PDA

View Full Version : Thome gone, how long , do you think it might be better ?

OzzyTrain
08-23-2006, 09:43 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love Thome, but I think we sit back and wait for him to strike to much. I think we might actually play a little better if we know we can't wait for him

CHIsoxNation
08-23-2006, 09:53 PM
The only way this can be good is if it isn't something very severe and he can make it back by next week or so and at the same time rest up that wrist of his that has been giving him trouble. I believe I heard them saying a few days ago that if the Sox weren't in a pennant race, then there was no way Thome would be playing right now.

Best case scenario, Thome is out for about a week to rest it up, comes back full strength (hammy, back and wrist) for the TB or KC series and goes on a sick tear for the next month.

OzzyTrain
08-23-2006, 10:08 PM
Yeah that would be good, but it seems like are guys just try harder when he is not in the line up, maybe its all in my head

MrRoboto83
08-23-2006, 10:08 PM
Probably see a lot of Konerko at DH and Gload at 1st. Not that Gload is an improvement over Thome in the lineup or anything, but I do like to watch Ross play.

Brian26
08-23-2006, 10:10 PM
The Sox can survive a week or 10 days with Mack and Gload sharing time at DH. We've got enough bats in the lineup to compensate. Just hope the pitching can hold up.

gobears1987
08-23-2006, 10:14 PM
I like Mack DHing just because it keeps him away from CF.

Dan Mega
08-23-2006, 10:20 PM
I like Mack DHing just because it keeps him away from CF.

Post of the day.

JB98
08-23-2006, 10:27 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love Thome, but I think we sit back and wait for him to strike to much. I think we might actually play a little better if we know we can't wait for him

That depends on the pitching. If we pitch well, we can win without Jim. If we pitch poorly and we have to outslug somebody, obviously we're better off with Jim than Gload or Macko.

flo-B-flo
08-23-2006, 10:27 PM
When a big part of your offense is down others need to step the **** up. This has happened in baseball forever. Hopefully this happens. He'll be down at least a week.

DickAllen72
08-23-2006, 10:30 PM
Let Paulie DH and Gload play 1B until Thome is 100%. Sox lineup will be fine like this.

Madvora
08-23-2006, 10:31 PM
Let Paulie DH and Gload play 1B until Thome is 100%. Sox lineup will be fine like this.
That's what I see happening.

gobears1987
08-23-2006, 10:31 PM
Let Paulie DH and Gload play 1B until Thome is 100%. Sox lineup will be fine like this.I agree. Ross is good when he gets little stints of playing a few games. It seems to be where he excels the most.

slobes
08-23-2006, 10:32 PM

Exactly, don't rush him back into the lineup. Unfortunately, Ozzie has been known to bend his rule of "You can't play if you're not 100%", like when Konerko was sick earlier this year. Thome could be key in the last few weeks--let's make sure he's OK.

Madvora
08-23-2006, 10:35 PM
I agree. Ross is good when he gets little stints of playing a few games. It seems to be where he excels the most.
I don't know. Ross seems to kick ass whenever he comes into a game.

gobears1987
08-23-2006, 10:35 PM
I don't know. Ross seems to kick ass whenever he comes into a game.He does, but he seems to do well when filling in for a week too. He can bunt too.

Fungo
08-23-2006, 10:37 PM
Carl Everett is available.

SouthSide_HitMen
08-23-2006, 10:38 PM
I think Thome will be back sometime during the Devil Ray series which is fine by me. No need to rush back and have a lingering problem the rest of the season.

JRIG
08-23-2006, 10:43 PM
Losing your team leader in OBP (by 25 points!) is not going to do a thing to help the offense.

MarySwiss
08-23-2006, 10:44 PM
I'm fine with not rushing him back if he's hurt, but there's no way this team is better without him than with him over the long haul.

BA: The Hitman
08-23-2006, 11:46 PM
I dont know how anyone could say it is a good thing for thome to be out of the lineup....if we didnt have thome, we wouldnt be where we are right now, but lets hope its not too serious and he can be back within a week.

jenn2080
08-23-2006, 11:53 PM
I dont know how anyone could say it is a good thing for thome to be out of the lineup....if we didnt have thome, we wouldnt be where we are right now, but lets hope its not too serious and he can be back within a week.

we did it without thome last year. granted we had better pitching but the fact still remains is we won a title without him.

SOecks
08-24-2006, 12:04 AM
Time to rally the troops and see what this damn team is made of. Give him a rest and get him healthy. Then come charging at the end of the season and show everybody what's up.

BadBobbyJenks
08-24-2006, 12:07 AM
Yeah Im excited about not having Thome in there for a few days, we will definately be better with out him.

whitesoxfan
08-24-2006, 12:28 AM
At the end of SportsCenter, they said the word was that Thome would be out for tomorrow, but would be ready for the Twinkies series.

Green
08-24-2006, 01:41 AM
At the end of SportsCenter, they said the word was that Thome would be out for tomorrow, but would be ready for the Twinkies series.

That's great news.

QCIASOXFAN
08-24-2006, 01:55 AM
So you think Ozzie will put Jermaine in the 3 spot?

JB98
08-24-2006, 01:58 AM

I doubt it. If I had to guess, I would speculate that he'll move Paulie, JD, AJ and Crede all up one spot and drop Gload in the seventh hole.

