PDA

View Full Version : Schmidt or Zito?

DumpJerry
08-23-2006, 11:54 PM
On BBTN, they analyzed what they call are the biggest FA starting pitchers from each league and asked which one would you want on your team?

That's easy-Zito. Here's why:
1. lefty
2. younger
3.AMERICAN LEAGUE PITCHER

Should KW go after Zito? Who would he replace in the rotation presuming that McCarthy is in the rotation next year. I think Contreras and Garland are untouchable, so that would leave Buehrle and Garcia? Can we part with them or will Buehrle become the Buehrle we know and love?

BadBobbyJenks
08-23-2006, 11:57 PM
Id pick Zito, but No Way.

Cant have that much money in the rotation and one of the new york teams is going to hand him a ridiculous amount of cash.

edit: I loved schmitty in pitt, would have loved to gone after him years ago. Not sure how old he is now, but I dont want him now.

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-24-2006, 12:05 AM
If I HAD to pick, Zito for sure, but otherwise neither. Zito is too much, plus he's not the type of player Williams goes after. I'm a real big fan of Bradon Webb, but I don't see the D-backs giving him up. I really don't know, who would you guys want (realistically) in our rotation next year?

MUsoxfan
08-24-2006, 12:09 AM
I'd take Zito but not for his asking price. He's a fine pitcher, nothing more

Hunker down
08-24-2006, 12:15 AM
Get rid of Garcia and Vazquez. The money you have saved bring in Zito and McCarthy's your 5th starter.:gulp:

PalehosePlanet
08-24-2006, 12:21 AM
KW likes both pitchers ALOT, so anything is possible. Others he'll target are Dontrelle Willis, Jake Peavy and possibly Roy Oswalt.

soxfanreggie
08-24-2006, 12:24 AM
There are a good amount of quality pitchers open, but we have to be aggressive if we want one. Some of their teams are going to make pitches to keep them, and you always have to compete with the Yankees, Mets, and Red Sox. However, it would help if we could say, "Come join the 2005 and 2006 World Champions."

Chicken Dinner
08-24-2006, 12:52 AM
I don't want either one on our club.

TheOldRoman
08-24-2006, 01:16 AM
Zito's biggest problem - :bong:
If he leaves that behind in Oakland, his numbers might improve.

Zito is a GOOD pitcher, but he hasn't been GREAT for a few years now. Since he is young, lefthanded, has won a Cy Young, and his agent is Scott Boras, he will command a monster deal. Honestly, look at the deal an unproven guy like AJ Burnett got this past offseason -5 years/ $55 million. If I had to guess, Zito will get 5 years/ $80 million. The Yankees, Mets, and possibly Angels are going to go all out to get him, and someone will grossly overpay. As I said, he is a very good pitcher, but you aren't going to get him for anything close to a reasonable value. Therefore, it isn't even worth Kenny's time to give Boras a call on him.

As for Schmidt, I don't know. I haven't seen him pitch this year, and I haven't heard much about him. His WHIP and ERA look good this year, but I don't think he has the same velocity as in the past. Add a run to his ERA (NL-AL conversion), and I am not so sure he will be worth what he gets on the market, either.

soxfanatlanta
08-24-2006, 07:48 AM
If I had to choose, I'd take Zito on his age alone. Both pitchers benefit from their home ballparks, and I think that their performance would decline once they got out of the Bay area (see Hudson, Mulder).

Malgar 12
08-24-2006, 07:52 AM
Get rid of Garcia and Vazquez. The money you have saved bring in Zito and McCarthy's your 5th starter.:gulp:

The way those 2 are pitching you'll need to include cash to find a taker

Madvora
08-24-2006, 08:41 AM
If there's a good starting pitcher out there, you better believe KW is going to give him a look. Don't underestimate what KW can pull off. He'll definitely try for these guys.

BigPapaPump
08-24-2006, 09:41 AM
What about Mark Prior? Given his recent trouble staying off the DL he could be a steal. Put him with Cooper to fix his mechanics and he could return as another ace in our rotation.

dickallen15
08-24-2006, 09:44 AM
The White Sox have a policy of not giving pitchers more than a 3 year contract. Its actually a pretty wise policy. The problem with it is it pretty much eliminates them from signing any big name free agent starters. Neither Zito or Schmidt will be signing with the White Sox.

dickallen15
08-24-2006, 09:45 AM
What about Mark Prior? Given his recent trouble staying off the DL he could be a steal. Put him with Cooper to fix his mechanics and he could return as another ace in our rotation.

