PDA

View Full Version : Sox signing 8/26

salty99
08-25-2006, 08:11 AM
Madison and Friends: AJ, Crede, Konerko, Dye, Sandy Jr. $80 for all 5. 10AM

Anyone here going? If so what time?

guillensmofia
08-25-2006, 11:01 AM
How do you find out about all the signings and other promotions?? It seems i'm always a day late then want to kick myself for not finding these things out.

salty99
08-25-2006, 11:23 AM
Usually I go to csac.biz

HitMan_naMtiH
08-25-2006, 11:30 AM
where is this at?

salty99
08-25-2006, 01:06 PM
Madison and Friends store on Rush Street in Chicago
www.madisonandfriends.com (http://www.madisonandfriends.com)

Brian26
08-26-2006, 01:13 PM
Any WSI'ers there? I got there at 7am, Salty showed up at 7:15. We got through the line pretty quickly. Dye no-showed, so it was only PK, Crede, AJ, and Sandy. Decent event. People in-line with us were pretty friendly too.

Brian26
08-26-2006, 01:35 PM
http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/brian2653/DSCN0996.jpg

http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/brian2653/DSCN0997.jpg

http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/brian2653/DSCN1000.jpg

http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/brian2653/DSCN0999.jpg

salty99
08-26-2006, 03:45 PM
My Crede is better than yours..LOL

BainesHOF
08-27-2006, 12:29 AM
The signing was a disappointment.

First of all, Dye was a no show. Secondly, the signing layout was poor. It was in a cramped corner of the place in the shape of a tight "L." Players were taking/asking for their item to sign before the previous player returned your item and pen/marker. This caused items to be signed in a less-than-ideal ways.

My old Alomar bat was signed with "26" added. Unfortunately, he was "15" in his first stint with the Sox, and that's the number that was on the knob. In collecting circles, such mismatched numbers are a no-no...Crede gave me the scribble version of his autograph with a marker that didn't really work. Basically all he did was hurriedly wreck a nice picture...While I was receiving my photo from Crede, A.J. signed a dark photo in black. Not good again. Thankfully Konerko took his time to give me a great autograph on a photo of him popping open a bottle of champagne during the World Series celebration.

All in all, it wasn't a good outing. I paid $80 and waited over four hours in line for one good Konerko autograph, one OK A.J. photo, a ridiculously-signed Crede photo (if he doesn't want to be there, then why does he show up?), a bad autograph on a formerly good game-used bat and a Dye no-show. Two friends had similar bad experiences.

Unfortunately, it's pretty par for the course for autograph signings these days. It's amazing how a simple concept so often gets screwed up.

Brian26
08-27-2006, 01:12 AM
The signing was a disappointment.

First of all, Dye was a no show. Secondly, the signing layout was poor. It was in a cramped corner of the place in the shape of a tight "L." Players were taking/asking for their item to sign before the previous player returned your item and pen/marker. This caused items to be signed in a less-than-ideal ways.

ie "suck-em-up" signing a green photo with a silver pen. What are you gonna do though, yell at him?

batmanZoSo
08-27-2006, 01:31 AM
Beautiful collection there. :nod:

Bulls_Fan
08-27-2006, 06:44 AM
Baines: You got to relax. I know you spent some coin and time yesterday but you make it sound like more of a business than anything.

I have never been into the autograph thing, but i would have looked at the whole situation differently. Lined up with tons of other Sox fans who you can talk about the ballclub with, seeing some of our favorite players up close and personal and getting their John Hancock.

ewokpelts
08-27-2006, 08:46 AM
Baines: You got to relax. I know you spent some coin and time yesterday but you make it sound like more of a business than anything.

I have never been into the autograph thing, but i would have looked at the whole situation differently. Lined up with tons of other Sox fans who you can talk about the ballclub with, seeing some of our favorite players up close and personal and getting their John Hancock.and the money went to charity....

TornLabrum
08-27-2006, 09:29 AM
And if you wanted Alomar to use "15" to make it look like it was signed during his first stint with the Sox rather than this one, you probably should have TOLD HIM.

