PDA

View Full Version : Leyland upset over Kittens fan teasing Casey

Erik The Red
08-25-2006, 05:28 AM
Anyone catch this in the ESPN game recap for today's rout?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=260824106

Leyland was not upset with first baseman Sean Casey (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5930) after a bizarre play in the fifth but was disappointed with some fans' reaction and a reporter's question about it.

Casey hit a liner to third baseman Joe Crede (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6411) and then stopped running and pivoted toward home when it appeared the ball was caught before sprinting to avoid an embarrassing putout. Left fielder Pablo Ozuna (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6459) charged and made a bouncing throw that just beat Casey.

"The people behind the dugout were booing and teasing him for not running," Leyland said. "That to me is not a fan."
I guarantee you that if someone on the Sox did the same I'd boo the hell out of him.

jenn2080
08-25-2006, 07:33 AM
He's upset cuz of the fans? Oh spare me! The guy hit the ball and automatically thought it was caught and stopped running and then got gunned down at 1st by Pablo from left. Id boo your ass too. He should be upset with Casey.

The Immigrant
08-25-2006, 08:29 AM
Real Sox fans don't boo their own players, even if one of them gets thrown out at first from left field.

WizardsofOzzie
08-25-2006, 09:02 AM
Ozzie wouldn't chew him out either

0o0o0
08-25-2006, 09:39 AM
He's upset cuz of the fans? Oh spare me! The guy hit the ball and automatically thought it was caught and stopped running and then got gunned down at 1st by Pablo from left. Id boo your ass too. He should be upset with Casey.

I don't understand this. Casey thought he lined out. Why would anyone sprint to first base if they lined out? It makes no sense to boo him.

spiffie
08-25-2006, 09:44 AM
I don't understand this. Casey thought he lined out. Why would anyone sprint to first base if they lined out? It makes no sense to boo him.
I agree with this. It's not like it was a lack of hustle play where he just didn't feel like running out a pop fly. He seemed to honestly think the ball was in Crede's glove. No player in baseball keeps running after they see, or think they see, the ball is caught. He made a mistake, and it was the wrong time to do it since the game was going so awful for them already, thus he became the whipping boy for a crowd pissed off at watching the Kitties lose 10-0.

Britt Burns
08-25-2006, 09:58 AM
Leyland and Casey should just be happy that there are finally enough fans at Comerica to boo a brain fart like that...if that happened last year, the eight people who were in attendence would probably just yawn and say, 'Yup, that's about what we expect from our kitties.'

Rockin Robin
08-25-2006, 10:14 AM
Yeah, everybody is Roasting Casey for this, but find me one guy in the league that would run out a play that he honestly saw as a lineout...he just lost sight of the ball, and thought it was in Crede's glove.

skottyj242
08-25-2006, 10:14 AM

It's not the lack of sprinting that we're talking about, it's the fact that he completely stopped. He would have been safe had he even jogged the whole way.

Rockin Robin
08-25-2006, 10:16 AM
It's not the lack of sprinting that we're talking about, it's the fact that he completely stopped. He would have been safe had he even jogged the whole way.

Why would you jog to first after a ball has been caught? Am I missing something?

southside rocks
08-25-2006, 10:33 AM

Because he wasn't called out by the ump. You don't quit running until you hear the ump call you out -- at least, that's the way AJ plays the game. :D:

Casey did think it was caught; he lost sight of the ball. But when he didn't hear the ump call the out, he should have continued -- not necessarily sprinting, but running -- to first to touch the bag. Even if he didn't beat the throw, he at least wouldn't look like such a doofus in those video clips that are now going to follow him for months or years.

0o0o0
08-25-2006, 10:36 AM
Because he wasn't called out by the ump. You don't quit running until you hear the ump call you out -- at least, that's the way AJ plays the game. :D:

Casey did think it was caught; he lost sight of the ball. But when he didn't hear the ump call the out, he should have continued -- not necessarily sprinting, but running -- to first to touch the bag. Even if he didn't beat the throw, he at least wouldn't look like such a doofus in those video clips that are now going to follow him for months or years.

I highly doubt any major league player would have kept running.

And he will always look like a doofus with that hair. :cool:

champagne030
08-25-2006, 10:37 AM
Why would you jog to first after a ball has been caught? Am I missing something?

No, you're not. He spun away in disgust when he thought Crede had robbed him of a hit. When he realized the ball wasn't caught he busted his ass down the line. Only someone ignorant about baseball would boo Casey next time up to bat.

