implosion for them to make the playoffs, but the Sox are GOOD. They'll make that final push to get them on top.

guillen4life13
08-27-2006, 09:42 PM
wow... you all are arguing and all of you have valid points, yet don't seem to see other people's points.

The twins are hot. I believe they got the bad playing out early, and they're on an extended hot streak. I do not think the Sox will make the playoffs unless they decide to catch fire. We keep referring to 2005. This is not 2005. Nothing guarantees a hot streak. I'd embrace one, but don't expect one.

doctorlecter
08-27-2006, 09:57 PM
The Twins are the best team in Major League Baseball since (at least) June. Better than Detroit, better than the White Sox, Yankees, Mets, everyone.

They will go to the playoffs. They may just win the whole damn thing.

And they are without Liriano, and are humming right along.

Hunker down
08-27-2006, 10:12 PM

I am one Sox fan who won't feel slighted if we make the playoffs as the wild card. If we're in, we're in.:gulp:

BNLSox
08-27-2006, 10:14 PM
If today's Pods and Buerhle is who we have for September I like our chances.

I really think Detroit might be the odd man out... but unfortunately my assessment and anyone else's for that matter is just a prediction based on recent trends. I guess we can all be happy that we're going to have a fun month if we can just find a way to enjoy it.

Myrtle72
08-27-2006, 10:15 PM
A .729 winning percentage since early June? Shouldn't that give you more of a reason as to why they won't make the playoffs?

I agree. They (the Twins) are going to fall soon, they're obviously not consistent. Anyway, besides Santana, they don't have great pitching, which is something they need to continue this streak they are on.

Now, the Sox on the other hand, I don't know about them. They don't have the pitching they need, either. And they're obviously proving to be inconsistent, also. Some days their offense is great, some days its completely dry. We all know what they need to change in order to make they playoffs, it's really just a matter of them pulling it off, and I'm not sure they can.

CaptainBallz
08-27-2006, 10:19 PM
I am one Sox fan who won't feel slighted if we make the playoffs as the wild card. If we're in, we're in.:gulp:

Yup.

Do I think the Sox should've run away with this division? Yes

Will it really bother me when the Sox are playing at the end of October? Nope

Do I like asking questions in a public forum then answering them myself?
You betcha.

Palehose13
08-27-2006, 10:30 PM
IMO, the wildcard will come from the central. At this point in time, I see the tigers as being the odd man out come October 1st.

areilly
08-27-2006, 10:33 PM
Sox: In playoffs

Everyone else: I don't care.

Detroit may fall off, or the Twins may fall off, or both of them may find a way to tank. But if the Sox are going to continue losing or splitting series from here on out, it's not going to matter much to me what anyone else did.

slobes
08-27-2006, 10:35 PM
IMO, the wildcard will come from the central. At this point in time, I see the tigers as being the odd man out come October 1st.

There's no doubt in my mind about the WC coming from the Central. Like the original poster said, the Red Sox are done. That leaves 2 spots for 3 teams. I, for one, think that the Twins will make it. They're catching fire at the right time, and unless they stumble, I think they'll make it. That means the last spot is up for grabs between Detroit and our Sox. If Detroit continues their little downhill slide and/or today's game was (hopefully) the start of something new for the Sox, then I think we can catch up to the Tigers. If not, my attention will turn to football when October comes.

buehrle4cy05
08-27-2006, 10:35 PM
You cannot count on the Twins to collapse at all. The Sox have to play like the Twins will continue on that .729 winning percentage.

On that note, I think the Twins do falter in September. Brad Radke is pitching with a torn labrum, and I have high doubts that he will be effective down the stretch. What they need out of Radke is innings, because if guys like Bonser and Garza can only give them 5 per game, it will tax the bullpen. Carlos Silva continues to pitch poorly, and if he falls into that 5 IP/game category, that could give Minnesota four starters who can barely reach the sixth inning. Even if Liriano comes back, I don't expect him to be as dominant as he was before the injury (see Contreras, Jose). They have a dominating bullpen, but more work means tired arms and more looks for teams against guys like Pat Nashek (sp?). Mauer and Morneau will continue to hit well the rest of the year, but Torii Hunter will not continue to hit the way he has since coming off the DL. Nick Punto also won't be facing the Sox, so he'll come back to earth.

Minnesota will still finish with 90+ wins, but I don't see them making it. If they continue to play at this .729 clip, though, then they will catch the Tigers. I just don't see that happening, though.

1951Campbell
08-27-2006, 10:41 PM
I have no rational basis for this opinion, but I still think Detroit wins the division and the Sox win the wildcard.

