PDA

View Full Version : Keep the Faith

credefan24
08-23-2006, 10:21 AM
Remember, Remember, October of Oh-Five.
With championship hopes, and playoffs alive.
Hunger, desire, timely hitting and solid D.
I wish this team, would play with some chemistry.

August comes to an end, with our stride not yet peaked,
The once dependable staff, looks like an engine that leaked.
Keep hope alive, never give in.
Just when things are tough, the winning shall begin.

I for one, shall not leave this ship.
Even when the Tigers beat us 4 to zip.
The late months are stressfull, there's no doubting that,
Sometimes I wish, they wouldn't play like dead rats.

we all have desire, for our sox to win out.
It surely is no fun to see a lopsided route.
Lets take the last two, from the Motor City crew,
and the really show the American league,
What this talented team can do.

CaptainBallz
08-23-2006, 10:33 AM
Remember, Remember, October of Oh-Five.
With championship hopes, and playoffs alive.
Hunger, desire, timely hitting and solid D.
I wish this team, would play with some chemistry.

August comes to an end, with our stride not yet peaked,
The once dependable staff, looks like an engine that leaked.
Keep hope alive, never give in.
Just when things are tough, the winning shall begin.

I for one, shall not leave this ship.
Even when the Tigers beat us 4 to zip.
The late months are stressfull, there's no doubting that,
Sometimes I wish, they wouldn't play like dead rats.

we all have desire, for our sox to win out.
It surely is no fun to see a lopsided route.
Lets take the last two, from the Motor City crew,
and the really show the American league,
What this talented team can do.

That poems an insult to dead rat's...

I kid... I'm with ya.

southside rocks
08-23-2006, 10:36 AM
Here's a definition of "faith": Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence.

I have faith that the White Sox: (1) ARE going to play better baseball this year than they have played over the last 5 games -- or since the ASB; (2) ARE going to the post-season, albeit most likely as the wild card team; and (3) DO want very much to win this, and are highly motivated.

And for anybody who thinks they can bring me down by pointing out some of the grimmer realities of late, like Konerko's incessant GIDP and the pathetic showings of the starting pitchers: don't waste your time. I am committed to having faith in this team, and nothing that happened yesterday determines what happens tomorrow for them.

I'm reading "Feeding the Monster", which is about the Bosox 2004 team, and I did not recall until I read it that the Red Sox were a good-but-not-great team for most of the season. Then on August 15 they had a meeting at which one of the players announced that "we're gonna kick ****ing ass starting today" -- and the team went on a tear that resulted in them capturing the wild card spot, beating the Yankees in the playoffs, and of course winning the World Series.

Looking at that, looking at last year, and looking at this year's Sox team, I find that I have a deep belief that it is not over for the 2006 White Sox and that they are absolutely capable of ramping it up and playing their A game for the remainder of the season. And I believe that they will.

I do, however, have some slight reservations about Freddy Garcia. Perhaps they should drop him from the rotation in the post-season. :tongue:

Tekijawa
08-23-2006, 11:03 AM
I think the fact that the team managed to get three hits in the 7.1 innings after Ozzie tried to light a fire under their butts is what has me worried. If they come out flat today, I'll be expecting that a large portion of my Season tickets deposit for next year will already be done... I can appreciate that too though!

ode to veeck
08-23-2006, 11:06 AM
Great post except for the last line, even if it was in jest.

I say you gotta go with the horses that got you here, even if the other horses and the AL Central have become the toughest teams in baseball this year. It's not like any of our SP horses don't have the stuff; they all do. We got hitting and we got defense and we've shown on ocassion we can hit the best opposing pitching when it comes down to it, even if its Rogers or Santana. Sure, I'd ike to see more of Brian in CF as the regular guy and less of the subs, and more reliance on Brendan as a key long reliever, not just a guy that's switched out for the righty/lefty crap, but in general we got the right guys to do this again as is.

As Yogi used to sorta say, it's 50% physical and 90% mental, so let's give the Oz and the team some moral support on the mental side and cheer them down the stretch here. Sure, it's getting late in August and we're a pile of games behind the Kittens with the damn Twinkies nipping at our heals for the wild card slot, but this is also the 6 weeks when MLB gets most exciting, after like 150 games of spring and 2/3 of a season of a whole lot of baseball, the last few dozen games to settle it all. The whole stretch to the wire is still here in front of the Sox here, and we ain't got no Manuel in the dugout, no Royce at SS, and no Paniccia hiding in the pen. Instead, we got the starters and we got subs to do it and a crazy manager with huevos whose comments can't even be printed.

Look at what happened a couple years back, when the Twinks were dead and buried with half of Sept gone and came back to win it, or even late last year, when the nation drooled on their belief of the Toons miracle comeback, only to see it turn south in the very last week or less of the season. As Yogi also said, it ain't over until the fat lady sings, and that don't happen until the very end of Sept. Until then let's root our Sox on every day, no matter what happens. 'Nuf said.

soxinem1
08-23-2006, 11:06 AM
I will always keep my faith, but watching yesterday's game, a few things dawned on me over the past few days.

