PDA

View Full Version : New Lead-off hitter

ondafarm
08-25-2006, 09:07 PM
Pods doesn't really seem to be doing it as a lead-off hitter. Detroit seems to have reconsidered Granderson as their lead-off man, they are at least splitting his time more.

Is it time for the White Sox to consider a new lead-off hitter?

Perhaps, given his resurgence, Anderson might take over the duties?

If not this year, perhaps Rock could work on his base-stealing over the winter ball season and Anderson could take over next season?

Either way, I think Pods is likely gone next year, Sweeney make take over left from him (with Ozuna) and someone will take over the lead-off duties.

Nellie_Fox
08-25-2006, 09:13 PM
Pods doesn't really seem to be doing it as a lead-off hitter. Detroit seems to have reconsidered Granderson as their lead-off man, they are at least splitting his time more.

Perhaps, given his resurgence, Anderson might take over the duties? Shouldn't you have had a "surgence" to qualify a "resurgence?" Just asking.

Tragg
08-25-2006, 09:21 PM
No reason to put more pressure on Brian and bat him leadoff. I agree we'll probably need another one for next year.

One thing I would do...is start substituting Rob M for Pods, letting him bat leadoff, and leave Brian alone and leave Ozuna on the bench

Rob M has a .370 OBP and a 10%+ walk rate (not good really, except on this team it is)... He has more homers than Osuna, as many steals (and 80% fewer caught stealings). Guillen bats Rob M at the bottom, yet, for some reason he lets the swing at everything Osuna, who walks about 2% of the time, bat leadoff. Now Osuna's slap-hitting has found some holes this year but he's no lead-off hitter.

IlliniSox4Life
08-25-2006, 09:28 PM
Anderson is not a leadoff hitter, at least not right now. I think he could be an effective #2 sometime in his career, perhaps even a #3, but I can't see him leading off.

Anyway, Pods isn't doing a horrible job, he's just not anywhere near the leadoff hitter he was the first half of 2005.

34rancher
08-25-2006, 09:29 PM
IMHO,
I think the major difference this year in Pods is that he is not trying to bunt for a hit as much as he did last year. I think if he did that more, I think we would see a different output. Just my 2 cents..

Malgar 12
08-25-2006, 09:43 PM
IMHO,
I think the major difference this year in Pods is that he is not trying to bunt for a hit as much as he did last year. I think if he did that more, I think we would see a different output. Just my 2 cents..

It goes much deeper than that. Bunt hits are gonna raise his avg what maybe ten points. That puts him at .270 maybe. He doesn't steal. Hell he doesn't even attempt to steal and his defense has really regressed. He's had one good month (may) and other than that he's been bad.

34rancher
08-25-2006, 09:46 PM
It goes much deeper than that. Bunt hits are gonna raise his avg what maybe ten points. That puts him at .270 maybe. He doesn't steal. Hell he doesn't even attempt to steal and his defense has really regressed. He's had one good month (may) and other than that he's been bad.
Maybe, but it also gives him some more confidence, and puts more runners on base for the thumpers (with one less out)...and 10 points is still 10 points he does not have now...

A. Cavatica
08-25-2006, 09:59 PM
If we're going to replace Pods as leadoff hitter, then we're certainly going to replace him as LF, so (with the current roster) that means Ozuna or Mack in the lineup. Neither one excites me and I don't think Mack's .370 OBP is a real indication of his abilities.

What about Iguchi?

34rancher
08-25-2006, 10:30 PM
Is it possible that Pods (and team) might be better with Rock Raines coaching 1st and Harold as the bench coach?

A. Cavatica
08-25-2006, 10:39 PM
Is it possible that Pods (and team) might be better with Rock Raines coaching 1st and Harold as the bench coach?

The team would be better with Rock Raines leading off. :angry:

patbooyah
08-25-2006, 10:57 PM
Maybe, but it also gives him some more confidence, and puts more runners on base for the thumpers (with one less out)...and 10 points is still 10 points he does not have now...

i argue it would raise it more than ten points, because bunting more would draw the infield in and he'd get on base more. pods being on base more means more havoc on the basepaths and iguchi's average goes up.

the big problem? pods lost his legs. the boy can't run anymore.

russ99
08-25-2006, 11:00 PM

Gee, ya think? :angry: :angry: Raines only stole 90 bases a season once and over 800 in his career.

What the heck was up with that switch anyway? It's a bad time to second guess the coaching staff assignments, but I think it has a lot to do with the drop in team stolen bases, not only Pods.

Pods drop-off also owes a lot to the two hernia surgeries. The big question is if he can come back 100% from that and when.

Jjav829
08-25-2006, 11:07 PM
I can't see Anderson ever being a leadoff hitter.

We're just going to have to ride this thing out until the offseason and we'll see what KW can do then.

Slats
08-25-2006, 11:14 PM
I'd love to see Tadahito leading off. In 2003 he stole 42 bases (japan)

eurotrash35
08-25-2006, 11:15 PM
let's do it little league style and have JD lead off.

slobes
08-25-2006, 11:35 PM
The only other guy on the Sox that I would see leading off is maybe, and that's a big MAYBE, Iguchi. He's got good speed, good contact, and he can hit righties well (which means that he'd be able to lead off with a righty pitching, while Ozuna could lead off with a lefty pitching). Mack isn't what you're looking for in a leadoff hitter--he's deceptively slow. As for BA, I wouldn't wanna put too much pressure on him by moving him up to leadoff. Besides, I think he strikes out too much to lead off.

lizard6king6
08-25-2006, 11:37 PM
Just leave Pods there

JRIG
08-25-2006, 11:45 PM
Mack isn't what you're looking for in a leadoff hitter--he's deceptively slow.

I don't really care about Mack being slow. I just want someone who'll get on base. Pods is fast (or at least used to be) but getting on base a .270 clip since the break means he's worthless. He can't hit, can't hit for power, can't walk, can't field, and can't run.

Mackowiak should be starting in left against RHP, with Ozuna against LHP. Anderson in center every day. Pods can play the role of Willie Harris from last year. I'm fine with Mack or Ozuna leading off. Especially with our best OBP guy in Thome being out for a few days, we can't waste at bats on Pods anymore.

NoShoesJoe
08-25-2006, 11:48 PM
I say, here's my starting lineup

Anderson - CF
Iguchi - 2nd
Thome - DH
Konerko - 1st
Dye - RF
Crede - 3rd
Pierzynski - C
Mackowiak - LF (maybe platoon w/ Pods)
Uribe - SS

This should be our go to lineup. You can almost switch Anderson & Mack (lineup-wise)

Kub_Killer_15
08-26-2006, 12:04 AM
Who knows what is wrong with Pods... last year he was a HUGE part of winning the world series. He would get on steal 2nd, Gooch would hit him over to 3rd, then Paulie would drive him in to give the starting pitcher the lead which makes them relax more on the mound. This year he strikes out or hits a slow ground ball out. He just needs to relax at the plate and do what he did last year because everybody is giving up on him but I think he is a excellent lead off hitter and baserunner but just not of latley.

ondafarm
08-26-2006, 12:13 AM
Take this for what its worth, but I think a good bunter can raise his average about twenty points or more by being able to demonstrate clearly that he can and will bunt for a basehit anytime.

Pods doesn't seem to be bunting at all or trying to steal much.

getonbckthr
08-26-2006, 02:26 AM
How about same lineup everyday so we can get into a groove.

Malgar 12
08-26-2006, 07:53 AM
i argue it would raise it more than ten points, because bunting more would draw the infield in and he'd get on base more. pods being on base more means more havoc on the basepaths and iguchi's average goes up.

the big problem? pods lost his legs. the boy can't run anymore.

Well then he's not much of a threat to bunt is he. It is a vicious vicious circle.:)

chaerulez
08-26-2006, 08:28 AM

Perhaps, given his resurgence, Anderson might take over the duties?

If not this year, perhaps Rock could work on his base-stealing over the winter ball season and Anderson could take over next season?

Either way, I think Pods is likely gone next year, Sweeney make take over left from him (with Ozuna) and someone will take over the lead-off duties.

