PDA

View Full Version : Detroiter's View of Mags

comet2k
08-25-2006, 02:16 PM
This is from a column by Lynn Henning in the Detroit News today about what the Tigers need to do for 2007:

Q . Who gets traded?
A . The Tigers will part with some of their organizational pitching depth. They will no doubt include Omar Infante (somewhere there is a team that won't mind giving him 500 at-bats). They will swing a multi-player deal for a big bat that must be added to the middle of their lineup.
Q . Wasn't that supposed to have been Ordonez?
A . It still could be. The Ordonez situation is impossible to explain. He says his right knee is fine, but if the knee is fine, he should be hitting for something approximating his old power. He is not. When a man is only 32 and still in his prime, he should not be having trouble driving the baseball. Yet that's something Ordonez rarely does. It has to be the knee.
Q . What good will he be as a right fielder, or as a DH, if he can't hit for power?
A . The Tigers will no doubt put Ordonez on a carefully monitored offseason program. They will hope the knee strengthens, his overall muscle is toned and a fence-rattling Ordonez returns in 2007. They have no choice but to hold such hope. They will be paying him $45 million the next three seasons.

I though Mags was doing pretty well, but I guess when you pay a guy that much he's expected to hit more than 17 home runs. He is hitting .294 with 26 doubles and 82 RBIs, so his numbers are down this year from what he consistently did for the Sox.

DaleJRFan
08-25-2006, 02:18 PM
Maggs is a gap hitter. Why they are expecting him to be Thome-like in the HR catagory is beyond me. As long as he is knocking in runs and keeps the BA and OBP up, who cares how many HR he hits??

Kuzman
08-25-2006, 02:22 PM
I wonder how much that park is affecting his HR total's too. Definatly not The Cell. Even though Crede and Dye sure acted like it this week.

Iwritecode
08-25-2006, 02:32 PM
Maggs is a gap hitter. Why they are expecting him to be Thome-like in the HR catagory is beyond me. As long as he is knocking in runs and keeps the BA and OBP up, who cares how many HR he hits??

Actually, his BA and OBP are down a bit from his career norms. Plus you used to be able to pencil him in for about 30 homeruns and 100+ RBIs. He's not likely to hit those #'s this year. He's also on pace for a career high in K's and isn't walking much.

I guess when you pay a guy 15 million a year, you expect a little more...

comet2k
08-25-2006, 02:36 PM
I wonder how much that park is affecting his HR total's too. Definatly not The Cell. Even though Crede and Dye sure acted like it this week.

That could be part of the reason, but he has one HR in about the last 50 games, and the Detroit papers are questioning the health of his knee and overall strerngth. I'm a Mags fan, so I wish him the best -- except against the Sox -- but it may be that he'll never be what he used to be.

Iwritecode
08-25-2006, 02:36 PM

I think it's a big part of it. When he was on the Sox he was a better power hitter at home. This year he only has 6 at home and 11 on the road.

Foulke You
08-25-2006, 02:43 PM
I think it's a big part of it. When he was on the Sox he was a better power hitter at home. This year he only has 6 at home and 11 on the road.
Comerica certainly has to be factored in when weighing the HR total of Maggs. They moved the fences in a couple years ago but only in the corners. Maggs has been mostly a gap hitter in his career which is still as big as the Grand Canyon at Comerica.

I think the knee is having the largest effect on Magglio's speed. He looks like he has lost a step in the field and on the basepaths but still appears to be dangerous at the plate.

We all said it here that the Tigers took a huge risk in signing Magglio to that kind of money after a huge injury like he had. As a previous poster pointed out, it is quite possible Magglio will never be the same player he was on the White Sox.

DaleJRFan
08-25-2006, 02:46 PM
Actually, his BA and OBP are down a bit from his career norms. Plus you used to be able to pencil him in for about 30 homeruns and 100+ RBIs. He's not likely to hit those #'s this year. He's also on pace for a career high in K's and isn't walking much.

Meanwhile, Jermaine Dye is having an MVP quality season. Boohoo, Magg$... :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

:redneck

Baby Fisk
08-25-2006, 02:49 PM
I think the knee is having the largest effect on Magglio's speed. He looks like he has lost a step in the field and on the basepaths but still appears to be dangerous at the plate.

Actually, the biggest drag on Magglio's speed this season has been his crazyass hair. That anti-aero mullet is like a parachute on a drag racer. :redneck

maurice
08-25-2006, 02:51 PM
I guess that, when you're paying your RF the GDP of a small country, you expect more than 1 HR in 148 ABs since the ASB. His rate stats during that time: .257 AVE, .297 OBP, .358 SLG, .656 OPS.

His pre-ASB numbers were similar to his career numbers.

Iwritecode
08-25-2006, 02:58 PM
I guess that, when you're paying your RF the GDP of a small country, you expect more than 1 HR in 148 ABs since the ASB. His rate stats during that time: .257 AVE, .297 OBP, .358 SLG, .656 OPS.

His pre-ASB numbers were similar to his career numbers.

This year is the most games he's played in since before he got hurt. I'm wondering if the knee just isn't holding up like it should be...

TheOldRoman
08-25-2006, 02:59 PM

BINGO! And therein lies the problem. He was grossly overpaid. He got a Vlad Guerrero contract, but he isn't even in the same neighborhood as Vlad Guerrero. Hell, if Ordonez was healthy, he probably wouldn't have gotten 5 years, $75 million from any other team but the Tigers. Detroit was a baseball toilet back then, and while it remains a civic toilet, the team is good. Nobody wanted to play there, so they had to offer Ordonez a buttload more money than anybody else. They KNEW they were paying him way more than he was worth, that is they only way they could get him. They should have no gripes now that he isn't producing like Guerrero.

