PDA

View Full Version : Mike Downey- Ozzie Out of control

hawkjt
08-23-2006, 11:30 AM
I will admit I think he is mediorce at best ,or worse as a columnist in a major paper like the tribune and this is yet another example of a bad column.

He criticizes ozzie for getting run in the second inning. he indicates that the second inning is too early to really object to calls behind the plate.

Was he watching this game? I would have been disapointed if ozzie had not gone out there- Iassonga is one of the most unlikeable guys in blue out there and a bad ump. I know it did not help in the end but I just think when our players are getting agitated(thome,buerhle and pK) and they normally do not, then the manager has to address it. And really, that was a quick trigger ejection before ozzie even got out of the dugout.

Downey mails in his columns on a daily basis- get a real writer in there, trib.

whitesoxfan
08-23-2006, 11:32 AM
I'm glad I don't have to read any of his crappy articles any more.

His Ozzie bashing is ridiculous.

MarySwiss
08-23-2006, 11:48 AM
I will admit I think he is mediorce at best ,or worse as a columnist in a major paper like the tribune and this is yet another example of a bad column.

He criticizes ozzie for getting run in the second inning. he indicates that the second inning is too early to really object to calls behind the plate.

Was he watching this game? I would have been disapointed if ozzie had not gone out there- Iassonga is one of the most unlikeable guys in blue out there and a bad ump. I know it did not help in the end but I just think when our players are getting agitated(thome,buerhle and pK) and they normally do not, then the manager has to address it. And really, that was a quick trigger ejection before ozzie even got out of the dugout.

Downey mails in his columns on a daily basis- get a real writer in there, trib.

Well, he sure as hell wasn't watching the same game I was. Those calls were pathetic. Rogers could have rolled the ball up there, and it would have been called a strike.

I don't think anyone can say Iassogna's horrible umpiring was the reason we lost, but it was certainly a contributing factor.

Iwritecode
08-23-2006, 11:57 AM
I don't think anyone can say Iassogna's horrible umpiring was the reason we lost, but it was certainly a contributing factor.

I can say it. I didn't see the game yesterday but I have seen many games where the umpire's strikezone is pretty much the deciding factor in the game.

The hitters start swinging at bad pitches they normally wouldn't swing at and hit weak grounders and infield pop-ups. The pitchers start having to throw the ball threw a teacup-sized strike zone and the opposition jumps all over it.

MarySwiss
08-23-2006, 12:20 PM
I can say it. I didn't see the game yesterday but I have seen many games where the umpire's strikezone is pretty much the deciding factor in the game.

The hitters start swinging at bad pitches they normally wouldn't swing at and hit weak grounders and infield pop-ups. The pitchers start having to throw the ball threw a teacup-sized strike zone and the opposition jumps all over it.

Be glad you didn't see it. At least a couple of those pitches he called strikes were flat-out unhittable, except by maybe Tiger Woods. When I said Rogers could have rolled them up there, I was exaggerating--but not by much.

I still get :angry: when I think about it.

southside rocks
08-23-2006, 12:27 PM
Well, he sure as hell wasn't watching the same game I was. Those calls were pathetic. Rogers could have rolled the ball up there, and it would have been called a strike.

That's the real point of last night's confrontation, not "Ozzie being Ozzie." Downey is a lazy lard-butt whose brain apparently gets even less exercise than his body. Here's something I'd like to ask him: why don't you write a column about what the **** a team is supposed to do when the umpiring is as bad as it was last night? Why don't you address the real issue, and not the personalities? Why don't you pretend, for one brief hour, to be a journalist?

Nobody calls out the umpires except the managers, and they get chastized for whining. Get real. This ump has been the subject of five or six complaints in recent games by different managers. Isn't that something to write about?

