08-22-2006, 09:35 PM
That sucked.

BA: The Hitman
08-22-2006, 09:35 PM
well that was pathetic

1951Campbell
08-22-2006, 09:36 PM
http://www.gba-sp.de/artikel/images/1april/airplane.jpg
Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.

soxwon
And Everyone still expects us to win this?

Jurr
With Minnesota sucking ass tonight, it's not trouble time yet, but to see the Sox go 2-6 after winning 5 straight is discomforting.

The team played with its collective head down, and that's what scares me. They need to figure it out. They really need to just have fun and quit being so damn tight.

soltrain21
I have had such a crappy day. I would like to thank the White Sox for putting my day into baseball form.

sox1970
At least the Magic Number went down to 38.

I still think they'll split.

Hokiesox
08-22-2006, 09:37 PM
That does it for me, see everyone in 2007. This really sucks.

slobes
08-22-2006, 09:37 PM
We gotta pull it together really soon. That was terrible.

08-22-2006, 09:38 PM
They all just need to relax and play like they've got nothing to lose...its obvious that the pressure of living up to last year is getting to them right now.

QCIASOXFAN
There is no excuse for our offense to EVER not score a ****ing run.

soxwon
At least the Magic Number went down to 38.

I still think they'll split.

last year at this point the magic number was 29 for us.

Timmy D's
Well what we need to do now is get a split and a sweep, and get our butts back in this by Sunday.

-Farmio

Tragg
08-22-2006, 09:39 PM
I suggest that we let our pitchers hit and use the DH for the rally-killer Alomar.

The sad thing is that Detroit isn't playing well themselves....but well enough.

SouthSide_HitMen
I've been optimistic until today's game. If they don't get better efforts and I mean starting tomorrow, this could turn out to be a very disappointing season.

Uribe stranding Dye and Crede popping out on the first pitch with two on and nobody out were daggers. Corpseball on offense continues. :(:

It's Vazquez' fault.

BeviBall!
The Tigers had 3 errors and did we even get a runner past second? Unreal. What else can be said? Kenny has been lit up by every other team in the second half and we can't touch him.

I feel like I'm on the Enron Ride of Broken Dreams.

thomas35forever
PATHETIC.:angry:

What a craptacular evening.

soltrain21
Well what we need to do now is get a split and a sweep, and get our butts back in this by Sunday.

-Farmio

Farmio is an idiot....but yep.

Green
Joe Crede, with his 4 air outs tonight, now leads the majors in that category with 178.

soxwon

5-32 scoring less than 4 runs.

Unregistered
At least Detroit's Kenny Rogers has a goofy beard.

http://www.singaporesoxfan.com/uploaded_images/kenny_rogers-700795.jpg
"This is a beard, douchebag."

infohawk
08-22-2006, 09:40 PM
I'm trying hard not to be "negative" but it seems like the engine is sputtering and we're low on gas. I keep waiting for a hot streak and waiting, and waiting and waiting. The Wild Card may come down to a battle of attrition...which team will sputter the least.:(:

SpartanSoxFan
08-22-2006, 09:40 PM

This offense needs an industrial-grade enema, and has needed one since game 2 of the Kansas City series. And that starts at the top, particularly with the dude in your signature.

Pods, Gooch...bend over...:redneck

Kub_Killer_15
08-22-2006, 09:41 PM
Riding the White Sox roller coaster again...UP AND DOWN UP AND DOWN

southside rocks
The team played with its collective head down, and that's what scares me. They need to figure it out. They really need to just have fun and quit being so damn tight.

Agree. I don't believe any of the crap I read about how "loose" the clubhouse is -- those boys are so tight you couldn't drive a pin up their collective ass.

My dentist today was telling me that he loves his work. And I go home and watch some major league baseball players who look like they're having less fun than my dentist. That's just wrong.

Timmy D's
The Tigers had 3 errors and did we even get a runner past second? Unreal. What else can be said? Kenny has been lit up by every other team in the second half and we can't touch him.

I feel like I'm on the Enron Ride of Broken Dreams.

Not that it matters at all, but Dye did get to 3rd. Oh dolly we're hot today.:(:

Jerko
I am NOT impressed with Detroit OR Minnesota, but what does that say about us????????? Well, the first team that goes on a nice win streak should secure at least the WC. Just hope it's us. Silva sucked ass tonight, and Ty Punto, Ty Bartlett, and Ty Tyner were 0-fer the last time I checked. See, you CAN get them out. I can't believe we even have to worry about these teams actually. But, we do now.

QCIASOXFAN
08-22-2006, 09:42 PM
5-32 scoring less than 4 runs. That is a awful stat! Shows you what our starting pitchers are doing in close games. I was talking about just 1 run in general. There is no excuse for our offense to ever get shutout.

I've tried to stay positive and wait for this big winning streak that everyone has expected from this team, but I just don't see it happening with these corpses that call themselves a baseball team right now

And why was pierzynski not pinch-hitting for alomar with the bases loaded.....he just had a day off sunday and alomar looks like he couldn't hit a beach ball right now

gobears1987
Uribe = worthless.

Unregistered
Not that it matters at all, but Dye did get to 3rd. Oh dolly we're hot today.:(:So did Konerko.

southside rocks
08-22-2006, 09:43 PM
The sad thing is that Detroit isn't playing well themselves....but well enough.