StatHead21
08-24-2006, 03:25 AM
Josh Fields anyone? I'd love to see what he can do, Ross Gload's godly bunting abilities won't exactly get them to the playoffs.

southside rocks
08-24-2006, 07:41 AM
The team won't be better off with Thome out of the lineup, but Thome definitely will be better off for taking some time -- between the back spasms, the right wrist, and the hamstring, he could do with a few days or a week to rest.

The team will do fine; they have quite enough bats and I am sure they will step up to the challenge this presents. Konerko can DH and Gload play first; or JD can DH and Mack play RF. This is where the good bench becomes a big factor, at this time of year in a pennant drive.

If Thome were to be lost for the remainder of the season, that would be a difficult thing to compensate for, but that's not what anyone is calling this right now.

Madvora
08-24-2006, 08:47 AM
Actually, didn't they have AJ in there for a couple of games?
Maybe that's the plan again?

rdwj
08-24-2006, 08:53 AM
Josh Fields anyone? I'd love to see what he can do, Ross Gload's godly bunting abilities won't exactly get them to the playoffs.

Thome is day to day. Why would they bring up somebody??

jenn2080
08-24-2006, 09:12 AM

First of all Thome is suppose to be back for the Minn series. Second how in the hell are you busting Ross on bunting when the last few games he has played in he has got hits and pulled his weight. The whole team has sucked at bunting so you pointing out Ross on bunting is LAME!

champagne030
08-24-2006, 09:21 AM

Not with a lefty on the mound. I just hope Ozzie doesn't sit AJ for Grandpa because it's a day game following a night game plus facing a lefty. Thankfully, Mack should come nowhere near CF today.

jenn2080
08-24-2006, 09:28 AM
Not with a lefty on the mound. I just hope Ozzie doesn't sit AJ for Grandpa because it's a day game following a night game plus facing a lefty. Thankfully, Mack should come nowhere near CF today.

AJ has hit fine against lefties. I dont think Ozzie will play Sandy. And lets not hate on him it was a month ago everyone wanted Widgers head. Now we are hating on Sandy. Who do you want as the back up?

BigPapaPump
08-24-2006, 09:35 AM
AJ has hit fine against lefties. I dont think Ozzie will play Sandy. And lets not hate on him it was a month ago everyone wanted Widgers head. Now we are hating on Sandy. Who do you want as the back up?

Can we still trade for Michael Barrett?

alohafri
08-24-2006, 09:39 AM
If necessary, put Thome on the DL and call up Sweeney and let him play left.

Mr.1Dog
08-24-2006, 09:49 AM

He did that when AJ was batting around the .320's and was consistently getting on base with singles. With the mini-slump AJ is in, and with Konerko hitting mostly singles, keep where they are and just bump them up a spot.

dickallen15
08-24-2006, 09:51 AM
I laugh at anyone who thinks Ross Gload is ample replacement for Jim Thome. This is not 2005 anymore. The White Sox need to score 6+ runs a game for the most part to win. I think Thome's wrist is still bothering him, but as great as people say Dye has been, Thome has more homers and gets on base more frequently. You do not benefit by not having that in the line-up.

Flight #24
08-24-2006, 10:14 AM
2 ways to look at this IMO, if Thome's going to miss more than a day or 2 (if not, there's no discussion and no move to be made).

1) Call up a pitcher for the 'pen and give the starters a quicker hook (esp Javy).

2) Call up Fields, give him a pre-Sep taste of MLB ABs splitting time with Gload (Fields DH/Konerko 1B or swap, if Gload - then Gload 1B/Konerko DH).

IMO Fields seems more ready than Sweeney to contribute in the bigs, just based on his performance.

Frater Perdurabo
08-24-2006, 10:21 AM
I don't think Thome needs to go on the DL.

Today, Ozzie should DH Paulie and start Gload at first. If Thome must miss any more games, Mackowiak can DH. Ozzie is being a stubborn fool for continuing to play Mackowiak in CF.

A few days off might actually help Thome and the Sox in the long run, as long as they still can pummel the Twins this weekend. Of course, it's all about the pitching.

Jjav829
08-24-2006, 10:33 AM

Nice thought. Unfortunately, it will probably just lead to everyone swinging harder and trying to hit more home runs, thinking they have to make up for Thome's absence.

skottyj242
08-24-2006, 10:36 AM
Probably see a lot of Konerko at DH and Gload at 1st. Not that Gload is an improvement over Thome in the lineup or anything, but I do like to watch Ross play.

It's official, I was looking for someone that sits by me to start it. We're officially Gloads Guys. I'm breaking in the new jersey tomorrow night. I was just Gloads Guy but now there's two of us.

jenn2080
Nice thought. Unfortunately, it will probably just lead to everyone swinging harder and trying to hit more home runs, thinking they have to make up for Thome's absence.

Agree. The sad thing is we didnt win last year with HR. Oh well this team is not last years. I have faith they can get it done without Thome. Put Ross and 1st and DH Paulie and please dont put in Rob.

Erik The Red
First of all Thome is suppose to be back for the Minn series. Second how in the hell are you busting Ross on bunting when the last few games he has played in he has got hits and pulled his weight. The whole team has sucked at bunting so you pointing out Ross on bunting is LAME!
Um, ***... did I miss something? It looked to me like StatHead was giving Ross a compliment, not cutting him down.

skottyj242
08-24-2006, 10:37 AM
I laugh at anyone who thinks Ross Gload is ample replacement for Jim Thome. This is not 2005 anymore. The White Sox need to score 6+ runs a game for the most part to win. I think Thome's wrist is still bothering him, but as great as people say Dye has been, Thome has more homers and gets on base more frequently. You do not benefit by not having that in the line-up.

