PDA

View Full Version : BOB RYAN: Being a fan shouldn't be about who's to blame

Fenway
08-25-2006, 09:50 AM
Bob Ryan hits a nerve this morning.

especially here

Blame it on talk radio. Blame it on websites and chat rooms and blogs. Blame it on Shaughnessy (he can take it). But somewhere along the way, far too many members of this so-called ``Red Sox Nation" have perverted the concept of fandom. As a result, there is no more narcissistic group of people rooting for any sports team in North America than that subsection of Red Sox followers who have made the shifting fortunes of the team all about them. When the ball went through Buckner's legs, it was, ``How can he do that to me?" And so it continues.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/08/25/tracing_his_roots_as_a_fan/?page=full

He really hit a nerve with me concerning a game in 2001. I really wanted to see a perfect game in person even if it was a Yankees pitcher throwing it.

But with the Yankees leading, 1-0, and Mussina having retired the first 26 men he had faced, it became a matter of seeing some history. No true baseball fan wanted to see Carl Everett (ugh) get a hit. A Red Sox victory would have meant nothing in the big scheme of things as opposed to seeing a perfect game. To me, it must start with, and always be about, the baseball, not the blind loyalty to a team.

Paulwny
08-25-2006, 10:02 AM
Buffalo News' sports writer and Bosox fan --- Jerry Sullivan 08/24/06

The last time I was sent to bed without my supper was on Oct. 2, 1978. That was the day Bucky Dent hit his famous home run, lifting the Yankees over my beloved Red Sox in a one-game playoff for the division title.

I had spent three excruciating hours at a friend's house, watching the game, and arrived for dinner in a sullen and slightly drunken state. My mother looked across the table and ordered me to go upstairs and be miserable alone. I was 23 years old.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060824/1063624.asp

Baby Fisk
08-25-2006, 10:05 AM
The irony of this thread almost melted my computer.

Fenway
08-25-2006, 10:15 AM
He is right about talk radio.

Most cities sports talk radio is for the diehards but in this goofy city it is huge

The latest ratings for Boston show how much of a monster WEEI has become

http://cclamp.radioandrecords.com/RRRatings_EM/DetailsPage.aspx?MID=35&RY=2006&RQ=3&MP=1&OTHER=2&MN=Boston&MS=MA&MR=11&12P=3841100&UP=8/22/2006%2012:00:00%20AM&SU=CM&BPER=6.3&HPER=&OPER=&NSD=9/19/2006%2012:00:00%20AM&CE=0

and it is all Red Sox 365/24/7 They try and cover the Patriots and NOBODY cares

daveeym
08-25-2006, 11:23 AM
Yeah the fans are so crazy that they seem to think a White Sox board needs more Red Sox news. Get your sox out of our laundry. Quit trying to turn our Sox pink.:cool:

kevingrt
08-25-2006, 11:37 AM
The irony of this thread almost melted my computer.

I can't even type a response that's how much it's killing me

MadetoOrta
08-25-2006, 11:42 AM
As Fenway knows, I just returned from a 10-day trip to Beantown. First time. They have taken the term "fan" to a whole different level. Don't get me wrong, they do love their "Sox" but it's hard to explain the relationship. At the time my family and I were there, the Red Sox were a mere 1.5 games out of the WC and almost universally the fans had "packed it in" for the year. A tour guide actually said, "you can see the light standards for Fenway Park, unfortunately there will be no playoffs this year for the Sox." My son looked at me and said "Geesh, I thought you were negative about the White Sox. You're a cheerleader compared to this guy. Wow."

southside rocks
08-25-2006, 11:43 AM
That behavior isn't confined to Red Sox fans, and they're flattering themselves if they think it is.

There's a whole genre of "fan" who seems to believe that the team owes him (or her) a win every time they play. Who wants two bad outings by a pitcher to be followed up by that pitcher's demotion to AAA or better, trade to another team. Who, having never played baseball at anything remotely close to the major league level, considers himself qualified to pronounce that Player X is not hustling and just doesn't want to win. Who never, ever sees that baseball is an incredibly complex and so often random game, beautiful for just those reasons, but only sees that his (or her) team didn't win. And that the fan didn't get what he or she wanted. And like a 3-year old child overdue for a nap and frustrated because mommy won't let him have animal crackers, starts screaming and throwing things.

It's sad and lonely to be that type of person. It's one thing to be 3 years old and have that mentality -- it's a normal stage of development -- but it's pathetic to be an adult with that view of any team or sport, IMO.

Fenway
08-25-2006, 11:44 AM
Yeah the fans are so crazy that they seem to think a White Sox board needs more Red Sox news. Get your sox out of our laundry. Quit trying to turn our Sox pink.:cool:

This can be about any team in any city

bigfoot
08-26-2006, 10:52 AM
This can be about any team in any city

Quite so, fenway, though there is that Ryan irony creeping out when Bob decides to bite the hand that feeds and has made him a nationally recognized sports journalist/yapper. Without the Espn juggernaught, who outside of the NE region would know, much less care, just whothehellis Grinnin' Bob Ryan and his uber-pomposity?:rolleyes:

JUribe1989
08-26-2006, 04:00 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/08/25/tracing_his_roots_as_a_fan/?page=full

He really hit a nerve with me concerning a game in 2001. I really wanted to see a perfect game in person even if it was a Yankees pitcher throwing it.

That was a 1-0 game with 2 outs in the 9th. Carl Everett's hit brought the winning run to the plate. That's an incredibly stupid thing for Bob Ryan to say. Everett was trying to keep his team in the game.

1951Campbell
08-26-2006, 11:58 PM
Ryan's 100% right and he's been an eager handmaiden to all this Boston Red Sox fandom bull****. He's built a nice living out of stoking the perverted passions of New Englanders about the Red Sox. I'm sorry Southside Rocks, but you're dead wrong about Red Sox fans, they're not like other fans. Deep, deep down, they enjoy all that Pesky holding the ball/Dent/Buckner bull**** that Shaunessy peddles 10,000 times more than the 2004 World Series victory. For Ryan to plead for perspective is laughable.

When I lived there I always heard about what a paradise it would be if they won, how everyone would just be happy and the rest of their lives would be gravy if their beloved Sawx could just win it all. Well guess what? It's only two ****ing years out and they're back to the same bull****. They're angry, bitter, provincials up there, and they're only really happy when they're pissed at the world, and the Red Sox are a perfect conduit for that.

Ryan getting more and more hilarious. He's pretty old, I half imagine that he's eyeing retirement and is trying to build up his legacy. Oy vey, what a self-important twit.

1951Campbell
08-27-2006, 12:25 AM
But with the Yankees leading, 1-0, and Mussina having retired the first 26 men he had faced, it became a matter of seeing some history. No true baseball fan wanted to see Carl Everett (ugh) get a hit. A Red Sox victory would have meant nothing in the big scheme of things as opposed to seeing a perfect game. To me, it must start with, and always be about, the baseball, not the blind loyalty to a team.

Sorry Fenway, but that's the perfect embodiment of a Red Sox fan. Better to lose in some historical manner, laden with pathos, than to simply win.

And I love the gratuitous shot at Carl there. Boston loved Carl for about a half a season, then he missed a team bus and got in a heated argument with an ump and threw a fit. Anyway, I guaran-****ing-tee you if Trot Nixon or Varitek had gotten that hit, he'd be a hero. A hee-roe.