While I agree that Pods is not doing his job as a leadoff hitter (which really means he has no use for being on this team now), BA is not a leadoff hitter. He strikes out way too much and doesn't draw much walks. Speed isn't the issue here, OBP is. I'm not trying to preach moneyball but that's just the basic principle of a lead off hitter. The best offense in baseball could be the hated Yankees, and right now Damon and Jeter .372 and .411. Abreu, who sometimes bats third in the lineup has a OBP of .475 in a Yankee uniform . While Abreu's number is likely to go down, the fact that there is more than a 40 percent chance that someone will get on in the first inning is huge. However, I'd be willing to sacrifice OBP for someone with excellent speed and a bit of pop (like a Jose Reyes or Carl Crawford). That's the problem with Pods- he's too one dimensional. Being a below average fielder and a corner outfielder with little power, if he's not at least getting on base via a single or walk, he's not doing anything for the team. I don't know what the solution for a lead off hitter is for next year, but I'm sure it won't be BA.

alohafri
08-26-2006, 08:57 AM
Pods doesn't really seem to be doing it as a lead-off hitter. .

I nominate this for understatement of the year!

alohafri
08-26-2006, 09:00 AM

How is this going to help Pods, or anyone else for that matter, hit better?

kitekrazy
08-26-2006, 09:28 AM
I don't really care about Mack being slow. I just want someone who'll get on base. Pods is fast (or at least used to be) but getting on base a .270 clip since the break means he's worthless. He can't hit, can't hit for power, can't walk, can't field, and can't run.

It doesn't matter how slow they are as long as they get on base? We already have that problem when Thome and Konerko are on base.

From what I've seen of Mack, he seems to fold in clutch situations at the plate.

JRIG
08-26-2006, 10:05 AM
It doesn't matter how slow they are as long as they get on base? We already have that problem when Thome and Konerko are on base.

Thome has scored 94 runs this season. Konerko has scored 78. Dye has 82.

Pods, with all his "speed," has scored a grand total of....77.

So yes, I don't care how slow Mackowiak is. At this point of the season I just want someone who can actually get on base.

Besides, this isn't the N.L., where the pitcher makes the last out of the inning all the time. After the 1st, Mackowiak will more than likely not lead off an inning again.

The Immigrant
08-26-2006, 10:20 AM
Play Ozuna and Mackowiak in LF, based on lefty/righty matchups (guess what - those are here to stay :angry:) and have them lead off. Both are better fielders than Podsednik (yes, even Pablo - who at least has an arm) and run the bases better. Podsednik is a busted leg. He is a joke on the basepaths - I was shocked that Nathan threw to first base more than once last night. If he can't steal bases he does not belong in a major league lineup. Ty Tyner, Ty Punto and Ty Bartlett don't have power either, but they hit for average, run the bases well, and play solid defense - none of which Podsednik is doing right now.

Lip Man 1
08-26-2006, 12:27 PM
One word...ICHIRO.

Lip

Kub_Killer_15
08-26-2006, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1
One word...ICHIRO.

That would be perfect Ichiro and Gooch would probly get along to. Just put Ichiro in Left and he has a great arm too! No more noodle arm in left:wink:

Doesnt DJ have a tuf time pronouncing Ichiro? If so he would have a hard time with him on the team lol.

DickAllen72
08-26-2006, 12:47 PM
One word...ICHIRO.

Lip

Now we're talking! Ichiro in RF with Dye moving over to LF.

Too bad it won't happen...:(:

Paulwny
08-26-2006, 12:52 PM
One word...ICHIRO.

Lip

Ichiro,Way too expensive, I don't know how much it'll cost in players to tarde for him, low salary, good speed, ave glove, above ave arm, and appears to be a good hitter, he'll be the odd man out in NY next year-- Melke Cabrera

areilly
08-26-2006, 03:36 PM
One word...ICHIRO.

Lip
One word: Awesome.

Another word: Improbable.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: he's worth way too much to the Mariners for them to trade him for anything less than a McCarthy or Anderson + Freddy or Javy + One Very Serious Bat + One Very Promising Prospect type of package. He's a free agent after the 2007 season, so it's possible the M's try to ship him to a contender next summer, but the asking price would be outrageously high.

Think the Gnats wanted a lot for Soriano? Wait until next summer when the Mariners decide to fold up the tent. "Outrageous trade demands" will be redefined, I can almost guarantee it.

MarySwiss
08-26-2006, 03:47 PM
I'd love Pablo as the leadoff hitter as long as he loses that slight touch of "Willie Mays Hayes" syndrome he sometimes is guilty of. What is it with skinny, fast guys that makes them want to be power hitters?

CPditka
08-26-2006, 03:58 PM
Ichiro, if you can get him on this team, you have to do it. As far as him being too expensive, I dont think it really matters. The amount of Publicity he brings via Japan is worth is wait in gold, especially with gooch. The CWS would be the unoffical team of Japan, merchandise rights, sponsors, TV/radio the windfall is huge with Ichiro. How to aquire him is a whole differnt story.

batmanZoSo
08-26-2006, 04:01 PM
Ichiro
Iguchi
Thome
Konerko
Dye
Pierzynski
Crede
Uribe
Anderson

= :drool:

batmanZoSo
08-26-2006, 04:01 PM
I'd love Pablo as the leadoff hitter as long as he loses that slight touch of "Willie Mays Hayes" syndrome he sometimes is guilty of. What is it with skinny, fast guys that makes them want to be power hitters?

Because women in the stands remark that they're skinny.

MarySwiss
08-26-2006, 04:13 PM
Because women in the stands remark that they're skinny.

Oh, like he's not?

BadBobbyJenks
08-26-2006, 04:53 PM
Its all Pods' fault. What is this guys problem. Not getting through the 6th inning and being able to hold leads the offense gets...oh wait

Flyerball
08-26-2006, 06:05 PM
I'm all for Rob leading off. Better hitter, a more aggressive base stealer, and just the kind of guy who can jump-start an offense that has little jumping outside of J.D., Paulie, and Crede right now.

SoxEd
08-26-2006, 06:13 PM
I'd love Pablo as the leadoff hitter as long as he loses that slight touch of "Willie Mays Hayes" syndrome he sometimes is guilty of.

Shhh! Or Bafia'll be in here suggesting Wee Willie Harris as our new #1...

Tragg
08-26-2006, 07:02 PM
Pablo is an awful leadoff hitter. He can't walk, and he's a lousy base stealer...two key things a lead-off hitter must do, Pablo can't do.
His slap hits have found holes in this, his career year.
Tonight we get a bonus...Pablo at leadoff and Alomar in the lineup.

Last year we played Timo at leadoff.

Point being, I don't think Ozzie cares much about a lead-off hitter that can get on base.

Nellie_Fox
08-26-2006, 07:25 PM
Shhh! Or Bafia'll be in here suggesting Wee Willie Harris as our new #1...How many exclamation points would that suggestion rate?

soxinem1
08-27-2006, 10:06 PM
Anderson is not a leadoff hitter, at least not right now. I think he could be an effective #2 sometime in his career, perhaps even a #3, but I can't see him leading off.

Anyway, Pods isn't doing a horrible job, he's just not anywhere near the leadoff hitter he was the first half of 2005.

I agree. What major change can possibly be done now, other than a desperation trade for a guy who will not work any better.

I really don't see anyone now who is not only available at the right price, but any type of upgrade either.

This will have to wait until the end of they year, as I'm sure 3-4 major cogs of this team are going to be phased out.....

slobes
08-27-2006, 10:45 PM

Chicks dig the long ball.

ZachAL
08-27-2006, 11:10 PM
Pods had a great day today, lets cut him some slack until next game at least.

Myrtle72
08-27-2006, 11:40 PM

I completely agree.

Chips
08-28-2006, 12:37 AM

3-4 with 2 SB and he threw out a runner advancing to second. I'm still in disbelief.

Myrtle72
08-28-2006, 12:54 AM
Maybe the thought of getting Owens to replace his speed really fired him up...

Nellie_Fox
08-28-2006, 12:56 AM
3-4 with 2 SB and he threw out a runner advancing to second. I'm still in disbelief.Maybe Podsednik's best day this year. He played the way he needs to play given his skill set.