I laugh at anyone who takes cheap shots at my guy Ross.

spiffie
08-24-2006, 10:44 AM
Agree. The sad thing is we didnt win last year with HR. Oh well this team is not last years. I have faith they can get it done without Thome. Put Ross and 1st and DH Paulie and please dont put in Rob.
No, those 200 HR last year didn't do a damn thing.

spiffie
08-24-2006, 10:45 AM
I laugh at anyone who takes cheap shots at my guy Ross.Is it really a cheap shot to say that Ross is not equivalent to Jim Thome? That seems more like stating the obvious.

Iwritecode
08-24-2006, 10:45 AM

The Sox were 5th in MLB in homeruns last year. The only team that made the playoffs and hit more were the Yankees.

kravdog
08-24-2006, 10:58 AM
2 ways to look at this IMO, if Thome's going to miss more than a day or 2 (if not, there's no discussion and no move to be made).

1) Call up a pitcher for the 'pen and give the starters a quicker hook (esp Javy).

2) Call up Fields, give him a pre-Sep taste of MLB ABs splitting time with Gload (Fields DH/Konerko 1B or swap, if Gload - then Gload 1B/Konerko DH).

IMO Fields seems more ready than Sweeney to contribute in the bigs, just based on his performance.

Agreed. But, you can do more than just give Konerko a spell. Joe Crede's back might not mind a day off or two in the next couple of weeks.

Lineup of

Dye - 3
Koneroko (1b) - 4
Crede (dh) - 5
AJ - 6
Fields (3b) - 7

dickallen15
08-24-2006, 11:00 AM
I laugh at anyone who takes cheap shots at my guy Ross.

If Ross Gload is equal to or better than Jim Thome, KW and OG need to be fired immediately. I offerred no cheap shot about Gload. There's a reason he never has been a regular player in the major leagues. I also don't understand why people actually think the rest of the White Sox will be better with Thome out of the line-up. It seems to me Dye and Crede have had career years with Thome around. It also looks like Konerko is hitting .310 and Pierzynski .300, above last year's totals. Uribe is Uribe, but probably will finish with close to 20 homers and 70 rbi. Anderson has struggle, and Pods is bad, but I wonder who people actually think will pick it up if Thome is gone for a while. If the White Sox pitched this year like they did last, they would have a huge lead over Detroit, and Thome would be a huge hero here. Unfortunately the pitching has been a huge dissappointment. Its really fortunate Thome has been here, because if the offense performed like it did in 2005, playoff talk would have ceased weeks ago.

Lip Man 1
08-24-2006, 11:01 AM
Folks:

Just remember who the source is on this Thome report. It's ESPN people.

Don't be surprised if Jim's not back until Sunday at the earliest.

Lip

INSox56
08-24-2006, 11:04 AM
Hey Hey, don't count me out of the Gloads Guys. I've liked the guy for years, wish he could find a chance to show what we all know he's got. I don't think that anyone is saying that Ross is going to do a great job replacing Thome...I just think people are saying we'll be OK because that's the best we're gonna do. I'd go out on a limb here and say that Gload's bat > Mack honestly. I don't see Mack factoring into anything here. I see Thome being out a few games, Gload starting at 1b and konerko DHing till he gets back. This is our best option.

jenn2080
08-24-2006, 11:04 AM
The Sox were 5th in MLB in homeruns last year. The only team that made the playoffs and hit more were the Yankees.

I should have phrased it better. I know we hit HR and where we stood but it wasnt the focal point.

DaleJRFan
08-24-2006, 11:12 AM
Gload will probably get some time at 1B and that isn't a bad thing. He may not hit a lot of homers, but he's not awful, either. At least the guy can bunt and he does run fairly well.

Though. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Ozuna get some starts at DH against tough lefties.

Podsednik
Ozuna
Dye
PK
Crede
Iguchi
AJ/Alomar
Uribe
Anderson

DaleJRFan
08-24-2006, 11:14 AM
Agreed. But, you can do more than just give Konerko a spell. Joe Crede's back might not mind a day off or two in the next couple of weeks.

Lineup of

Dye - 3
Koneroko (1b) - 4
Crede (dh) - 5
AJ - 6
Fields (3b) - 7

Why would you move a premiere defender to DH? Bulky back or not, Crede needs to play in the field.

Flight #24
08-24-2006, 11:27 AM
Why would you move a premiere defender to DH? Bulky back or not, Crede needs to play in the field.

I think the move would be made to ensure that Joe's healthy for the rest of the season, not because you want Fields to play. That's the bonus.

In any case, we're probably talking getting Fields 3 games/week. Gload becomes the regular 1B/DH with Paulie. Fields plays twice a week for Gload and maybe once every 2 weeks for Paulie. Then he plays once every 2 weeks for Crede. That gets him some ABs to get his feet wet, then when Thome comes back he sits (or if he's really doing well, you can continue to have him sub at 1B/DH/3B and/or if he's capable, for Pods in LF).

kravdog
08-24-2006, 11:29 AM
I think the move would be made to ensure that Joe's healthy for the rest of the season, not because you want Fields to play. That's the bonus.

