PDA

View Full Version : Shingo Takatsu Aftermath

TheKittle
08-23-2006, 02:14 PM
Does anybody think KW is weary of signing another Japanese pitcher in the aftermath of Shingo Takatsu, one great year, then everybody figured him out?

The Dodgers signed a Japanese pitcher and he's something like 14 of 15 in save situations. He wasn't a highly thought of player, he's more of the under the radar type player KW finds. I can't help to think this guy would have been a huge improvement over Cliff.

soxfan13
08-23-2006, 02:18 PM
Does anybody think KW is weary of signing another Japanese pitcher in the aftermath of Shingo Takatsu, one great year, then everybody figured him out?

The Dodgers signed a Japanese pitcher and he's something like 14 of 15 in save situations. He wasn't a highly thought of player, he's more of the under the radar type player KW finds. I can't help to think this guy would have been a huge improvement over Cliff.

Did KW know that Politte was going to have such a dramatic drop off from last year? I thought he would slip a little but not to the point of not even being a mid-level reliever. So, no I dont think he is gun shy, I just think there was no need for him.(at the time)

soxfanatlanta
08-23-2006, 02:18 PM

The league did not figure him out, he just forgot how to throw strikes.

IlliniSox
08-23-2006, 02:19 PM
I'm missing your point. Because KW didn't sign Saito, he won't sign another Japanese pitcher?

mrfourni
08-23-2006, 02:21 PM
Does anybody think KW is weary of signing another Japanese pitcher in the aftermath of Shingo Takatsu

Didn't he sign Hideo Nomo?

TheKittle
08-23-2006, 02:51 PM
I'm missing your point. Because KW didn't sign Saito, he won't sign another Japanese pitcher?

While it's not just because of Saito, yes that is the point. Aside from Irabu, Japanese pitchers have done well, in their roles, here in the majors. The Angels had a Japanese pitchers who was a great set up man.

The White Sox needed bullpen help/insurance with Dustin's history of injuries.

And Nomo doesn't does count or even matter.

gbergman
08-23-2006, 02:57 PM
Shingo was a fan of serving up the long ball

NorthSideSox72
08-23-2006, 02:57 PM
While it's not just because of Saito, yes that is the point. Aside from Irabu, Japanese pitchers have done well, in their roles, here in the majors. The Angels had a Japanese pitchers who was a great set up man.

The White Sox needed bullpen help/insurance with Dustin's history of injuries.

And Nomo doesn't does count or even matter.

A) KW signed Hideo Nomo this offseason

B) KW signed Tadahito, who now has two solid seasons under his belt

C) Politte showed no hints of problems prior to the season starting.

I find your conclusion puzzling. I am sure KW would sign anyone he thinks would help the team.

Chicken Dinner
08-23-2006, 03:12 PM
Shingo was a fan of serving up the long ball

Especially against the Tribe.

JohnBasedowYoda
08-23-2006, 03:41 PM
Shingo faded because he stunk it up, not because he was Japanese. Fading skills can happen to everyone, doesn't matter if you're from wherever.

peelwonder
08-23-2006, 03:51 PM
Maybe KW won't ever sign another free agent because Hideo didn't pan out on the big league level for us.

maurice
08-23-2006, 03:59 PM
Fading skills can happen to everyone....

Especially when you're 36 years old, like Takatsu was last year.

The walk numbers really stand out. In 2004, Takatsu had 21 BB in 62 1/3 IP. In 2005, he had 19 BB in only 36 1/3 IP.

Nobody "figured out" his "stuff." Takatsu's K/9 rate actually increased from about 8 in 2004 to 10.5 in 2005.

PatK
08-23-2006, 04:34 PM
Especially when you're 36 years old, like Takatsu was last year.

The walk numbers really stand out. In 2004, Takatsu had 21 BB in 62 1/3 IP. In 2005, he had 19 BB in only 36 1/3 IP.

