PDA

View Full Version : When does Santana become a FA?

chaerulez
08-24-2006, 04:23 PM
I know he started his career in 2000, but some of those seasons weren't full seasons, so obviously he doesn't become a free agent after this season even though he's played six years. Does he become a free agent after 2007? I don't think the Twins can afford him unless he gives them a discount, so that's why I'm curious. Same with Joe Nathan, maybe the Twins can keep one of them, but I don't see them keeping both.

cleanwsox
08-24-2006, 04:25 PM
After the 2008 season, barring any contract extensions.

Nathan after 2008, as well. The Twins have a $6 option for 2008, which is quite cheap for a closer of his stature.

Britt Burns
08-24-2006, 04:32 PM
My guess? Never. The Twins either break the bank to keep him in Minnesota or (more likely) trade him to one of the usual suspects-Yanks, Mets, Boston-contingent on him signing a monster extension a la Pedro going from montreal to the Red Sox.

cleanwsox
08-24-2006, 04:38 PM
With a new ballpark coming in the future, I think they will have the revenue to keep him under wraps for a very long time. Terry Ryan is a very smart GM for the resources he has and I have a hard time believing he lets Santana or Liriano get away from the team. Although, they will have to shell out a lot of money in the next couple years seeing that Mauer, Morneau, Santana, Liriano, and Nathan are all going to demand contracts over 10 million a year.

maurice
08-24-2006, 04:42 PM
Radke's contract will be off the books starting next year.

Maybe (probably?) Hunter too.

Chicken Dinner
08-24-2006, 04:45 PM
http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/minnesota-twins_17.html

chaerulez
08-24-2006, 04:52 PM
I see, I didn't know Santana signed a contract to avoid arbitration. I think with the recent contracts of B.J. Ryan and Billy Wagner, Nathan will ask for at least a 4 year deal at 9 million per. I think it's safe to say that Santana can easily demand a 5 year deal at least 13-14 million per. With high market teams, you never know how much more that price can go up too.