In any case, we're probably talking getting Fields 3 games/week. Gload becomes the regular 1B/DH with Paulie. Fields plays twice a week for Gload and maybe once every 2 weeks for Paulie. Then he plays once every 2 weeks for Crede. That gets him some ABs to get his feet wet, then when Thome comes back he sits (or if he's really doing well, you can continue to have him sub at 1B/DH/3B and/or if he's capable, for Pods in LF).

exactly...

Jerko
08-24-2006, 11:45 AM
So, in the middle of a playoff race, people want the everyday 3b and/or 1b to be replaced in the field??? Also, why does Gload automatically play first when THOME gets hurt?????

DaleJRFan
08-24-2006, 11:47 AM

Yea, sure... I guess I can agree with you there, but replacing Crede with Fields on an everyday basis makes no sense at all unless the Sox are completely out of it.

Maybe give Fields a few ABs here and there if he is called up, but I don't understand why you would risk giving regular ABs during a pennant race to a rookie who has never seen MLB pitching... again, maybe iff the Sox were 10 games back in the wild card standings. But, as long as they are "in it" there's no sense in giving a rookie regular at bats when Gload is ready to step in.

Besides, Thome might only miss one or two games as Lip stated.

INSox56
08-24-2006, 11:56 AM
So, in the middle of a playoff race, people want the everyday 3b and/or 1b to be replaced in the field??? Also, why does Gload automatically play first when THOME gets hurt?????
Because it's his normal position...? Paul doesn't have to play 1B to hit, ya know....what other combination could possibly work here? People on the team as well as Ozzie have stated that Gload is our best defensive 1B anyway. It's either we put our best defensive guy out there, or put someone else in a position they're not used to.

Flight #24
08-24-2006, 11:59 AM
Yea, sure... I guess I can agree with you there, but replacing Crede with Fields on an everyday basis makes no sense at all unless the Sox are completely out of it.

Maybe give Fields a few ABs here and there if he is called up, but I don't understand why you would risk giving regular ABs during a pennant race to a rookie who has never seen MLB pitching... again, maybe iff the Sox were 10 games back in the wild card standings. But, as long as they are "in it" there's no sense in giving a rookie regular at bats when Gload is ready to step in.

Besides, Thome might only miss one or two games as Lip stated.

It's a question of options. I like Ross Gload as a bench player. But I'm not sure what you'll get out of him. Fields is something of an unknown, but his minor league performance makes it seem like he could be an impact bat (although likely not immediately).

The only "risk" is in whatever the decline is from Gload to Fields (or when you sit Paulie/Crede, whoever you'd sub them with instead of Fields).

As for your "everyday" 1B/3B, if they have issues like Crede with the back, it's critical to keep them healthy so that you don't look to replace one for a week or 2 at a stretch in September. Also, given that these guys have played 25 games in a row (or will have), not a stretch to think that a day off here or there might actually help them perform when they play(and we're talking 1 every 2 weeks, not every other day).

But hopefully Thome's back in a day or 2 and it's a non-issue.

The Immigrant
08-24-2006, 12:00 PM
Also, why does Gload automatically play first when THOME gets hurt?????

I don't get that either. PK is a far superior defensive player. Maybe people simply can't justify having Ross Gload as our DH?

Ol' No. 2
08-24-2006, 12:03 PM
I don't get that either. PK is a far superior defensive player. Maybe people simply can't justify having Ross Gload as our DH?Far superior defensive player??:rolleyes:

Besides, PK has played 120 games. Getting to DH is almost like a day off. He could use it.

DaleJRFan
08-24-2006, 12:12 PM
I don't get that either. PK is a far superior defensive player. Maybe people simply can't justify having Ross Gload as our DH?

Maybe Singleton can step down from the booth and take some cuts.

Jerko
08-24-2006, 12:13 PM
Far superior defensive player??:rolleyes:

Besides, PK has played 120 games. Getting to DH is almost like a day off. He could use it.

A day off is one thing; some of these guys had him DHing 3 days a week.

The Immigrant
08-24-2006, 12:14 PM
Konerko has a higher fielding percentage at 1B than Ross Gload (go look it up), and as someone who watches every Sox game I have greater confidence with him in the field.

Yeah, "far superior" is an overstatement, but so is 95% of the bull**** you post on these boards on a daily basis.

CaptainBallz
08-24-2006, 12:15 PM

I don't see where PK is far superior to Gload defensively. The guy can stretch and can bring in bad throws. If for no other reason, it gives Paulie a rest from playing the field for a spell while not losing his bat in the lineup. What's the harm?

The Immigrant
08-24-2006, 12:22 PM
I agree with Jerko's response on the rest point - you can give Konerko a day off once in a while, but you shouldn't make him your everyday DH.

By the way, when the **** did Ross Gload turn into a Gold Glove 1B?

EDIT: before anyone else pounces on me with one of these :rolleyes:, I should add that I am all for Gload being the regular DH in Thome's absence, with some starts reserves for Mack.

INSox56
08-24-2006, 12:30 PM
Konerko has a higher fielding percentage at 1B than Ross Gload (go look it up), and as someone who watches every Sox game I have greater confidence with him in the field.

Comparing those stats is the same as calling Ozuna a better hitter than Konerko because his avg is 321 to konerko's 310. Come on, you get more opportunities, percentages tend to get better. And it's been said by Hawk, DJ, Farmer, Ozzie and even Konerko last year that Gload is better defensively...