Nobody "figured out" his "stuff." Takatsu's K/9 rate actually increased from about 8 in 2004 to 10.5 in 2005.

Exactly.

Shingo simply could not hit the strike zone at the beginning of the count, then had to serve up his batting practive fastball.

I was truly bummed at how he panned out, because in 2004, he was a treat to watch.

Ol' No. 2
08-23-2006, 04:38 PM
Exactly.

Shingo simply could not hit the strike zone at the beginning of the count, then had to serve up his batting practive fastball.

I was truly bummed at how he panned out, because in 2004, he was a treat to watch.The gong was awesome.

HotelWhiteSox
08-23-2006, 04:38 PM
Cliff was bad, but you could probably count the # of wins he blew on one hand, so it wasn't a huge difference, and KW took care of it, McDougal is definately an upgrade

Exactly.

Especially against Cleveland. He must have Ronnie Belliard in his nightmares

HotelWhiteSox
08-23-2006, 04:39 PM
The gong was awesome.

When chat sound effects go bad...

BadBobbyJenks
08-23-2006, 06:49 PM
The gong was awesome.

beat me to it, loved that entrance

TheKittle
08-23-2006, 06:57 PM

I find your conclusion puzzling. I am sure KW would sign anyone he thinks would help the team.

Nomo doesn't matter or count since he has played in the majors. He has a track record in the majors.

I meant Japanese pitchers, Iggy is a position player, who played in Japan. Notice the Dodger pitcher has never played in the US before this season.

I just used Cliff as an example since he turned out bad. But one thing KW needed to do in the off season was upgrade the bullpen. He couldn't count on Dustin staying healthy. Hell he couldn't count on Jenks being the closer. Turns out that Dustin hasn't pitched this year, Jenks has developed into a great closer, and Cliff was terrible.

soxinem1
08-24-2006, 01:07 PM
beat me to it, loved that entrance

I thought the gong was cool for awhile, but I have to admit that Shingo was my pick to flop in 2005, so while I am not happy about it happening, I was definitely not suprised.

kitekrazy
08-24-2006, 07:48 PM

Yep. I guess Kenny shouldn't sign any middle relief guys whos last name starts with "P".

areilly
08-25-2006, 09:57 AM
Does anyone think KW would pony up the money to wrestle Daisuke Matsuzaka away from the Japanese league? I know the common logic says the guy's going to the Yankees, but with the bent towards stellar pitching I think it's not out of the realm of possibility that the guy lands on the South Side.

I also think the guy could be a star in the MLB. Then again, we all remember Hideki Irabu...

Fake Chet Lemon
08-25-2006, 12:00 PM

So if Jermaine Dye tanks maybe no more black players for KW? Hardly. This is an insane thread.

spiffie
08-25-2006, 01:29 PM
Does anyone think KW would pony up the money to wrestle Daisuke Matsuzaka away from the Japanese league? I know the common logic says the guy's going to the Yankees, but with the bent towards stellar pitching I think it's not out of the realm of possibility that the guy lands on the South Side.

I also think the guy could be a star in the MLB. Then again, we all remember Hideki Irabu...
No, and I wouldn't want him to. Supposedly he is or will be allied with Boras, and is looking for huge money. This on top of the posting fee for him which is likely to be in the 10-20 million range. I'm sure he's good, and probably will do well here, but not for the kind of cash he's going to get. I mean, there are people suggesting he will get Zito money this offseason, and if I'm spending $15 million a year on a pitcher, I want one who has actually done well in the US.

TaylorStSox
08-25-2006, 01:39 PM

A, and B are certainly true. I have to disagree about C though. Politte's stuff was very different in the second half of last year. He lost a couple MPH on his 4 seamer and wouldn't challenge anyone in key situations. He relied to heavily on this 2 seamer and slider. Hitters caught on this year and took advantage of it.

One thing I know about KW is that he's not afraid to sign anyone.