Jjav829
08-23-2006, 12:32 PM
Isn't it time for Mike Downey to go back to write columns about the greatness of Kyle Orton's 10 wins? :rolleyes:

MarySwiss
08-23-2006, 12:36 PM
That's the real point of last night's confrontation, not "Ozzie being Ozzie." Downey is a lazy lard-butt whose brain apparently gets even less exercise than his body. Here's something I'd like to ask him: why don't you write a column about what the **** a team is supposed to do when the umpiring is as bad as it was last night? Why don't you address the real issue, and not the personalities? Why don't you pretend, for one brief hour, to be a journalist?

Nobody calls out the umpires except the managers, and they get chastized for whining. Get real. This ump has been the subject of five or six complaints in recent games by different managers. Isn't that something to write about?
You'd think so, wouldn't you? Unfortunately, that would require things like, oh, researching the topic, checking facts, drawing conclusions that can be supported--you know, working.

Plus I honestly think that this "Ozzie's always wrong about everything" attitude has become almost a kind of fashion statement in media school. Sticking up for him would make you unpopular with all the other kids.

Lip Man 1
08-23-2006, 12:54 PM
On the contrary I think Ozzie needs to get more boisterous, with more ranting and throwing over the food tables in the clubhouse.

Something to grab the attention of a veteran teams going through the motions and get them to play up to their capabilities with less then 40 games to go.

Lip

Frontman
08-23-2006, 01:04 PM
If Ozzie hadn't argued those calls, THAT I would complain about.

Sheesh. The man can't do a darn thing right.

'cept with the World Series. ;)

Front

soxinem1
08-23-2006, 01:09 PM
I suppose he would prefer the Jerry Manuel way of just sitting there and taking it, especially since this is one of many games that this happened with this guy.

Hey, if the umps do not want flack from the palyers and managers, all they need to do is just call a consistent game.

While some of Ozzie's antics are a bit silly, this is just another stupid comment from a columnist who works for a paper who's team cannot buy a World Series appearance.

Foulke You
08-23-2006, 01:15 PM
I agree with the sentiment of most posters on this thread. I was proud of Ozzie for going out there and giving that ump an earful. We've been getting crapped on with terrible and inconsistent strike zones in the last couple weeks. (especially in that Yankees series)

Kenny Rogers was getting an extra 5 inches below the knees last night and about an extra inch off the plate. Buehrle threw quite a few quality pitches in that bases loaded jam that were not called. Ozzie HAD to go out there and protect his players.

MadetoOrta
08-23-2006, 01:40 PM
What a perfect opportunity to bring the team in and give the "it's us against the world" speech and see if it lights a fire under their collective as......

russ99
08-23-2006, 01:58 PM
On the contrary I think Ozzie needs to get more boisterous, with more ranting and throwing over the food tables in the clubhouse.

Something to grab the attention of a veteran teams going through the motions and get them to play up to their capabilities with less then 40 games to go.

Lip

Around 40 games still to go? Wow, that makes me feel so much better - there's lots of time to turn the team around. :D:

Maybe Ozzie should take their rings away until after the season.

Nellie_Fox
08-23-2006, 03:42 PM
Read my post in the post-game thread from yesterday. I was listening to the Detroit feed on XM, and the Detroit announcers were actually laughing about how Rogers was getting calls that Buehrle wasn't even before Ozzie got launched. It was apparently blatantly bad. They were saying, "well, Kenny, if he's going to give you that pitch, try another couple of inches lower and see if he'll give you that one too. He's sure not giving those to Buehrle."

Ol' No. 2
08-23-2006, 03:48 PM
There have always been bad umpires, but it sure seems to me that it's been worse this year than I've ever seen it. But bad umpiring is bad enough - if it's at least consistently bad it evens out. I've now seen at least 5-6 games this year where the umpiring is not only bad, but badly biased, and ALWAYS against the Sox. I don't know what's up, but it's getting beyond the realm of possibility that it's pure chance.