LauraJ14
08-24-2006, 12:31 PM

Thome's had 6 homeruns since the all-star break, not like he's been carrying the team the last month anyways.

kravdog
08-24-2006, 12:40 PM
Thome's had 6 homeruns since the all-star break, not like he's been carrying the team the last month anyways.

yeah, at this point in the season, I think the skies would be a whole lot darker if this was Dye we were talking about.

hawkjt
08-24-2006, 12:52 PM
We face robertson,radke,santana,and silva then a day off and tampa comes to town.

Then sept 1 is here and we can call up reinforcements.

Can we survive the above pitchers with Jimbo? Two lefties that he would struggle to hit anyway, and then two righties that are sinker ball pitchers- I think Ross can help us against this group of pitchers. And then jimbo is back hopefully.

Worse case he is back when we go to Anahiem the following week.

I think we will be ok.

slavko
08-24-2006, 12:53 PM

You speak the truth regarding injury. When did Thome hit all those homers? I think there's been things wrong with him since June that the club is not publicizing.

Gload as a replacement at 1B? He hits line drives, he has fielding range, he strecthes for throws...give Thome a chance to heal so that he gets back to his April-May form. (Of course a HOF guy is better than a journeyman. I'm not that crazy.)

credefan24
08-24-2006, 12:56 PM
Has there been any official announcment as to how long Thome is out for?

I think the previous posts about facing lefties, and callups was good.

Lets go sox.

Ol' No. 2
08-24-2006, 01:19 PM

Yeah, "far superior" is an overstatement, but so is 95% of the bull**** you post on these boards on a daily basis.Carlos Lee had a 1.000 FPCT in 2004. I guess he must have been the best LF in the major leagues.:rolleyes:

Edit: Oh, yeah. And I did look it up. Ross Gload has a 1.000 FPCT this year. (Not that it means a damn thing.)

Iwritecode
08-24-2006, 01:26 PM

Yeah, "far superior" is an overstatement, but so is 95% of the bull**** you post on these boards on a daily basis.

I looked it up. You're wrong...

Career fielding pct

Konerko - .995
Gload - .996

The Immigrant
08-24-2006, 01:29 PM
Carlos Lee had a 1.000 FPCT in 2004. I guess he must have been the best LF in the major leagues.:rolleyes:

Edit: Oh, yeah. And I did look it up. Ross Gload has a 1.000 FPCT this year. (Not that it means a damn thing.)

I don't know what you're looking at, but Ross Gload does not have a 1.000 FPCT this year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=4500&context=fielding

But hey - don't let facts get in your way. :cool:

Ol' No. 2
08-24-2006, 01:31 PM
I don't know what you're looking at, but Ross Gload does not have a 1.000 FPCT this year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=4500&context=fielding

But hey - don't let facts get in your way. :cool:I'll take the official MLB numbers (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/sortable_player_stats.jsp?c_id=cws&baseballScope=CHA&teamPosCode=all&statType=3&timeSubFrame=2006&sitSplit=&venueID=&Submit=Submit&timeFrame=1), thanks.

Oh, wait, those were OF numbers. I guess that must make him a gold glove outfielder.

His 1B FPCT is .994. Konerko's is .996. I see what you mean. Konerko's is MUCH higher.

Brian26
08-24-2006, 01:52 PM
Firstbase fielding pct is always suspect because it doesn't take into account some of the scoop saves a really good first baseman like Konerko often makes. PK has saved Uribe and Crede countless times this year with nice catches in the dirt, while I've seen a couple skip past Gload in his limited time playing in Baltimore and KC (errors not charged to Gload, but to the fielders).

OzzyTrain
08-24-2006, 02:01 PM
Dye batting 3rd

OzzyTrain
08-24-2006, 02:04 PM
Dye batting 3rd

And thats number 36

MikeLove
08-24-2006, 02:26 PM
id just like to say a few things, first of all Thome hasn't been playing very well since at least the All Star Break so I would say that pointing out Thome's numbers for the season isn't really indicative of how big of a loss he will be. I cant see why Gload couldnt come in and bat .250 with 6HR like thome has been doing since the all star break (i dont know his actual batting avg, .250 is just an estimate)

Edit: Ok Thome is hitting .284 since the break but has FOURTEEN RBIS, Dye has 28 with 10 HR and batting .326 since the break consequently.
Konerko has 22 runs scored since the break and Thome has 25 despite having a higher OBP over 30 points lower. Iguichi has 15 runs scored 13 RBI, Podsednik has 14 runs scored and has only 5 less RBI's than thome despite having an average of .218. Pretty interesting stuff! Im even more confident that maybe this shakeup is somewhat needed

Also, I hate to sound like that one guy who had his "scoring system" who always knocked Crede last year but... When I look at Thome play (not his stats) it just seems like he is one of the worst clutch players on the team, it seems like he almost never gets a big hit to go ahead. He has a really high OBP but it seems like 3/4 of the time he strikes out in an important at bat. Gload wont need to match thome's high OBP since he won't be batting third, it will be up to Dye, Konerko and Crede to pick up most of the slack, Konerko and Crede are looking excellent, and what else can i say about JD besides "MVP"?