They're making defensive errors but their pitchers aren't melting down afterwards. Big difference.

soxwon
Lets hang in there folks.
if it dont work out my seasons tickets have ALLREADY been paid off, with the money, from playoff tickets.
thats cool.....CARLITO

jenn2080
****ing joke

DickAllen72
Sandy sure straightened Buehrle out. And he really came through in the clutch at the plate.

Ozzie's all-righty lineup comes up big again! And let's hear it for our "Captain".

It's time to fix this lineup. One run in two games isn't gonna cut it. Dye should be batting third and Gload should be starting in LF.

Anyway, the race for the division Title is OVER. Let's see if they can hold onto the WC.

If they do get in the playoffs, look for a quick exit with this pitching staff the way it has been.

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

PeoriaSoxFan
08-22-2006, 09:44 PM
How many total losses do we have this year vs. Kenny Rogers and Johan Santanna?

greygoose
Thanks PK for the rally killing GiDP's.

MrX
um, the offense can't be anyworse.

Sandy Alomar must have kickass game preparation because Widger could be doing what he's doing.

Looks like Ozzie had the right idea getting tossed so he didn't have to watch that crapfest.

Thank God Freddie is going tomorrow

mjmcend
08-22-2006, 09:45 PM
Kenny Rogers. Always sucks in the 2nd half. Except against the White Sox.

gobears1987
I'm one of the most optimistic people here and I'm reaching my breaking point.

Optimistic post of the day: This team is really streaky. If we can get to the playoffs, we might get lucky and just then hit a huge win streak. I wouldn't like to win that way, but all that matters is who is hoisting the trophy up on their shoulders in 2 months.

Unregistered
And why was pierzynski not pinch-hitting for alomar with the bases loaded.....he just had a day off sunday and alomar looks like he couldn't hit a beach ball right now
Probably because Joey Cora was the acting manager.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/2004/05/01/tlpaoC3l.jpg
"Um... Ozzie?"

Timmy D's
08-22-2006, 09:46 PM
How many total losses do we have this year vs. Kenny Rogers and Johan Santanna?

Like Paul Newman said in Slapshot, "We got a lotta losses!!!":(:

QCIASOXFAN
This offense needs an industrial-grade enema, and has needed one since game 2 of the Kansas City series. And that starts at the top, particularly with the dude in your signature.

Pods, Gooch...bend over...:redneckSure lets blame it on my signature. :tongue: Unfortunately we cant tonight because he didn't play.

Green
Luckily I fell asleep

rookie
08-22-2006, 09:47 PM
With Minnesota sucking ass tonight, it's not trouble time yet, but to see the Sox go 2-6 after winning 5 straight is discomforting.

Yep, but remember last year they did that too at this time of year. And when did they start playing more loose...after they clinched the division. We can't wait that long this time around. We don't have a giant lead to mess around with.

Well watching that game sucked. I know that a loss is a loss, but they are just not in it, or as someone said - flat. 1 run off a homer when playing the divsion leader.

Time to turn off the radio and listen to a new cd. Find that happy place, and hope that the Sox find theirs for the next 5 games.

gobears1987
Bashing Paulie is just idiotic. He normally comes through so the one time he doesn't, everyone starts blaiming him. Get a grip people!!! Paulie is far from our biggest problem. At least he is usually consistent. The same can't be said for Juan "watch me swing for the fences and make errors" Uribe.

infohawk
Pardon me for being Mr. Obvious, but the starting pitching just isn't there and Scotty is no longer a spark at the top of the order. I guess what's troubling me the most is that it appears that this is just the way of things this year. It's just not improving. The later it gets the less likely they will "recapture" what they had going last year. I really, really think that the innings pitched last year have caught up with the starters. Even if this is the case, it was so worth it! Yeah, the hitting has been up and down, but if the Sox don't make the playoffs we have no further to look than the starting pitching. Simple as that. That said, Minnesota and Boston have problems too. It is very, very unlikely we can catch the Tigers without a streak of red-hot ball, which is looking more and more unlikely at this time.

Optimistic post of the day: This team is really streaky. If we can get to the playoffs, we might get lucky and just then hit a huge win streak. I wouldn't like to win that way, but all that matters is who is hoisting the trophy up on their shoulders in 2 months.

This is true......but we haven't had the huge win streak everyone has been expecting this year and I see no signs that it will be happeneing anytime soon. don't worry gobears, you're not the only one who is at the breaking point.

Grzegorz

With the way the pitching has been all year this team in not capable of a huge win streak.

Jurr
Agree. I don't believe any of the crap I read about how "loose" the clubhouse is -- those boys are so tight you couldn't drive a pin up their collective ass.

My dentist today was telling me that he loves his work. And I go home and watch some major league baseball players who look like they're having less fun than my dentist. That's just wrong.
Dentists are kick ass individuals. We have lots of fun! We realize how good we have it (due to years of hard work), relax, and do our business.

Hey, sounds like a plan for the Sox. They need to RELAX.

That "fight or flight" response in your nervous system is no joke. It can make you go from a star into a bumbling idiot, because you're trying to think too much. You get jumpy and miss everything. In baseball terms, it's called PRESSING. See how good the Sox played last year when they stopped pressing (after that final out in Detroit?)

It's time to stop getting caught up in the what ifs, and just play Sox ball. Period. Get that swagger back.

