PDA

View Full Version : The Big Frank Countdown to 500 Thread!!!

gobears1987
08-23-2006, 10:44 PM
Frank Thomas hit HR #475. He is now 25 away from the big 500. Let's use this thread as a countdown to that historic achievement for the greatest player in Sox franchise history.

I understand and agree with KW in his decision to not keep him, but I stil just wish he could get to the achievement in black and silver.

25 to go!!!

MadetoOrta
08-23-2006, 10:57 PM
Great idea for a thread. In many ways when it happens I'll be :smile: but in my heart I'll be :whiner: because I wanted it to happen with the Sox. Good business decision but I'll always remember him as the greatest non-steroid hitter of the steroid era.

Kub_Killer_15
08-23-2006, 11:10 PM
Big Frank was on the Sox my whole life it feels wierd with out him but its good to know Oakland is treating him wit respect. LETS GO BIG FRANK :bandance:

soltrain21
08-23-2006, 11:21 PM
gah...I have mixed emotions about this.

Good luck, big guy...but boy does this sting.

Dibbs
08-23-2006, 11:42 PM
Good idea for a thread....if it were 2007. I love Frank more than anyone, but he will not hit 500 this year. There is already a Frank thread that has been going on for months.

27 hr, 75 rbi, .268 avg.....not bad!!!

southwstchi4life
08-23-2006, 11:48 PM
No sting for me. My fav player of all time. He deserves all the praise in the world. Now I not defending what comes out of his mouth many timz. But I believe he got a bad rep cause he didnt suck up to the media people. which is FINE with me. Media people remind me of cocky , arrogant people, who ae not very knowldgeable of the game. I remember being a child in old comisky and when Frank Thomas came up to bat the stadium went silent. He is the man. I also remember Frank Thomas at sox fest one year signing autographs for a hr 1/2 longer then schedualed to do, by his own will. but I never heard stories like that in the media. 500 on the way, and can'r wait to see Big 35 retired ina sox in the hall of fame and hanging in the cell up there with otehr greats.

ondafarm
08-24-2006, 12:43 AM
The good thing about Frank playing for the A's is that he has another media (the Bay area's media) backing him for the HOF. It's quite unlike the Chicago media, especially Moronotti, who bashed the big guy without reason. If I ever hear him accuse Frank of "base-clogging" again . . .

Frank was simply the best hitter ever to wear a White Sox uniform.

The Bay area media is quite supportive of Frank and seems universally to report that he belongs in the HOF.

TheDarkGundam
08-24-2006, 12:51 AM
Good idea for a thread....if it were 2007. I love Frank more than anyone, but he will not hit 500 this year. There is already a Frank thread that has been going on for months.

27 hr, 75 rbi, .268 avg.....not bad!!!
Exactly what I thought.
I don't think he can get 25 homers before the end of the season.
If he somehow did though, then there'd be one more reason for him to be in the HOF.

southside rocks
08-24-2006, 07:45 AM
I'll cheer Frank's 500th. He's a star, no matter what uniform he wears. Every time I read about that slime Barry Bonds, it heartens me to think about Frank Thomas, the guy who does it for real.

Madvora
08-24-2006, 08:50 AM
Would the A's be looking to unload him to fill in for Thome for about a week or so?

Oblong
08-24-2006, 08:51 AM
I really admire the way you guys hang on to former Sox players. I think you are unique in that regard. I do not see it on other fan boards.

TornLabrum
08-24-2006, 09:00 AM
I really admire the way you guys hang on to former Sox players. I think you are unique in that regard. I do not see it on other fan boards.

This doesn't happen for everyone. There is a completely illogical love for Aaron Rowand on this board, but he's pretty much unique in that respect.

Thomas is another matter. He is the best player most of us have seen wearing a Sox uniform in our lifetime.

spiffie
08-24-2006, 10:34 AM
This doesn't happen for everyone. There is a completely illogical love for Aaron Rowand on this board, but he's pretty much unique in that respect.

Thomas is another matter. He is the best player most of us have seen wearing a Sox uniform in our lifetime.
I think the Rowand love is a symptom of the same illness that has people making posts talking about how the Sox are better off with Thome being injured. Because we did so well last year, and sold the concept of "grinder ball" so well to people, they began to believe that as long as guys really like each other and can lay down a bunt and hustle that its a guaranteed path to the World Series. And Rowand was the personification of that idea that if you just play really really hard it doesn't matter how good or bad you are, that hustle and desire will be plenty to succeed with.

