PDA

View Full Version : Reason For Optimism

infohawk
08-26-2006, 02:28 PM
Alright, I'm not trying to be a pollyanna, but there are some things to consider. The American League Central and the Wild Card may come down to a battle of attrition much like "Survivor." The real issue that may decide the playoff race could very well be team health and fatigue. If so, the Sox still have a shot at both the division and the wild card against the Tigers and Twins.

Liriano has been lost and Radke may not be far behind. It seems highly unlikely that the Twins could lose both Liriano and Radke and survive a pretty tough September schedule with a rotation of Santana, Silva and three rookies.

The Tigers have lost Polanco and are seeing fatigue issues in their rotation, particularly Verlander and Rogers. They are starting to sputter a bit and still have a fairly tough September ahead of them.

Just by staying healthy, the Sox have a decent opportunity to be the last team standing. I'd still like to see Mackowiak start in left and Cotts become just a mop-up guy for the rest of this year because he just doesn't have it right now.

Interestingly, if the above scenario plays out and team health and fatigue plays a big role, KW will look like a genius for building up such a solid bench.

Chicken Dinner
08-26-2006, 02:36 PM
Radke pitched last night and the Tigers lost and we still failed to pick up any ground. That's realism, not optimism.

eurotrash35
08-26-2006, 02:38 PM
It's becoming more clear that the only way to make the playoffs is IF those things all happen. This team has yet to pull their heads out and we're going to need some major help from Detroit and the Twinkies to stumble our way to October.

BeefyD
08-26-2006, 02:40 PM
Radke pitched last night and the Tigers lost and we still failed to pick up any ground. That's realism, not optimism.

Man, the truth hurts. But it cannot be put any clearer than that.

Jurr
08-26-2006, 02:44 PM
True, but good teams are going to have guys step up. See Bobby Jenks '05.

The main reason for optimism, in my opinion, is that this is going to be an entertaining finish to a crazy year. If you start with September of last year, we've seen some amazing things as Sox fans. It's going to continue this fall.

If the Sox go 20-14, which is easily attainable, they win 95 games. This may not be enough, but I do think 22-12 gets it. If you can't win at least the wild card with 97 wins, charge it to the game.

We watch baseball for entertainment. Period. Our boys won the world series last year, and that was the all time high. Now, to me, it wouldn't be as fun if the Sox would have won 115 games and lost one game in the playoffs to a second world title. This style of finish breeds excitement and passion, because there's so much uncertainty involved.

I'm psyched because we DON'T KNOW FOR CERTAIN that the Sox are going to even make the playoffs, much less repeat. It makes wins that much sweeter, and that is what is so beautiful about sports.

We are going to see some great baseball in September. We're going to bite our nails to nubs, pace the floors, throw stuff during losses, and jump around the room during those big late inning rallies.

You can't help but be fired up about this time in Sox history. Our ballclub is involved in a dogfight, and we get to root on our boys heartily for at least 34 more games. Let the chips fall where they may, but it's going to be a great ride.

That fact alone is a great reason for optimism.

markopat
08-26-2006, 02:45 PM
I'm still believing!

Bill Naharodny
08-26-2006, 02:57 PM
I guess my one reason for optimism is that every time this team looked like it was headed down the toilet, it came right back. Of course, many times it's looked like it was headed on a roll and then stopped (many times, as I've noted, Vazquez-induced).

But there have been several bad games this year followed by good ones. That's why I would not be at all surprised if the Sox beat the Twins and Santana tonight.

It just seems like that's the nature of this team this year. And I've resigned myself to the fact that it won't change. Hopefully, it's enough to play in the post-season.

SouthSoxFan
08-26-2006, 02:59 PM
I wouldn't worry about Minnesota and Detroit and how injuries might catch up with them. We're 18-22 since the All Star break. So forget about last team standing. If we keep that up that pace, we finish with 90 wins, and we might even be looking up the standings at the Angels with that.

eastchicagosoxfan
08-26-2006, 03:01 PM

The main reason for optimism, in my opinion, is that this is going to be an entertaining finish to a crazy year. If you start with September of last year, we've seen some amazing things as Sox fans. It's going to continue this fall.

If the Sox go 20-14, which is easily attainable, they win 95 games. This may not be enough, but I do think 22-12 gets it. If you can't win at least the wild card with 97 wins, charge it to the game.