0o0o0
08-23-2006, 04:16 PM
There have always been bad umpires, but it sure seems to me that it's been worse this year than I've ever seen it. But bad umpiring is bad enough - if it's at least consistently bad it evens out. I've now seen at least 5-6 games this year where the umpiring is not only bad, but badly biased, and ALWAYS against the Sox. I don't know what's up, but it's getting beyond the realm of possibility that it's pure chance.

I'm sure every team gets screwed a fair amount of times, we just don't see it. I don't buy any kind of bias against the Sox. That wouldn't make any sense at all.

hawkjt
08-23-2006, 04:19 PM
I know that crew chief Doug Scott threw ozzie out of a game earlier this year. Cannot remember the circumstances but I do think these umps remember this stuff and of course iassonga is a bad ump going back several years anyway.

I honestly think some crews have it in for ozzie.

Ol' No. 2
08-23-2006, 04:35 PM
I'm sure every team gets screwed a fair amount of times, we just don't see it. I don't buy any kind of bias against the Sox. That wouldn't make any sense at all.I've been watching games for a long time. Why didn't I see any evidence of bias in previous years? It's not every game, but it's enough to be noticable. I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist, but the number of times I've seen it (and it's obviously pretty noticable if even the Detroit announcers are talking about it) is starting to get beyond the realm of pure chance.

NB: Does anyone know if Comerica has QuesTec?

0o0o0
08-23-2006, 04:45 PM
I've been watching games for a long time. Why didn't I see any evidence of bias in previous years? It's not every game, but it's enough to be noticable. I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist, but the number of times I've seen it (and it's obviously pretty noticable if even the Detroit announcers are talking about it) is starting to get beyond the realm of pure chance.

NB: Does anyone know if Comerica has QuesTec?

What would be the reason for this bias?

Ol' No. 2
08-23-2006, 05:07 PM
What would be the reason for this bias?Your guess is as good as mine. I just know what I see and it doesn't look random.

JB98
08-23-2006, 05:17 PM
Bobby Cox gets tossed out of a game almost once a week. I've never seen a manager get tossed as much as he does, but I've yet to read any column speculating that Cox's "temper" is a detriment to the Braves. In fact, the media consider Cox to be sort of like a professor of baseball.

In contrast, every time Ozzie gets tossed someone suggests he needs anger management. All Ozzie did last night was what every other manager worth his ass would have done: Protect his players.

It's real easy for media members to throw barbs at Ozzie because he doesn't fit into the politically-correct box that we expect our public figures to fit into these days.

MarySwiss
08-23-2006, 05:51 PM
Read my post in the post-game thread from yesterday. I was listening to the Detroit feed on XM, and the Detroit announcers were actually laughing about how Rogers was getting calls that Buehrle wasn't even before Ozzie got launched. It was apparently blatantly bad. They were saying, "well, Kenny, if he's going to give you that pitch, try another couple of inches lower and see if he'll give you that one too. He's sure not giving those to Buehrle."

I did read your post and yes, the umpiring was blatantly bad. Not to mention inconsistent as hell. One batter after Iassogna called an absurdly low pitch a ball on Thome, he called what looked like an identical pitch a stirke on PK.

In short, it was one of those games where you could only say, "Damn, I hope they swing at everything because who the **** knows."

hellenicsoxfan
08-23-2006, 06:06 PM
I know that crew chief Doug Scott threw ozzie out of a game earlier this year. Cannot remember the circumstances but I do think these umps remember this stuff and of course iassonga is a bad ump going back several years anyway.

I honestly think some crews have it in for ozzie.

I think it was in Minnesota when Scott missed a call at first that extended the inning for the twins. A few batters later and a few runs later, Scott said the twin hitter checked his swing when it was obvious he swung - not even close. Ozzie let him know what he thought of the calls and Scott ran him.

Regarding the umpires, what ever happened to turning your back and walking away from an argument. Iassonga seemed to be adding fuel to the fire and when Ozzie was walking back to the dugout, shouted something at Ozzie that brought him back out. Seems very unprofessional to me. The Sox are sending a report to MLB but I'm sure nothing will happen. What does it take for an umpire to be reprimanded?