Horrible strike zone not withstanding, most of these guys are swinging very slow bats. Pods, Iguchi, Thome, Konerko, Uribe, and AJ all look like they are swinging boat oars.

Say what you want about pitching, but for a lineup that led the lead in run scoring most of the saeason, these guys look parched.

I think Gload, Mackowiak, and Cintron should be moved into the lineup over the next few days to give them some time off.

batmanZoSo
08-23-2006, 11:13 AM
Who the **** is Kenny ****ing Rogers? That 41 year old piece of ****. What a ****ing joke that he shuts us down nearly every ****ing time we face that mother ****er.

Sorry but I'm really sick of certain pitchers owning this team and beating them over and over...and over...and over. Especially when one of them...is Kenny ****ing Rogers!

I agree with Teki that it's pretty disheartening to see the team this flat after an Ozzie reaming. It's obvious they're not up for the challenge of winning the division. After winning the World Series, why should they concern themselves with such a trivial matter?

All I can say is thank god Boston fell off the map. I don't think we'll have problems holding off Minnesota, so as long as they can get in, maybe they'll decide they want to win then.

bluestar
08-23-2006, 11:14 AM
I will always keep my faith, but watching yesterday's game, a few things dawned on me over the past few days.

Horrible strike zone not withstanding, most of these guys are swinging very slow bats. Pods, Iguchi, Thome, Konerko, Uribe, and AJ all look like they are swinging boat oars.

Say what you want about pitching, but for a lineup that led the lead in run scoring most of the saeason, these guys look parched.

I think Gload, Mackowiak, and Cintron should be moved into the lineup over the next few days to give them some time off.

I agree the team looks physically and mentally exhausted. I have thought for a few weeks now that the only thing that might truly help this team significantly is for them to have a long, quiet offseason to recharge their batteries.

BA: The Hitman
08-23-2006, 11:29 AM
I think it is more mental exhaustion than physical. This is why Ozzie gave all these guys so many days off already this season.....so they would be ready to go for the stretch run. The only person I dont want to see on the field is pods because he is just plain worthless right now.

I've been trying to keep the faith, but it's becoming pretty painful to watch the way this team has been playing lately. Hopefully we can get the next two and at least 2 of 3 from the twins this weekend. Don't let us down tonight sweaty freddy, this is a big game which is supposed to be your specialty.

CaptainBallz
08-23-2006, 11:31 AM
I think it is more mental exhaustion than physical. This is why Ozzie gave all these guys so many days off already this season.....so they would be ready to go for the stretch run. The only person I dont want to see on the field is pods because he is just plain worthless right now.

So what's the point of all the rest, and the losses that have come with playing the bench guys so often, when the entire team is still going to look like dung when it counts....which is right now?

Chicken Dinner
08-23-2006, 11:31 AM
Show me a "W". Anybody seen the offense lately?

my5thbench
08-23-2006, 01:32 PM
despite the fact that the Sox look dead....that's a pretty cool poem....hope the team gets the message

my5thbench
08-23-2006, 01:47 PM
We'll start seeing the offense tonight & for a sustained run...hope some starting pitchers help out

WisSoxFan
08-23-2006, 05:52 PM
What? "Over"?

Did you say "over"?

Nothing's over until we decide it is!

Was it over when the Germans
bombed Pearl Harbor?

Hell, no!

-Germans?
-Forget it, he's rolling.

And it ain't over now.

'Cause when the going gets tough...

(Patriotic instrumental music)

the tough get going! Who's with me?

Let's go! Come on!

MarySwiss
08-23-2006, 05:54 PM
What? "Over"?

Did you say "over"?

Nothing's over until we decide it is!

Was it over when the Germans
bombed Pearl Harbor?

Hell, no!

-Germans?
-Forget it, he's rolling.

And it ain't over now.

'Cause when the going gets tough...

(Patriotic instrumental music)

the tough get going! Who's with me?

Let's go! Come on!

I'm with you, but I will guarantee you'll get at least a couple of posts telling you that it was--in fact--the Japanese who bombed Pearl Harbor! :cool:

2ndCitySox
08-23-2006, 06:02 PM
I'm with you, but I will guarantee you'll get at least a couple of posts telling you that it was--in fact--the Japanese who bombed Pearl Harbor! :cool:

A World Series badge (pledge pin)? On your uniforms? ...

The Immigrant
08-23-2006, 06:09 PM
Bluto: What the **** happened to the Delta I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the GUTS? HUH? This could be the greatest night of our lives, but you're going to let it be the worst. Oh, we're afraid to go with you Bluto. We might get in trouble. WELL JUST KISS MY ASS FROM NOW ON! NOT ME! I'M NOT GONNA TAKE THIS!

WORMER! HE'S A DEAD MAN! MARMALARD! DEAD! NEIDERMEYER!