AnkleSox

But when have they really gone on THAT hot of a streak. It seems like they may win 5 in a row but then they lose 6 of their next 8. That doesn't get you through the playoffs. (I could just be forgetting any prolonged winning streaks because of how terrible things have been lately.) :(:

DickAllen72
08-22-2006, 09:48 PM

That's because of Ozzie's all righty lineup.

gobears1987
With the way the pitching has been all year this team in not capable of a huge win streak.*cough* 9 game win streak *cough*

Remember, back in June? We've also had an 8 game one this year IIRC.

I want Mags back
we suck,cant saymuch more

SpartanSoxFan
08-22-2006, 09:49 PM
Sure lets blame it on my signature. :tongue: Unfortunately we cant tonight because he didn't play.

You are right, I can't blame him tonight...but lately you have to admit his value as a major-league leadoff hitter is at an all-time low.

Hokiesox
If they do get in the playoffs, look for a quick exit with this pitching staff the way it has been.

Where's Jim Mora when you need him?

JB98
We're struggling in all areas. I have nothing good to say. Nothing at all.

Jerko
08-22-2006, 09:50 PM
I don't mind losing every now and then, but the Sox are getting the **** spanked out of them lately. Every game they've lost recently has been by 4 runs or more. 10-4, 7-3 twice, 4-0, come on, they're not even close lately. Well, they're still half game up, and they need 4 of these next 5 to make me happy. And NO LETDOWNS vs. Tampa next week either.

BeviBall!
08-22-2006, 09:50 PM
I really, really think that the innings pitched last year have caught up with the starters. Even if this is the case, it was so worth it!

I agree and I agree. Each pitcher threw so many pressure filled innings there just had to be repercussions. It was totally worth it.

southside rocks
08-22-2006, 09:51 PM
[QUOTE=Jurr]Dentists are kick ass individuals. We have lots of fun! We realize how good we have it (due to years of hard work), relax, and do our business.
[QUOTE]

That's exactly what my dentist said! He really is a cool guy, and he said 'when I got out of school, I stopped working. This is all fun.'

Maybe the Sox need a dentist/motivational speaker to visit the clubhouse. :tongue:

Unregistered
*cough* 9 game win streak *cough*

Yeah, and that was back when people were going "and you know what the scary thing is? They've won 9 in a row and they're STILL not firing on all cylinders!" Not to sound dark-cloudish (really), but perhaps they actually WERE firing on all cylinders back then... :dunno:

southsideirish71
I wonder if our team knows how to take a pitch the other way. The gameplan against the gambler that teams usually use, is poke the ball into right, make him come over the middle and then mash him into outer space.

They should just put 3 infielders on the left side of the diamond and paulie would hit about 215 for the year.

QCIASOXFAN
You are right, I can't blame him tonight...but lately you have to admit his value as a major-league leadoff hitter is at an all-time low.I cant argue with you on that, but you could also say the same for at least 2 of our starting pitchers.

gobears1987
08-22-2006, 09:52 PM
I agree and I agree. Each pitcher threw so many pressure filled innings there just had to be repercussions. It was totally worth it.GIving up 4 runs to the team with the best record in baseball is hardly what I'd call ****ty pitching. The big problem right now is that our bats aren't getting it done either.

wassagstdu

Isn't this the part of the season that Ozzie paced the starters for the whole year, so the Sox' depth would help them stay fresh in August and September when the Tigers faded because they would peak too early?

caulfield12
I am NOT impressed with Detroit OR Minnesota, but what does that say about us????????? Well, the first team that goes on a nice win streak should secure at least the WC. Just hope it's us. Silva sucked ass tonight, and Ty Punto, Ty Bartlett, and Ty Tyner were 0-fer the last time I checked. See, you CAN get them out. I can't believe we even have to worry about these teams actually. But, we do now.

Now we're even letting the Angels and Blue Jays into this...both could be only 6 1/2 out, less than our margin behind DET.

DickAllen72
I wonder if our team knows how to take a pitch the other way.

Gload does.

CaptainBallz
You got to know when to hold Em..
Know when to fold em..
Know when to walk away..
Know when to run..

You never count your.....

Ah, **** It!!

BOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Right this ship, Palehose...quick.

Unregistered
08-22-2006, 09:53 PM
I really, really think that the innings pitched last year have caught up with the starters. Even if this is the case, it was so worth it! Big time. That's what's getting me through this season, that's for sure.

A. Cavatica
08-22-2006, 09:53 PM
I cant argue with you on that, but you could also say the same for at least 2 of our starting pitchers.

Buehrle and Garcia are certainly at their all-time lows, and Vazquez escapes only because he sucked in NYC after being the next big thing. Contreras is mortal but still gives a good effort most nights.

spiffie
08-22-2006, 09:54 PM
Maybe the Sox need a dentist/motivational speaker to visit the clubhouse. :tongue:
http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2005/09/22/fondue_marathonman_wideweb__430x240.jpg

If things keep going like this, perhaps they ought to get a visit from this dentist.

BeviBall!
08-22-2006, 09:54 PM
GIving up 4 runs to the team with the best record in baseball is hardly what I'd call ****ty pitching. The big problem right now is that our bats aren't getting it done either.

I hear ya. We just can't get everything going in the right direction, for an extended period of time. My dream is to see the Opening Day Nine for a full week. Just one week. We don't have a big lead this year, giving us the luxury of resting everyone. We have to push hard with our starters.

SpartanSoxFan
08-22-2006, 09:55 PM
Where's Jim Mora when you need him?