Jjav829
08-24-2006, 10:40 AM
I think the Rowand love is a symptom of the same illness that has people making posts talking about how the Sox are better off with Thome being injured. Because we did so well last year, and sold the concept of "grinder ball" so well to people, they began to believe that as long as guys really like each other and can lay down a bunt and hustle that its a guaranteed path to the World Series. And Rowand was the personification of that idea that if you just play really really hard it doesn't matter how good or bad you are, that hustle and desire will be plenty to succeed with.

The Rowand love is really simple. He was a fan favorite on the first White Sox team to win a World Series since 1917. And then he was traded. And a lot of those people who liked Rowand when he was here decided against saying, "Oh well, he's no longer a White Sox so **** him."

I still don't understand why some people find this hard to understand. If a guy is one of your favorite players, but then gets traded somewhere else, are you supposed to stop liking him? Apparently you are supposed to to some...

gobears1987
08-24-2006, 10:59 AM
Exactly what I thought.
I don't think he can get 25 homers before the end of the season.
If he somehow did though, then there'd be one more reason for him to be in the HOF.I know he won't, but 25 is a good number to start the countdown at. We can continue this thread into next season.

Britt Burns
08-24-2006, 11:05 AM
It will be bittersweet to see Frank get 500 next year with Oakland (or wherever he winds up). Maybe if the cards fall the right way he gan get #600 in a Sox uniform sometime in 2009:tongue:

Palehose13
08-24-2006, 11:07 AM
The Rowand love is really simple. He was a fan favorite on the first White Sox team to win a World Series since 1917. And then he was traded. And a lot of those people who liked Rowand when he was here decided against saying, "Oh well, he's no longer a White Sox so **** him."

I still don't understand why some people find this hard to understand. If a guy is one of your favorite players, but then gets traded somewhere else, are you supposed to stop liking him? Apparently you are supposed to to some...

Thanks Jjav.

I am a huge fan of Rowand and the main reason was that he was such a great guy to the fans. Everytime I met him, had a drink with him, etc. he seemedto be genuine. He really loved to be a part of the White Sox organization. It's not that I would rather have him than Thome, but I appreciate what he did while here and that he was a stand-up guy. I wish him the best of luck. With that said...

Go Big Frank!!!

spiffie
08-24-2006, 11:08 AM

I still like Aaron Rowand. He plays baseball the way the game is supposed to be traded. I'm referring more to the folks who constantly try to come up with scenarios to bring him back, deride Anderson in comparison to Rowand, bring him up as often as possible, and in some quarters express regret they ever traded him for Thome. That last sentiment, while not very strong here, is seen a lot in other places of Sox fandom, especially among younger fans on the web.

southside rocks
08-24-2006, 12:41 PM
Because we did so well last year, and sold the concept of "grinder ball" so well to people, they began to believe that as long as guys really like each other and can lay down a bunt and hustle that its a guaranteed path to the World Series. And Rowand was the personification of that idea that if you just play really really hard it doesn't matter how good or bad you are, that hustle and desire will be plenty to succeed with.

You are probably correct in that. I like Rowand a lot, to the point where I'll watch a Phillies game if there is one on (I saw his crash earlier this week and was very sorry to see it) -- he will always remind me of the 2005 White Sox, because he was such a visible and joyous part of that team.

I've never thought the Rowand/Thome trade was anything but good, for both teams, though, and I've never for one second thought that the 2006 White Sox are where they are because of Rowand's absence.

I love Aaron Rowand's personality and style of play, and I respect the heck out of Frank Thomas -- he's a sure Hall of Famer. How anyone could not respect his accomplishments, I don't know.

hawkjt
08-24-2006, 12:41 PM
Frank is in a special category as far as most sox fan are concerned.

I am happy for the big guy, coming back from the injury, and having a solid year. It appears he will get a chance to play in the playoffs and despite my dislike for the A's , I will be pleased for Hurt to get a chance to play post-season ball.

And clearly he is a huge bargain this year at 500K. Hopefully he had incentives in that deal so he costs Beane more than that pittance.

And it should mean that frank will get a good payday in the offseason with a two year deal at the appropriate level.

The only way the sox would end up playing the A's will be in the ALCS. If that happens- go sox.

Baby Fisk
08-24-2006, 12:53 PM
If you could select the scenario, where would Frank hit #500?

- in the early innings during a game at USCF?
- in front of his home crowd (Oakland or wherever next year)?
- a game-winner in Minnesota?
- a game-winner in Cleveland?
- a game-winner in Texas?
- a game-winner in Boston?
- a game-winner in the Bronx?
- interleague play at Chicago (NL)?

