PDA

View Full Version : What are the chances that at least 4 starting pitchers begin to dominate?

Trav
08-26-2006, 01:08 AM
What are the chances that at least four pitchers begin to pitch like they did last year? Garland is there already but what about having four pitchers start to dominate. Is the problem too far advanced to be corrected this year?

Nellie_Fox
08-26-2006, 01:22 AM
Seriously? I'd say the chances are zero. Currently, only Garland is pitching well. To suddenly have three of the other four catch fire is a pipe dream.

Lip Man 1
08-26-2006, 02:10 AM
Agreed. After 130 games it's not going to happen no matter how much Don Cooper says otherwise.

Lip

JB98
08-26-2006, 02:24 AM
What are the chances that at least four pitchers begin to pitch like they did last year? Garland is there already but what about having four pitchers start to dominate. Is the problem too far advanced to be corrected this year?

Forget about dominating. I'd be thrilled if we could get consistency from three of our five starters. Right now, it's Garland and pray for rain.

WSox597
08-26-2006, 08:19 AM
There's an outside chance of three, Garland as mentioned is already there. Buehrle and Contreras have a shot.

The other two, no friggin' way. One's lost it, and the other one's uncoachable.

chaerulez
08-26-2006, 08:29 AM
I don't have any faith in Vazquez really at all. "Big Game" Freddy seems to only come through in "big games". Burhele and JC have a chance at becoming dominate again, but that's still a big chance. Garland is the only guy I'm starting to have faith in every time out.

Trav
08-26-2006, 08:43 AM
There's an outside chance of three, Garland as mentioned is already there. Buehrle and Contreras have a shot.

The other two, no friggin' way. One's lost it, and the other one's uncoachable.

I think I agree with this statement the most. Can the division be had with three? Assuming that the Twins and Tigers continue to play like they have. I have been waiting for the Tigers to play poorly through an extended stretch but it seems like it isn't going to happen. What are the chances of riding three dominate pitchers to the playoffs?

BeviBall!
08-26-2006, 09:28 AM
Slim to none and slim is in the security line at the O'Hare International terminal. Hopefully flying somewhere nice.

Paulwny
08-26-2006, 09:28 AM
Seriously? I'd say the chances are zero. Currently, only Garland is pitching well. To suddenly have three of the other four catch fire is a pipe dream.

Agree,
The next question, will any of them regain their form for next year ?
Coop or the starters haven't been able to correct any possible problems. I'm not optimistic about next year's pitching.

JB98
08-26-2006, 01:29 PM
I think I agree with this statement the most. Can the division be had with three? Assuming that the Twins and Tigers continue to play like they have. I have been waiting for the Tigers to play poorly through an extended stretch but it seems like it isn't going to happen. What are the chances of riding three dominate pitchers to the playoffs?

The Tigers are 5-12 in their last 17 games. This is their extended stretch of poor play right now.

Bill Naharodny
08-26-2006, 01:33 PM
Agreed. After 130 games it's not going to happen no matter how much Don Cooper says otherwise.

Lip

Coop will fix it.

Jurr
08-26-2006, 01:48 PM
You don't need them to 'dominate', per se. You want them to pitch quality baseball, coupled with good offensive performances.

There's not too many pitchers in baseball that can just go out and absolutely shut guys down every time out. To get four guys in a rotation doing that is dreaming.

We just need to have our pitchers put out better efforts, get outs, and give the offense a chance to win.

IlliniSox4Life
08-26-2006, 02:33 PM
This just got me thinking.

Assuming we make the playoffs (and we will), Jon Garland will start game 1. I mean, a lot can happen between now and then, but I said that outloud, and it just doesn't sound right.

FielderJones
08-26-2006, 03:01 PM
The adjective is dominant (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/dominant), as in, "Santana is a dominant pitcher." Dominate (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/dominate) is a verb.

SoxSpeed22
08-26-2006, 03:09 PM
That's what I don't like about baseball, too many people are due, therefore, not enough changes.

Nellie_Fox
08-26-2006, 07:44 PM
The Tigers are 5-12 in their last 17 games. This is their extended stretch of poor play right now.A few weeks ago, I said that the Tigers were unlikely to make it through the season without hitting a slump, and the Sox's season would play out based on what the Sox did when that time came.

Well, you're right, this is that time, and the Sox are not taking advantage.

Grzegorz
08-26-2006, 09:28 PM
What are the chances that at least four pitchers begin to pitch like they did last year?

I am with Nellie_Fox; zero...

jenn2080
08-26-2006, 10:13 PM
when hell freezes over!!!!!!!!!!!! i feel bad for jon. he is having a kick ass year and no one else is doing anything

Madvora
08-26-2006, 10:27 PM
I don't feel good about the Sox chances in the playoffs even if they do manage to make it in now.

The pitching is going to be like this for the rest of the year. I would have no reason to think otherwise. Taking that kind of crap into the playoffs is deadly.

The only way they could survive would be to throw McCarthy in as a #2 starter in the playoffs and that's changing a whole lot. I have no faith in anyone besides Garland right now... none at all.

I want Mags back
08-26-2006, 10:56 PM

cheezheadsoxfan
08-26-2006, 11:02 PM
Slim and none.

jongarlandlover
08-26-2006, 11:45 PM
i feel bad for jon. he is having a kick ass year and no one else is doing anything

::sigh:: poor jonny. it sucks for him, he's doing great yet no one else will pick up any slack. i feel like we're waiting for every 5th day for a win, it's getting pathetic.

jenn2080
08-27-2006, 12:58 AM
::sigh:: poor jonny. it sucks for him, he's doing great yet no one else will pick up any slack. i feel like we're waiting for every 5th day for a win, it's getting pathetic.

i honestly do not want to go to the game on wed. however the only reason i will go is because garland is pitching. nothing else.