SOXandILLINI
08-27-2006, 10:59 PM
if liriano is not on the staff, they will not win the world series.. i personally think they won't hold up and make the playoffs, but they do play solid team baseball. gardenhire does a great job.

BadBobbyJenks
08-28-2006, 01:12 AM

Agreed, Santana with garbage after him 2-5 is not going to get it done.

Foulke You
08-28-2006, 01:39 AM
The Twins starting pitching right now isn't the greatest beyond Santana, especially without Liriano. As a previous poster pointed out, Radke's labrum is ailing and is looking very much like a pitcher headed to retirement. The fact that Gardenhire pulled him in Friday's game after 2 innings should speak volumes of their confidence level in Radke. Silva has been garbage all year and Bonser and Garza are very green. This leaves Santana to anchor the staff.

The Twins are winning with an offense that is firing on all cylinders which is getting the clutch hits at will and a bullpen that is about the best I've seen since the 2002 Angels. Even when they are getting poor starts (i.e. the Radke game on Friday) their bullpen steps in and shuts the door. If the starters continue to struggle as they have, it could tax the Twins bullpen by the time the end of September rolls around. Their offense also can't afford any letdowns if their starters aren't giving quality innings.

Given the fact that the Twins have played .730 ball and only own an 0.5 game lead with their starting staff in shambles, I'd say the Sox with their pitching health and relative underachievement in the 2nd half, have more upside for September while the Twins are peaking right now and will have to keep this insane pace to stave off the Sox or Tigers. (Remember, the Tribe played ridiculous .700 ball too and couldn't keep it up through the end of September)

The Sox have the health of their starting staff and bullpen intact and Jim Thome is on the mend. They simply need to start pitching up to their level and definitely with more consistency and they WILL get into the playoffs.

lostletters
08-28-2006, 01:36 PM
I literally see this being resolved the last week of the season, if not the last DAY of the season.

While the Twins have been playing great, alot of it has been based on Radke having a great stretch in there, and Radke is extremely questionable for the future. If Radke is out you have Santana. While Santana is great, he only pitches once every five days. I am not saying the Twins will not make it. I am just stating the Twins face challenges larger then the White Sox or the Tigers due to injury. I am not saying the Twins cannot overcome these challenges, But when two top line starting pitchers go down, it gets more and more difficult to sustain a run. Even this last series with the Sox, even though the Twins won 2 out of 3, they started to show flaws that were simply not there before Liariano went down. They are starting to give up more runs then they were before. The Twins are literally relying on scoring runs right now more then pitching. The Sox have been this way all season, but this is out of character for the the Twins.

That gets to the bullpen of the Twins, they are being used ALOT.

Detriot...well I think the problems it is facing comes from the youth of the team. Who knows what will happen to them in the end.

mjmcend
08-28-2006, 01:54 PM
I will also go on record saying that the Twins will not make the playoffs.

Other Mike
08-29-2006, 03:58 PM
Has anybody seen Detroit's September schedule? 17 home games vs 10 road games. 4 off days, and 6 series against teams out of the playoff race.

For the Sox to pass them, i think they'll need a two or three game lead on them by 9-1.

CaptainBallz
08-29-2006, 04:22 PM
Has anybody seen Detroit's September schedule? 17 home games vs 10 road games. 4 off days, and 6 series against teams out of the playoff race.

For the Sox to pass them, i think they'll need a two or three game lead on them by 9-1.

:?:

Is there a flux capacitor involved in this feat?

MarySwiss
08-29-2006, 05:39 PM
For the Sox to pass them, i think they'll need a two or three game lead on them by 9-1.[/quote=Other Mike]

[quote=CaptainBallz]:?:

Is there a flux capacitor involved in this feat?

[quote=me] :rolling: [/quote=me]

Ol' No. 2
08-29-2006, 07:22 PM
The WC will definately come from the Central. Tell me whose pitching will be strongest and I'll tell you who's going to win.

Sox: Far and away the best pitching staff on paper. On the field...not so much. If they start pitching up to their abilities, no one can touch them. If not, they're vulnerable.

Tigers: Pitching was best in baseball up until a month ago. They were also pitching way over their heads. They have a lead, which counts for something, but if they keep playing below-.500 ball, they're toast.

Twins: So many injuries, so little space. Their hot streak also included a legitamate ROY candidate pitching every 5th day. When will he be back and will he be effective? Radke also looks done. If their hopes rest on Carlos Silva and Boof Bonser...

Right now it's a total crapshoot as to which team's pitching is going to get the job done.