Sorry it's not a formal poll, but at least everyone can kick around some ideas here. Being a greedy bastard, I'd love to be in the stands when the Big Hurt launches #500 at Toronto next year. :cool:

soxinem1
08-24-2006, 01:02 PM

I like Rowand too, but I see the problem with the Rowand Fan Base as being more complex. Many of them bash BA, make statements like 'We'd be in a better position' if Rowand was still in CF, or just whine about him not being here. In my opinion, it's time to drop that.

A major thing us long-time fans have leared to deal with is the probability that our favorites who wear the White Sox uniform are rarely around more than a few seasons (ala Dick Allen, Richie Zisk, etc) so we have more or less accepted this.

So while I will always be greatful to Rowand's contributions to the White Sox, it's time to get behind the newer members of the team and just say, 'Thank you, and Good Luck, except when you play the White Sox'. Time to move on.

soxinem1
08-24-2006, 01:04 PM

- in the early innings during a game at USCF?
- in front of his home crowd (Oakland or wherever next year)?
- a game-winner in Minnesota?
- a game-winner in Cleveland?
- a game-winner in Texas?
- a game-winner in Boston?
- a game-winner in the Bronx?
- interleague play at Chicago (NL)?

Sorry it's not a formal poll, but at least everyone can kick around some ideas here. Being a greedy bastard, I'd love to be in the stands when the Big Hurt launches #500 at Toronto next year. :cool:

Being greedy myself, I hope it is in Chicago, and we win 8-1.

gobears1987
08-24-2006, 01:37 PM
I want him to hit it in front of his fans at USCF. Of course I want us to then win by a margin of 10 runs!

(best scenario is he gets cut at 499 by the A's and comes to the Sox for a week)

Of course, I should probably deep pink that one.

TornLabrum
08-24-2006, 02:42 PM

But that's not the thing that irks me so much. It's the convolutions some of the FOAR crowd go through to try to get him back on the team.

Nellie_Fox
08-24-2006, 03:03 PM
And clearly he is a huge bargain this year at 500K. Hopefully he had incentives in that deal so he costs Beane more than that pittance.There are incentives, and he's already locked in a lot of them.

The $500K was guaranteed. Then he got bonuses for not having any ankle related injuries of $325K each on May 1st and June 15th, then a $375K bonus on July 15th and August 15th. Those are all locked in now.

Then he gets bonuses for number of plate appearances; $1.2M for 550 plate appearances.

Baby Fisk
08-25-2006, 09:53 AM
Former players sometimes hang on to the Sox too. In recent years, both Jack McDowell and Robin Ventura have made guest appearances in the announcers' booth, and there has been some talk of them eventually returning to the organization in some capacity full time. Based on most posters' sentiments towards the current radio broadcast team, either Black Jack or Robin would be more than welcome in the booth.

chaerulez
08-25-2006, 11:05 AM

I think TornLabrum said it best when he said it was "illogical" love, and I think he meant the people here who keep wanting Rowand back in a trade. I still like Rowand and always will for his role in last years team, but I do not want him back on this team, he would serve no purpose.

the gooch
08-25-2006, 11:38 AM

Section 161, row 12, seat 8
Now to get those tickets....

spawn
08-25-2006, 11:40 AM
I think TornLabrum said it best when he said it was "illogical" love, and I think he meant the people here who keep wanting Rowand back in a trade. I still like Rowand and always will for his role in last years team, but I do not want him back on this team, he would serve no purpose.
Word. I think the only two players that left the Sox and that I disliked as soon as they were gone was David Wells and Magglio. I'm still a fan of Rowand, and I will always root for the Big Hurt. As far as Rowand, I'd much rather have BA roaming CF, so I don't want him back. But I'll always appreciate what he did to help us win the World Series last year.

kevingrt
08-25-2006, 11:41 AM

I agree with you totally, but that doesn't mean you can't stop being an Aaron Rowand fan. I love Aaron and think he goes balls out on every play, but there is no need for him now on the team. But a some years down the road you never know, a coach? How that's like 18 years from now. He at least knows fans love him here.

BTW- Awesome thread... I can't wait for Frank to hit 500... Maybe not even in Oakland. Where would he go? Anaheim? Texas? Where? No way Minnesota, I would maybe die.

Kub_Killer_15
08-25-2006, 11:52 AM
Maybe if he gets on fire now he can get #500 in Chicago against us in the ALCS but of course we will still win:smile:

champagne030
08-25-2006, 12:05 PM

He would serve an invaluable service to this team: Ozzie wouldn't be able to make us watch Mack misjudge flyballs in CF on a routine basis.