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/nfl/2001/0904/photo/s_mora_i.jpg

"Playoffs?! D'Oh!!!" :redneck

viagracat
08-22-2006, 09:56 PM
I missed most of the game but did see the 8th and 9th. Harrelson was saying then that the Tigers simply outhustled the Sox tonight (and last night) and thus wanted the game more. That's a huge indictment of the Sox if true. If you can't get up for a series like this then fuhgedaboudit.

QCIASOXFAN
Buehrle and Garcia are certainly at their all-time lows, and Vazquez escapes only because he sucked in NYC after being the next big thing. Contreras is mortal but still gives a good effort most nights.I have so much more faith in Garcia then Vazquez or Buehrle. I don't think I'm alone on this either.

Jerko
I hear ya. We just can't get everything going in the right direction, for an extended period of time. My dream is to see the Opening Day Nine for a full week. Just one week. We don't have a big lead this year, giving us the luxury of resting everyone. We have to push hard with our starters.

I agree. I've been bitching about that since the all star break. It seemed every time Uribe or BA or even Pods were just getting hot, they were benched. Oh well, there's still time, but we better start winning, NOW.

Grzegorz
08-22-2006, 09:58 PM
*cough* 9 game win streak *cough*

Did you bother to look at those scores?

This is playoff time, the games are tight, pitching is at a premium. I am not convinced they can rip off an eight or nine game streak at this time without consistent pitching.

viagracat
http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2005/09/22/fondue_marathonman_wideweb__430x240.jpg

If things keep going like this, perhaps they ought to get a visit from this dentist.

Regarding Detroit's lead: "Is it safe?"

It will be by Thursday the way the Sox are playing. :angry:

kitekrazy
um, the offense can't be anyworse.

Sandy Alomar must have kickass game preparation because Widger could be doing what he's doing.

Looks like Ozzie had the right idea getting tossed so he didn't have to watch that crapfest.

Thank God Freddie is going tomorrow

I don't think Alomar calls a good game. I give some credit to the pitching success last year because of A.J.

I wonder if tomorrow will fit Freddy's definition of a "big game"?

infohawk
GIving up 4 runs to the team with the best record in baseball is hardly what I'd call ****ty pitching. The big problem right now is that our bats aren't getting it done either. I don't think anyone's suggesting Buerhle pitched poorly tonight. I also don't think anyone's suggesting the offense isn't in a funk right now. When it's all said and done though, any failure to make the playoffs will be because the Sox didn't pitch well enough over 162 games. I actually don't have many qualms with the Sox offense. The Sox have scored more runs than any other team in the league. Every offense is going to struggle on occasion. The problem is that our pitching cost us so many games up to this point that it's easy to get upset about the hitting slump. If we pitched this year like we pitched last year, the reaction to a game like this would be "Meh, get 'em tomorrow."

southside rocks
I agree. I've been bitching about that since the all star break.

The Sox were 27 games over .500 at the ASB. What are they now, 22 over? They're going in the wrong direction ...

DickAllen72
08-22-2006, 09:59 PM
I missed most of the game but did see the 8th and 9th. Harrelson was saying then that the Tigers simply outhustled the Sox tonight (and last night) and thus wanted the game more. That's a huge indictment of the Sox if true. If you can't get up for a series like this then fuhgedaboudit.

Hawk always has something to say. I wish he would try to actually announce the game for once.

100 Year Itch
ZZzzz...

This type of baseball the Sox are playing is just plain boring to watch.

It's back to feast or famine offensively.

Iguchi, in the 8th, had the best at bat of the game. I think he looked at five pitches and drew the walk. Of course, after that, Thome and Paulie came up hacking.

I think our batters should just keep the bat on their shoulders as it cannot get much worse than is already.

alohafri
A few weeks ago, many posters would be calling posters like this "dark clouds." Maybe they just saw things that the rest of us refused to admit. This team just isn't that good! This is the "Team Drudgery" of 2002-2004...home run or nothing! Not the Champs of last year, built on pitching and defense.

MadetoOrta
If, as Harrelson says, the Twins and the Tigers want it more then there is a major problem with either: a) personnel; or b) the manager. I just hope this misery ends mercifully for all of us and not in a 1-0 loss at Minnesota the last weekend of the year.

DickAllen72
08-22-2006, 10:00 PM
I don't think anyone's suggesting Buerhle pitched poorly tonight.

He sure did pitch poorly.

infohawk
08-22-2006, 10:01 PM

This is playoff time, the games are tight, pitching is at a premium. I am not convinced they can rip off an eight or nine game streak at this time without consistent pitching. That streak was also against the soft underbelly that is the National League IIRC. We gave up a lot of runs if my memory serves me. Fortunately we scored a TON of runs against NL pitching.

infohawk
08-22-2006, 10:02 PM
He sure did pitch poorly.
I couldn't get the game down here but four runs seems passable. Of course, I'm comparing that to the seven runs Jose has given up in each of his last two starts.

kitekrazy
08-22-2006, 10:03 PM
I agree. I've been bitching about that since the all star break. It seemed every time Uribe or BA or even Pods were just getting hot, they were benched. Oh well, there's still time, but we better start winning, NOW.

Well someone needs to send the message that the season ends after Sept.

infohawk
08-22-2006, 10:04 PM
If, as Harrelson says, the Twins and the Tigers want it more then there is a major problem with either: a) personnel; or b) the manager. I just hope this misery ends mercifully for all of us and not in a 1-0 loss at Minnesota the last weekend of the year. I still stand by my belief that the only thing wrong with this team this year is the performance of the starting pitchers. The offense is better and Ozzie hasn't become a "bad" manager since last year. The pitchers just haven't gotten it done. It's that simple.

