PDA

View Full Version : Does Contreras miss El Duque?

TheDarkGundam
08-24-2006, 01:15 PM
I don't know if anyone's brought this up before, if they have, my apologies.
We all know Contreras hasn't been at the top of his game lately, and I'm reminded of a quote from Phil Rogers' "Say It's So" book:
Contreras had only recently been reunited with his wife in New York. He was confused by the trade and saddened that he would not have Hernandez as a teammate.
"I never expected that," Contreras said of his trade to the White Sox. "I was devastated because El Duque had just gotten there. I thought he was going to help me. He was sad about it too." This is from when Jose got traded to the Sox. He was upset that he wouldn't get to play with Duque in New York.
Could the reason Jose has been a little off lately be that he misses having El Duque as a teammate?

soltrain21
08-24-2006, 01:17 PM
No offense, Jose....but suck it up. Did he not make any friends on the team last year? They all seemed to get along great.

edit - I understand this is from him being traded from NY, but if it is a problem here.....well....it shouldn't be.

zmz723
08-24-2006, 01:18 PM
I doubt it, he was lights out before going on the dl, and has sucked it up for the most part since coming off of the dl.

Iwritecode
08-24-2006, 01:19 PM
I don't know if anyone's brought this up before, if they have, my apologies.
We all know Contreras hasn't been at the top of his game lately, and I'm reminded of a quote from Phil Rogers' "Say It's So" book:
This is from when Jose got traded to the Sox. He was upset that he wouldn't get to play with Duque in New York.
Could the reason Jose has been a little off lately be that he misses having El Duque as a teammate?

Pre AS break he went 9 - 0 with a 3.38 ERA and a .237 BAA.

Post AS break he's gone 2 - 6 with a 5.37 ERA and a .265 BAA.

If he's been missing El Duque, it's just recently...

BainesHOF
08-24-2006, 01:21 PM
I miss El Duque.

Baby Fisk
08-24-2006, 01:32 PM
According to the article cited in this thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=73798&highlight=cooper+spanish), everything was hunky dory for Jose as recently as June. He was pitching like an ace, he was working to his own program with a pitching coach who communicates with him in Spanish. I can't see how the absence of El Duque is the cause of Jose's sudden lapse.

Ol' No. 2
08-24-2006, 01:39 PM
I doubt it, he was lights out before going on the dl, and has sucked it up for the most part since coming off of the dl.I wonder if his back still isn't quite right?

itsnotrequired
08-24-2006, 01:40 PM
He probably misses his old glasses.

soxfan13
08-24-2006, 01:41 PM
I doubt it, he was lights out before going on the dl, and has sucked it up for the most part since coming off of the dl.

I agree, didnt look like he was missing him much the first 2 months of the season.

DickAllen72
08-24-2006, 06:28 PM
I miss El Duque.

Me too.

BadBobbyJenks
08-24-2006, 06:33 PM
Pre AS break he went 9 - 0 with a 3.38 ERA and a .237 BAA.

thank you for finding that stat so I didnt have to...

Give me a break, if we are going to use an El Duque excuse at this point in the season

08-24-2006, 06:49 PM
I'll give you 30 million reasons why he shouldn't miss him.....

HITMEN OF 77
08-24-2006, 06:52 PM
Me too.

Me three. I'd take El Duque over Vazquez anyday.

08-24-2006, 07:04 PM

I don't know guys...I know he will forever be loved for his performance in Boston...but he was 9-9 with an era over 5 at the end of the year with 2 DL trips....

digdagdug23
08-24-2006, 07:10 PM
I don't know guys...I know he will forever be loved for his performance in Boston...but he was 9-9 with an era over 5 at the end of the year with 2 DL trips....

Yeah but his name was so much fun to say. Say it with me Ellllllllllll Duuuuuuuuuuu Kaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy. Doesn't it just roll off the tongue? I thought so.

soxinem1
08-24-2006, 07:21 PM
I agree, didnt look like he was missing him much the first 2 months of the season.

He didn't seem to miss him when he signed that nice, big contract extension either...

Lip Man 1
08-24-2006, 08:09 PM
No

Lip

Gregory Pratt
08-25-2006, 12:07 AM
No

Lip

Wrong answer.

Anyone who says that Contreras doesn't miss El Duque is worthy of ridicule. I'm sure Crede misses Rowand, and Buehrle would miss Garland.

Fact is, Contreras and El Duque share a special bond as Cuban exiles. You don't even have to ask him, "Do you miss El Duque" because the answer is simple. Yes.

On the other hand, there's no way that Duque's absence is responsible for his sudden issues. When he's getting lit up, you know it from his motions. He's stiff, and has trouble dropping down. You can see it in his appearance, and if his back's hurting him, he's not going to do well.

Hell, against the Tigers his last time out, Monday, I told my friend Christopher, "He's going to get lit up. Look at him. He's stiff and not feeling it, I can tell." And, lo and behold, it happened. Jose's just the type of guy whose motions are very visible and you can see how he's feeling in his back.

However, I don't think Contreras has been so bad as his record indicates. He pitched well enough to win us several games had the offense not been sleeping, and his ERA was inflated by a few bad outings. I think that, in addition to problems dropping down, he's had some concentration issues. That, too, is very visible when he's pitching. He doesn't lose focus or get grumpy on the mound very often, but when he does, you know it, and it's never good.

I don't worry about Jose, though. Contreras is a gamer in ways that only escaping your home country and being an exile can make you.

And, if it were up to me, Contreras would start all of our Game Ones in the playoffs, followed by Garcia if we're away, and then Buehrle/Garland if we're home, THEN Freddy.

Chips
08-25-2006, 12:17 AM
Wrong answer.

Anyone who says that Contreras doesn't miss El Duque is worthy of ridicule. I'm sure Crede misses Rowand, and Buehrle would miss Garland.

:rolleyes:

Contreras won nine games to start the season without El Duque on the team.

Crede is kicking ass this year without Rowand on the team.

Lip was right.

Gregory Pratt
08-25-2006, 12:22 AM
:rolleyes:

Contreras won nine games to start the season without El Duque on the team.

Crede is kicking ass this year without Rowand on the team.

Lip was right.

You make my heart go pitter-pat when you roll your eyes like that. :redface:

Clearly, you didn't read my post. I said that Contreras misses El Duque for sure as a person and that saying he doesn't is like saying Crede doesn't miss Rowand. In addition, I said it was equally silly to say that Contreras' problems are from missing Orlando. They clearly aren't, and I said as much. I said more than that, actually, but thanks for taking words out of my post.

Sorry to have brought nuance into your world. ;)

soxgirl617
08-25-2006, 03:15 PM

Me four. I miss Duque. I still hope that Vazquez can turn it around, but I miss Duque.

DaleJRFan
08-25-2006, 03:25 PM
Me four. I miss Duque. I still hope that Vazquez can turn it around, but I miss Duque.

...then you are nuts. El Duque would have a 7+ ERA in the ALC and would have mostlikely been on the DL 3 times already this season.