PDA

View Full Version : Erstad

RichH55
02-23-2002, 04:06 AM
Well we have chronicled how we should have roughly 10-15 million "extra" to work with next year and how nicely that works with the fact that 2003 should be a good year for us to make a serious run....

The big issues....The huge influx of rookie position players we could be seeing next year....Talented, of course...proven, not so much,....and to break in 4+ rookies doesn't exactly play into the hands of a serious playoff run.

Another question mark is lead-off hitter....most see Ray-Ray as gone after the current year and Lofton as well....leaving no particular great candidates for teh gig..and the name most mentioned is Harris which doesn't strike as the best or a particularly viable option.

So essentially Erstad would be a great fit...Can still break LTP in...don't have to pray for Harris to work out both as a ballplayer in general and a lead-offhitting rookie to boot. Lee and Konerko's future with the club would also be decieded by the 2002 campaign.

That makes sense from the Sox angle....plus the interest has been documented by KW's near deal for him in the offseason

RichH55
02-23-2002, 04:24 AM
Another thing is potential competition for Erstad...the Angels(read:Disney) have not locked him up long term dispite his potential leaving in the cards for quite some time and Disney hasn't had the most open pockets for Baseball/Hockey/Sports recently and the company itself hasnt been on the best footing(as a share holder I know this all too well)....Plus they have a kid:
Nathan Haynes, OF: Swiped 33 bases and hit .310 in Double-A. Learning to work the count, making him a potentially useful leadoff man.
Who kind of sounds like the potential replacement for Erstad, no? And he was in the Will Help Soon catergory...not a 19 year old A ball phenom

The other big suitors out there are the usual suspects
The Yankees have Bernie Williams as the CF(the key team to get out of the mix, I would hate to go up against the Yanks if George wanted a player)
The Mariners(who can be surprisingly active out there) have Cameron
St. Louis who will play the market has Edmonds

Posible Problems:
Texas- Not the biggest since they have Everett(not sure on his contract), but they have money, I'm hoping Boras isn't Erstad's agent as well:)

LA- Big Market club, chance to upstage Anaheim, and that CF doens't impress you does it? Plus since we know KW has interest coiuld give Evans a chance to upstage KW on top of everything

NYM- Jay Payton is not the answer and the Mets have the need and means to upgrade at CF....Now I dont know if they signed Gonzalez means they would have not be able to get Burnitz, but I would prefer them with an outfield of Gonzo, Burnitz and Cedeno all longer term and big money

Negs:
LA does haveChin-Feng Chen ready to go for 2003 and their corner guys are solid....could be a player, but Pitching might be a bigger priority or too much of an expense or both

Mets- They could be serious contenders...I think NYM and the White Sox will be the main players for Erstad especially since I think Cedeno is a guy who runs til he is tagged out and will prove that in 2002......So I'm hoping the Mets either turn Jay Payton into a viable CF by making a non-Erstad 2002 trade or that Cedeno has a great year....trade seems likely at least

It looks more and more to me that Erstad is a viable option for us(costs a 1st rounder essentially) and it gives you a Bat(Lee or Konerko) to deal as well so you can probably add a #3 starter at least in a bigger deal.......Then you get LTP and Hummel(since Harris's value shoots down when you already have a legtimate leadoff guy) and hopefully Crede has gotten alot of time in 2002 so you know if you have a player at 3B or if that is a prority for 2003

cornball
02-23-2002, 09:44 AM
Worry about next year.........NEXT YEAR!!!!

Jerry_Manuel
02-23-2002, 12:14 PM
What's intersting is that in an article I saw the other day Williams said the team is pushing it's budget already. I believe it was in the Southtown, it said last seasons payroll was at 64 and this year at 57 their strapped for cash.

I'm not sure, will be signing a player that's not currently under contract to the Sox. Konerko's deal is up this year, I believe so they have to pay him, maybe using the money they would pay Durham.

czalgosz
02-23-2002, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
What's intersting is that in an article I saw the other day Williams said the team is pushing it's budget already. I believe it was in the Southtown, it said last seasons payroll was at 64 and this year at 57 their strapped for cash.

I'm not sure, will be signing a player that's not currently under contract to the Sox. Konerko's deal is up this year, I believe so they have to pay him, maybe using the money they would pay Durham.

Well, a lot will depend on this year's attendance. Durham, Lofton, Alomar, and Clayton will all almost definitely be gone after the 2002 season, so that will free up some cash, but if attendance stays down this season, I don't look for the Sox to make any real moves over the off-season. They'll re-sign Konerko, but that's about it. When is Valentin's contract up?

Jerry_Manuel
02-23-2002, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
When is Valentin's contract up?

He hsa at least 2 more years left.

RedPinStripes
02-23-2002, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
I'm hoping Boras isn't Erstad's agent as well:)

I doubt he is. I don't think the Sox would have attempted that trade if Boras was in the picture.

MattSharp
02-23-2002, 04:40 PM
You made a lot of good points. I agree that if the Sox attendance isn't up they won't have the money. I also think that Durham is gone after this season, or even before. I think tying up Konerko to a long term deal is the first key. Then depening on everything that happens you can decide if you should go after a guy like Erstad. I use to think he was underrated, now I think hes odverrated. Personally I would rather see them extend contracts of their palyers before blowing money on him.

Chisox_cali
02-23-2002, 07:11 PM
Pretty nice line up with Erstad in it though

CF Erstad
SS Valentin
DH Thomas
LF Ordonez
1B Konerko
RF Borchard
2B Hummel
3B Crede
C Johnson

RichH55
02-23-2002, 08:36 PM
Makes us look like even more of a contender in 2003, no?

doublem23
02-23-2002, 08:40 PM
Well, I think the pathetic state the rest of our division is in, we'll be contenders for a while...

Go Sox! :D:

RichH55
02-23-2002, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Well, I think the pathetic state the rest of our division is in, we'll be contenders for a while...

Go Sox! :D:

Well that is definately my feeling for 2002 and of course in the playoffs anything can happen....but I can see adding the words"Legtimate" and "World Series" to the Contenders term for 2003, plus we shouldn't be an old club by any means so I can see adding "-2010" to that 2003