I really do have the solution though:

JD 1st Base
Call up Sweeny and Fields
Gload in CF, Pods in RF, Sweeny in Center
Move Brian Anderson to 3rd base
Have Fields play SS
Send Tadhito and Uribe to Charlotte....
Carl Everett Second Base
Sign Canseco to bolster the starting rotation

QCIASOXFAN
08-24-2006, 02:44 PM
So you think Ozzie will put Jermaine in the 3 spot?I like J.D. in the 3 spot.:cool:

INSox56
08-24-2006, 02:52 PM
I like J.D. in the 3 spot.:cool:

yeah, so when he gets solo homers, we can at least get one run instead of the patented slownerko DP. :wink:

INSox56
08-24-2006, 02:55 PM
Oh, I'd like to have seen Konerko make that grab too.... :o:

Ol' No. 2
08-24-2006, 03:03 PM
I like J.D. in the 3 spot.:cool:If he'd been batting 3rd yesterday his first inning HR would have been a solo shot. He belongs hitting AFTER the guys with the highest OBP, not before.

QCIASOXFAN
08-24-2006, 03:07 PM
If he'd been batting 3rd yesterday his first inning HR would have been a solo shot. He belongs hitting AFTER the guys with the highest OBP, not before.What if..... he always hits well in the 3 spot. Plus when he does get on base he actually has some speed to score when Konerko and Thome get hits.

Ol' No. 2
08-24-2006, 03:14 PM
What if..... he always hits well in the 3 spot. Plus when he does get on base he actually has some speed to score when Konerko and Thome get hits.Dye's more valuable driving in runs than being driven in by someone else, and he'd have a lot fewer RBI opportunities batting 3rd. Thome walks a ton and Konerko gets on base pretty often, too. I want Dye batting with men on base as often as possible.

MikeLove
08-24-2006, 03:16 PM
well perhaps we just need the left fielder and second baseman to show up and play some damn baseball for the rest of the season then!

QCIASOXFAN
08-24-2006, 03:17 PM
Dye's more valuable driving in runs than being driven in by someone else, and he'd have a lot fewer RBI opportunities batting 3rd. Thome walks a ton and Konerko gets on base pretty often, too. I want Dye batting with men on base as often as possible.True, it will all depend on how long Big Jimmy is out for (lets out not long). For the time being though I like this lineup.

Ol' No. 2
08-24-2006, 03:23 PM
True, it will all depend on how long Big Jimmy is out for (lets out not long). For the time being though I like this lineup.Without Thome, I agree it's better to have Dye batting third.

Anything said on the broadcast about Thome's leg? He didn't look like he was running hard enough to pull a hammy. He said it felt more like a cramp. Sometimes those can linger for a day or two, but that would be a hell of a lot better than a pulled hammy. Those can linger for months.

soxinem1
08-24-2006, 03:41 PM
I like Dye batting third against lefties on a permanent basis. I like Dye hitting third all the time, but when you have three of the slowest players in MLB in your lineup, you have to stagger them as much as you can. Plus, Thome's OBP is usually quite high.

But now that Thome is hurt (and you know these hammies linger for a l-o-n-g time almost always) JD may be there for awhile.

NU Nish 13
08-24-2006, 04:04 PM
espn reports that thome is out for at least the twins series this weekend...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2559945

caulfield12
08-24-2006, 04:08 PM
Without Thome, I agree it's better to have Dye batting third.

Anything said on the broadcast about Thome's leg? He didn't look like he was running hard enough to pull a hammy. He said it felt more like a cramp. Sometimes those can linger for a day or two, but that would be a hell of a lot better than a pulled hammy. Those can linger for months.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/bvsp?playerId=2604&teamId=9

Supposedly, it's a minor strain/tweak/pull, but was considered to be less serious than what he did in the spring. No DL, especially with rosters expanding.

Definitely not a cramp though.

Looks like we really won't miss him until the Sunday game, although he does have 5 homers (but only .225 average) versus Radke lifetime.

I said last night it might turn out to be a blessing in disguise for the line-up.

We'll see this weekend.

kitekrazy
08-24-2006, 07:45 PM
Since Kenny seems to bring back players we might see Killer Carl back and that will also restore the teams chemistry.:rolleyes:

JB98
08-24-2006, 07:48 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/bvsp?playerId=2604&teamId=9

Supposedly, it's a minor strain/tweak/pull, but was considered to be less serious than what he did in the spring. No DL, especially with rosters expanding.

Definitely not a cramp though.

Looks like we really won't miss him until the Sunday game, although he does have 5 homers (but only .225 average) versus Radke lifetime.

I said last night it might turn out to be a blessing in disguise for the line-up.

We'll see this weekend.

There's no ****ing way Thome's injury is a blessing in disguise. If we overcome it, it will be because we have numerous other good hitters.

Sox lineup without Thome = still good
Sox lineup with Thome = possibly the best in baseball

kitekrazy
08-24-2006, 07:50 PM
Well it might give the Sox a break from playing that station to station baseball we are so use to playing.

JB98
08-24-2006, 07:59 PM
Well it might give the Sox a break from playing that station to station baseball we are so use to playing.

I wouldn't count on it. We are a station-to-station team now. We scored 10 runs today, and it sure as hell wasn't because of small ball.

Lip Man 1
08-24-2006, 08:05 PM
NU Nish 13:

This less then 24 hours after ESPN 'reported' Thome would be BACK for the Twins series.

:rolleyes:

It's ESPN folks.

Lip

Jurr
08-24-2006, 10:03 PM
Yes, I'm serious. No, I'm not considering taking anti-psychotic medication (they leave a bad aftertaste).

The Sox could benefit by not having Thome in the lineup.

Why, you ask? Multiple reasons, I say!

