PDA

View Full Version : The Ol' 5-7-3 Put Out

BRDSR
08-25-2006, 02:00 AM
Anyone think this might have a similar effect as last year's "Boone Walk." I mean, just downright demoralizing. Down 7-0, Casey makes good contact, and gets thrown out by the left fielder?!

Sometimes I think that we, as fans, put a lot more emphasis on individual plays like that and that the players might smile about it afterwards but in general think nothing of it. Other times I think plays like that can really get into everyone's minds and serve as a catalyst for the remaining games.

I think its great that the play was made by a bench player. Ozuna has constantly been filling in and playing heads up baseball and, as a fan, he's been inspiring. He's a smart baseball player and gets absolutely EVERYTHING out of every opportunity given to him. I hope some of the Sox' regulars use it as an example and really step it up in the remaining games.

mark2olson
08-25-2006, 07:21 AM
Absolutely, heads up baseball by Ozuna! Man, he fired a rocket to make the play and showed inspired hustle. On the flip side of the coin, an absolute bonehead play on Casey's part for lack of hustle.

michned
08-25-2006, 07:37 AM
Absolutely, heads up baseball by Ozuna! Man, he fired a rocket to make the play and showed inspired hustle. On the flip side of the coin, an absolute bonehead play on Casey's part for lack of hustle.

I have no agenda for defending Sean Casey, but I don't think it was a lack of hustle. He just thought Crede caught the ball and started walking back to the dugout.

hi im skot
08-25-2006, 07:49 AM
I have no agenda for defending Sean Casey, but I don't think it was a lack of hustle. He just thought Crede caught the ball and started walking back to the dugout.

Yes.

spawn
08-25-2006, 07:51 AM
That's my take on it as well.

MrRoboto83
08-25-2006, 08:04 AM

I agree with that. He really looked upset in the dugout, you could tell he just knew those cameras were just burning a hole through him.

Domeshot17
08-25-2006, 09:02 AM
sox threw a ton of leather yesterday for sure, anyone watch BBTN? Was this play gloads dive or anderson web gems?

rdwj
08-25-2006, 09:09 AM
I never realized that Ozuna had such a gun! That was a GREAT throw. Man, if he could just sharpen up his outfielding skills, he'd be an everyday player on this team.

Gavin
08-25-2006, 09:10 AM
With Podsednik slipping lately and Ozuna doing all the right things, I'm no opponent of keeping him in LF for a couple more games. He's got a much better arm apparantly and is actually getting on base.

tebman
08-25-2006, 09:14 AM
Casey screwed up, no doubt about it. But it seems to me that his mistake was not running it out. If he didn't see or hear an umpire make a call, he should have been charging down the first-base line. Pierzynski's "stolen" first base in the playoffs last year happened because he didn't hear the ump make a call and he ran down to first.

I don't think Casey's a slacker. He just made an assumption he never should have made and now he looks like a goat. If the Tigers start to slide the way the Indians did last year after Grady Sizemore misplayed a fly ball that cost them a game late in the season, we'll all be talking about this (non-) play for years.

rdwj
08-25-2006, 09:19 AM
...If the Tigers start to slide the way the Indians did last year after Grady Sizemore misplayed a fly ball that cost them a game late in the season, we'll all be talking about this (non-) play for years.

Ummmm, they were DOWN 7 RUNS at the time. That play can hardly be considered a turning point in the game. It was an ugly spot in an already ugly game for the Tigers.

jenn2080
08-25-2006, 09:30 AM
sox threw a ton of leather yesterday for sure, anyone watch BBTN? Was this play gloads dive or anderson web gems?

yes they were both web gems. actually 3 out of 5 web gems were from the game yesterday. one was for the tiggers.

lumpyspun
08-25-2006, 09:35 AM
I'll also throw out there that he may have been safe if Paulie was at first. Gload made a hell of a stretch for that ball.

ode to veeck
08-25-2006, 09:37 AM
The Boone Walk was definitely an exclamation point on the end of the sentance that described the end of the Tribe's comeback run for the division.

Hopefully, we'lll have a similar play coming up when we finish off the Kittens by end of Sept.

mark2olson
08-25-2006, 09:38 AM
Casey screwed up, no doubt about it. But it seems to me that his mistake was not running it out. If he didn't see or hear an umpire make a call, he should have been charging down the first-base line. Pierzynski's "stolen" first base in the playoffs last year happened because he didn't hear the ump make a call and he ran down to first.

I don't think Casey's a slacker. He just made an assumption he never should have made and now he looks like a goat. If the Tigers start to slide the way the Indians did last year after Grady Sizemore misplayed a fly ball that cost them a game late in the season, we'll all be talking about this (non-) play for years.