Myrtle72
08-28-2006, 01:02 AM
I think it's also important to mention that he was actually ON BASE four times even though one of them was a walk. His job is to get on base, it doesn't really matter how, and that's what he did.

DaleJRFan
08-28-2006, 01:15 AM
3-4 with 2 SB and he threw out a runner advancing to second. I'm still in disbelief.

:hawk
"Scott Podsednik is the best turn-and-throw leftfielder I've ever seen."

100 Year Itch
08-28-2006, 01:32 AM
It's no secret, love'em or hate'em.

Pods is the straw that stirs the proverbial drink for this offense.

With runners in motion, bunting and what not -- today was shades of 2005.

That's how a team goes about winning ballgames by putting pressure on the opposing defense.

Let's face it, if Ozzie is manager, the team needs to be built around scrappy players. That's why Mack is in center more often than he should be, he's more scrappy than BA.

Craig Grebeck
08-28-2006, 06:29 AM
It's no secret, love'em or hate'em.

Pods is the straw that stirs the proverbial drink for this offense.

With runners in motion, bunting and what not -- today was shades of 2005.

That's how a team goes about winning ballgames by putting pressure on the opposing defense.

Let's face it, if Ozzie is manager, the team needs to be built around scrappy players. That's why Mack is in center more often than he should be, he's more scrappy than BA.
No, he's in CF because for the first two months of the season Anderson was the worst offensive regular in baseball. This team does not need to be built around scrappy players, it is built around five pitchers and an exceptional offense.

The only thing reminiscent of 05 was the tremendous pitching.

Beautox
08-28-2006, 09:10 AM
No, he's in CF because for the first two months of the season Anderson was the worst offensive regular in baseball. This team does not need to be built around scrappy players, it is built around five pitchers and an exceptional offense.

I couldn't agree more, this team was built around pitching and defense, two qualites Podsednik doesn't possess. As of late only Mark and Jon have realized they need to start pitching qualaity baseball if we're going to make a post season push. We need someone else to step it up to take back the division/wc. Ozzie is insistent on leaving McCarthy in the BP so we will just have to wait till next year for that window to re-open.

As for Pods replacement next year, here are some people i would love to see acquired not named Ichiro.

The manor in which we would most likely acquire these players would be through trading Garcia.

Michael Bourn (http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Michael%20Bourn&pos=OF&sid=t531&t=p_pbp&pid=456422), Hes currently at AAA Scranton. Hes 23, left handed, and best of all he can actually play the OF extremely well. He made his mlb debut on June 30th and just got selected to play for Team USA. Baseball America (http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/features/04top10s/phillies.html) had the following to say about him as far as tools go(note, the article was from 2004): Best Hitter for Average, Best Strike-Zone Discipline, Fastest Baserunner & Best Defensive Outfielder. Philly already has there leadoff hitter in Rollins, and CFer/Folk Hero in Rowand. An '07 outfield of Bourn, Anderson and Dye (With Sweeney coming into the picture in '08 to play RF) excites me.

Hes not a track guy, but hes a baseball player blessed with speed, said Red Barons outfielder Bobby Scales of Michael Bourn *cough* Podsednik *cough*

(http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=466320)Chris Denorfia (http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Denorfia%20%20CF&pos=&sid=t494&t=p_pbp&pid=456121), he just got sent back down to AAA Louisville Bats(reds), to make room for Todd Hollandsworth. The reds have a log jam of OFers, and they already have their leadoff hitter in Freel. Denorfia started in CF for the AAA allstar game, can play all 3 OF positions incredibly well and is above average in CF, which would lead me to believe he could be amazing in LF. Hes their best defensive OF, and has the best strike zone discipline. Chris also has great character, hes been in their organization since 02, and has been nothing but class, from all the articles and interviews i've read about/with him. He just turned 26 on 7/15

As Someone else stated Melky Cabrera (http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=466320) hes only 22 and a switch hitter. The Yankees already have Matsui and now Abreu; so he will defiantly be the odd man out. He only has 7HR this year but power is the last tool to develop and he would be under our control for a long time.

Coco Crisp (http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=424825); hes having a down year in Boston and hes playing out of position hes not a CFer but we all saw last year how great he can be in LF, hes 26. Boston has their leadoff hitter in Youkillis with his obscene .385 OBP, and they need pitching.

100 Year Itch
08-28-2006, 09:27 AM

By asserting what you did, you're not giving Guillen the benefit of the doubt.

And I think you're generally incorrect. Last year's success was partially due to putting pressure on the opposing team's defense, forcing them to execute. When the opposition is pressured defensively you begin to see errors develop, as we did with the Twins yesterday.

This year, given Podsednik's lack of success of getting on base and the shift towards station-to-station baseball, the only pressure put on the defense is Cora waving home over half of the runners who round third base.

russ99
08-28-2006, 09:36 AM
I couldn't agree more, this team was built around pitching and defense, two qualites Podsednik doesn't possess. As of late only Mark and Jon have realized they need to start pitching qualaity baseball if we're going to make a post season push. We need someone else to step it up to take back the division/wc. Ozzie is insistent on leaving McCarthy in the BP so we will just have to wait till next year for that window to re-open.

As for Pods replacement next year, here are some people i would love to see acquired not named Ichiro.

The manor in which we would most likely acquire these players would be through trading Garcia.

Michael Bourn (http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Michael%20Bourn&pos=OF&sid=t531&t=p_pbp&pid=456422), Hes currently at AAA Scranton. Hes 23, left handed, and best of all he can actually play the OF extremely well. He made his mlb debut on June 30th and just got selected to play for Team USA. Baseball America (http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/features/04top10s/phillies.html) had the following to say about him as far as tools go(note, the article was from 2004): Best Hitter for Average, Best Strike-Zone Discipline, Fastest Baserunner & Best Defensive Outfielder. Philly already has there leadoff hitter in Rollins, and CFer/Folk Hero in Rowand. An '07 outfield of Bourn, Anderson and Dye (With Sweeney coming into the picture in '08 to play RF) excites me.

Hes not a track guy, but hes a baseball player blessed with speed, said Red Barons outfielder Bobby Scales of Michael Bourn *cough* Podsednik *cough*

(http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=466320)Chris Denorfia (http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Denorfia%20%20CF&pos=&sid=t494&t=p_pbp&pid=456121), he just got sent back down to AAA Louisville Bats(reds), to make room for Todd Hollandsworth. The reds have a log jam of OFers, and they already have their leadoff hitter in Freel. Denorfia started in CF for the AAA allstar game, can play all 3 OF positions incredibly well and is above average in CF, which would lead me to believe he could be amazing in LF. Hes their best defensive OF, and has the best strike zone discipline. Chris also has great character, hes been in their organization since 02, and has been nothing but class, from all the articles and interviews i've read about/with him. He just turned 26 on 7/15

As Someone else stated Melky Cabrera (http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=466320) hes only 22 and a switch hitter. The Yankees already have Matsui and now Abreu; so he will defiantly be the odd man out. He only has 7HR this year but power is the last tool to develop and he would be under our control for a long time.

Coco Crisp (http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=424825); hes having a down year in Boston and hes playing out of position hes not a CFer but we all saw last year how great he can be in LF, hes 26. Boston has their leadoff hitter in Youkillis with his obscene .385 OBP, and they need pitching.

You've got to be kidding me - none of those guys is half the leadoff man that Pods is. Yeah, let's ditch one of the best leadoff men (when healthy) in the AL, along with Freddy Garcia for an unproven prospect or Coco freakin' Crisp. :angry:

Cabrera's an interesting player, but no leadoff man, leading to an even bigger issue, who do you trade to get one, and how much do you overpay? I'm wondering if by listing him, that I'm sensing the typical "Fanasy Baseball" Pods disdain, since according to those BP pinheads, there HAS to be a power hitter in LF.

I certainly wouldn't trade Garcia for Crisp, and neither would I trade Pods for Crisp. If these prospects could be potential leadoff men and good bench outfielders, I'd trade a pitching prospect (not Broadway or Liotta) for one of them. If these guys are as blocked to the majors as you say (by Todd Hollandsworth?!? :rolleyes: Yeah, right), they'll come relatively cheap, and not cost nearly as much as a top-tier MLB starter.