DaleJRFan
08-25-2006, 10:59 AM
I guarantee you that if someone on the Sox did the same I'd boo the hell out of him.

Erik, you boo everybody. :D:

Steelrod
08-25-2006, 11:04 AM
Yeah, everybody is Roasting Casey for this, but find me one guy in the league that would run out a play that he honestly saw as a lineout...he just lost sight of the ball, and thought it was in Crede's glove.
Thats just the point. If he lost sight of the ball, he shouldn't make assumptions.

Justagirl
08-25-2006, 11:13 AM
Thats just the point. If he lost sight of the ball, he shouldn't make assumptions.
In his defense, I dont think he lost sight of the ball..From HIS angle, it looked like Crede caught the ball. It was an honest mistake.

Baby Fisk
08-25-2006, 11:23 AM
Yeahhhhhh... and Konerko would have received a polite golf clap if the same thing happened to him. "Good effort, Pauly. Could have happened to anyone. Shucks."

WRONG! He'd have gotten his ass booed and deservedly so. You run until you are called out.

:AJ:
"Hell, you should run even if you ARE called out. It worked for me!"

Why the hell is Leyland complaining about Tiger fans? They've been packing Comerica all season supporting his team. Glass jaw?

daveeym
08-25-2006, 11:38 AM
WRONG! He'd have gotten his ass booed and deservedly so. You run until you are called out.
:rolleyes: Admittedly, I haven't seen the play. But from what it sounds like it's a line shot that is at Crede before he's even out of the box. From his angle he can't see the ball other than to think Crede caught it. Nobody is looking at the 3rd base umpire and he's definitely not going to hear the 3rd base umpire. It's a freak play plain and simple. The goat is going to hear about it in any freak play but he's hardly at fault for anything.

Oblong
08-25-2006, 11:43 AM

but if he lost sight of the ball because he thought it was in Crede's glove then it's understandable. It's a bang bang play. Otherwise every player should keep running until the fielder throws any caught ball back to the pitcher or infield.

They were booing the whole team at that point anyway, not just Casey. If he gets on I'm sure the score would have still been 10-0.

IlliniSox4Life
08-25-2006, 12:08 PM
I don't think Casey is to blame at all. It was a stupid/bad play on his part, but it wasn't because he wasn't trying. He just messed up.

That said, he got booed because the Tigers were losing bad. I don't recall the exact score at that point, but if the Tigers were winning by 7-0 instead of losing by it, nobody would have booed him outside of a few fans groaning.

maurice
08-25-2006, 12:32 PM
He ASSumed it was caught. Don't assume. Keep your head out of your ass and in the game.

Crede didn't even try to deke him. If he simply looked at Crede for more than 2 seconds, he would have realized that he didn't make the catch.

Still, it's a heck of a compliment to Crede when opposing players assume that anything that hits his glove is an automatic out, even on a nearly impossible play like that.

hi im skot
08-25-2006, 12:43 PM
He ASSumed it was caught. Don't assume. Keep your head out of your ass and in the game.

Crede didn't even try to deke him. If he simply looked at Crede for more than 2 seconds, he would have realized that he didn't make the catch.

Still, it's a heck of a compliment to Crede when opposing players assume that anything that hits his glove is an automatic out, even on a nearly impossible play like that.

If I remember correctly, a game recap on mlb.com says that Crede thought he caught the ball...for what it's worth.

I think I even remember reading that the umpire was a little slow to react.

Either way, props to Pablo for the heads-up play.

0o0o0
08-25-2006, 12:48 PM

If you thought you lined out, would you keep running?

CaptainBallz
08-25-2006, 12:57 PM
A mistake by Casey...Yeah.

Rude fans...Hell No.

They were watching their team get their asses handed to them the way the Sox got served in the first two games. It was still boneheaded on Casey's part.. the fans just let him know.

They were more upset at THE HEINOUS WALLOPING they were recieving at the hands of the Sox, and could you blame them??:D:

daveeym
08-25-2006, 12:57 PM
It happens probably 100 times in a season where someone lines a shot right at someone and they stop before they're even out of the box. The only thing different on this one is that he got thrown out by the left fielder. Every player has basically made the same mistake though. If they would have "hustled" they would have beaten the throw from the infielder after he drops a shot. It's a freak play and hardly is any indication of the type of player Casey is.

maurice
08-25-2006, 02:41 PM
If you thought you lined out, would you keep running?