1.) No reliance on station to station ball - I think when you have a guy like Thome in the lineup, you tend to lean on the middle of your order a little too much. The rest of the order has been stagnant, and a reason for this might be the lack of offensive ingenuity like the hit and run. Are you going to hit and run for a guy that puts balls over the wall? Are you going to risk stealing bases when a power guy's coming up? They did last year. Why not this year? It is because you now have a bomber always in the three hole.

2.) More concentration for the pitchers! If you lose a power guy like Thome, you may not be able to go into games thinking you're possibly going to get a lot of help. Now, there's a fine line here. For instance, when our pitchers face the Twins when Santana pitches, they get tight, knowing they have to be perfect. However, in most situations, it might just lead to the guys concentrating that tiny bit more, because they might have to win a 4-3 game instead of a 9-8 win. Same goes for the hitters. They have to bristle up a little, and so far, so good.

I might be way off base, but I saw a little more variety and concentration the last two days. Hmmmmm.....

Jurr
08-24-2006, 10:06 PM
Addendum - Don't get me wrong. I love having Thome's power in the lineup. However, I hope that the offense gets back to playing a little "smarter" ball, then plugs Thome back in to the rejuvinated mix.

That's the way they played at the beginning of the year. They mixed a little '05 smallball swagger with some new pop. Now, they've been a long ball team. A nice little reminder of what worked earlier may have been in order.

eurotrash35
08-24-2006, 10:06 PM
I don't think so, Tim.

fquaye149
08-24-2006, 10:08 PM
Maybe , maybe not. There's no way to say for sure. Even if we start winning that doesn't prove anything.

The only thing we do know is losing Thome knocks off about a run a game from the DH/1B spot.

Jurr
08-24-2006, 10:10 PM
Maybe , maybe not. There's no way to say for sure. Even if we start winning that doesn't prove anything.

The only thing we do know is losing Thome knocks off about a run a game from the DH/1B spot.
If it gets guys like Pods, Tadahito, Juan, and AJ feeling good again, like they HAVE TO contribute to win, it could be great for the team.

Harry Potter
08-24-2006, 10:10 PM
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:h39g0M_P02_4DM:http://www.briscoebarnyard.com/pictures/timalien.jpg (http://www.briscoebarnyard.com/pictures/timalien.jpg)

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-24-2006, 10:11 PM
Addendum - Don't get me wrong. I love having Thome's power in the lineup. However, I hope that the offense gets back to playing a little "smarter" ball, then plugs Thome back in to the rejuvinated mix.

That's the way they played at the beginning of the year. They mixed a little '05 smallball swagger with some new pop. Now, they've been a long ball team. A nice little reminder of what worked earlier may have been in order.

I agree with you and Rongey. Thome needs a few days off plus that would give Gload some more time at 1st. I don't not want Thome out, but a few Gloaders in the mix every once in a while can't hurt.

Jurr
08-24-2006, 10:18 PM
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:h39g0M_P02_4DM:http://www.briscoebarnyard.com/pictures/timalien.jpg (http://www.briscoebarnyard.com/pictures/timalien.jpg)
That's funny. However, as madly in love with Thome as a bunch of Sox fans are, his presence has turned the offense into the 2001-2004 Sox offense. I think the swinging for the fences mentality is contagious.

Thome is a team player, we all know that. However, there is an expectation for a long fly every time he comes up. That's good when he's hot, but when he's not, it's trouble. Strikeouts galore.

Every team with a power guy goes through such things, but the good teams overcome these slumps by providing offense in other ways. This offense HAS NOT been doing this at all.

I'm only stating an opinion that by changing things up (involuntarily as it may be), it might help "un-stagnate" this offense. It sure as hell looked like everybody was a lot more active the last two nights.

JB98
08-24-2006, 10:19 PM
There's no way in hell Thome out will help us. I think we'll survive because we have other good hitters.

As far as the comment about getting away from station-to-station baseball, that isn't going to happen until Podsednik starts getting on base. That has nothing to do with whether Jim is in the lineup.

JB98
08-24-2006, 10:21 PM
That's funny. However, as madly in love with Thome as a bunch of Sox fans are, his presence has turned the offense into the 2001-2004 Sox offense. I think the swinging for the fences mentality is contagious.

Thome is a team player, we all know that. However, there is an expectation for a long fly every time he comes up. That's good when he's hot, but when he's not, it's trouble. Strikeouts galore.

Every team with a power guy goes through such things, but the good teams overcome these slumps by providing offense in other ways. This offense HAS NOT been doing this at all.

I'm only stating an opinion that by changing things up (involuntarily as it may be), it might help "un-stagnate" this offense. It sure as hell looked like everybody was a lot more active the last two nights.

Today, we scored 60 percent of our runs on homers. This is a power-hitting offense whether Thome plays or not.

fquaye149
08-24-2006, 10:24 PM

Oh baloney. Almost everyone on this team is having a better offensive year than last year. Only Uribe and Podsednik are significantly worse. Crede, Konerko, and Dye are up. AJ's contact is up.

This is beyond silly. He turned us into a bad pitching team? Maybe. Again unsupportable but mostly contrary to all decent logic.

He turned us to a team that can score enough runs to overcome bad pitching. And you think him being out is going to help us? Time will tell, but you're taking a potential 50 HR guy out of your lineup and that's very rarely a good thing (read: NEVER)

mjharrison72
08-24-2006, 10:26 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3846&d=1138041188
YOU'RE CRAZY!

