PDA

View Full Version : Now we know why Crede got his nickname

Iwritecode
08-24-2006, 03:43 PM
Tiger fans nick-named Crede "Satan".

From Downey's column in the Cubune:

No opponent of the Tigers has hit more home runs than Crede since this park was built. He has 14 here and 20 in his career against Detroit.

He hit .341 against Detroit last season. This year he is 18-for-51 (.353) against them with five home runs

:o:

Just today he was also involved in the only 5-7-3 put-out any of us will likely ever witness in our lives.

credefan24
08-24-2006, 04:17 PM
Joe Randar would have hit more.

I like Joe Crede.

Britt Burns
08-24-2006, 04:20 PM
Like the nickname, although I am pretty sure Tim McCarver is actually Satan.

slobes
08-24-2006, 04:21 PM
Just today he was also involved in the only 5-7-3 put-out any of us will likely ever witness in our lives.

I didn't see any of the game, how did this happen?!

IlliniSox4Life
08-24-2006, 04:25 PM

Casey lined the ball at Crede, he jumped up to catch it, but it hit the top of his glove and kept rolling into the outfield. Casey thought he caught it so stopped running. Pablo runs in, barehands the ball, Casey realizes and starts running again, Pablo throws and the ball beats Casey to first by about an inch.

MarySwiss
08-24-2006, 04:27 PM

Casey hit the ball hard to Crede who jumped and had it hit off the top of his glove. Casey thought it was caught and headed back to the dugout, then realized what had happened and began to run to first. Meanwhile, Pablo Ozuna had picked up the ball, and he threw a strike to first. No cutoff, great throw absolutely on the money.

Casey was not a happy camper.

Iwritecode
08-24-2006, 04:27 PM

I didn't see it either. I read it in "From the Cubicle" on the Cubune's website.

Casey lines a single off Crede's glove. Check that. Casey does not run, thinking Crede caught it, and Pablo Ozuna throws him out from left field.

Casey turned around and started to spike his helmet into the ground before he realized the ball went into left field.

That didn't bounce out of Crede's glove; it tipped off the very top of it.

StillMissOzzie
08-24-2006, 05:35 PM
Joe Randar would have hit more.

I like Joe Crede.

I think you mean Joe Randa, as if the whole line shouldn't have been in teal.

Randar (actually, Randar68) is a longtime member of WSI.

Like the nickname, although I am pretty sure Tim McCarver is actually Satan.
Or Scott Bora$.

SMO
:D:

credefan24
08-24-2006, 05:40 PM
I think you mean Joe Randa, as if the whole line shouldn't have been in teal.

Randar (actually, Randar68) is a longtime member of WSI.

Or Scott Boro$.

SMO
:D:

Thanks. I did mean Randa, and I did mean to put it in teal!! Thanks for the pickup.

batmanZoSo
08-24-2006, 05:49 PM
Interesting, I never really picked up on that. Some serious pwnage there.

I was wondering the other day about all these certain players that invariably kill us every time and what players we have that other fans particularly dread. Crede in Detroit is one of them.

Ol' No. 2
08-24-2006, 06:02 PM
Bobby Frikkin' Higginson

2002-05: BA/OBP/SLG/OPS: .235/.331/.370/.701
vs CHW: .287/.433/.584/1.017

We're just getting even.

digdagdug23
08-24-2006, 06:56 PM
Here's the thing, though. The shot off the bat of Casey was a liner, but about 3 feet above Crede's head, and to his left. When they say 'liner' it makes me think right to him, chest high, very deceptive wording. It deflected off the top webbing of Crede's glove and slowly rolls to LF. Now, at that point, with the way the play looked on TV, I don't understand why he didn't keep running. It looked to me as if he saw it going towards 'satan' and stopped before seeing how the play developed. I loved the fact that Pablo followed through with the play, and it begs the question (and I am NOT ragging on Pods) but, would Scotty have followed through on that play, or let him reach base? Discuss amongst yourselves. :redneck

Anyway you cut it, 5-7-3 put out is something I have never seen, regardless of what level of the game I have watched. That it happened to the Tigers, with us as the executioners, makes me giddy as a schoolgirl.

paciorek1983
08-24-2006, 10:24 PM
I really don't like that name at all. If they only knew what they were saying.:(:

sbinsc
08-25-2006, 07:43 AM
Casey hit the ball hard to Crede who jumped and had it hit off the top of his glove. Casey thought it was caught and headed back to the dugout, then realized what had happened and began to run to first. Meanwhile, Pablo Ozuna had picked up the ball, and he threw a strike to first. No cutoff, great throw absolutely on the money.

Casey was not a happy camper.

Don't forget what a great stretch is was by Gload to complete the play. :bandance:

Fake Chet Lemon
08-25-2006, 08:51 AM
That's a horrible nickname, hope it doesn't stick. I can think of about 1billion better names.

rdwj
08-25-2006, 10:27 AM
...it begs the question (and I am NOT ragging on Pods) but, would Scotty have followed through on that play, or let him reach base?

He may have tried, but Pods doesn't have the arm to make that play

digdagdug23
08-25-2006, 10:34 AM
That's a horrible nickname, hope it doesn't stick. I can think of about 1billion better names.

Honestly, who cares? It's not like our own fans use it to describe him. it's Detroit for sobbing out loud, I would expect nothing less.

As an aside, it was ALL the talk on ESPN last night, and the commentators who did the web gems and gave BA #1 for his laid out catch, said while it was a great catch, how is the 5-7-3 put out not there instead? It was the first time I actually agreed with what they were saying. Actually, if I remember correctly, 3 of the top 5 gems were from the game, and the 5-7-3 was played, played, and re-played about 50 times when I was watching. AND I also heard them giving major props to Baby J, and throwing his name up for AL MVP. Whoa, Nelly!

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-25-2006, 11:28 AM
Tiger fans nick-named Crede "Satan".

Let's stay away from the evil names, change a few letters, and call him Santa.

Every day with him at 3rd is like Christmas.

Fake Chet Lemon
08-25-2006, 11:49 AM
As an aside, it was ALL the talk on ESPN last night, and the commentators who did the web gems and gave BA #1 for his laid out catch, said while it was a great catch, how is the 5-7-3 put out not there instead? It was the first time I actually agreed with what they were saying. Actually, if I remember correctly, 3 of the top 5 gems were from the game, and the 5-7-3 was played, played, and re-played about 50 times when I was watching. AND I also heard them giving major props to Baby J, and throwing his name up for AL MVP. Whoa, Nelly!

BBTN was really, really enjoyable last night. Amazing how they pay attention to other teams when the Yankees and Red Sox don't have games yet that day available to recap.

esbrechtel
08-25-2006, 02:11 PM
yeah...bbtn was great last night, better than sports center who spent two days talking about big papi's irregular heartbeat after he was cleared to play...

my5thbench
08-25-2006, 03:02 PM
the best part was the look on Casey's face &.....his throwing of his helmet &.
I would imagine that he had some"splainin' to do" when he got back to the dugout......ouch

miker
08-25-2006, 04:39 PM
If Crede is Satan, Detroiters would know seeing as that they are living in Hell...