I wouldn't think that I lined out when the ball's rolling into LF, the 3B is looking around for it, and the LFer is sprinting towards it. Casey didn't see these things, because he didn't bother to look.

It's not about hustle, it's about paying attention. If Casey kept his head in the game, he wouldn't have ASSumed that he lined out. Instead, he made himself look ridiculous, cost his team an out, and deserves whatever boos he gets. Don't want to get booed? Keep your head out of your ass and in the game. I suspect that he learned his lesson.

0o0o0
08-25-2006, 02:54 PM
I wouldn't think that I lined out when the ball's rolling into LF, the 3B is looking around for it, and the LFer is sprinting towards it. Casey didn't see these things, because he didn't bother to look.

And he didn't bother to look because he thought Crede caught it already. :nuts:

Clearly there's no end to this deabte, so let's just agree that Sean Casey has a horrible haircut.

maurice
08-25-2006, 02:58 PM
Casey didn't bother to look because his head was up his ass.
Crede might be a great defender, but he's not an illusionist.

Husband: Sorry I ran over your cat in the driveway, honey.
Wife: OMG, what happened?
Husband: I thought it moved out of the way, so I didn't bother to look before driving away.
Wife: Well, then. It's clearly not your fault! Why bother to look if you thought the cat moved?

- - -

Maybe Crede would've made the catch if he kept his long locks.
:cool:

0o0o0
08-25-2006, 03:27 PM
Casey didn't bother to look because his head was up his ass.
Crede might be a great defender, but he's not an illusionist.

You're saying that it's not all possible that Casey hit the ball, followed the ball to Crede's glove, and then saw what appeared to be Crede catching the ball.

Not only is that extremely possible, but it's also highly likely as to what happened.

slobes
08-25-2006, 03:30 PM
Anyone catch this in the ESPN game recap for today's rout?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=260824106

I woulda just thrown garbage on the field.

Realist
08-25-2006, 04:08 PM
Yeahhhhhh... and Konerko would have received a polite golf clap if the same thing happened to him. "Good effort, Pauly. Could have happened to anyone. Shucks."

A 400 post Konerko thread! Yes! :moonwalk:

I really miss those.

Tigerslover
08-25-2006, 08:13 PM
I have to agree with Leyland here. Not the fans were rude per se, but for not getting on Casey. These things happen, no matter how good you are. As has been stated here, Casey thought he caught it so he stopped. No point in running if the ball is already caught before you're out of the box, which is how it appeared. Obviously it wasn't, but put yourself in his shoes for a second, can you honestly say you'd still run if it appeared to be caught?

RadioheadRocks
08-25-2006, 08:42 PM

Maybe Leyland should tell those fans to go out and get a ****ing job!!!

maurice
08-28-2006, 02:19 PM
Casey hit the ball, followed the ball to Crede's glove, and then saw what appeared to be Crede catching the ball....

And then, ASSuming that Crede caught the ball, immediately spun around and faced his own dugout, feeling sorry for himself and losing sight of the ball as it rolled into LF, as Crede looked around to find the ball, and as Ozuna sprinted towards the ball. He didn't turn back around until after his teammates screamed for him to run. In other words, the guys on the bench had their heads in the game, while the guy who actually hit the ball had his head firmly planted up his own ass.

All of this is on the videotape.

MarySwiss
08-28-2006, 02:38 PM
I have to agree with Leyland here. Not the fans were rude per se, but for not getting on Casey. These things happen, no matter how good you are. As has been stated here, Casey thought he caught it so he stopped. No point in running if the ball is already caught before you're out of the box, which is how it appeared. Obviously it wasn't, but put yourself in his shoes for a second, can you honestly say you'd still run if it appeared to be caught?

Yes. I was always taught to run out your hit, and I always have. Period. No matter what.

0o0o0
08-28-2006, 03:02 PM
Yes. I was always taught to run out your hit, and I always have. Period. No matter what.

Where do you draw the line? Do you keep running on a routine fly ball that appears to have been caught by the left fielder?

MarySwiss
08-28-2006, 03:30 PM
Where do you draw the line? Do you keep running on a routine fly ball that appears to have been caught by the left fielder?

Wel, I am no longer playing softball, but the answer would be "yes." But then again, I always overran first base full-speed even if the ball was a one-hopper back to the pitcher and I saw the pitcher field it and throw it and the first baseman catch it before I got there. What if the ump blows the call; maybe decides the first baseman didn't have his/her foot on the bag or something?