MDF3530
08-23-2006, 06:14 PM
I never have been a fan of Iassonga anyway. I think he went to the Richie Phillips school of umpiring. The best umpire I've seen since they merged the AL & NL umps is now umpiring prison softball games-Al Clark.

daveeym
08-23-2006, 06:15 PM
Regardless of the issue on whether the calls were fair or not, Ozzie was pulling a bull durham. He wanted to get ran out of there. They were getting screwed and I think he wanted to fire them up. The media stories are laughable. As pointed out above Bobby Cox doesn't get these stories written about him.

MDF3530
08-23-2006, 06:16 PM
Regarding the umpires, what ever happened to turning your back and walking away from an argument. Iassonga seemed to be adding fuel to the fire and when Ozzie was walking back to the dugout, shouted something at Ozzie that brought him back out. Seems very unprofessional to me. The Sox are sending a report to MLB but I'm sure nothing will happen. What does it take for an umpire to be reprimanded?Probably an ump slugging a manager.

caulfield12
08-23-2006, 06:28 PM
I never have been a fan of Iassonga anyway. I think he went to the Richie Phillips school of umpiring. The best umpire I've seen since they merged the AL & NL umps is now umpiring prison softball games-Al Clark.

And it was cool because he had his name on his hat so you could easily identify him, lol.

Ol' No. 2
08-23-2006, 06:46 PM
I think it was in Minnesota when Scott missed a call at first that extended the inning for the twins. A few batters later and a few runs later, Scott said the twin hitter checked his swing when it was obvious he swung - not even close. Ozzie let him know what he thought of the calls and Scott ran him.

Regarding the umpires, what ever happened to turning your back and walking away from an argument. Iassonga seemed to be adding fuel to the fire and when Ozzie was walking back to the dugout, shouted something at Ozzie that brought him back out. Seems very unprofessional to me. The Sox are sending a report to MLB but I'm sure nothing will happen. What does it take for an umpire to be reprimanded?IIRC, Froemming and The Pimple were reprimanded for losing control of the games in Oakland last year. Big deal. They get a letter in their file. I doubt it means a hell of a lot. All I know is if I sucked at my job as badly as some of these guys, I'd be looking for a new job.

MDF3530
08-23-2006, 06:54 PM
And it was cool because he had his name on his hat so you could easily identify him, lol.I was gonna say that. Now he wears "24601" on his hat (any Les Miserables fans out there'll get that reference). We've spent waaaaaaaaay too much time listening to Farmio :D: .

SOXandILLINI
08-23-2006, 11:14 PM
i don't post very often, but if you have read some of my posts, it is quite clear i am not, and never have been an ozzie fan. having said that, i was sitting watching the game with a buddy of mine, and stated about 2 minutes before he was run, that ozzie needed to get run. there was 2 very different stroke zones last night. all you ask from an umpire is to be consistant, and that clown was far from it, and it was clearly against the good kids. so even tho i will not be the president of the ozzie fan club, he went out and showed his team thay he had their backs last night. didn't end up helping, but it had to be done.

pearso66
08-23-2006, 11:37 PM
I didn't watch the game, but have heard a few things about it. One was Hawk was praising that very ump about 10 min before he ran Ozzie out, which would be weird since Hawk seems to hate most umps.

2. Someone, can't remember who, said it looked like Iassonga was trying to get Ozzie to shove him, by continuously going after him.

3. I think it was Boers and Bernstein, don't know which, said they could easily read the lips of Ozzie and Iassonga last night, and Ozzie said something along the lines of "all I want is an f'in chance" and Iassonga said "this isn't even close to over yet"

Take it for what it's worth, that was things I've heard 2nd hand, but if they are true, that ump should be kicked out of Umping for good, and I don't mean just MLB.