PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Half Conditioning

sox230
08-23-2006, 05:26 PM
I was wondering if you guys thought there is either something that the current strrength and conditioning coach is not teaching correctly, or if it is merely a motivation factor that leads to Sox 2nd-Half mediocrity. For example, if you look back at some seasons of success: In 2000, the team got off to an unbelievable start and then played around .500 for the second half, you guys know what happened last year with the great start and the .500 ball in the second half, and this year I believe the Sox are 4 or 5 under since the all-star break, and if they had kept up to anywhere near their first half pace, we would be within a game or two of the whining Kitties. Plus, I don't really recall a recent year that the Sox made a late charge at a postseason birth, they have always sort of faded away. Who do you think is to blame for all of this 2nd Half mediocrity? I truly don't know.

salty99
08-23-2006, 05:40 PM
I have no idea about conditioning, but it does suck that the past 5-10 years we always seem to underperform after the break.

Huisj
08-23-2006, 06:51 PM
That doesn't seem entirely true. It seems that in some other years recently, the sox have had decent second halfs after digging a big hole in the first two months of the season. I'm thinking of years like:

2001-started 14-29, finished 83-79
2002-were 45-54 in mid July, finished 81-81
2003-were 25-34 in June, finished 86-76

I guess they did struggle off and on in the second half of those seasons at times, but the also made up a decent bit of ground in between those struggles. It was just frustrating because they often seemed to almost get back into a race only to suddenly fall apart and fall back out again.

I guess in 2004 they did have a bad August, right? But wasn't a lot of that due to having two big holes in the lineup after Orodonez and Thomas had gone down in mid season?

Lip Man 1
08-23-2006, 11:11 PM
Their record after the All Star Break last season was worse I think percentage wise then in the first half of the season as well.

Lip