BainesHOF
08-27-2006, 09:31 AM
Trust me, I have things in perspective. It's not a business for me. It's a hobby. But in a way I guess you can look at it being a bad personal business day, relatively speaking. Not only weren't the autographs worth the money, but I had some good items in my collections ruined. And my idea of a good time is not waking up at 3:30 a.m. to wait in line for four hours and paying $80 to have my stuff come out like crap.

Autograph signings are a business on the other side, the people who put on the signing. They collect money, sometimes big money, yet, like yesterday, they wind up really only taking care of collecting money.

salty99
08-27-2006, 09:42 AM
Trust me, I have things in perspective. It's not a business for me. It's a hobby. But in a way I guess you can look at it being a bad personal business day, relatively speaking. Not only weren't the autographs worth the money, but I had some good items in my collections ruined. And my idea of a good time is not waking up at 3:30 a.m. to wait in line for four hours and paying $80 to have my stuff come out like crap.

Autograph signings are a business on the other side, the people who put on the signing. They collect money, sometimes big money, yet, like yesterday, they wind up really only taking care of collecting money.

by the way you didn't have to wake up at 3:30AM. There was no line at all at 11:30.

BainesHOF
08-27-2006, 09:45 AM
by the way you didn't have to wake up at 3:30AM. There was no line at all at 11:30.

Of course nobody knew that would be the case. Signings at the Taste and Brookfield Zoo in the past two months drew over 1,000 people with more than half of those people going away empty-handed.

BainesHOF
08-27-2006, 09:47 AM
And if you wanted Alomar to use "15" to make it look like it was signed during his first stint with the Sox rather than this one, you probably should have TOLD HIM.

That's true, but I didn't ask him to sign any number. He did it on his own.

salty99
08-27-2006, 09:49 AM
Of course nobody knew that would be the case. Signings at the Taste and Brookfield Zoo in the past two months drew over 1,000 people with more than half of those people going away empty-handed.

Agreed I am just letting you know. And yes it was disappointing that Dye no-showed. And yes the lighting was bad. But 20 bucks a guy isn't bad compared to the $60-100 a guy some other places were charging. At least they actaully acknowledged me this year and listerned to what I was saying unlike last year when they were talking about hunting the whole time. Then again last year was $35 bucks for 6 players and this year $80 for 4.

BeefyD
08-27-2006, 09:49 AM
Autograph signings are a business for those events which are held at Schwartz Sports, Sun-Times shows, card shops, etc. This was a charity event. YOUR MONEY WENT TO A GOOD CAUSE.

However, you really really make it sound as though you are upset because certain autographs might have lowered resale value on your items.

BainesHOF
08-27-2006, 10:19 AM
Autograph signings are a business for those events which are held at Schwartz Sports, Sun-Times shows, card shops, etc. This was a charity event. YOUR MONEY WENT TO A GOOD CAUSE.

However, you really really make it sound as though you are upset because certain autographs might have lowered resale value on your items.

OK, this is going to be my last post on the subject because I can see where this is going to continue to go.

Yesterday's signing was for charity, but it was clearly for business as well for the store, which was selling presale tickets that put you in front of the line if you bought $300 of their incredibly overpriced merchandise. The store also signed people up for its mailing list and I believe held a sale. The store was doing a good deed for sure, but it was also clearly drumming up business, which is fair enough. On the flip side, it would have been nice if it wasn't so iffy for fans to get some decently-penned autographs for their considerable donation to charity.

I'm disappointed because my items came out like crap. Most are not anything you'd want to display. They came out that bad. Forget about increasing the value; some players decreased the value of items.

ewokpelts
08-27-2006, 10:22 AM
Of course nobody knew that would be the case. Signings at the Taste and Brookfield Zoo in the past two months drew over 1,000 people with more than half of those people going away empty-handed.but this was a PAID event.....you had to buy a ticket to the signing.....in essence , you were guranteed a spot...

ewokpelts
08-27-2006, 10:24 AM
This is why I stick mostly to autograph cards(pulled from packs).....the sig is usually good quality, and you can get them on ebay MUCH cheaper than expected.
Gene

jabrch
08-27-2006, 10:33 AM
Why MADISON AND FRIENDS? Doesn't seem like the kind of place you'd find a Sox singing.