Otter: Dead!

BlBluto: What the **** happened to the Delta I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the GUTS? HUH? This could be the greatest night of our lives, but you're going to let it be the worst. Oh, we're afraid to go with you Bluto. We might get in trouble. WELL JUST KISS MY ASS FROM NOW ON! NOT ME! I'M NOT GONNA TAKE THIS! WORMER! HE'S A DEAD MAN! MARMALARD! DEAD! NEIDERMEYER!
Otter: DEADuto: What the **** happened to the Delta I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the GUTS? HUH? This could be the greatest night of our lives, but you're going to let it be the worst. Oh, we're afraid to go with you Bluto. We might get in trouble. WELL JUST KISS MY ASS FROM NOW ON! NOT ME! I'M NOT GONNA TAKE THIS! WORMER! HE'S A DEAD MAN! MARMALARD! DEAD! NEIDERMEYER!
Otter: DEAD!

Frontman
08-23-2006, 06:11 PM
How come I'm having this mental image of the Sox doing a commercial parody of "Animal House" with Konerko and AJ as Boone and Otter, Jenks as Bluto, Anderson as Flounder?

"Toga, TOGA, TOGA, TOGA!!!" - Tadahito Iguchi.

Ok, maybe that's just too scary...

;)

Front

MarySwiss
08-23-2006, 06:21 PM
How come I'm having this mental image of the Sox doing a commercial parody of "Animal House" with Konerko and AJ as Boone and Otter, Jenks as Bluto, Anderson as Flounder?

"Toga, TOGA, TOGA, TOGA!!!" - Tadahito Iguchi.

Ok, maybe that's just too scary...

;)

Front

Front, this has the potential to be really funny. But probably not Clubhouse material. So I took it to the Parking Lot and set it up as a new thread.

soxinem1
08-23-2006, 06:30 PM
Who the **** is Kenny ****ing Rogers? That 41 year old piece of ****. What a ****ing joke that he shuts us down nearly every ****ing time we face that mother ****er.

Sorry but I'm really sick of certain pitchers owning this team and beating them over and over...and over...and over. Especially when one of them...is Kenny ****ing Rogers!

I agree with Teki that it's pretty disheartening to see the team this flat after an Ozzie reaming. It's obvious they're not up for the challenge of winning the division. After winning the World Series, why should they concern themselves with such a trivial matter?

All I can say is thank god Boston fell off the map. I don't think we'll have problems holding off Minnesota, so as long as they can get in, maybe they'll decide they want to win then.

Then you should have watched Dave Steib and Mike Boddicker pitch against the Sox.

Talk about disheartening.........

Frontman
08-23-2006, 06:31 PM
Front, this has the potential to be really funny. But probably not Clubhouse material. So I took it to the Parking Lot and set it up as a new thread.

Maybe, I just was typing what came to mind when I saw the thread's title.

Now, I do have a separate thought. Watch the Parking Lot for further details!

:)

Front

SluggersAway
08-23-2006, 06:40 PM
Oh man, I thought sox fans were supposed to be smart. Please read a history book. That headline is embarrasing. Take a look at this memo from the office of naval intel from Oct. 7, '40: http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/McCollum/index.html

EDIT: since someone kindly edited the thread title, for posterity's sake it read: was it over when Germany bombed Pearl Harbour?

Edit II: Jokes on me, never quite got around to seeing animal house. Play on.

Frontman
08-23-2006, 06:43 PM
Oh man, I thought sox fans were supposed to be smart. Please read a history book. That headline is embarrasing. Take a look at this memo from the office of naval intel from Oct. 7, '40: http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/McCollum/index.html

*sigh* And here I thought we were going to have fun with this.........

MarySwiss
08-23-2006, 06:45 PM
*sigh* And here I thought we were going to have fun with this.........

Told ya so!

BadBobbyJenks
08-23-2006, 06:46 PM
that quote has now reached I want to shoot my self in the head when I hear/read it status

I didnt find it funny in animal house and I dont find it funny now

Frontman
08-23-2006, 06:48 PM
Told ya so!

good thing you started the thread over there. I have another one starting soon.

MarySwiss
08-23-2006, 06:49 PM
that quote has now reached I want to shoot my self in the head when I hear/read it status

Well, BBJ; I might agree with you were it not for the fact that invariably we get someone who decides to lecture the rest of us on our pathetically inadequate education.

There's a lot to be said for comic relief! :smile:

I want Mags back
08-23-2006, 07:09 PM
was that a hyko

BadBobbyJenks
08-23-2006, 08:06 PM
Well, BBJ; I might agree with you were it not for the fact that invariably we get someone who decides to lecture the rest of us on our pathetically inadequate education.

There's a lot to be said for comic relief! :smile:

well thats true, the reaction of someone taking the quote seriously is funny

Jerko
08-23-2006, 08:22 PM
well thats true, the reaction of someone taking the quote seriously is funny

Not after 3000000000000 times. Which leaves us with about 14 more to go.