Jjav829
08-22-2006, 10:06 PM
At 8:20 p.m. we had runners on 1st and 2nd with our #3 and #4 hitters coming up. Down 4-0, it looked like we might have a rally going. By 8:21 p.m. the inning was over. That's about as fast as you'll ever see a potential rally killed and it pretty much typifies how this team is playing right now.

samram
08-22-2006, 10:06 PM
We're struggling in all areas. I have nothing good to say. Nothing at all.

As seems to be the case lately, it's as if you're channeling my thoughts. They're not good enough right now- it's plain and simple. I really thought with Ozzie as manager, this team would play loose and hard in every game, but it's pretty apparent that they're extremely tight and seem to hope things will happen instead of making them happen. It's a god damn shame.

DachnoPiitu
08-22-2006, 10:07 PM
There is no better time than now to WIN OR DIE TRYING

QCIASOXFAN
08-22-2006, 10:07 PM
I still stand by my belief that the only thing wrong with this team this year is the performance of the starting pitchers. The offense is better and Ozzie hasn't become a "bad" manager since last year. The pitchers just haven't gotten it done. It's that simple.I agree with you on that the pitching part and Ozzie still being the man (unless he leaves the starters in to long) but if you cant see that our offense has gone dormant at times since the break you must not be watching the games.

kitekrazy
08-22-2006, 10:08 PM
I think our batters should just keep the bat on their shoulders as it cannot get much worse than is already.

They do that. It happens when men are on base with very inconsistent umpiring. THere was this rule in Little League about protecting the plate with 2 strikes.

MadetoOrta
08-22-2006, 10:12 PM
At 8:20 p.m. we had runners on 1st and 2nd with our #3 and #4 hitters coming up. Down 4-0, it looked like we might have a rally going. By 8:21 p.m. the inning was over. That's about as fast as you'll ever see a potential rally killed and it pretty much typifies how this team is playing right now.

Paul and Thome left a combined 7 runners on base. I appreciate that I'm a minority here but Thome has done little in the past few weeks - crunch time. He's not even in the same ballpark as Big Papi. On a happy note, Burls threw a solid game.

infohawk
08-22-2006, 10:16 PM
I agree with you on that the pitching part and Ozzie still being the man (unless he leaves the starters in to long) but if you cant see that our offense has gone dormant at times since the break you must not be watching the games.
Sure, it goes dormant at times. All I'm saying is that over a 162 game season, the poor pitching is tougher to overcome than an occasionally slumping offense. The pitchers have put a terrific burden of the offense at times. Take tonight for example. The Sox were down 3-0 very quickly. Last year they usually had a lead early, even if it was 1-0. It effects the flow of the game. A hitter is much looser and more productive when there's a runner on third with one-out and a 2-0 lead. A sacrifice fly becomes more significant and achievable. The same situation with a 3 or 4 run deficit can make a hitter try and do more than he should.

TheOldRoman
08-22-2006, 10:16 PM
Another shameful performance by the 86 Bears tonight.

This is just beyond belief. No, the season isn't over, but we are seeing the same crap we have seen all year. Bad starting pitching, bad defense, inconsistant relief pitching, pitchers throwing WAY too many pitches (including watching 2 pitches after going up 0-2), horribly inconsistant offense, horrible offense against very bad pitchers, horrible performances against lefties (mediocre ones in particular), inability to move runners over, inability to get a sac fly, not hitting the ball the other way, chasing bad pitches and taking good ones, trying to hit a 5 run homer on every swing, and no clutch hitting whatsoever. Why and how is this going to change overnight?

This is the greatest White Sox team ever assembled, and they have done nothing but underachieve. The 86 Bears followed up the greatest football team of all-time with a nosedive, and killed a would-be dynasty. The Sox are about ready to do the same. It is disgusting because this is the most wasted talent I have ever seen in any sport. Worst of all is the total lack of drive or a sense of urgency. These players act as if it is May. They talk about there being a lot of time left, and it being a long season. After yesterday, Dye said "it's just another game, we will bounce back." I hope so, Jermaine.

2ndCitySox
08-22-2006, 10:17 PM
Without Thome and Konerko not hitting, and Dye had a bad game, it effectively takes at least 3 innings away from us. Add Crede's ineffectiveness, Pods (or whomever-i.e. Pablo), and Uribe, we're playing 1/3 of each game offensively. The odds aren't good until they pick it up, and now's not the time to SUCK!

Senerch23

This is playoff time, the games are tight, pitching is at a premium. I am not convinced they can rip off an eight or nine game streak at this time without consistent pitching.