Why would you ever NOT run, at least to first? If you're out, you're out. Is it going to kill you to run out your hit? Sorry, but I don't understand that mentality, especially in a major league baseball player. I really hate it when I see one loping down the first base line, just assuming he's going to be out, apparently. And you see it all the time.

southside rocks
08-28-2006, 03:37 PM

Yes. Maybe not full speed, but you lope the rest of the way to the bag and touch it and THEN cut back to your dugout.

If Casey had even trotted to first on that and not beaten the throw, he'd still have been out but he'd be a lot less embarrassed by the video that now is going to follow him around for the rest of the season and maybe longer. :redneck

I bet he runs out everything from now on.

0o0o0
08-28-2006, 03:40 PM
Why would you ever NOT run, at least to first? If you're out, you're out. Is it going to kill you to run out your hit? Sorry, but I don't understand that mentality, especially in a major league baseball player. I really hate it when I see one loping down the first base line, just assuming he's going to be out, apparently. And you see it all the time.

I agree with not running out grounders. That annoys the hell out of me. But a line drive is a different story, you don't have much time to "assume" you're going to be out. There's nothing to run out.

maurice
08-28-2006, 03:45 PM
you don't have much time to "assume" you're going to be out.

Then don't ASSume it at all. Verify it, instead of spining around and feeling sorry for yourself. Until you can verify it, RUN!
:rolleyes:

MarySwiss
08-28-2006, 03:50 PM
I agree with not running out grounders. That annoys the hell out of me. But a line drive is a different story, you don't have much time to "assume" you're going to be out. There's nothing to run out.

Well, apparently there is. That's why we're talking about it. Sorry, but I just think you run everything out. There's no reason not to.

0o0o0
08-28-2006, 04:32 PM
Then don't ASSume it at all. Verify it, instead of spining around and feeling sorry for yourself. Until you can verify it, RUN!
:rolleyes:

:sigh: Not this again. The point is that he thought he verified it already. If you insist on criticizing him, the only thing that makes sense is to criticize his eyes for not seeing clearly.

Every player assumes things. Sorry if that's not the way you want the game to be played, but it's not realistic to assume nothing.

maurice
08-28-2006, 05:26 PM
If you insist on criticizing him, the only thing that makes sense is to criticize his eyes for not seeing clearly.

BS, you can criticize the entire player for not bothering to actually look for more than 1/2 second. A glance is not "verification," it's an ASSumption.

Step 1 - remove head from ass.
Step 2 - get your head in the game.
Step 3 - verify whether he caught it by looking longer than 1/2 second.
Step 4 - keep running to 1B.

Casey skipped all of these obvious steps and jumped straight to "turn around and stroll towards the dugout." Shades of Josh Paul.

Again, Crede is not an illusionist. The play was apparent to everybody who watched for more than 1/2 second, including Pablo Ozuna and the Tigers' dugout. Casey made a dumbass mistake. He's 100% at fault. That's why he apologized and probably will make sure not to do it again.

0o0o0
08-28-2006, 05:40 PM
He's 100% at fault. That's why he apologized and probably will make sure not to do it again.

What the hell did you expect him to say? "Yeah, I thought Crede caught it but don't blame me, anyone would have done what I did."

Once again, we're obviously not gonna see it the same way so I'm done.

maurice
08-28-2006, 09:04 PM
What the hell did you expect him to say?

*** are you talking about? Casey and I are in agreement that he ****ed up and needed to apoogize. You're the one who disagrees with him.

pearso66
08-28-2006, 11:05 PM
I think it was stupid on Casey's part, but I wouldn't boo him. When I heard the play on the radio, I was cracking up, but after watching it, the ball looked like it hit Crede right in the webbing, but was hit so hard, it popped out. I would have assumed he caught it too, but then again, I don't play in the majors.

soxinem1
08-29-2006, 11:08 PM
I agree with this. It's not like it was a lack of hustle play where he just didn't feel like running out a pop fly. He seemed to honestly think the ball was in Crede's glove. No player in baseball keeps running after they see, or think they see, the ball is caught. He made a mistake, and it was the wrong time to do it since the game was going so awful for them already, thus he became the whipping boy for a crowd pissed off at watching the Kitties lose 10-0.

No kidding.... even if it was a moderatly close game, stuff happens. If it was a total loaf play like Keith Moreland did in the 80's with the cubs, I can understand. But they were not going to win this gae.

Hey he messed up. Do they want Carlos Pena back who rarely hit the ball out of the infield?