PDA

View Full Version : Cubune putting its spin on the cubs' USA Today article

WizardsofOzzie
08-25-2006, 12:38 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-060824cubsfeech,1,6205484.story?page=1&coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

Clearly there must be some explination for this stuff because the cubs have the best fans in baseball who would never do such things!!

PatK
08-25-2006, 11:51 AM
I love the line about how Jacque Jones and LaTroy Hawkins (black guys) were never booed as loud as Todd Hundley (white guy).

First off, how they hell could they prove that, and why even say it?

Second, does that mean it's okay to hurl racial slurs and write racist hate mail?

Tekijawa
08-25-2006, 11:54 AM
My favorite piece came early in the article with this question:

"Why not just realize that a few kooks hardly speak for an entire fan base"

maurice
08-25-2006, 12:47 PM
This is their second attempt to downplay the issue this week.
The headline for the previous article (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-0608220015aug22,1,5434870.story?coll=chi-sportscubs-hed) actually used the word "downplay."

The lady doth protest too much.

TommyJohn
08-25-2006, 01:42 PM
I love the line about how Jacque Jones and LaTroy Hawkins (black guys) were never booed as loud as Todd Hundley (white guy).

First off, how they hell could they prove that, and why even say it?

Second, does that mean it's okay to hurl racial slurs and write racist hate mail?

They carry around a handy-dandy "Boo-O-Meter" and whip it out on occasion
to measure the intensity of the boos.

WizardsofOzzie
08-25-2006, 01:53 PM

You'd figure the thing woulda broke after the '03 NLCS

caulfield12
08-25-2006, 02:04 PM

Is that like the Shawon-o-Meter (Dunston)?

infohawk
08-25-2006, 03:12 PM
How long until the Cubune claims that the letters are really from trouble-making, malcontent Sox fans? Notice this isn't in teal.

MVP
08-25-2006, 03:52 PM
How long until the Cubune claims that the letters are really from trouble-making, malcontent Sox fans? Notice this isn't in teal.

I'm surprised they didn't do that from the very beginning. I'd say they're overdue.

AnkleSox
08-25-2006, 04:10 PM

Yeah, that made me laugh. As much as I hate the Cubs, I'm well aware that not all of their fans are racist, nobody needs to tell me that, yet you'd never see an article from the Cubune about how William Ligue's actions aren't representative of all Sox fans. Instead they find out whatever other trouble he's getting into and continually link him with the Sox.

Steelrod
08-25-2006, 05:13 PM
The best spin of all will be improved play and Dusty saving his job. The laughs on them!

Dan Mega
08-25-2006, 05:31 PM

That is quite the hilarious statement seeing that the Cubune has painted the entire Sox fanbase as being pot smoking William Ligue copycats.

SoxFan76
08-30-2006, 06:28 PM
Why not just realize that a few kooks hardly speak for an entire fan base

OMFG

Ok, I need to walk this one off.