Like him or not, I still see Pods in a Sox uniform next year. I'd like to think that an open competition with Owens (or another outfielder) in spring after a surgery-free offseason could really get him going.

lostletters
08-28-2006, 12:26 PM
Rob M. should be the leadoff guy. I actually would like Ozzie keeping Brian Anderson in for the rest of the year and substituting Pods with Rob M. Anderson has done great since the all star break, and is brilliant against left handed pitching.

Lip Man 1
08-28-2006, 12:26 PM
Given the Mariners collapse and the published reports about Ichiro's unhappiness I honestly think the Sox will see what it would take to get him for 2007.

If not Pods could still be in the mix.

Lip

Madvora
08-28-2006, 12:42 PM
Given the Mariners collapse and the published reports about Ichiro's unhappiness I honestly think the Sox will see what it would take to get him for 2007.

Lip
I haven't cared about non-Sox players since I was collecting baseball cards back in the late 80s, but this is one guy that I absoulutely love. He's the best player that I have ever seen and I would absolutely love to have the chance to see him full time.
If anyone that's worth a damn is available, then KW will give it a look and try to make it happen.

I can't tell you how happy I would be if we landed this guy.

(#51 is available too)

hawkjt
08-28-2006, 12:56 PM
Pods is a streak hitter and with 6 hits in 8 abs maybe he is getting into a good streak.

If he could get hot for the last 5 weeks- sox will play in october.

Scottzilla
08-28-2006, 01:32 PM

Lip

Just let me know when i can go out and get me a Ichiro Sox jersey!

hold2dibber
08-28-2006, 01:56 PM

Lip

If Ichiro is available, I'd imagine KW would make a push to try to reel him in. I assume it would take a package like Pods, Fields and either an MLB-ready starter (e.g., Garcia or McCarthy) or a top shelf pitching prospect (Broadway or Liotta possibly). At least. Not sure that I'd do that deal, but I'd certainly have to think about it. An outfield of Dye, Anderson and Ichiro would be the best defensive outfield in baseball, to say nothing of the impact on offense.

Domeshot17
08-28-2006, 02:34 PM
(1) I don't think Ichiro will be dealt. Ichiro is probably the most marketable baseball player in the game. From a Business Standpoint, the guy is a gold mine. He brings in enough money to pay bums like Sexson and Beltre

(2) I had said about a week ago, probably in chat, if you want a lineup just to get on early and often how about Iguchi leading off and AJ hitting 2. Then I actually looked at the stats and Pods is right on par with the rest of our teams OBP. Tadahito just above 330, so is AJ so is and so is Crede. Pods is right there with them. now, this is almost always the case, you're 345 will have the highest OBP on your team. So Paulie Dye Thome, all closer to 390 or over 400. But then the next group of guys (BA, Uribe) are horribly low (with BA's climbing). So unless you really want Mackowiak out there, and not to take away a nice season, but lets assume he is right near his career .335 mark as a starter, you arent changing much.

This basically means 2 things: Pods OBP is lower then we want it, but its not really that bad. secondly, when you take away his speed (35 stolen bases, the rest of the team combined has 38) its not really worth replacing in house right now. Pablo is 5 of 11 stolen base tries, and Rob also only has 5 SBs.

Flight #24
08-28-2006, 02:46 PM
If Ichiro is available, I'd imagine KW would make a push to try to reel him in. I assume it would take a package like Pods, Fields and either an MLB-ready starter (e.g., Garcia or McCarthy) or a top shelf pitching prospect (Broadway or Liotta possibly). At least. Not sure that I'd do that deal, but I'd certainly have to think about it. An outfield of Dye, Anderson and Ichiro would be the best defensive outfield in baseball, to say nothing of the impact on offense.

If you can do a Pods+Garcia+Fields for Ichiro deal, you make the call ASAP, try not to snicker too much on the phone, and hope like hell that it goes through. They want to trade Garcia anyway, Pods is on his way out anyway (IMO), and Ichiro >>>>>Fields, even at his age (not to mention that you don't really have a slot for Fields for 1-2 more years anyway).

assuming the pitching is solid (which right now is more of a hope than an assumption), a lineup of Ichiro-Iguchi-Thome-Konerko-Dye-Crede-AJ-Anderson-Uribe is :drool:

Tragg
08-28-2006, 02:57 PM
You've got to be kidding me - none of those guys is half the leadoff man that Pods is. Yeah, let's ditch one of the best leadoff men (when healthy) in the AL, along with Freddy Garcia for an unproven prospect or Coco freakin' Crisp. :angry:

I agree..Pods is better than most of the possibilities, including Coco Crisp...he's no upgrade at all. If we want Crisp, Garcia for Crisp would be robbery..we should get him for a AA pitcher as Boston is trying to dump him anyway.
Garcia is a nice trading chit...
Ichiro is, of course, an outstanding hitter and specifically the type it seems to me that Ozzie would like - not much patience, swing at everything, but really good at it.
I would hope we could engineer a trade without trading our best young hitters, though.

nedlug
08-28-2006, 02:57 PM
So, what will it really take to get Ichiro to the South Side? An act of God, a really stupid Seattle GM, a really unhappy superstar, and a player to be named later?

areilly
08-28-2006, 03:15 PM
So, what will it really take to get Ichiro to the South Side? An act of God, a really stupid Seattle GM, a really unhappy superstar, and a player to be named later?

Plus cash considerations.

the gooch
08-28-2006, 04:35 PM
Plus the fandeck and half of funDmentals.

caulfield12
08-28-2006, 04:41 PM
I agree..Pods is better than most of the possibilities, including Coco Crisp...he's no upgrade at all. If we want Crisp, Garcia for Crisp would be robbery..we should get him for a AA pitcher as Boston is trying to dump him anyway.
Garcia is a nice trading chit...
Ichiro is, of course, an outstanding hitter and specifically the type it seems to me that Ozzie would like - not much patience, swing at everything, but really good at it.
I would hope we could engineer a trade without trading our best young hitters, though.

How about Crisp for Buehrle?:angry: :angry: :angry:

Qdaddy
08-28-2006, 11:31 PM
Man, I hate to say it and I know I'll probably get beat up for saying it but Kenny Lofton sure would look good leading off for us right now. Does anyone else think so?? I know he was kind of a headcase and he's also very old, but he's still doing his thing with the Dodgers. The guy doesn't strikeout too much, and is known for coming up with a big 2 out hit. Oh well.....just thinking.

Or what about Ryan Freel for next year? I don't think he makes a ton of money and it seems like a good glove man too.

Any thought?

Go Sox.

Nellie_Fox
08-29-2006, 12:00 AM
How about Crisp for Buehrle?:angry: :angry: :angry::tealtutor:

Domeshot17
08-29-2006, 01:02 AM
I actually really like Ryan Freel, But I highly doubt the reds move him. His emergence is what led the Reds to trade away Willy Mo Pena and Austin Kearns. Depending on which side of Krivsky we get, The man got Bronson Arroyo for Willy Mo, then got a reliever with a dead Arm for Austin Kearns and a future stud ss.

It really is too bad Kenny couldnt have swooped in, Dealt Javy Politte and Uribe gotten Back Kearns Felipe Lopez and Freel. Kearns solves the fourth OF problem for now, and eventually rounds out an OF with Anderson and Sweeney. Lopez gives us the SS we have need and Freel could super sub like he does for the reds.

Beautox
08-29-2006, 02:40 AM

Cabrera's an interesting player, but no leadoff man, leading to an even bigger issue, who do you trade to get one, and how much do you overpay? I'm wondering if by listing him, that I'm sensing the typical "Fanasy Baseball" Pods disdain, since according to those BP pinheads, there HAS to be a power hitter in LF.

I certainly wouldn't trade Garcia for Crisp, and neither would I trade Pods for Crisp. If these prospects could be potential leadoff men and good bench outfielders, I'd trade a pitching prospect (not Broadway or Liotta) for one of them. If these guys are as blocked to the majors as you say (by Todd Hollandsworth?!? :rolleyes: Yeah, right), they'll come relatively cheap, and not cost nearly as much as a top-tier MLB starter.

Like him or not, I still see Pods in a Sox uniform next year. I'd like to think that an open competition with Owens (or another outfielder) in spring after a surgery-free offseason could really get him going.
Are you serious? lay off the Podsednik Kool-aid and in the words of Chuck D don't believe the hype. BEST LEAD OFF MAN IN THE AL :rolleyes:. No where in my statement did i say "give Podsednik and Garcia" i said give up Garcia. His fastball is no longer fast, he shows up his team mates, and he has a one year option left on his contract, oh and he only shows up for "big games" which is great when you have a "big game" but not so much any time he faces the royals or d-rays or anyone not from the North East, simply put a win is a win is a win. Podsednik wishes he could worship at the alter of "Coco freakin' Crisp".

Secondly don't paint me with a "money ball" brush because i think that Beane and his philosophy are a joke. I never said you have to have a lot of pop for a LFer, if you looked at the people i listed (Denorfia,Bourn) they're incredibly adapt at drawing a walk and have good on base skills. Face the facts Scott has lost more than a step on the base paths and in LF hes not quite Pablo bad but hes getting there, and there is a reason he was in the minors for so long.

At this point in all their respective careers and contracts and potential upside Crisp > Garcia & Podsednik, and please stop exaggerating what Garcia is; "top tier" at what? inflated ERA?

Maybe if you followed the reds or baseball in general you would know that they brought in Hollansworth because 1.) hes left handed and 2.) hes a vet 3.) hes good of the bench, and as i stated they already have their OF set, and they have their leadoff hitter in Freel.

Lastly you say you wouldn't give up Liotta, have you looked at what he has done this year? he has regressed substantially. As for Owens have you seen what he has done down at AAA? I'll assume no.

MisterB
08-29-2006, 09:44 AM
Podsednik wishes he could worship at the alter of "Coco freakin' Crisp".

And you're accusing others of Kool-Aid consumption...:rolleyes:

russ99
08-29-2006, 10:50 AM
Are you serious? lay off the Podsednik Kool-aid and in the words of Chuck D don't believe the hype. BEST LEAD OFF MAN IN THE AL :rolleyes:. No where in my statement did i say "give Podsednik and Garcia" i said give up Garcia. His fastball is no longer fast, he shows up his team mates, and he has a one year option left on his contract, oh and he only shows up for "big games" which is great when you have a "big game" but not so much any time he faces the royals or d-rays or anyone not from the North East, simply put a win is a win is a win. Podsednik wishes he could worship at the alter of "Coco freakin' Crisp".

Secondly don't paint me with a "money ball" brush because i think that Beane and his philosophy are a joke. I never said you have to have a lot of pop for a LFer, if you looked at the people i listed (Denorfia,Bourn) they're incredibly adapt at drawing a walk and have good on base skills. Face the facts Scott has lost more than a step on the base paths and in LF hes not quite Pablo bad but hes getting there, and there is a reason he was in the minors for so long.

At this point in all their respective careers and contracts and potential upside Crisp > Garcia & Podsednik, and please stop exaggerating what Garcia is; "top tier" at what? inflated ERA?

Maybe if you followed the reds or baseball in general you would know that they brought in Hollansworth because 1.) hes left handed and 2.) hes a vet 3.) hes good of the bench, and as i stated they already have their OF set, and they have their leadoff hitter in Freel.

Lastly you say you wouldn't give up Liotta, have you looked at what he has done this year? he has regressed substantially. As for Owens have you seen what he has done down at AAA? I'll assume no.

I can think of 25 other MLB teams that would love to deal with Garcia's "problems" right now. He's still a name pitcher and has a much higher trade value than any of these prospects (or Crisp) you mentioned. Maybe he's having a bad season, but his age, good track record + playoff success far outweighs a bad few months. My guess is that either Contreras or Vazquez will be the starter that is traded in the offseason.

My reading of your comments is that if someone replaces Pods, then Pods leaves the White Sox. As I said, I woudn't mind a competition, given Pods is a cheap (due to his numbers this year) Arb-eligible signing for next year. A competition would give the Sox the best starting LF, and also a good player for the bench.

Crisp's play this year is looking like the last 2 seasons in Cleveland were an aberration. Sure, he has speed and is a good fielder, but his numbers are way down from last year - maybe he can't hack playing for a real contender in a pressure situation.

If you were a "Moneyball" advocate, your argument against Pods would have been that he (and stolen bases in general) are useless. You have to agree that there's been a huge Anti-Pods bias from the beginning from the "fantasy baseball" world, which is invalid, since the Sox deal in reality.

I've liked Freel since he started playing for the Reds and I'd love the Sox to get him, or even Chone Figgins. These are the players we should be talking about to replace Pods, if the Sox do so, since they have similar value to the team as a healthy Pods. Getting prospects or Boston's castoffs won't solve anything.

And fine. Maybe I've gone a bit overboard on my support for Podsednik, given the bad season he's had, but someone has to counter the brainless "ditch-em" mentality on this board lately. I'm sure everyone would be pretty upset if he had 70 stolen bases for another team next season.

drewcifer
08-29-2006, 11:51 AM
And fine. Maybe I've gone a bit overboard on my support for Podsednik, given the bad season he's had, but someone has to counter the brainless "ditch-em" mentality on this board lately. I'm sure everyone would be pretty upset if he had 70 stolen bases for another team next season.
I think it's been pointed out here and there as to why alot of people have the "ditch-em" mentality, though.

I'll recap:

*Of #1 hitters with at least 300ABs*

-24th in the Bigs in OBP. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting?seasonType=2&type=reg&sort=onBasePct&minpa=300&split=109&season=2006&pos=all&hand=a&league=mlb&ageMin=17&ageMax=51) Bad.
-Tied for 11th in Walks. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting?seasonType=2&type=reg&sort=walks&minpa=300&split=109&season=2006&pos=all&hand=a&league=mlb&ageMin=17&ageMax=51) Not Good.
-Worst stolen base percentage (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting?split=109&league=mlb&season=2006&seasonType=2&sort=caughtStealing&type=reg&ageMin=17&ageMax=51&state=0&college=0&country=0&hand=a&pos=all) Bad.
- 26th in Batting Average. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting?seasonType=2&type=reg&sort=avg&minpa=300&split=109&season=2006&pos=all&hand=a&league=mlb&ageMin=17&ageMax=51) Bad.
-#3 in Errors among LFs (and #1 in the AL) (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/fielding?groupId=9&season=2006&seasonType=2&split=83&sortColumn=errors). Bad.

So, if you're the defending World Champs and you've got a #1 hitter who can't get on base, doesn't walk much, can't hit, gets caught 40% of the time when attempts to steal, and defensively does more to hurt than he does offensively to help... Can you see why there's a "ditch em" mentality?

You may not like it, but it's far from "mindless". And it's clearly a spot that can use some improvement. :nod:

caulfield12
08-29-2006, 12:21 PM
I actually really like Ryan Freel, But I highly doubt the reds move him. His emergence is what led the Reds to trade away Willy Mo Pena and Austin Kearns. Depending on which side of Krivsky we get, The man got Bronson Arroyo for Willy Mo, then got a reliever with a dead Arm for Austin Kearns and a future stud ss.

It really is too bad Kenny couldnt have swooped in, Dealt Javy Politte and Uribe gotten Back Kearns Felipe Lopez and Freel. Kearns solves the fourth OF problem for now, and eventually rounds out an OF with Anderson and Sweeney. Lopez gives us the SS we have need and Freel could super sub like he does for the reds.

They weren't going to give up Freel that easily.

Lopez is below-average defensively, he can steal more bases and hit for a higher average than Juan, but, overall, we're better off with Uribe because of his defense and arm.

We have players that project to be as good or better than Kearns (and healthier) in Sweeney or Fields.

Not to mention that Kearns playing LF means Lopez would have to be our leadoff hitter. It would be "okay," but not an upgrade over Pods.

Beautox
08-29-2006, 04:09 PM
I can think of 25 other MLB teams that would love to deal with Garcia's "problems" right now. He's still a name pitcher and has a much higher trade value than any of these prospects (or Crisp) you mentioned. Maybe he's having a bad season, but his age, good track record + playoff success far outweighs a bad few months. My guess is that either Contreras or Vazquez will be the starter that is traded in the offseason.