I think that you characterized the situation better than I did. Casey failed to hustle down to first until he was called 'out,' a failure to hustle in my book. I am really not trying to denegrate Casey, he seems like a decent enough fellow and a good ball player. None-the-less, it was a mistake, and although, as others have pointed out already, it did not cost the Tigers the ball game, mistakes, eventually, will lead to a ball club's undoing.

Railsplitter
08-25-2006, 09:40 AM
It was a lack of thinking, not a lack of hustle. In fact, you could say Casey was complimenting Crede.

ws05champs
08-25-2006, 09:44 AM
I really liked Ozuna's hustle on this play and his alertness. Whatever his talent is, he is always thinking out there. I really like Pods, but this year he seems to have is head somewhere else at times. I believe that if it was Pods in left field yesterday, the ball gets thrown back to Garland and not to Gload.

I really hope our fielding and pitching (and hitting for that matter) can take some inspiration from how yesterday's game was played.

Sad
08-25-2006, 09:48 AM
it's a 5-7-3 putout just because Crede got a piece of it?
seems like a 7-3... :?:

itsnotrequired
08-25-2006, 09:51 AM
it's a 5-7-3 putout just because Crede got a piece of it?
seems like a 7-3... :?:

That is indeed the way it is scored. Same deal if the pitcher gets a piece of a ball that gets by him. 1-6-3 or 1-4-3 plays are not that uncommon. 5-7-3, however, is extremely rare.

cheezheadsoxfan
08-25-2006, 09:55 AM
It was a lack of thinking, not a lack of hustle. In fact, you could say Casey was complimenting Crede.

Exactly. Because it was Crede, he just assumed it was caught. Says something about Joe's rep.

tebman
08-25-2006, 10:09 AM
Ummmm, they were DOWN 7 RUNS at the time. That play can hardly be considered a turning point in the game. It was an ugly spot in an already ugly game for the Tigers.
You're right, of course -- Casey's weird 5-7-3 putout didn't lose the game for the Tigers but it's the kind of play that can nag at a team. At least I hope so. :wink:

We'll see. The Tigers may just shrug it off and come back strong or the wheels might come off. Stranger things have happened. We've all been waiting for the Tigers' inevitable losing stretch. Could this be it? :praying:

digdagdug23
08-25-2006, 10:14 AM
You're right, of course -- Casey's weird 5-7-3 putout didn't lose the game for the Tigers but it's the kind of play that can nag at a team. At least I hope so. :wink:

We'll see. The Tigers may just shrug it off and come back strong or the wheels might come off. Stranger things have happened. We've all been waiting for the Tigers' inevitable losing stretch. Could this be it? :praying:

Ah yeas, especially when the ESPN talking heads re-play it on a 24 hour loop.:redneck

southside rocks
08-25-2006, 10:17 AM
5-7-3, however, is extremely rare.

This might be the only one recorded, or so they said on BT last night. They had Elias chasing it down and were back into the 1950's without finding another 5-7-3 putout. We might have a once-in-a-century play here.

southside rocks
08-25-2006, 10:18 AM
Exactly. Because it was Crede, he just assumed it was caught. Says something about Joe's rep.

I think it was Crede's body language, too -- he closed his glove, he looked like he caught the ball. Until, of course, you saw the ball bounce into left field.

Mickster
08-25-2006, 10:28 AM
All I can say is:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y284/fullmulletalchemist/nelson_ha_ha.jpg

MarySwiss
08-25-2006, 10:29 AM

Well, it's already got the manager calling out the fans for booing the guy, so that's promising.

Chez
08-25-2006, 10:32 AM
Great throw by Pablo. Pods would have needed a cut-off man!

jdm2662
08-25-2006, 10:46 AM
I never realized that Ozuna had such a gun! That was a GREAT throw. Man, if he could just sharpen up his outfielding skills, he'd be an everyday player on this team.

He will probably play tonight since he's one of the few Sox players to actually get hits against Santana.

Mickster
08-25-2006, 10:48 AM
He will probably play tonight since he's one of the few Sox players to actually get hits against Santana.

Santana pitches tomorrow.

kobo
08-25-2006, 10:49 AM
If this was Saturday you would be right. Radke starts tonight.

MarySwiss
08-25-2006, 10:49 AM

Radke tonight, Santana tomorrow.

And I cannot believe we Arizona Sox fans actually get to see yet another Saturday game.

Railsplitter
08-25-2006, 10:51 AM
There may have been some 9-3 putouts along they way, but I'm not sure.

jdm2662
08-25-2006, 10:51 AM
Radke tonight, Santana tomorrow.

