PDA

View Full Version : Jenks in innings 8 and 9...

rainbow6
08-26-2006, 11:33 AM
With thirty-some games left, and the Sox fighting for their playoff lives, I think it's time for Ozzie to pull a Joe Torre and start inserting Jenks into games like last nights.

I understand the arguments against it, but Jenks is far and away the most reliable reliever and opportunities to make the post season can be few and far between...ride him as far as you can.

From here on out, if it's a close game in the eighth or ninth inning, inserting anyone but Jenks (or the occasional appearance by Thorton) is suicide.

Soxfanspcu11
08-26-2006, 11:35 AM
With thirty-some games left, and the Sox fighting for their playoff lives, I think it's time for Ozzie to pull a Joe Torre and start inserting Jenks into games like last nights.

I understand the arguments against it, but Jenks is far and away the most reliable reliever and opportunities to make the post season can be few and far between...ride him as far as you can.

From here on out, if it's a close game in the eighth or ninth inning, inserting anyone but Jenks (or the occasional appearance by Thorton) is suicide.

I understand what your saying, but they can't pitch that much, their arms would fall off.

0o0o0
08-26-2006, 11:37 AM

MacDougal's been light's out. He was due for a bad outing. I'll still feel alright when he's in there.

spiffie
08-26-2006, 11:39 AM

I didn't mind the 8th inning, but I was hoping to see Jenks in the 9th. Figure he can give you 2 innings, which would let us get through the heart of the order in the 10th even if we did nothing in the 9th. This game was too big to not put in your best arm in a tie game in the 9th.

voodoochile
08-26-2006, 11:41 AM
I am more concerned about the 6th. Stop using middle relievers in game situations against playoff opponents. Should have been McDougal against TorIIII.

Let Cotts and Riske start an inning but don't bring them in in game situations.

WisSoxFan
08-26-2006, 11:51 AM
[quote=voodoochile]I am more concerned about the 6th. Stop using middle relievers in game situations against playoff opponents. Should have been McDougal against TorIIII.

Amen. I think most managers fall into the trap of "I need to save this guy for the 8th and use this guy in the 6th" etc. Win the damn game by using your best pitchers when the game is on the line. The game was on the line with Hunter up in the 6th.