PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to Cito Gaston?

Fenway
08-25-2006, 10:47 AM
I have always found it amazing no team has hired him, he did win 2 World Series titles

One of the great 20th-century philosophers, maybe James Thurber, once said that there are three things the average American male thinks he can do better than anyone else: Build a fire, run a hotel and manage a baseball team

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1156456211685&call_pageid=968867503640&col=970081593064

PalehosePlanet
08-25-2006, 10:56 AM
He was one of the finalists -- supposedly anyway -- for our opening before Guillen was hired. I haven't heard his name in any hiring rumors lately though.

Foulke You
08-25-2006, 11:21 AM
He was one of the finalists -- supposedly anyway -- for our opening before Guillen was hired. I haven't heard his name in any hiring rumors lately though.
I heard KW actually had actually pretty much made the decision to hire Gaston before he interviewed Ozzie. KW interviewed Ozzie at Reinsdorf's request and was blown away by the interview. It also didn't hurt that Gaston wanted considerable more money than Ozzie did but the jist of it was that KW and Ozzie hit it off right away.

I remember many on this board were lukewarm on Cito Gaston's possible hiring simply because his managing style was very similar to the laid back Jerry Manuel. One of the critiques of the 2003 team was a lack of fire that cost them the division title to the Twins. Ozzie certainly was the polar opposite of Gaston and Manuel which is one of the reasons I believe he was hired.

It is surprising how a manager with 2 World Series rings hasn't managed in 10 years.

DumpJerry
08-25-2006, 04:40 PM
Gaston is from the mold that made Baker. We had/have no use for him.

vegyrex
08-26-2006, 09:16 AM
I remember many on this board were lukewarm on Cito Gaston's possible hiring simply because his managing style was very similar to the laid back Jerry Manuel.
I sure wasn't look warm. I was one of Gaston's cheerleaders here.

I didn't want Ozzie. I thought we needed a guy who not only had been to the series, but won the darn thing. In Gaston's case he did it back to back.

After the '04 season I thought Ozzie was the best choice and I was wrong in not wanting him here.

Now I think Oz is the best manager the Sox have had in decades.

ewokpelts
08-26-2006, 12:59 PM
Now I think Oz is the best manager the Sox have had in decades.
and the craziest

Brian26
08-27-2006, 12:01 AM
Gaston is from the mold that made Baker. We had/have no use for him.

Can he coach third base? :D:

daveeym
08-27-2006, 04:53 PM
and the craziest Dude, i think I saw your dad getting on the el at montrose yesterday and probably a friend of yours getting off and going to meet you at your dad's store. Grey haired elderly gentleman wearing a Topps hat?

Oh and I have a feeling Gaston hasn't managed because he doesn't want to. Probably asks for a ton of money thinking they'll either turn him down or if they agree, hey they're paying me a ton.

TheKittle
08-29-2006, 01:55 AM
Dude, i think I saw your dad getting on the el at montrose yesterday and probably a friend of yours getting off and going to meet you at your dad's store. Grey haired elderly gentleman wearing a Topps hat?

Oh and I have a feeling Gaston hasn't managed because he doesn't want to. Probably asks for a ton of money thinking they'll either turn him down or if they agree, hey they're paying me a ton.

Where are you getting this info or is this just a guess?

The fact that Gaston is black sure doesn't have anything to do with him not being hired as manager.

davenicholson
08-29-2006, 07:30 AM
The fact that Gaston is black sure doesn't have anything to do with him not being hired as manager.

:DJ

Uh-oh

EastCoastSoxFan
08-29-2006, 08:40 AM
II remember many on this board were lukewarm on Cito Gaston's possible hiring simply because his managing style was very similar to the laid back Jerry Manuel.The best quote I heard on that subject was that Gaston was so laid-back he made Jerry Manuel look like Gilbert Gottfried.
:wired:

ewokpelts
08-29-2006, 09:08 AM
Dude, i think I saw your dad getting on the el at montrose yesterday and probably a friend of yours getting off and going to meet you at your dad's store. Grey haired elderly gentleman wearing a Topps hat?

my step dad has a card store at montrose and damen, so you likely saw him..although he might not like being called elderly...he's only 59
Gene

daveeym
08-29-2006, 10:37 AM
Where are you getting this info or is this just a guess?

The fact that Gaston is black sure doesn't have anything to do with him not being hired as manager. Just a guess on Gaston.

daveeym
08-29-2006, 10:38 AM
my step dad has a card store at montrose and damen, so you likely saw him..although he might not like being called elderly...he's only 59
GeneYeah he wasn't in need of a cane or scooter elderly. Sorry about that, just white haired.:cool: