PDA

View Full Version : Was this trip a success?

Whitesox029
08-24-2006, 03:15 PM
Maybe it's the good vibes from the last two games, but I don't feel so bad about going 3-4...I know we could have done a hell of a lot better, but Hawk pointed out that overall, we left home 6.5 back, and we're returning home 5.5 back. Thoughts?

lumpyspun
08-24-2006, 03:16 PM
Detroit series was fine with me...but, the Minn series was a real downer. All we did was give them confidence and put them closer to the wild card chase.

cleanwsox
08-24-2006, 03:17 PM
Definitely like winning the last couple games of the trip to have some kind of momentum going into this huge series against the Twins. Still have the WC lead and hopefully the Orioles can lay the smack down on Boof tonight.

IlliniSox4Life
08-24-2006, 03:17 PM
It wasn't really a success, but it wasn't a failure either. I'd call it a push.

stl_sox_fan
08-24-2006, 03:19 PM
It wasn't really a success, but it wasn't a failure either. I'd call it a push.

So the money on this series rolls over to the Minnesota series?

spiffie
08-24-2006, 03:19 PM
When we left Chicago for this road trip we were in a position where we would be in the playoffs if the season ended that day. Going back to Chicago we are still in that same position. Two more series have passed and we are still in the lead for a playoff spot. Sure we would like a 7-0 or 6-1 trip, but we're still where we need to be with 7 less games to go.

CaptainBallz
08-24-2006, 03:21 PM
Not a success.

The lifeless play that we were seeing throughout the trip can't be overshadowed by the last two wins.

If they had beat up on Boof and actually showed up for the first two games in Detroit (even w/ losses) I'd feel different.

This trip was a letdown, but let's hope they can keep this ship right for a while now.

BadBobbyJenks
08-24-2006, 03:21 PM
We are leaving Dtown with all the momentum and they have a tough 6 games on the road. I call it a success with how we left detoilet the last 2 games.

No let down tomorrow, got to have that game

MadetoOrta
08-24-2006, 03:23 PM
No!

CYGarland20
08-24-2006, 03:27 PM
Before this trip started i was hoping for them to go 5-2, but i would have been satisfied with 4-3. As for 3-4, that's the least i would have liked them to go, so i wouldn't call it a success. Adequate is the word that comes to mind.

Hitmen77
08-24-2006, 03:28 PM
Detroit managed to knock another week off the calendar while maintaining their 5.5 game lead. Also, didn't we start this road trip 3 games ahead of the Twins? Now it's 1 game and may be back to 0.5 games if the Twins can beat the lowly O's tonight. Definitely not a success.

If we can avoid a disaster against the Twins this weekend, we have a good chance of gaining more ground on Detroit when we play TB and they play the Yankees next week.

CHIsoxNation
08-24-2006, 03:29 PM
No!

Any road trip with a losing record isn't considered a success, IMO.

BadBobbyJenks
08-24-2006, 03:31 PM
well not technically of course. But as for the pysche of the team after these last 2 games I say yes.

BainesHOF
08-24-2006, 03:31 PM
Not a success, but at least it wasn't a disaster.

Since Minnesota is tied with us in the loss column at the moment, I consider us to be tied.

Shift
08-24-2006, 03:32 PM
Let's see...left for Minnesoa up by 2 and return up by .5. Hmmmmm

Ol' No. 2
08-24-2006, 03:39 PM
Detroit managed to knock another week off the calendar while maintaining their 5.5 game lead. Also, didn't we start this road trip 3 games ahead of the Twins? Now it's 1 game and may be back to 0.5 games if the Twins can beat the lowly O's tonight. Definitely not a success.

If we can avoid a disaster against the Twins this weekend, we have a good chance of gaining more ground on Detroit when we play TB and they play the Yankees next week.Exactly. Put yourself in the Tiggers' place. They left town a week and a half ago up by 5.5 games. They've burned 11 games off the schedule and have the same lead. If I were in their place, I'd be feeling pretty good about that, particularly since they didn't play well.

mrfourni
08-24-2006, 04:13 PM
I wouldn't call it a success, but it certainly ended better than I thought it would.

If they can stay hot, will people look at these 2 games as a turning point?

35th&Shields
08-24-2006, 04:40 PM
Detroit series was fine with me...but, the Minn series was a real downer. All we did was give them confidence and put them closer to the wild card chase.
I agree, I figured we'd split 2-2 at Detroit, but I really wanted to go into Minny and take 2 of 3 or sweep. All in all, two days ago I was worried, and now feel much better. Especially after today when we absolutely took it to the Kittens. Way to go Big Jon Garland. Bad ass performance.

Senerch23
08-24-2006, 04:41 PM
Exactly. Put yourself in the Tiggers' place. They left town a week and a half ago up by 5.5 games. They've burned 11 games off the schedule and have the same lead. If I were in their place, I'd be feeling pretty good about that, particularly since they didn't play well.

This is true but look how quickly the Tigers lead got up to 10 and then back down to 5.5. I think the Sox were 2 back at the All Star Break so all this has happened in about 5 1/2 weeks.

Next week will be key when the Tigers are in NY and the Sox host the Devil Rays, who are a much different team on the road. It should be a great chance to gain some ground and put more pressure on the Tigers.

StillMissOzzie
08-24-2006, 04:42 PM
I have to say no too. They lost what arguably could have been the easiest game of the seven to the immortal Boof Bonser, losing ground to the Twinkies in the process. As ON2 has pointed out, the Kittens tore another week off the schedule without losing any ground either.

SMO
:angry:

35th&Shields
08-24-2006, 04:43 PM

There's 35 games left and 3 of them are directly against the Tigers. 5.5 games is still manageable. The Tigers gave us fits the first two games, but we got up off the mat and swung hard. I think, to continue the boxing analogy, that we put the Tigers back down on the mat.

I want Mags back
08-24-2006, 04:48 PM
wasnt a success, but ill take it for now

Bob G
08-24-2006, 04:53 PM
Not a success - we lost too much ground to the Twinkies and our starting rotation is still too inconsistent. Jon seems to be the only guy we can depend on right now...

We need to start playing like a playoff team with consistent pitching and solid defense

Ol' No. 2
08-24-2006, 04:54 PM
This is true but look how quickly the Tigers lead got up to 10 and then back down to 5.5. I think the Sox were 2 back at the All Star Break so all this has happened in about 5 1/2 weeks.

Next week will be key when the Tigers are in NY and the Sox host the Devil Rays, who are a much different team on the road. It should be a great chance to gain some ground and put more pressure on the Tigers.No doubt things can change quickly. The Tiggers have won only 1 of their last 5 series. In that time they were 6-11, giving the Sox a golden opportunity. Over the same period the Sox went 10-8, gaining only 3.5 games, and all but 0.5 game was in the three-game sweep. They can't afford to burn large chunks of schedule without gaining ground - that just moves the Tiggers closer.

They are 5.5 back with about the same number of weeks to play. The math is pretty simple.

dickallen15
08-24-2006, 08:24 PM
The roadtrip wasn't a disaster, but it certainly wasn't successful. Detroit knocked games off the schedule, and now only have to play the team its least successful against 3 more times. The Sox lost ground to Minnesota, and this weekend is going to be tough considering the pitching match-ups. I have a feeling the Sox will win 2 of these games, but it wouldn't surprise me if they lost 2 or all 3. Detroit has another thing going for them as well. 6 of their last 9 are against KC, a team they have no problem with. BTW did anyone see the footage channel 5 had of Hawk on Detroit television? He basically conceded the Central to the Tigers.

jenn2080
08-24-2006, 08:28 PM
I would not go out on the limb and say it was a success but it was not god aweful either. todays game was great...not because of the runs so much but because of the pitching and the defense. I also dont want to go out and disappoint myself and say we are on a streak but it sure would be nice.

JB98
08-24-2006, 08:43 PM
You will never hear me call a 3-4 trip a success. It could have been much worse. We were fortunate to salvage it.

Tragg
08-24-2006, 08:56 PM
Maybe it's the good vibes from the last two games, but I don't feel so bad about going 3-4...I know we could have done a hell of a lot better, but Hawk pointed out that overall, we left home 6.5 back, and we're returning home 5.5 back. Thoughts?
No it wasn't a success. WE went 3-4. It wasn't a disaster, though.
I think Detroit's playing poorly...while I'm happy we rebounded with 2 wins, they are an extremely beatable team right now.
We really need a sweep this weekend.

Jurr
08-24-2006, 09:13 PM
All it did was keep Detroit close enough to be caught IF the Sox get another run in them.

Now, this series coming up reminds me of all of those HUGE Minnesota series of 2002-2004. I missed that severe rivalry in 2005. It's on.

If the Sox come out and put it on Minnesota to the tune of 2 or 3 wins, they can feel good about themselves going into an early September of Tampa, KC, Boston, and Cleveland.

STRETCH!!!
08-24-2006, 10:24 PM
A success would mean we made a move - we didn't.

A failure would mean we fell out of a playoff spot (if the season were to end today) - we didn't

It feels to me as if we treaded water on this road trip.

Oh for an 9 game winning streak, a "normal" Buerhle, and a red hot Konerko.

PeteWard
08-24-2006, 11:45 PM
All it did was keep Detroit close enough to be caught IF the Sox get another run in them.

Now, this series coming up reminds me of all of those HUGE Minnesota series of 2002-2004. I missed that severe rivalry in 2005. It's on.

If the Sox come out and put it on Minnesota to the tune of 2 or 3 wins, they can feel good about themselves going into an early September of Tampa, KC, Boston, and Cleveland.

Sox have to win this Minny series. Third place awaits if they don't.

The road trip? Definitely not a success. But as I wrote before the today, if the Sox get the split, they are in the thick of the Division race and Det may look back on this day with regret.

batmanZoSo
08-25-2006, 12:12 AM
Both are washes if you ask me. Minnesota is dominant at home and Santana's always an automatic loss. We got away with one and retained the lead, good enough, move on.

As for Detroit, yeah it was a letdown, but you can't expect to beat them every time. They were due and hey, the best they got was a split. We'll just have to get them when they come back to Chicago, same with Sota starting tomorrow.

We're 11-5 against Detroit on the year, we've done all we possibly can in that regard. You can't ask for better than that. It's our play against the rest of the league that's killed us.

Beer Can Chicken
08-25-2006, 12:21 AM
Although I'm happy splitting the series with 8-mile, realistically, our best chance is the wild card. But we lost ground in that race so I wouldnt consider it a success.

D. TODD
08-25-2006, 09:04 AM
Not a success nor a failure. We need 2 out of 3 at least from the Twinkies though.

AnkleSox
08-25-2006, 02:49 PM
I really think they need to sweep the hated twinkies. 3.5 up on them would feel way better than 1.5. The sox need to show those mother****ers how baseball is played on a REAL baseball field.