And I cannot believe we Arizona Sox fans actually get to see yet another Saturday game.

Just realized that Minne had a day off Monday...

tebman
08-25-2006, 10:58 AM
There have, and I wish I could tell you what game it was. Over 40 years ago I remember watching a game on TV and seeing a 9-3 putout. My recollection is that it was a sharply hit liner that the rightfielder played on one hop and threw to first.

I can't imagine there haven't been others. When you think about it, it should happen more often.

Steelrod
08-25-2006, 11:00 AM

Basic baseball. You run to first as fast as you can. Your coach or the umpire will signal and out if there is one. They will both be in your line of vision without slowing you down one bit!

Steelrod
08-25-2006, 11:01 AM
There have, and I wish I could tell you what game it was. Over 40 years ago I remember watching a game on TV and seeing a 9-3 putout. My recollection is that it was a sharply hit liner that the rightfielder played on one hop and threw to first.

I can't imagine there haven't been others. When you think about it, it should happen more often.
I have seen more that one 9-3. Thome is usually at risk for this as he usually hits the ball sharply. That probably explains why he ALWAYS hustles to first.

MushMouth
08-25-2006, 11:11 AM

I saw Dave Parker in right field nail someone at first at one point in the 80's...

itsnotrequired
08-25-2006, 11:15 AM

But what about the rare 3-9 putout?

9-3-1917 CIN @ PIT (G2) - In the bottom of the sixth, Bob Steele grounded to 2B for the third out, but didn't run it out. Hal Chase took the throw from Dave Shean, then apparently got cute and instead of touching the bag, tossed the ball to Tommy Griffith coming in from RF, who stepped on first for the putout (439).

http://retrosheet.org/

1951Campbell
08-25-2006, 11:25 AM

It's a mental error, not a hustle thing, but either way, shouldn't happen. See: Josh Paul

wassagstdu
08-25-2006, 11:53 AM
Casey made an assumption, and failed to run it out. By the same token, Pablo could have made an assumption and automatically lobbed the ball in to second. But Pablo "wanted it more" than Casey and threw a bullet to first. The great throw is the icing on the cake. The great play is to be so into the game and want to win so much that Pablo looked for an opportunity that may never have happened before or again. I put it right behind Iguchi's gravity-defying play on my play-of-the-year list.

cheezheadsoxfan
08-25-2006, 12:05 PM
I think it was Crede's body language, too -- he closed his glove, he looked like he caught the ball. Until, of course, you saw the ball bounce into left field.

Good point.

Iwritecode
08-25-2006, 12:18 PM

That's because he thought he caught it too. He didn't realize he missed it until he looked in his glove.

Iwritecode
08-25-2006, 12:22 PM
This might be the only one recorded, or so they said on BT last night. They had Elias chasing it down and were back into the 1950's without finding another 5-7-3 putout. We might have a once-in-a-century play here.

How weird would it be for this team to make history twice within a week by doing something that has never been done in the history of the game?

The first being the 4 lead-off homeruns in the first two innings against KC on the 17th.

slobes
08-25-2006, 03:23 PM
I'll also throw out there that he may have been safe if Paulie was at first. Gload made a hell of a stretch for that ball.

Defensively I'd say Gload is as good, is not better than, Paulie. This play was not just because of Casey. While obviously his lack of running accounted for 99% of the play, both Ozuna and Gload made great plays to get it done.

BTW, that 3-9 putout is sweet.

Mohoney
08-25-2006, 03:29 PM

Yup. That makes it A LOT EASIER to just shrug off.

However, after winning the first 2 games, the Tigers had a chance to bury us and did not take advantage. There might be a momentum swing after all, IF we take 2 from the Twins, especially if one of them is the Santana game.

DumpJerry
08-25-2006, 03:32 PM
Ok, so it is clear now that John Lennon's song "Mind Games" applies to the left side of our infield. Crede's play on this one reminds me of Uribe's "deke" on D. Lee last year which left Cub fans and the Cubune whining the rest of the season.

Winner's play heads-up baseball. Losers get out.

flo-B-flo
08-25-2006, 06:38 PM
I have no agenda for defending Sean Casey, but I don't think it was a lack of hustle. He just thought Crede caught the ball and started walking back to the dugout. He turned his back on the field while the ball was in play. You do that you might miss something. He did. Ozuna finished the play. A heads up play.

flo-B-flo
08-25-2006, 06:45 PM

I can't imagine there haven't been others. When you think about it, it should happen more often. I remember Smoky Burgess getting thrown out at first. The year is fuzzy.

lukeman89
08-25-2006, 07:31 PM
excuse my ignorance, but what exactly was the "boone walk" again?