PDA

View Full Version : Dave Weathers? HAHAHA

Jjav829
07-30-2001, 01:03 PM
Ken Rosenthal
The Sporting News

The Cubs remained the most active trading club in the majors Monday, acquiring right-handed reliever David Weathers from the Brewers for minor-league righthander Ruben Quevedo.

Weathers, a potential free agent who rejected the Brewers' most recent contract offer over the weekend, is a significant addition for a bullpen that already ranks as one of the best in the National League.

In 52 appearances this season, Weathers is 3-4 with a 2.03 ERA. His ratio of 1.08 walks-and-hits-per-innings was the best on the Brewers' staff. He likely will be used in the same setup role with the Cubs.

Bmr31
07-30-2001, 01:04 PM
why are you laughing? weathers is a solid bullpen guy, that anyone would love to have on their team.

Jjav829
07-30-2001, 01:06 PM
Im laughing because of the Cubs fans reaction to this trade. DYK..This trade has won the World Series for the Cubs?

Chisox353014
07-30-2001, 02:15 PM
What? Are the Brewers on crack or something? Weathers for Quevedo? Oh wait, this is the same team that traded Jose Valentin for Jaime Navarro isn't it. Nevermind.

This is disturbing. The Flubs have gotten Fred McGriff and a solid bullpen pitcher for trash Manny Aybar and Ruben Quevedo. What the heck is going on? Does the rest of MLB have Mariotti-induced Cubbiephoria or something? And why can't our GM even get players' names right let alone get a decent player in return?

FarWestChicago
07-30-2001, 02:18 PM
What? Are the Brewers on crack or something? Weathers for Quevedo? Oh wait, this is the same team that traded Jose Valentin for Jaime Navarro isn't it. Nevermind.

They continue their tradition of brilliant trading.

This is disturbing. The Flubs have gotten Fred McGriff and a solid bullpen pitcher for trash Manny Aybar and Ruben Quevedo. What the heck is going on? Does the rest of MLB have Mariotti-induced Cubbiephoria or something? And why can't our GM even get players' names right let alone get a decent player in return?

There is a Flubbie conspiracy sweeping the land. They will still find a way to fail.

Tragg
07-30-2001, 02:46 PM
Weathers is a 30+ year old career middle reliver. Quevedo has done well in AAA - we'll see if he can pitch in the majors.

Middle relievers aren't that hard to find; and it's fairly frequent that a guy like weathers pops up with a career year now and then. It helps the cubs today, but tomorrow? Trading for such guys is a losing proposition.

I'm on record as saying that the cubs win this division in a handride. They are in an incredibly weak division, they are relying on vets with career years (just like 1984 and 1987) and will be nowhere next year (although wood and farnsworth and lieber are grade A pitchers). Just keep them out of the WS.

cheeses_h_rice
07-30-2001, 02:52 PM
This season is turning into some sort of Kafka-esque nightmare for me.

Houston blowing a 7-run lead with 2 outs in the 9th against the Pirates. The Cardinals and Astros being completely unable to sustain any sort of drive. The Flubs pitching consistently keeping other teams at 4-6 runs/game and always coming out on top by a run or two. And now other teams loading the Flubs up on essential spare parts and not asking for jack in return.

There are still a lot of games yet to be played, but it certainly seems as if the stars are aligning for the Flubs this year. Only their inherent Flubbieness will prevent at least a division title, it seems.

Tragg
07-30-2001, 03:40 PM
"inherent flubbiness" - I like that!

But, I doubt it will help. They have 3 legitimate pitchers, with several others pitching real well. The Astros are flawed (very similar strengths and weaknesses to us: they have ausmus, lugo, and castilla - we have alomar, clayton and singleton; they have young pitching - we have young pitching).

But, "inherent flubbiness" always lends a possibility of severe choking.

KingXerxes
07-30-2001, 03:55 PM
It's kind of a sad statement on the game itself when talent can be had for cheap prospects. There is no doubt that baseball is a business - always has been, BUT IT ISN'T SOLELY A BUSINESS, IT'S ALSO SUPPOSED TO BE A SPORT. That's what has gotten lost in the past few years. The fact that teams are unloading talent to solely get rid of salary is really a shame.

FarWestChicago
07-30-2001, 03:58 PM
It's kind of a sad statement on the game itself when talent can be had for cheap prospects. There is no doubt that baseball is a business - always has been, BUT IT ISN'T SOLELY A BUSINESS, IT'S ALSO SUPPOSED TO BE A SPORT. That's what has gotten lost in the past few years. The fact that teams are unloading talent to solely get rid of salary is really a shame.

Actually, the tradition of dumping talent to get rid of salary goes way back. I think it's been around almost as long as the game.

KingXerxes
07-30-2001, 04:37 PM
In years past (under the reserve clause), you never ever saw trading like this. The reason being that you didn't really need to be perpetually worried about re-signing someone. The exception to this was Connie Mack of the Philadelphia Athletics who had a tendancy of selling off his great teams for cash every ten years or so, but for the most part if you traded for someone in the heat of a pennant race, you had to part with some true talent - or an A1 prospect.

This sort of wholesale "unloading" is a relatively recent dynamic, and in my opinion it stinks. The first person to ever see this coming was Charlie O. Finley who wanted to sell Vida Blue, Rollie Fingers and Joe Rudi off before they became free agents. Then commisioner Bowie Kuhn killed the deal as being "not in the best interests of baseball" - and he was correct in doing so. The problem is that twenty five years ago that which was unthinkable is now the everyday.

FarWestChicago
07-30-2001, 05:24 PM
The exception to this was Connie Mack of the Philadelphia Athletics who had a tendancy of selling off his great teams for cash every ten years or so

This is exactly why I say the tradition goes way back. It wasn't everybody, but there was a tradition.

This sort of wholesale "unloading" is a relatively recent dynamic, and in my opinion it stinks. The first person to ever see this coming was Charlie O. Finley who wanted to sell Vida Blue, Rollie Fingers and Joe Rudi off before they became free agents. Then commisioner Bowie Kuhn killed the deal as being "not in the best interests of baseball" - and he was correct in doing so. The problem is that twenty five years ago that which was unthinkable is now the everyday.

I don't like it either. But, it's been going on for a while now. Connie and Charlie were just ahead of their time.

Daver
07-30-2001, 05:41 PM
I believe the Red Sox started the long tradition of salary dumping when they sold Babe Ruth to the Yankees.

KingXerxes
07-30-2001, 06:04 PM
Harry Frazee sold Babe Ruth (along with Carl Mays I think) to the Yankees for the amazing (back then) sum of $300,000. This isn't dumping because you are getting something in return for your player. Even Connie Mack received huge sums of cash for guys like Home Run Baker and Eddie Collins. All that not withstanding, these transactions were the exceptions to baseball's modus operandi, not the norm. Dumping players to unload salary was never, ever the case. Hell even Finley was going to get something like $4,000,000 for selling his three players.

The thing that used to make baseball trades so interesting was managing a trade to fill needs on both teams - otherwise you didn't have a deal. Now all you need to do is agree to pay someone, and his present team will be all too happy to ship him for a batting practice screen.