My reading of your comments is that if someone replaces Pods, then Pods leaves the White Sox. As I said, I woudn't mind a competition, given Pods is a cheap (due to his numbers this year) Arb-eligible signing for next year. A competition would give the Sox the best starting LF, and also a good player for the bench.

Crisp's play this year is looking like the last 2 seasons in Cleveland were an aberration. Sure, he has speed and is a good fielder, but his numbers are way down from last year - maybe he can't hack playing for a real contender in a pressure situation.

If you were a "Moneyball" advocate, your argument against Pods would have been that he (and stolen bases in general) are useless. You have to agree that there's been a huge Anti-Pods bias from the beginning from the "fantasy baseball" world, which is invalid, since the Sox deal in reality.

I've liked Freel since he started playing for the Reds and I'd love the Sox to get him, or even Chone Figgins. These are the players we should be talking about to replace Pods, if the Sox do so, since they have similar value to the team as a healthy Pods. Getting prospects or Boston's castoffs won't solve anything.

Name means nothing when your not producing, Hideo Nomo anyone? Crisp has far greater upside than Garcia and is cost effective, the reason Crisp has struggled this year is because he was attempting to steal 3rd base and broke his knuckle, thats a hand injury and those are hard to come back from, he also missed a huge portion of the season and he is playing out of position maybe the spotlight of Boston has something to do with it but i don't buy that.

I do agree that there is a bias in general against leadoff men who steal bases, but my disappointment in Podsednik stems from the fact that he isn't himself this year, Ozzie was recently quoted as saying "If [Scott Podsednik] struggles, we try to play Gload in left field," said Guillen, prior to Sunday's victory." from here (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060828&content_id=1633524&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws) and he isn't good in LF, he makes routine plays an adventure everytime out.

One thing i might be upset about next season is if Chris Young is a Stud, Podsednik stealing 70 bags, not so much.

chaerulez
08-29-2006, 04:18 PM
I think it's been pointed out here and there as to why alot of people have the "ditch-em" mentality, though.

I'll recap:

*Of #1 hitters with at least 300ABs*

-24th in the Bigs in OBP. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting?seasonType=2&type=reg&sort=onBasePct&minpa=300&split=109&season=2006&pos=all&hand=a&league=mlb&ageMin=17&ageMax=51) Bad.
-Tied for 11th in Walks. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting?seasonType=2&type=reg&sort=walks&minpa=300&split=109&season=2006&pos=all&hand=a&league=mlb&ageMin=17&ageMax=51) Not Good.
-Worst stolen base percentage (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting?split=109&league=mlb&season=2006&seasonType=2&sort=caughtStealing&type=reg&ageMin=17&ageMax=51&state=0&college=0&country=0&hand=a&pos=all) Bad.
- 26th in Batting Average. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting?seasonType=2&type=reg&sort=avg&minpa=300&split=109&season=2006&pos=all&hand=a&league=mlb&ageMin=17&ageMax=51) Bad.
-#3 in Errors among LFs (and #1 in the AL) (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/fielding?groupId=9&season=2006&seasonType=2&split=83&sortColumn=errors). Bad.

So, if you're the defending World Champs and you've got a #1 hitter who can't get on base, doesn't walk much, can't hit, gets caught 40% of the time when attempts to steal, and defensively does more to hurt than he does offensively to help... Can you see why there's a "ditch em" mentality?

You may not like it, but it's far from "mindless". And it's clearly a spot that can use some improvement. :nod:

This is exactly why Pods to go. What is he doing for this team? Not much.

BadBobbyJenks
08-30-2006, 12:24 AM
I love this thread...

keep hating Pods, its a joke

Gregory Pratt
08-30-2006, 01:09 AM
Pods' numbers are very much deflated by his awful start to the season.

I expect that he'll be back to form next year with whoever he's with. Given all the extra offseason rest for his balls. Well, that is, if Lisa stops having sex with him. :P

Point is, Podsednik's not someone I'm willing to give up on. If we can get Crawford, or someone like him, in a steal, go for it, but Scott is cheap, has a good history, and is a boost to any ballclub.

Craig Grebeck
08-30-2006, 07:03 AM
I love this thread...

keep hating Pods, its a joke

If you mean to say his production is a joke, then yes, I agree.

Beautox
08-30-2006, 08:00 AM

oooo burn:angry: lol

Frater Perdurabo
08-30-2006, 08:41 AM

True, but he's also had several extended slumps (as well as a couple of nice hit streaks) at other points in the season.

His season to date can generously be described as inconsistent.

Tragg
08-30-2006, 10:13 AM
How about a starting pitcher on a WS team; how about a guy who goes out there and pitches his turn. Boston would love a guy like Freddie and would do a dance if we were stupid enough to trade him for Crisp.
What is Coco Crisp good at? Mediocre OBP (whopping .317 this year), mediocre power (including 7 HRs this year), mediocre fielder. he's not defensively good enough for center field and not offensively astute enough for left.

Pods and Garcia are each better than Crisp. Plus, even if you believe that Crisp has some hidden upside, that's our consumer surplus - you should pay the price that a .317 OBP and 7 home runs deserve...a AA player.

To trade both of them for Crisp would be an outrage - that's giving Boston far more than they gave for him and AFTER Crisp had a horrible year. Same with Wilkerson from Texas (who actually has posted lead-off quality numbers in his career, in contrast to Crisp)...he's off of a terrible year, and if yoiu can get him cheap, as you should, bring him in.

BadBobbyJenks
08-30-2006, 10:54 AM

Oh you got me good.....

Please dont cheer him the rest of the way and in October

ondafarm
08-30-2006, 11:10 AM
When I started this thread my arguement had two points:

1) Pods isn't doing this year what he did last year and I don't forsee him being the kind of lead-off man we require next year either.

2) Perhaps we could home-grow a lead-off man.

Acquiring ready-made lead-off guys is expensive and not always successful. (see Kenny Lofton's Sox numbers.) The only proven lead-off type hitters in the league I know of right now are: Crawford, Figgins and Ichiro. (I don't follow the minor ((I mean National)) League.) Each of these guys would be plenty costly. Since the White Sox are almost certainly going to trade a starting pitcher over the winter, bringing one of them is possible. I still think Anderson could do the job and a lead-off center fielder is fairly conventional. It'd probably extend Anderson's useful playing career and keep him very valuable to the Sox.

Scottzilla
08-30-2006, 12:55 PM
pods has sucked this year.
but he must be doing something right.

i dont know anything about html so you'll just have to imagine a picture of his wife here. im sure you remember what she looks like

Beautox
08-30-2006, 03:38 PM
How about a starting pitcher on a WS team; how about a guy who goes out there and pitches his turn. Boston would love a guy like Freddie and would do a dance if we were stupid enough to trade him for Crisp.
What is Coco Crisp good at? Mediocre OBP (whopping .317 this year), mediocre power (including 7 HRs this year), mediocre fielder. he's not defensively good enough for center field and not offensively astute enough for left.

Pods and Garcia are each better than Crisp. Plus, even if you believe that Crisp has some hidden upside, that's our consumer surplus - you should pay the price that a .317 OBP and 7 home runs deserve...a AA player.

To trade both of them for Crisp would be an outrage - that's giving Boston far more than they gave for him and AFTER Crisp had a horrible year. Same with Wilkerson from Texas (who actually has posted lead-off quality numbers in his career, in contrast to Crisp)...he's off of a terrible year, and if yoiu can get him cheap, as you should, bring him in.

So? Vazquez is a starting pitcher for a WS team whats your point, sometimes people around here are as bad as BoSox/Yankee fans, about buying into hype about a persons name; its sad really, next you'll be telling me Josh Beckett is going to be a Cy Young award winner because he got on a hot streak that led the marlins to a WS title. Once again with regards to Crisp he missed alot of this season because of a broken knuckle.

FOR THE SECOND TIME READ THE POSTS BEFORE HAND. i said trade Garcia, not Garcia + Pods, i then went on to say "Crisp > Garcia + Pods" and has more upside. reading its fundamental :rolleyes:.

