PDA

View Full Version : What would Ozzie have done?

thomas35forever
08-24-2006, 08:20 PM
If Ozzie was managing the Tigers, how would he have handled Casey after the most impossible play of the season? I'd sense the biggest tirade of his managerial career.

JB98
08-24-2006, 08:36 PM
If Ozzie was managing the Tigers, how would he have handled Casey after the most impossible play of the season? I'd sense the biggest tirade of his managerial career.

I don't think so. I thought Casey made an honest mistake. He just lost track of where the ball was. As soon as he realized what was happening, he hustled down the line.

bluestar
08-24-2006, 08:39 PM
I don't think Ozzie would have done anything. It was an honest mistake. The reports of the incident even said that both Crede and the 1B umpire thought Crede had caught it. Crede said he didn't realize he hadn't caught it until he looked into his glove.

It isn't like Casey was dogging it to first; he honestly thought Crede had caught the ball and was going back to the dugout.

caulfield12
08-24-2006, 08:55 PM
Casey stood at his locker and answered every question, however peculiar, for six minutes after the game. He shrugged a lot. He wondered aloud as to what he should say. He felt “absolutely miserable” about it all.

Casey apologized to Leyland after it happened. Leyland told him not to worry but later said Casey seemed “shook up” by the play. More than anything, Leyland was upset that Casey was booed when he came to the plate for his next at-bat, in the seventh. Leyland said he heard one fan behind the dugout suggest that Casey should make sure to run the next ball out.

“I was disappointed,” Leyland said. “Very disappointed. We have great fans, but that was very disappointing. That showed me those particular fans don’t watch baseball and have not watched Sean Casey play….

“We stunk. I’m not looking to blame any fan. But that was disappointing.”

from freepress.com

MarySwiss
08-24-2006, 09:13 PM
I don't think so, either. You hit a ball; it's caught; you head for the dugout. I initially thought Crede caught it and just watched the play again in archive and it STILL looked like he caught it. Understandable mistake on Casey's part.

EastCoastSoxFan
08-25-2006, 09:28 AM
According to the Trib, Ozzie left a tersely worded message on the clubhouse bulletin board after the game:
"Run the (bleeping) bases.
Ozzie"
In light of the 10-0 victory it was good for a clubhouse-wide laugh...

itsnotrequired
08-25-2006, 09:38 AM
I don't think so, either. You hit a ball; it's caught; you head for the dugout. I initially thought Crede caught it and just watched the play again in archive and it STILL looked like he caught it. Understandable mistake on Casey's part.

I can't find it in the top plays from yesterdays game. Am I looking in the wrong spot?

MarySwiss
08-25-2006, 10:00 AM
I can't find it in the top plays from yesterdays game. Am I looking in the wrong spot?

You have to scroll through the archived game film. I'm guessing they didn't make it a top play because it was a guy screwing up instead of doing something good.

I'm not sure what inning it was, but the score was 7-0 Sox, there was nobody out, and he hit it on a 3-0 count.

Iwritecode
08-25-2006, 10:38 AM
You have to scroll through the archived game film. I'm guessing they didn't make it a top play because it was a guy screwing up instead of doing something good.

I'm not sure what inning it was, but the score was 7-0 Sox, there was nobody out, and he hit it on a 3-0 count.

5th inning. They've replayed it on Comcast, ESPN and the local news about a million times now.

DaleJRFan
08-25-2006, 11:03 AM
Ozzie probably would have made fun of him just like he did earlier in the year when Jon Garland dropped the ball trying to throw to first... who can forget that! :cool:

PatK
08-25-2006, 11:46 AM
I'm hoping that will be a Tigers version of the Bartman ball.

kevingrt
08-25-2006, 11:50 AM
WWOD... I'm ordering bracelets now.

TomBradley72
08-25-2006, 12:48 PM
Casey's a gamer...honest mistake.

ChiSoxlukes
08-25-2006, 01:25 PM
Biggest tirade? I think not. Biggest joking around of the season from Ozzie, yes.

bnlfanmatt
08-25-2006, 05:35 PM
Wasn't there a time last year that Ozzie benched Uribe for the rest of the game for not running a ball out? I think it was a ground ball, weekend game against the A's in July last year. To me, this doesn't seem much different, it's not that difficult to keep running, although there is the slight chance of risking injury, but then again, you can twist an ankle turning back to the dugout anyways.

bluestar
08-25-2006, 06:07 PM
Wasn't there a time last year that Ozzie benched Uribe for the rest of the game for not running a ball out? I think it was a ground ball, weekend game against the A's in July last year. To me, this doesn't seem much different, it's not that difficult to keep running, although there is the slight chance of risking injury, but then again, you can twist an ankle turning back to the dugout anyways.

But Casey was not guilty of "not running a ball out." This was a completely different situation than a player that pops the ball up, assumes the ball WILL be caught, and doesn't run it out. Casey thought he saw Crede catch the ball. If you watch the replay, Crede's reaction looks like he caught the ball. Crede himself even thought he had caught the ball!

It is mildly amazing to me that so many people want to make so much out of this honest mistake. Casey wasn't being lazy; he just reacted to what he thought he had seen.

I'm just glad every little brain fart I have isn't debated ad nauseum on Internet message boards.

bnlfanmatt
08-25-2006, 08:19 PM
But Casey was not guilty of "not running a ball out." This was a completely different situation than a player that pops the ball up, assumes the ball WILL be caught, and doesn't run it out. Casey thought he saw Crede catch the ball. If you watch the replay, Crede's reaction looks like he caught the ball. Crede himself even thought he had caught the ball!

It is mildly amazing to me that so many people want to make so much out of this honest mistake. Casey wasn't being lazy; he just reacted to what he thought he had seen.

I'm just glad every little brain fart I have isn't debated ad nauseum on Internet message boards.

Eh, I was just bringing up a similar situation to gauge Ozzie's reaction to it. Honestly, I haven't seen the replay, and have relied on reports of it to know exactly what happened, and decided to play devil's advocate. Sorry if I riled you up.

ondafarm
08-25-2006, 08:34 PM
Ozzie mostly goes nuts in two situations.

1) When you don't do the job and let your teammates down (includes not hustling.)

2) When you don't use your head and make a stupid play.

I don't see Casey as doing either.

ZombieRob
08-26-2006, 11:41 AM
With all the blunders the Sox have made this year and lack of execution ,Ozzie has been pretty mild when it comes to his players.

credeistheman
08-28-2006, 05:18 PM
one of the first things you learn in baseball is once you make contact put your head down and run. he shouldn't have been looking at joe in the first place. even it had been a can of corn to guch he would have put his head down and ran to first.

this is similar to the josh paul play in that a player assumed the play was over before it was. in both cases i blame the player for not executing what should be a fundamental part of the game.

i can guarantee you that this is the last time we see casey dog it to first.

slavko
08-28-2006, 08:52 PM
Ozzie and Casey would have had a big laugh about it. For pete's sake, the game was a blowout for the Sox and the play was meaningless. This is not remotely Bartman, although Ozzie is smart enough to have defused that situation and rallied his team, as well.