Yeah, the team scored 92 runs in a 10 game span to get that 9 game winning streak. The way the bats have looked lately, I don't see them duplicating that feat.

eurotrash35
Sure, it goes dormant at times. All I'm saying is that over a 162 game season, the poor pitching is tougher to overcome than an occasionally slumping offense. The pitchers have put a terrific burden of the offense at times. Take tonight for example. The Sox were down 3-0 very quickly. Last year they usually had a lead early, even if it was 1-0. It effects the flow of the game. A hitter is much looser and more productive when there's a runner on third with one-out and a 2-0 lead. A sacrifice fly becomes more significant and achievable. The same situation with a 3 or 4 run deficit can make a hitter try and do more than he should.

poor babies. maybe we should throw them an extra million or two for the extra stress they've had to endure this year. :rolleyes:

DannyCaterFan
08-22-2006, 10:18 PM
We're 20 - 25 since July 2nd, so we have been in this funk for quite awhile now. I don't see anything to suggest we will get any better. The guys are really pressing.:(:

2ndCitySox
08-22-2006, 10:20 PM
Even if the Twins keep losing, and we spilt or worse with Detroit, I'm not so sure we're going to the post season. It's almost time to panic. There's no time left to **** around.

soxfanreggie
08-22-2006, 10:21 PM
We're struggling right now-no doubt about it. However, we just have to hope that our guys starting getting the clutch hits, our starters start throwing like they did earlier, etc. I hope this is like the slide we had at the end of the season last year where we just come out of it and dominate (like we did in the playoffs).

In comparison with his last 10 starts, this was a better one for Burls. In comparison with his career, not a particularly good one for him.

Unregistered
08-22-2006, 10:22 PM
After yesterday, Dye said "it's just another game, we will bounce back." I hope so, Jermaine.
Well then you will be happy to find out that after tonight's game, Dye said "We are SO screwed. So. Effing. Screwed." and stormed out of the locker room in tears...

2ndCitySox
08-22-2006, 10:22 PM
We're struggling right now-no doubt about it. However, we just have to hope that our guys starting getting the clutch hits, our starters start throwing like they did earlier, etc. I hope this is like the slide we had at the end of the season last year where we just come out of it and dominate (like we did in the playoffs).

In comparison with his last 10 starts, this was a better one for Burls. In comparison with his career, not a particularly good one for him.

Alright, I done with the hoping. You can hope in one hand and pee in the other. Which fills faster? Again, this is no time for the wheels to come flying off.

MadetoOrta
08-22-2006, 10:24 PM
We've scored exactly 1 run in 18 innings in the "biggest series of the season"! Post-season baseball is not in the cards friends unless - as I wrote the other day - by default because Minnesota and Boston don't grab it. By the way, don't look now but we're playing the AL West and Toronto right back into the WildCard race. I see a scenario involving us having to win in Minneapolis to win the Wild Card. Oh well.

samram
08-22-2006, 10:25 PM
We're 20 - 25 since July 2nd, so we have been in this funk for quite awhile now. I don't see anything to suggest we will get any better. The guys are really pressing.:(:

They are pressing, no doubt. Someone in the starting rotation has to take command and start being lights out. I was hoping it would be Buehrle, but he's not the same pitcher he was last year. He's a completely different guy. Right now, the team has no leadoff hitter, several slumping hitters in the heart of the order, a catcher who looks exhausted, a SS who's regressed from last year, and basically a bad starting rotation. That's bad. I would submit that this weekend's series just became bigger than the rest of this series.

soxwon
08-22-2006, 10:25 PM
Pardon me for being Mr. Obvious, but the starting pitching just isn't there and Scotty is no longer a spark at the top of the order. I guess what's troubling me the most is that it appears that this is just the way of things this year. It's just not improving. The later it gets the less likely they will "recapture" what they had going last year. I really, really think that the innings pitched last year have caught up with the starters. Even if this is the case, it was so worth it! Yeah, the hitting has been up and down, but if the Sox don't make the playoffs we have no further to look than the starting pitching. Simple as that. That said, Minnesota and Boston have problems too. It is very, very unlikely we can catch the Tigers without a streak of red-hot ball, which is looking more and more unlikely at this time.

time to make a deal for a LF.
shawn green got traded to SF today.

Lip Man 1
08-22-2006, 10:27 PM
I don't know if I can add anything that hasn't already been said. This team's only consistent has been their inconsistency.

Trying to predict what they will or won't do is useless...with these guys you simply don't know.

That's the single biggest question of the season in my mind...not the pitching, not the hitting not even the managing. Why is this team with all this acknowledged talent underperforming?

I hope Kenny can figure it out and roll some heads in the off season. This entire year has been upsetting and if they stay the course will be extremely disappointing...I don't care how many games over .500 they finish. The bar was raised like year, fair or unfairly. (and I don't mean Ron!)

Lip

Unregistered
You can hope in one hand and pee in the other. Which fills faster?
Well to be fair, if you pee in your hand, it's really just going to through your fingers, so it's not like you're really gonna fill one hand with pee anytime soon. It's probably a little easier with two hands, but you've got that one hand you're trying to fill with the stuff you're hoping for, so that's out.

What? I'm just saying... :dunno:

TheOldRoman
Well then you will be happy to find out that after tonight's game, Dye said "We are SO screwed. So. Effing. Screwed." and stormed out of the locker room in tears...
How about "We played like crap tonight, and we have played like crap for the past two months. This is entirely unacceptable, and if we don't step it up, we will be golfing in October."

2ndCitySox
08-22-2006, 10:28 PM
We've scored exactly 1 run in 18 innings in the "biggest series of the season"! Post-season baseball is not in the cards friends unless - as I wrote the other day - by default because Minnesota and Boston don't grab it. By the way, don't look now but we're playing the AL West and Toronto right back into the WildCard race. I see a scenario involving us having to win in Minneapolis to win the Wild Card. Oh well.