CaptainBallz
08-24-2006, 10:26 PM
The only reason this is being said is because of the full team shutdown over the last week(s). Lest we forget that Thome actually pulled the hamstring on a nice RBI ground rule double. Lets also not forget that he isn't even the HR leader on the team anymore!:o:

In a ridiculous psychological, addition-by-subtraction kind of way, it might get some heads out off some collective ass ($$), forcing these guys down to reality-ville. If Jim Thome's presence had for some reason made the batters AND pitchers slack, that would only be an indictment of their skill and professionalism.

Thome's an invaluable asset. Not having him in the lineup hurts the team.

JB98
08-24-2006, 10:29 PM
Oh baloney. Almost everyone on this team is having a better offensive year than last year. Only Uribe and Podsednik are significantly worse. Crede, Konerko, and Dye are up. AJ's contact is up.

This is beyond silly. He turned us into a bad pitching team? Maybe. Again unsupportable but mostly contrary to all decent logic.

He turned us to a team that can score enough runs to overcome bad pitching. And you think him being out is going to help us? Time will tell, but you're taking a potential 50 HR guy out of your lineup and that's very rarely a good thing (read: NEVER)

I agree with you. The pitching angle is the only part of this argument that may hold any water, but it's impossible to prove.

DickAllen72
08-24-2006, 10:44 PM
However, as madly in love with Thome as a bunch of Sox fans are, his presence has turned the offense into the 2001-2004 Sox offense. I think the swinging for the fences mentality is contagious.

Thome in the lineup is good for the overall offense. It's Thome batting third that is the issue. He strikes out too much for a number three hitter and it takes away from the Sox ability to play hit & run early in the game. Also, with Thome batting third, the first three hitters in the Sox lineup cannot hit lefties well at all.

Thome never really was a number three hitter as far as I know. He's your prototypical cleanup hitter or number five hitter. Swings for the fences with every swing.

Instead of adding him to last year's lineup, it seems as if by putting him third the Sox centered their whole offense around him and changed their whole style of play to where they are afraid to play aggressive or "smart ball" early because they're afraid to "take the bat out of Thome's hands."

Hopefully Thome returns to the lineup soon, but I also hope Ozzie leaves Dye in the three hole (where he was World Series MVP) and bats Thome either fourth or fifth for the rest of the year.

A. Cavatica
08-24-2006, 10:48 PM
I think that if we hit well over the next few games, we'll look back and conclude that Thome being out helped us. We'll be wrong, because you can't come up with a statistically significant conclusion about a lineup over the course of a few games, but due to human nature we'll come up with cockeyed explanations like yours.

And I think that if we hit poorly over the next few games, we'll look back and conclude that Thome being out hurt us. And we'll be right, but just by accident.

CRAW
08-24-2006, 10:50 PM
Yes, his OBP is great, but I'm willing to see what happens from this, and at that same time I hope Jimothy gets better.

:rolleyes:

buehrle4cy05
08-24-2006, 11:07 PM
I'm on Jurr's side with this. We talked about it in chat the other night, and I agree that it could make the offense play small ball, hitting up the middle and to the opposite field. That's the exact strategy you need to have against guys with good changeups like Santana and Radke.

Or it could kill the offense until he gets back. But let's hope that doesn't happen.

21stcenturySox
08-24-2006, 11:19 PM
Yes, I'm serious. No, I'm not considering taking anti-psychotic medication (they leave a bad aftertaste).

The Sox could benefit by not having Thome in the lineup.

Why, you ask? Multiple reasons, I say! . . .

I might be way off base, but I saw a little more variety and concentration the last two days. Hmmmmm.....

I watched the archived game on mlb.tv and came to the same conclusion as you've stated above. Thome's average and production against left-handed pitching this year has been abysmal. He's batting .247 against lefty's and fully a third of his at bats against lefty's have been strike outs. 18 of 91 of his RBI have been against lefty's--about 20%.

Today's pitcher--Robertson (nate) -- is a lefty. The Sox creamed him.

Saturday night the Sox face Santana (the luciferous lefty). JT is 3 for 12, albeit with 2 HR, against the Sox nemesis. I'm sanguine about the odds we have with Big Jim out of the lineup.

With Jermaine "Je" Dye "Master" having the hot bat charging into the home stretch of his MVP season we shall smite the "Storm" Twinkies and the evil Darth-tana.

russ99
08-25-2006, 02:28 PM
I'm just glad Dye gets to hit in the third spot, which IMO, he's better suited to despite Thome's good OBP. I hope Ozzie brings Jim back in the 5th spot.

caulfield12
08-25-2006, 02:37 PM
I watched the archived game on mlb.tv and came to the same conclusion as you've stated above. Thome's average and production against left-handed pitching this year has been abysmal. He's batting .247 against lefty's and fully a third of his at bats against lefty's have been strike outs. 18 of 91 of his RBI have been against lefty's--about 20%.

Today's pitcher--Robinson-- is a lefty. The Sox creamed him.

Saturday night the Sox face Santana (the luciferous lefty). JT is 3 for 12, albeit with 2 HR, against the Sox nemesis. I'm sanguine about the odds we have with Big Jim out of the lineup.

With Jermaine "Je" Dye "Master" having the hot bat charging into the home stretch of his MVP season we shall smite the "Storm" Twinkies and the evil Darth-tana.

Aren't we facing Radke tonight? Who is Robinson? Bill Robinson?