Crisp's '04 & '05 stats (http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats/mlb_individual_stats_player.jsp?playerID=424825&statType=1) > Podsednik's '04 & '05 stats (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats/mlb_individual_stats_player.jsp?playerID=325392&statType=1)

Face the facts Scott isn't a good leadoff hitter, and is a disgrace in LF.

ondafarm
08-31-2006, 02:38 PM
Since this thread has turned into a debate over who will get traded, I honestly wouldn't be shocked if the Sox traded two starting pitchers over the winter. For the simple reason that the Sox have two guys at or near ready to take their spots: McCarthy and Haeger.

I realize that Haeger stunk up the place during his one start, but he's been deadly at Charlotte and will almost certainly will be called up in September. A knuckleballer takes awhile to learn the wind characteristics of his park and Haeger may just be ready.

If this is the case, then I think Garcia and Vazquez are the goners.

EndemicSox
08-31-2006, 04:13 PM
Pods is washed up, he is going to suck hardcore next season, and each year after that due to the loss of his one weapon that seperates him from a AAA outfielder. Not much the Sox can do this year, but hope that Pods has two good months left in the tank.

samram
08-31-2006, 04:15 PM
Pods is washed up, he is going to suck hardcore next season, and each year after that due to the loss of his one weapon that seperates him from a AAA outfielder. Not much the Sox can do this year, but hope that Pods has two good months left in the tank.

You won't have to worry about Pods's effect on the Sox next season.

QCIASOXFAN
08-31-2006, 04:19 PM
I love Pods, but we need a change seriously. Everygame I watch it becomes more abundantly obvious that he is not the same guy. Put Pablo in!

Mr. White Sox
08-31-2006, 04:24 PM
I'd be happy seeing Mackowiak leading off instead of Pods (of course Ozzie would never do this, but still). He has a high OBP, he's an outstanding, instinctive baserunner, and he can steal bases as well.

I don't know why Mack PH for BA and not Pods in the 10th today; I guess Ozzie was playing the LH/RH crap. It's getting blatantly obvious that Pods is not a long term solution, and hopefully other guys within the organization (Owens anyone?) can step up and show they're capable of leading off for a major league team.

santo=dorf
08-31-2006, 10:59 PM

Actually Pods' one good month has kept him from being the worst everyday player in the AL

Month by month: AVG/OBP/SLG/K/BB
April: .233/.281/.311/11/5
May:.318/.443/.494/16/20
June: .245/.318/.362/22/11
July: .287/.330/.394/21/9
August: .217/.284/.250/21/9 AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL

Let's just have a little "shoota" fun and remove one month to make a conclusion about a player like you just did. I'll remove May and calculate his overall numbers:
.246 BA
.314 OBP
.330 SLG%
72/30 K:BB

Of course this is just for entertainment purposes. I don't need to spin the numbers to try and make my point about Podsednik like yourself.

He sucks.

wassagstdu
09-01-2006, 06:55 AM
This thread is not flattering to Sox fans. Way to show loyalty to the guy who arguably did more than any other position player to give us our first World Series Championship in four generations! It's not like he just decided to take the money and quit. He had a serious injury that compromised his greatest asset. Sox FANS should be pulling for him to come back, not pulling out stats to justify tarring and feathering him. When he does well lately, "it's about time," and when he struggles, "dump the bum NOW!" You're welcome.

BigPapaPump
09-01-2006, 07:04 AM
This thread is not flattering to Sox fans. Way to show loyalty to the guy who arguably did more than any other position player to give us our first World Series Championship in four generations! It's not like he just decided to take the money and quit. He had a serious injury that compromised his greatest asset. Sox FANS should be pulling for him to come back, not pulling out stats to justify tarring and feathering him. When he does well lately, "it's about time," and when he struggles, "dump the bum NOW!" You're welcome.

Whats your point? Last year is over and this year he sucks!

INSox56
09-01-2006, 07:51 AM

Agreed. I don't care what he did last year, he's HORRID this year. If you want another championship, I'd suggest taking a different stance because saying "oh it's ok that you suck, you helped win last year!" isn't going to get anything. Not that we can do anything about it anyway.

And what is all this talk about trading Pods....his damn contract is up at the end of the year...

ondafarm
09-01-2006, 11:21 AM

No question Pods was great last year and did contribute mightily to the 2005 World Chapionship. Given the chance I would ask for his autograph and tell him I think he did great in 2005. But the year is 2006 and he is not performing adequately as the White Sox lead-off hitter.

I really like the idea of Mack leading off or possibly Anderson (depending on lefty-righty.)

socko82
09-01-2006, 11:55 AM
Mackowiak/Ozuna should be the left field/lead off platoon the rest of the year, Anderson should stay 9th and play every day. Pods should be nothing more than a pinch runner at this point.

As for the idea that Pods is owed a spot because of what he did last year, by that logic Ozzie should still be running Cliff Polite out there in the 8th instead of McDougal.

wassagstdu
09-01-2006, 11:59 AM

No, he doesn't "suck." He is not as good as he was last year, at least not consistently. So maybe he needs to be replaced if he can't recover from his injury. That is not what I am criticizing. I think saying things like "he sucks" sucks.

I have got to admit to you that winning another championship is not as important to me as honoring the one "we" won. If what you have to do to win another one is to boo and trash the players most responsible for the last one -- and less than one season later, while the next one is still being fought for -- count me out. Fans that boo someone like Pods (or Manny Ramirez for the Red Sox) in their home park do not deserve another championship. And saying "he sucks" here is the same as booing him in his home park.

I think Pods earned the respect and loyalty of Sox fans, even if it were to cost another championship. And of course anyone who thinks Pods' performance relative to what else is available (as opposed to his own performance last year) is costing a championship is clueless.

Gregory Pratt
09-01-2006, 12:23 PM
Those people clamoring for Mackowiak to hit leadoff will be awfully disappointed if he does. He is not an everyday player and he'll be exposed for it.

Early in the year, there was a lynch mob calling for Pablo to take over Left. Once Pablo came back to Earth, it was obvious that that wasn't going to work.

I wouldn't be so quick to give up on Podsednik. I'll bet he has a great year next year, and hopefully it's with us. Don't kid yourselves: getting over his type of injury is rough, and takes awhile. Given another offseason to rest and get ready again, I'll bet he comes back to life.

(But, then again, I don't think he's been TERRIBLE for us. Not at all!)

BigPapaPump
09-01-2006, 12:29 PM
No, he doesn't "suck." He is not as good as he was last year, at least not consistently. So maybe he needs to be replaced if he can't recover from his injury. That is not what I am criticizing. I think saying things like "he sucks" sucks.

I have got to admit to you that winning another championship is not as important to me as honoring the one "we" won. If what you have to do to win another one is to boo and trash the players most responsible for the last one -- and less than one season later, while the next one is still being fought for -- count me out. Fans that boo someone like Pods (or Manny Ramirez for the Red Sox) in their home park do not deserve another championship. And saying "he sucks" here is the same as booing him in his home park.

I think Pods earned the respect and loyalty of Sox fans, even if it were to cost another championship. And of course anyone who thinks Pods' performance relative to what else is available (as opposed to his own performance last year) is costing a championship is clueless.

Once Pods is gone next year and he comes back with another team I will give him an ovation and always remember what he did for us in 2005. But not riding him for playing bad because of what he did last year is a bunch of crap. I'm glad we won last year, but I and many other Sox fans want a dynasty. Thanks Scott Podsednik for the memories, where's Carl Crawford?

INSox56
09-01-2006, 12:45 PM
Thanks Scott Podsednik for the memories, where's Carl Crawford?

He'll be around next year.... I didn't know that podsednik's injury caused him to look at third strikes or generally strike out a hell of a lot either....

SABRSox
09-01-2006, 12:47 PM
The only way we should be bringing Pods back next year is as a 4th outfielder.

I like the Ichiro idea, although it's a pipe-dream.

INSox56
09-01-2006, 12:50 PM
I like the Ichiro idea

hehe, so does every other fan in all of MLB.

Beautox
09-01-2006, 01:47 PM
Agreed. I don't care what he did last year, he's HORRID this year. If you want another championship, I'd suggest taking a different stance because saying "oh it's ok that you suck, you helped win last year!" isn't going to get anything. Not that we can do anything about it anyway.

And what is all this talk about trading Pods....his damn contract is up at the end of the year...