Nellie_Fox
08-25-2006, 03:21 PM
That anti-aero mullet is like a parachute on a drag racer. :redneckFunny line, but it's not a mullet. It's long on the sides, too. It's really more of a Bozo the Clown look.

Baby Fisk
08-25-2006, 03:25 PM
Funny line, but it's not a mullet. It's long on the sides, too. It's really more of a Bozo the Clown look.
It's not a full-blown afro either. Something in between. Nasty looking**, whatever it is.

**"Nasty" in the bad sense of the word, not the "urban cool" sense of the word.

spawn
08-25-2006, 03:31 PM
Comerica certainly has to be factored in when weighing the HR total of Maggs. They moved the fences in a couple years ago but only in the corners. Maggs has been mostly a gap hitter in his career which is still as big as the Grand Canyon at Comerica.

We all said it here that the Tigers took a huge risk in signing Magglio to that kind of money after a huge injury like he had. As a previous poster pointed out, it is quite possible Magglio will never be the same player he was on the White Sox.
I don't think Comerica can be used as an excuse for the decline in his homeruns. Brandon Inge, Craig Monroe, and Marcus Thames each have over 20 homers. I gurantee when Detroit signed him, they were expecting to get his 30+ homers and 100 rbi's. Hell, his average has even dropped below .300. His numbers don't equate to 15 mil a year.

MarySwiss
08-25-2006, 03:37 PM
It's not a full-blown afro either. Something in between. Nasty looking**, whatever it is.

It always makes me think of Carla Tortelli in "Cheers."

Baby Fisk
08-25-2006, 03:40 PM
It always makes me think of Carla Tortelli in "Cheers."
LOL! :rolling:

dickallen15
08-25-2006, 03:42 PM
I think missing a lot of time the past 2 seasons now have Maggs fatiqued. I wonder what his hair would look like without the hat on and without the gel he throws on top. I was in RF for one of the games at Comerica, and it certainly seemed to me Maggs isn't the most popular Tiger.

Steelrod
08-25-2006, 04:08 PM
Looks like Maggs has dropped 20-25 pounds, plus or minus his hair. No wonder his power numbers are down. Maybe he did it to take pressure off his knee, or another reason. And to think because of him leaving, were stuck with Jermaine Dye! lol

ondafarm
08-25-2006, 07:27 PM
When the Tigers signed Maggs I thought they hideously overpaid.

Although he was a pretty solid 30 hr and 100 rbi guy with the Sox, you almost never totally come back from that kind of knee surgery. I had a very similar surgery on my left knee and I've never had the same power left-handed since. (Not that I had much power to begin with.)

Most everything other people are saying here about Comerica reducing his power numbers are true.

Maggs is not a particularly huge guy, he really had to use technique to hit with power. Aging reduces that kind of power.

Oblong
08-25-2006, 09:23 PM
The contract's not an issue for me. As soon as he signed it I knew it was too much but that's waht they had to do to get him here. I don't worry about wha they make. I also didn't expect 30 HR. Looking at his history he was always right around the 30 mark and I figured Comerica's alleys would shave that down, at best, to around 25. I just want a solid bat and gap power. If that happens the then HR, RBI, and runs will take care of themselves. In theory obviously.

He should be the DH. Playing out there is taking it's toll. especially in that OF. RF has the tricky area near the scoreboard in right center and LF and Left center are cavernous. You almost need 2 centerfielders.

Last off season he worked out with the Miami Hurricanes in the off season. He said recently he needs to get stronger.

Did you know his contract has a plate appearance clause? I think if he gets something like 550 in year 5 it kicks in for 2 more years.

I have this suspicion he ends his career back in Chicago.

Mercy!
08-26-2006, 03:07 AM
Funny line, but it's not a mullet. It's long on the sides, too. It's really more of a Bozo the Clown look. Bingo! That's what I say out loud everytime I see him in the field. Bozo! Now if he'd only die his hair orange. When he has his batting helmet crushing down one side of his Bozo-do, however, the effect is lost.

Scottiehaswheels
08-26-2006, 03:21 AM
I have this suspicion he ends his career back in Chicago.Only way that happens is if Ozzie quits or gets fired... no way in hell will Ozzie let KW bring him back while he is in charge... Unless you meant in Chicago for that other team

BigPapaPump
08-26-2006, 09:36 AM
Funny line, but it's not a mullet. It's long on the sides, too. It's really more of a Bozo the Clown look.

I was thinking more a Cookie the Clown.

http://www.newprophecy.net/Cooky_the_Clown.jpg

batmanZoSo
08-26-2006, 03:35 PM

How come he never grew out that funky hair cut when he was with us? I feel like we got gypped.

soxinem1
08-28-2006, 05:11 PM
Actually, the biggest drag on Magglio's speed this season has been his crazyass hair. That anti-aero mullet is like a parachute on a drag racer. :redneck

I actually thought he was auditioning for a Bob Marley band reunion!!!!

Mercy!
08-28-2006, 05:38 PM
So I guess we can all agree with Baby Fisk that Mags has grown himself some crazyass hair.

When one has crazyass hair, is it a given that one engages in crazy acts?