We watch baseball for entertainment. Period. Our boys won the world series last year, and that was the all time high. Now, to me, it wouldn't be as fun if the Sox would have won 115 games and lost one game in the playoffs to a second world title. This style of finish breeds excitement and passion, because there's so much uncertainty involved.

I'm psyched because we DON'T KNOW FOR CERTAIN that the Sox are going to even make the playoffs, much less repeat. It makes wins that much sweeter, and that is what is so beautiful about sports.

We are going to see some great baseball in September. We're going to bite our nails to nubs, pace the floors, throw stuff during losses, and jump around the room during those big late inning rallies.

You can't help but be fired up about this time in Sox history. Our ballclub is involved in a dogfight, and we get to root on our boys heartily for at least 34 more games. Let the chips fall where they may, but it's going to be a great ride.

DAMN STRAIGHT!!! As someone once said, " Utopia....how boring! " Let's enjoy the ride. What could be sweeter than clinching a spot with a couple of days left in the season ( I'm hopeful they can clinch something Sept. 24, because I will be there ). The Sox have a chance to repeat, so let's Root, root, root for THE WHITE SOX, and see where the chips fall. I like their chances.

voodoochile
08-26-2006, 03:20 PM
DAMN STRAIGHT!!! As someone once said, " Utopia....how boring! " Let's enjoy the ride. What could be sweeter than clinching a spot with a couple of days left in the season ( I'm hopeful they can clinch something Sept. 24, because I will be there ). The Sox have a chance to repeat, so let's Root, root, root for THE WHITE SOX, and see where the chips fall. I like their chances.

I ain't quitting and I know Cheeses isn't either...:D:

MarySwiss
08-26-2006, 04:11 PM
I ain't quitting and I know Cheeses isn't either...:D:

Hey Voodoo, remember that lineup that Cheeses (I think it was Cheeses) came up with last year for that final series with Cleveland, where he had all WSIers playing? I think maybe we ought to go with that again. We all sound like we're a lot more fired up than the Sox are.

And I, for one, am getting really tired of all this "Twins are so tough" talk all over the place. Who's the defending World Series champs here anyway?

So, I am going to avoid the whole "Was it over...." Animal House quote for fear of having someone threaten my life, and go with this instead:

Santana...DEAD! Hunter...DEAD! Nathan...DEAD! And Punto (a guy I am really beginning to detest for some reason)...DEAD!

BTW, Joe Nathan lives out here in Chandler somewhere, so he'd just better knock this **** off, lest he find a deranged Sox fan chasing him through the Chandler Fashion Center parking lot with a shopping cart. :cool:

eastchicagosoxfan
08-26-2006, 04:16 PM
Hey Voodoo, remember that lineup that Cheeses (I think it was Cheeses) came up with last year for that final series with Cleveland, where he had all WSIers playing? I think maybe we ought to go with that again. We all sound like we're a lot more fired up than the Sox are.

And I, for one, am getting really tired of all this "Twins are so tough" talk all over the place. Who's the defending World Series champs here anyway?

So, I am going to avoid the whole "Was it over...." Animal House quote for fear of having someone threaten my life, and go with this instead:

Santana...DEAD! Hunter...DEAD! Nathan...DEAD! And Punto (a guy I am really beginning to detest for some reason)...DEAD!

BTW, Joe Nathan lives out here in Chandler somewhere, so he'd just better knock this **** off, lest he find a deranged Sox fan chasing him through the Chandler Fashion Center parking lot with a shopping cart. :cool:

Somehow, many fans have forgotten last season's lame, but otherwise dead on theme song. Don't Stop Believing. The guys on the field certainly haven't.

cheezheadsoxfan
08-26-2006, 05:39 PM

Have you considered motivational speaking for a career? All kidding aside, I like the points you make. Last year was great, there is no guarantee of a repeat, let's just enjoy the now. Majority of fans out there have never had an experience like we did last year. I know there are plenty of Brewers fans up here who would gladly trade places with us.

I actually lost sleep last night and then had a nightmare about the game. I need to lighten up.:tongue:

GO SOX!!!!!!

DickAllen72
08-26-2006, 06:26 PM

Actually, we lost ground.