TaylorStSox
08-25-2006, 12:20 PM

My only problem with the Rowand love is that he simply wasn't that good. People say he was the standard for "grinder ball." That's just BS IMO. People forget that he was a horrible baserunner and worse bunter. In reality, Rowand's "grinder ball" prowess was more of a myth than anything. He played as hard as anyone, but he frustrated me far too much to be a favorite player. He might be a great guy, but I could care less. I want guys that win baseball games. I don't want a team that I'd like to hang out with.

Frank, on the other hand, was simply the best player to ever wear the Sox uniform. I'll admire him til the die I pass.

vegyrex
08-25-2006, 01:52 PM
Maybe if he gets on fire now he can get #500 in Chicago against us in the ALCS but of course we will still win:smile:

Home runs hit in the post season don't count. :wink:

We'll have to wait until 2007.

I hope he hits it in Chicago. It would be very nice.

maurice
08-25-2006, 03:30 PM
The A's would have to be nuts to let Frank go.
He leads the team in OBP, SLG, OPS, HR, and RBI.

Bonus Frank stat:
He has 65 BB v. only 62 Ks.
:o:

Nellie_Fox
08-25-2006, 03:41 PM
The A's would have to be nuts to let Frank go.
He leads the team in OBP, SLG, OPS, HR, and RBI.Not to mention VORP!

maurice
08-25-2006, 03:45 PM
Not to mention VORP!

I don't know what that means, but I'll take your word for it.

Nellie_Fox
08-25-2006, 04:10 PM
I don't know what that means, but I'll take your word for it.One of the propeller heads will be able to explain it better than I can. I don't fully understand it, but it stand for Value Over Replacement Player, and purports to calculate the number of additional runs a player is good for over the course of a season compared to if he were replaced by a free-agent or minor-leaguer on his roster.

This week's Sports Illustrated just had a small blurb stating that Frank is the A's leader in VORP, and thought it would be mildly amusing to add that.

Nellie_Fox
08-29-2006, 12:47 AM
Frank hit #476 tonight, along with three walks, in the currently broadcast game against Boston. It was a monsterous shot.

edit: By the way, Frank's blast tonight was off of Foulke.

voodoochile
08-29-2006, 12:54 AM
Frank hit #476 tonight, along with three walks, in the currently broadcast game against Boston. It was a monsterous shot.
When I was young, the first baseball team I ever rooted for was the Reggie Jackson/Joe Rudi/etc. Oakland A's. Now later, I came to seriously dislike that team when they were continuously keeping the Sox out of the playoffs in the early 90's. I don't want to like them ever again, but Frank is making it damned hard.

It's going to be an interesting playoff series if/when the Sox face the A's and the FOBB start going at it with the regular Sox fans on these forums. I obviously will be rooting for the Sox, but it scares the living **** out of me to think about Frank batting with runners in scoring position and the Sox defending a small lead late in a playoff game.

This one was a great move by Beane and anyone who says different has their head up their ass.

IlliniSox4Life
08-29-2006, 01:05 AM

Adam Melhuse pinch hit for the Big Hurt in the 8th inning due to the blowout, and proceeded to hit one out himself.

Credefan21
08-29-2006, 02:09 AM
Jav just pwned you Rowand haters. He is aboslutely right and the holier than thou attitude towards Rowand here makes me sick. You are the same people who loved the guy last year. Cmon.

CLR01
08-29-2006, 03:18 AM
Jav just pwned you Rowand haters. He is aboslutely right and the holier than thou attitude towards Rowand here makes me sick. You are the same people who loved the guy last year. Cmon.

Yeah I haven't seen anyone owned like that in a long time.....:rolleyes:

The Rowand is a god bow before him crowd makes me sick.

Rowand sucks.

Credefan21
08-30-2006, 09:06 AM
So just because Rowand wasn't the greatest hitter means he sucks? That is like saying BA sucks because he wasn't hitting well earlier in the year. Rowand's defense makes up for it, just like BA's.

voodoochile
08-30-2006, 09:13 AM

We're not booing Rowand. We're booing the over-the-top manlove people have for him.

The Racehorse
08-31-2006, 09:21 AM
We're not booing Rowand. We're booing the over-the-top manlove people have for him.

I didn't get "it", posters dumping on Rowand in various threads, until now... not getting the inside joke has never bothered me.

What cracks me up is that there is allot of over the top "manlove" going on between posters, here at WSI!