Brian26
08-27-2006, 10:40 AM
OK, this is going to be my last post on the subject because I can see where this is going to continue to go.

I can see both sides of it. Also- I'm not 100% sure all of the proceeds went to charity. I asked before the event if I could pay with a check, and was told on the phone no. So, I went down there with cash. In line, when they started collecting money, we were told checks were accepted and could be made out to "the Ronald McDonald House." The owner of Madison and Friends walked down the line and took cash and put it in a certain envelope, while another gentleman collected all of the checks and put those in an envelope. I never received a receipt for the donation- so how would I really be able to deduct this as a charitable contribution? Also- I heard a commercial for this event on the WSCR Friday morning, which I'm sure wasn't free. I can't believe the owner is investing money in commercials if he's not getting some sort of financial gain from this. One last note- although you could say that the owner is hoping to drum up business with the fans in line, but the cross-over just isn't there. 99.9% of the people in line would have absolutely no interest in the product in that store (extrememly expensive children's clothing).

As for the autographs, I think they turned out ok. Crede used the wrong pen, but there's nothing you can do about that. It's hard to really grasp what's going on unless you're there. They were rushing people through the lines incredibly fast, and you'd feel like a complete jerk telling Crede or Alomar to stop and write "26 instead of 15" or use a black pen instead of a silver. Sort of a weird situation.

Overall, though, I thought it turned ok and was a fun time.

Brian26
08-27-2006, 10:42 AM

In hindsight, I got there way too early too, but I had the same mindset that you did. Nobody really knew what the line was going to be like, so I was hoping to beat the crowd.

Brian26
08-27-2006, 10:44 AM
This is why I stick mostly to autograph cards(pulled from packs).....the sig is usually good quality, and you n ca get them on ebay MUCH cheaper than expected.
Gene

I like auto cards too, but there's something special about seeing the autograph happen in person. Also, a signed bat or photo is much nicer piece of displayable memorabilia than a card.

Brian26
08-27-2006, 10:46 AM

BainesHOF has one of the most incredible collections on the planet. He's not going to be selling anything.

Patrick134
08-27-2006, 10:47 AM
I like auto cards too, but there's something special about seeing the autograph happen in person. Also, a signed bat or photo is much nicer piece of displayable memorabilia than a card.

True. And the days of autographed items acquiring huge value are long gone. If you're getting an autograph, be doing it for yourself, unless it's for a gift for someone else.

ewokpelts
08-27-2006, 10:57 AM
I like auto cards too, but there's something special about seeing the autograph happen in person. Also, a signed bat or photo is much nicer piece of displayable memorabilia than a card.One of the guys my step dad does business with sells framed 8X10's coupled with cards. The ones that had autos or game used ones not only look sweet, but also commanded a higher premium. I've considered getting some of my collection done up like this. I have an aparacio autographed card(which i paid 7 bucks for, with shipping), card with a piece of an old comiskey seat(traded with a sosa collector for a card that cost me 3 bucks) that i want to bundle with the 8X10 that i got at the all star game in 03. When I factor in the cost of the frame, I'll probably spend just over 50 bucks. Far less than what Aparacio charged at Sportsfest this year.
Gene

TornLabrum
08-27-2006, 12:14 PM
That's true, but I didn't ask him to sign any number. He did it on his own.

But a whole lot of players do. We get a lot of merchandise autographed for raffles, and I'd say over 90% of the autographs have numbers.

TornLabrum
08-27-2006, 12:19 PM
Why MADISON AND FRIENDS? Doesn't seem like the kind of place you'd find a Sox singing.

Answer: The place is owned by Harry Teinowitz's wife. But you'd think it would be a Cubs signing in that case (unless they've had one of those, too).

Brian26
08-27-2006, 12:25 PM
Answer: The place is owned by Harry Teinowitz's wife. But you'd think it would be a Cubs signing in that case (unless they've had one of those, too).

They had a Cubs signing last Saturday. Howry and Eyre were there.

Harry was there yesterday, and we were trying to figure out why. Now it makes sense. Didn't know that... By the way, he's a great guy in person. He came by and talked to us for five or ten minutes.