His contract isn't up, hes arb eligible, we can go the route of not offering him arbitration, but then we would let him walk and get literally nothing in return.

santo=dorf
09-01-2006, 05:58 PM
Those people clamoring for Mackowiak to hit leadoff will be awfully disappointed if he does. He is not an everyday player and he'll be exposed for it.

Early in the year, there was a lynch mob calling for Pablo to take over Left. Once Pablo came back to Earth, it was obvious that that wasn't going to work.

I wouldn't be so quick to give up on Podsednik. I'll bet he has a great year next year, and hopefully it's with us. Don't kid yourselves: getting over his type of injury is rough, and takes awhile. Given another offseason to rest and get ready again, I'll bet he comes back to life.

(But, then again, I don't think he's been TERRIBLE for us. Not at all!)
Not happening.:?:

What did Ditka say about those living in the past? Gregory Pratt? BadBobbyJenks? wassagstdu?

Mack against RHP (playing the righty-lefty split like ondafarm mentioned.): .320/.397/.451 in 175 at bats
Pods against RHP
.276/.352/.390 in 326 at bats

That's a big difference.
Against LHP:
Pods: .217/.282.287 in 129 at bats AWFUL!!!!!! How's that for being exposed as an everday player?
Mack: .217/.294/.217 in 45 at bats. This is why people don't want him as an everday player (I haven't seen anyone say they want Mack to face lefties)
Pablo: .327/.357/.458 in 107 at bats
BA: .216/.296/.312 in 125 at bats

According to the numbers (based on results and sample size,) the best combo of leadoff/LF for the Sox to have is a platoon of Pablo and Mack.

What's wrong with that?

http://static.flickr.com/34/121821095_d1ab2c5ac2_m.jpg

"you remember that one time, when Podsednik hit that homer off of Lidge, and Tim McCarver said 'there was no taste?'"

http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/spotlights/news/jeff_daniels.jpg

"Yeah I remember that. What about it?"

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c223/rema_1/snl21.jpg

"....So do you think some Sox fans should continue to give him a free pass, and expect him to contribute to the White Sox next year?"

Beautox
09-01-2006, 06:12 PM
lol nice santo.

Personally i want to see the sox constantly brining up young talent through their system.

Next year this who i would love to see on our roster,

Boone Logan
Sean Tracey
Both in the BP

McCarthy

Lance Broadway if he can continue to develop at his current rate(mid 07?), i might be wrong but i think hes only the 3rd member from his draft class to make it to AAA (Garza for the twins is in the bigs, and Zimmerman for the nats) in the rotation.

Charlie Haeger, yes i know hes a knuckle baller, but the white sox have a proud tradition of knuckle ballers, and AJ has even said catching his Knuckler is no different than Catching Jose's fork. Also he couldn't be any worse than the majority of our staff this year.

In the rotation.

Sweeney in LF/RF possibly moving Dye to LF
Stewart as the back up.

Keep Fields down at AAA to work on his plate discipline(hes gotta cut down on those Ks).

ondafarm
09-07-2006, 12:25 AM
While Ozuna may be decent lead-off hitter against lefties (I consider that an open question) he does have the speed and the 'do anything to get on base' attitude.

Mack on the other hand, doesn't have serious stolen-base credentials or speed. He goes on good opportunities and succeeds but not often enough to really be disruptive to the opposition. I don't recall him bunting and I have doubts about him being anything more than a great utility guy.

I really think the Sox want Anderson to work on those skills in winter ball. If he could learn to bunt, he could be a .300 hitter, if he can work on taking walks a bit and learn to steal 20-25 bases a year, he could be a very valuable lead-off hitter, which is the one things the White Sox need with all the power currently in the lineup.

wassagstdu
09-07-2006, 06:47 AM
What did Ditka say about those living in the past? The people who showed up for the parade last fall were "living in the past." Not treating like crap the players who gave us that championship to brag about is not "living in the past."

Nobody gets a lifetime lock on his position, and if their performance drops off they need to be replaced. But with a little respect please. Or do you think the way Fisk was treated by management was a model for how fans should treat Podsednik?

Frater Perdurabo
09-07-2006, 08:19 AM
I really think the Sox want Anderson to work on those skills in winter ball. If he could learn to bunt, he could be a .300 hitter, if he can work on taking walks a bit and learn to steal 20-25 bases a year, he could be a very valuable lead-off hitter, which is the one things the White Sox need with all the power currently in the lineup.

I really like the idea of Anderson working on bunting for hits (and sacrifices, too), working walks (which he already seems to be able to do to an extent) and stealing bases in winter ball. What remains to be seen, though, is will Ozzie play him every day or inexplicably and stupidly put him an a platoon situation again.

If Anderson can lead off, it opens up a slot in left for Sweeney, who could be groomed in a low-pressure situation as the #9 hitter. Finally, I'd like to see the Sox get Omar Vizquel to bat #2, which would allow Iguchi to bat lower in the order.

ondafarm
09-07-2006, 08:52 AM
I really like the idea of Anderson working on bunting for hits (and sacrifices, too), working walks (which he already seems to be able to do to an extent) and stealing bases in winter ball. What remains to be seen, though, is will Ozzie play him every day or inexplicably and stupidly put him an a platoon situation again.

If Anderson can lead off, it opens up a slot in left for Sweeney, who could be groomed in a low-pressure situation as the #9 hitter. Finally, I'd like to see the Sox get Omar Vizquel to bat #2, which would allow Iguchi to bat lower in the order.

If Anderson is leading off next year and performing well in that role (.300+ AVG, .400+ OBP, a few SBs) then I think that Ozzie would be accussed of overplaying him (like Pods this year.)

Agree on Sweeney.

I see Vizquel alot both on TV and when I visit Pac-Bell. I'm not sure I'd prefer him to Iguchi. With a solid OBP guy leading off, then I think the Iguchi of 2005 would return.

Frater Perdurabo
09-07-2006, 08:54 AM
I see Vizquel alot both on TV and when I visit Pac-Bell. I'm not sure I'd prefer him to Iguchi. With a solid OBP guy leading off, then I think the Iguchi of 2005 would return.

Perhaps a 1-2 of Anderson (if he could generate a .400 OBP) and Vizquel (who routinely puts up a .400 OBP) would allow Dye, Thome and PK to rake in RBI by the bushel basket.

ondafarm
09-07-2006, 09:00 AM
With Dye, Thome and Konerko batting it is a shame that we do not have (this year) a decent lead-off hitter and a good #2 man. I believe Iguchi is still capable of that role although other players also would be. It's a shame the 2006 Sox lose 1-0 games because those are the ones a good lead-off hitter really helps you win. He'll manufacture those tough runs.

IMO, we have the best 3-4-5 punch of anybody in the league.

Nellie_Fox
09-07-2006, 10:52 AM
If Anderson is leading off next year and performing well in that role (.300+ AVG, .400+ OBP, a few SBs) then I think that Ozzie would be accused of overplaying him (like Pods this year.)Podsednik is hitting .300+ and has a .400+ OBP? Wow, I missed the memo.

Madvora
09-07-2006, 10:56 AM
What would we lose with Cintron leading off?

Cintron - SS
Iguchi - 2B
Dye - RF
Konerko - 1B
Thome - DH
Crede - 3B
Pierzynski - C
Anderson - CF
Sweeney - LF

SCarolina_Ron
09-07-2006, 11:07 AM
What would we lose with Cintron leading off?

Cintron - SS
Iguchi - 2B
Dye - RF
Konerko - 1B
Thome - DH
Crede - 3B
Pierzynski - C
Anderson - CF
Sweeney - LF

Speed and baseball games

Madvora
09-07-2006, 11:39 AM
Speed and baseball games
Zing!

Speed, is overrated when it comes to lead off hitters. Of course you don't want a super slow guy like Konerko in that spot, but you want a guy who can get on base. Cintron can and he's not slow either.

Remember Wade Boggs leading off for the AL All-Star team?

Right now I think Cintron would be the best choice, unless Sweeney can get the job done. Either way we all know an alternate to Podsednik is being looked at.

ondafarm
09-10-2006, 04:13 PM
Podsednik is hitting .300+ and has a .400+ OBP? Wow, I missed the memo.

No. Those are my numbers for a good lead-off man.