Cooper is having a difficult time fixing what he has. There is no indication he could do anything to improve Prior unless he's been taking classes on performing heart transplants in the off season.

mrwag
08-24-2006, 10:02 AM

An NL pitcher with a flaky history needs to stay away from the AL. He'd get lit every night, if he wasn't on the DL.

soxinem1
08-24-2006, 10:18 AM
KW likes both pitchers ALOT, so anything is possible. Others he'll target are Dontrelle Willis, Jake Peavy and possibly Roy Oswalt.

Funny you say that, as I was watching the Astros-Reds game yesterday, I was thinking of reuniting Garcia with the Houston organization, and Oswalt being in a White Sox uniform.

Something tells me a major housecleaning will transpire in Houston.......

PatK
08-24-2006, 10:52 AM
Zito, because of age and Schmidt's history of injury.

I'm also a big fan of Brandon Webb, and would love to see him here. Being a sinkerballer, he'd do well in The Cell.

Lip Man 1
08-24-2006, 10:59 AM
The point is moot anyway because Zito's agent is Scott Boras. He won't be coming to the White Sox.

Lip

DaleJRFan
08-24-2006, 11:08 AM
The Sox need to move a starter to make some room payrole-wise for Crede, Dye & Iguchi if they choose to keep them around past 07, etc... I find it hard to believe that the Sox will be adding more payrole and long-term deals for free agents.

Zito would be a badass addition though. Imagine this rotation:

Contreras
Zito
Garland
Buehrle
McCarthy

:o: Yikes!!!

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-24-2006, 06:44 PM
Zito, because of age and Schmidt's history of injury.

I'm also a big fan of Brandon Webb, and would love to see him here. Being a sinkerballer, he'd do well in The Cell.

Beat ya to it Pat! :D:

I'm a real big fan of Bradon Webb, but I don't see the D-backs giving him up.

Tragg
08-24-2006, 06:59 PM
Funny you say that, as I was watching the Astros-Reds game yesterday, I was thinking of reuniting Garcia with the Houston organization, and Oswalt being in a White Sox uniform.

Something tells me a major housecleaning will transpire in Houston....... It probably will, but he and Berkman are really their only 2 top flight players. They'll probably try to keep those and pawn off some others to the unsuspecting.
Biggio's really been running that team for the last 10 years, and he may retire (but probably not)...not sure how biggio will want to remake the team.
If we insist on getting rid of Uribe, they might be a good candidate....say what you want about his bat, but Uribe sure hits better than Adam Everett. Their bottom t3 of Ausmus, Everett and a pitcher has killed the Astros for years.

I don't think either Zito or Schmidt is worth primo money (although Schmidt pitches more like a primo pitcher than Zito, imo).

I would definitely take a flyer on Prior at a reasonable price.

kitekrazy
08-24-2006, 07:32 PM
The Sox need to move a starter to make some room payrole-wise for Crede, Dye & Iguchi if they choose to keep them around past 07, etc... I find it hard to believe that the Sox will be adding more payrole and long-term deals for free agents.

Zito would be a badass addition though. Imagine this rotation:

Contreras
Zito
Garland
Buehrle
McCarthy

:o: Yikes!!!

Yes, but who ever thought the Sox would ever have the current payroll this high?

You never know.

buehrle4cy05
08-24-2006, 09:35 PM

Something tells me a major housecleaning will transpire in Houston.......

Screw the whole NL/AL thing, Oswalt can flat out pitch.

Be still, my heart....

A. Cavatica
08-24-2006, 11:08 PM
He'd get lit every night

I think you mean he'd get lit up every night. Unless you're talking about Freddy... :redneck

Domeshot17
08-25-2006, 10:09 AM
(1) I think when Prior changes teams, so will his pitching. I think as soon as he gets out of the north side, you will see the same USC stud you did in college. It has to be tough, playing for a winning team every year of your life, go to a team that makes the playoffs once in your career.

(2) Zito will want too much $$ as said, He is a yankee or my sleeper team pick, Baltimore

(3) Freddy won't bring us back Oswalt. It would have to be some combo of Freddy-Sweeney-Rogowski and that might not even get it done

Brandon Webb makes 4.9 million a year, if the Dbacks deal him, which i don't even think they would listen, it would cost the entire farm.

Chicken Dinner
08-25-2006, 11:18 AM
The point is moot anyway because Zito's agent is Scott Boras. He won't be coming to the White Sox.

Lip

Yepper.