Yeah, that one run was a JD HR. Nothing else to talk about in two games. Even Hawk and DJ said that they're not hungry....they're not. Maybe Jerry needs to go on a George tirade, and why not? Shake things up; too much sediment and settling for mediocrity.

QCIASOXFAN
08-22-2006, 10:29 PM
Another shameful performance by the 86 Bears tonight.

This is just beyond belief. No, the season isn't over, but we are seeing the same crap we have seen all year. Bad starting pitching, bad defense, inconsistant relief pitching, pitchers throwing WAY too many pitches (including watching 2 pitches after going up 0-2), horribly inconsistant offense, horrible offense against very bad pitchers, horrible performances against lefties (mediocre ones in particular), inability to move runners over, inability to get a sac fly, not hitting the ball the other way, chasing bad pitches and taking good ones, trying to hit a 5 run homer on every swing, and no clutch hitting whatsoever. Why and how is this going to change overnight?

This is the greatest White Sox team ever assembled, and they have done nothing but underachieve. The 86 Bears followed up the greatest football team of all-time with a nosedive, and killed a would-be dynasty. The Sox are about ready to do the same. It is disgusting because this is the most wasted talent I have ever seen in any sport. Worst of all is the total lack of drive or a sense of urgency. These players act as if it is May. They talk about there being a lot of time left, and it being a long season. After yesterday, Dye said "it's just another game, we will bounce back." I hope so, Jermaine.Roman, I was just a pup back in 86 when the Bears did that, but if the worst takes place this year I will need to know how you got through that dark time.

infohawk
08-22-2006, 10:31 PM
I have to say, I'm getting frustrated but I'm not really getting angry. The Sox organization did just about everything right. Most teams coming off a championship rest on their laurels and fail. KW upgraded the offense with Thome because he realized it was somewhat fluky that the Sox won so many tight games in 2005. He replaced El Duque with Vazquez, which I thought was a very good move at the time (Duque wouldn't have helped us this year anyway). KW made a very, very under-the-radar shrewd trade for Matt Thornton. He also augmented a struggling bullpen with Riske and MacDougal when it became obvious that Cliff was done.

I don't think anyone in the organization thought in their wildest dreams that Buerhle would have a hellish year, Garcia would become a soft-tosser, Garland would struggle mightily for much of the first half and Contreras would begin to struggle in the second half. Vazquez always had the potential of struggling based on his Yankee experience. I think the front office anticipated any given starter might need some rest at one point or another, but figured Brandon could perhaps spot-start on occasion. This was actually the motivation for the Vazquez trade -- to protect the pitching staff. I just don't think they anticipated that so many of these guys would struggle simultaneously. Again, I think some of them are worn down from last year and could be rejuvinated next year with more rest. Who knows?

logansquaresox
I'm playing bad baseball bingo instead of scoring the game tomorrow. I even made up the card if anyone else wants to play. Hopefully, by the end of this week the Sox will force me to make a good baseball bingo card.

Unregistered
How about "We played like crap tonight, and we have played like crap for the past two months. This is entirely unacceptable, and if we don't step it up, we will be golfing in October."Well, that just goes without saying. :cool:

2ndCitySox
08-22-2006, 10:32 PM
How about "We played like crap tonight, and we have played like crap for the past two months. This is entirely unacceptable, and if we don't step it up, we will be golfing in October."

No they will be golfing in October. I have to work. Doesn't sound too bad if you're them!

ChiSoxGirl
08-22-2006, 10:33 PM
Well, that was horse manure and Corpseball at its finest! :rolleyes: :angry: I think I need to go :puking: .

RowanDye
08-22-2006, 10:34 PM
But when have they really gone on THAT hot of a streak. It seems like they may win 5 in a row but then they lose 6 of their next 8. That doesn't get you through the playoffs. (I could just be forgetting any prolonged winning streaks because of how terrible things have been lately.) :(:

It does if you're not in the AL central. I don't want to be the dumbass optimistic, but we're in the same spot we were yesterday.

We control our playoff destiny!

If we can't step it up then we just don't deserve a spot, sounds like a fun challenge to me. The team is playing like crap right now, but if they rip of 4 or 5 we'll all be behind them again.

2ndCitySox
08-22-2006, 10:36 PM
It does if you're not in the AL central. I don't want to be the dumbass optimistic, but we're in the same spot we were yesterday.

We control our playoff destiny!

If we can't step it up then we just don't deserve a spot, sounds like a fun challenge to me. The team is playing like crap right now, but if they rip of 4 or 5 we'll all be behind them again.
Bull ****, dude, what two games were you watching? This team flat out sucks. And that doesn't even count the Twins and Royals series.

samram
08-22-2006, 10:37 PM
Yeah, that one run was a JD HR. Nothing else to talk about in two games. Even Hawk and DJ said that they're not hungry....they're not. Maybe Jerry needs to go on a George tirade, and why not? Shake things up; too much sediment and settling for mediocrity.

I haven't seen the Sox feed of these games- are Hawk and DJ actually saying the Sox aren't hungry? I wonder if they're saying it to the players' faces. Not that it matters in the grand scheme of things, I'm just curious.

kitekrazy
Well to be fair, if you pee in your hand, it's really just going to through your fingers, so it's not like you're really gonna fill one hand with pee anytime soon. It's probably a little easier with two hands, but you've got that one hand you're trying to fill with the stuff you're hoping for, so that's out.

What? I'm just saying... :dunno:

But Moises ALou said it will toughen your hands. So pee in both of them.

