PDA

View Full Version : Rules Question

Madvora
08-24-2006, 09:46 PM
This kind of just popped into my head and I need some clarification.
This is something I used to know, but I guess I forgot.

- If two runners end up on the same base, which runner is called out? The lead runner or the following runner?

Daver
08-24-2006, 09:52 PM
The following runner, the lead runner has already earned the base.

Chisox003
08-24-2006, 09:54 PM
How about this one...

Yesterday Jim Leyland brought in a new pitcher with a 2-2 count on Podsednik. Anderson pinch hit, struck out on the next pitch, and the K as charged to Pods.

What if there was only 1 strike and this situation happened? Would Podsednik still get the K since he started the AB? Or would Anderson get it because he had 2 strikes of the 3?

Madvora
08-24-2006, 09:54 PM
Well, I found it kind of quick in case anyone's interested.
I don't have the option to delete the thread anymore.

Two runners may not occupy a base, but if, while the ball is alive, two runners are touching a base, the following runner shall be out when tagged. The preceding runner is entitled to the base.

Daver
08-24-2006, 09:56 PM
How about this one...

Yesterday Jim Leyland brought in a new pitcher with a 2-2 count on Podsednik. Anderson pinch hit, struck out on the next pitch, and the K as charged to Pods.

What if there was only 1 strike and this situation happened? Would Podsednik still get the K since he started the AB? Or would Anderson get it because he had 2 strikes of the 3?

The original batter gets scored with the at bat.

Johnny Mostil
08-24-2006, 10:03 PM
How about this one...

Interesting question. Here's Rule 10.17(4)(b):

When the batter leaves the game with two strikes against him, and the substitute batter completes a strikeout, charge the strikeout and the time at bat to the first batter. If the substitute batter completes the turn at batin any other manner, including a base on balls, score the action as having been that of the substitute batter.

I didn't see anything on what happens if the batter leaves with only one strike. My own reading of the rule (which may be worth about what you paid me for it, i.e., nothing) is that the first sentence refers to an exception to the second sentence: i.e., the second batter is credited (or charged) with whatever the result of the AB would be except if he enters the game with two strikes. So a batter entering the game with only one strike would be charged with the strikeout if picking up the next two strikes. But, again, I may be wrong . . .

EDIT: I'll defer to Daver on this . . .

EDIT II: I'm giving too much thought to this, but is entering the game with one strike and completing the at-bat completing it "in any other manner" than entering with two strikes? (And, if so, shouldn't the second batter be scored with the AB?)

DumpJerry
08-24-2006, 10:13 PM
This kind of just popped into my head and I need some clarification.
This is something I used to know, but I guess I forgot.

- If two runners end up on the same base, which runner is called out? The lead runner or the following runner?
Let's ask Mr. Dybzinski about this one.............

CLR01
08-25-2006, 12:57 AM
EDIT II: I'm giving too much thought to this, but is entering the game with one strike and completing the at-bat completing it "in any other manner" than entering with two strikes? (And, if so, shouldn't the second batter be scored with the AB?)

As defined by the rule you posted? No. As it states in the first sentence that rule applies when the batter leaves after two strikes. "Any other matter" would be a hit, walk, HBP, ground out, etc....anything but a strikeout.

Johnny Mostil
08-25-2006, 05:31 AM
As defined by the rule you posted? No. As it states in the first sentence that rule applies when the batter leaves after two strikes. "Any other matter" would be a hit, walk, HBP, ground out, etc....anything but a strikeout.

I'm guessing you're right, but I wonder why it just doesn't say that, instead of noting a two-strike "exception" (?).

credeistheman
08-29-2006, 10:10 AM
how often do players get pulled mid-at-bat when there isn't a pitching change? it only happen when the batter gets hurt, right?

there have to be more details about a batter inheriting a count. is there a three-ball rule? (ie; who is awarded the bb when a new batter enters the count with 3 balls and less than two strikes? according to the rule you posted, if someone enters an at-bat with a full-count and he draws a walk, the sub batter is awarded the bb, but what if it's 3-0?)

also, i know a switch hitter can't switch boxes mid-at-bat. i assume a switch hitter can switch if a new pitcher is brought in, yes?

the gooch
08-29-2006, 01:07 PM
also, i know a switch hitter can't switch boxes mid-at-bat. i assume a switch hitter can switch if a new pitcher is brought in, yes?
yes. Cintron did this just this past week.