JB98
I have to say, I'm getting frustrated but I'm not really getting angry. The Sox organization did just about everything right. Most teams coming off a championship rest on their laurels and fail. KW upgraded the offense with Thome because he realized it was somewhat fluky that the Sox won so many tight games in 2005. He replaced El Duque with Vazquez, which I thought was a very good move at the time (Duque wouldn't have helped us this year anyway). KW made a very, very under-the-radar shrewd trade for Matt Thornton. He also augmented a struggling bullpen with Riske and MacDougal when it became obvious that Cliff was done.

I don't think anyone in the organization thought in their wildest dreams that Buerhle would have a hellish year, Garcia would become a soft-tosser, Garland would struggle mightily for much of the first half and Contreras would begin to struggle in the second half. Vazquez always had the potential of struggling based on his Yankee experience. I think the front office anticipated any given starter might need some rest at one point or another, but figured Brandon could perhaps spot-start on occasion. This was actually the motivation for the Vazquez trade -- to protect the pitching staff. I just don't think they anticipated that so many of these guys would struggle simultaneously. Again, I think some of them are worn down from last year and could be rejuvinated next year with more rest. Who knows?

They'll be rejuvenated for some other team because KW is going to make some changes if we don't make the playoffs. Hell, even if we win the whole thing, KW is going to make some changes.

This team just isn't as good as we all thought it would be. Maybe we are all the victims of our own expectations. I know I was thinking 100 wins. Leyland and Gardenhire have buttered us up in the press, saying the Sox are "better than last year." LOL. I suppose it's still possible this team could finish 99-63 and run 11-1 through the playoffs, but I wouldn't bet the mortgage.

2ndCitySox
08-22-2006, 10:39 PM
They'll be rejuvenated for some other team because KW is going to make some changes if we don't make the playoffs. Hell, even if we win the whole thing, KW is going to make some changes.

This team just isn't as good as we all thought it would be. Maybe we are all the victims of our own expectations. I know I was thinking 100 wins. Leyland and Gardenhire have buttered us up in the press, saying the Sox are "better than last year." LOL. I suppose it's still possible this team could finish 99-63 and run 11-1 through the playoffs, but I wouldn't bet the mortgage.

I wouldn't bet a rat's ass after since ASB; even less when Javy is starting.

DannyCaterFan
After the seventh inning, I gave up and switched over to watching Lemont win in the Little League World Series. At least they have consistant pitching.

JB98
I haven't seen the Sox feed of these games- are Hawk and DJ actually saying the Sox aren't hungry? I wonder if they're saying it to the players' faces. Not that it matters in the grand scheme of things, I'm just curious.

That's an interesting question. I disagree with Hawk. I think the players are pressing under the weight of lofty expectations. They care. They are hungry. They just can't get the job done. Hawk is speaking like a frustrated fan, as many in this forum are.

2ndCitySox
After the seventh inning, I gave up and switched over to watching Lemont win in the Little League World Series. At least they have consistant pitching.

SIGN 'EM.

gobears1987
08-22-2006, 10:44 PM
I understand frustration, but some of the overboard coments here make me wish that the bandwagoners would stay away.

It's OK to be pissed off, but some of the comments here saying the season is over are just foolish. There is still 6 weeks left of the regular season. ANYTHING can happen. We might just flat out suck or we might go on a huge run like Cleveland did around this time last year.

SouthSide_HitMen
08-22-2006, 10:44 PM

Well two people may be happy with that scenario:

:farmer

"Where do you want to shoot today?"

:hawk

"He'll I don't know Ed"

samram
08-22-2006, 10:45 PM

I'm not at all upset with KW. His job is to make the team look good on paper, which he did. I'm upset with the players, especially the pitchers not named Garland, who have all taken a big dump in their pants.

Deebs14
08-22-2006, 10:45 PM
Man, I almost went Elvis on my computer following that ****fest online. It's amazing how trying to overcome three and four run deficits as of late is like overcoming a ten run deficit. :(:

Here's to Fred Ex throwing an abosolute gem tomorrow. :gulp:

2ndCitySox
08-22-2006, 10:49 PM
Here's to Fred Ex throwing an abosolute gem tomorrow. :gulp:

LMAO. :D: :gulp:

hawkjt
08-22-2006, 10:49 PM
I firmly believe subscribe to the theory you are never as bad as you look when you are going bad, and vice versa. We are not this bad.

I actually thought Buerhle looked better tonite- the strike zone hurt him in all their runs.

Grind on sox. Veteran teams play all 162 games. The last two three weeks you can still overcome a deficit.

Hawk was talking intensity, which the last two years he totally attributed to our manager , but he does not mention ozzie now. yet he is ready and willing to rip Manuel for the same issues.

CaptainBallz
08-22-2006, 10:51 PM

Seriously, I would feel 10x better if I actually heard that coming out of their mouths. Even if their "one game at a time" spiel is supposed to convey the cool-under-pressure confidence of a champion caliber team, it comes across as ambivalent and utterly complacent with their own horrible play. We're not just talking tough losses, we are talking COMPLETELY HORRIBLE BASEBALL that's being played by this team.

It's unacceptable that they've let it go this long and aren't seriously addressing it to the fans.

samram
08-22-2006, 10:52 PM
That's an interesting question. I disagree with Hawk. I think the players are pressing under the weight of lofty expectations. They care. They are hungry. They just can't get the job done. Hawk is speaking like a frustrated fan, as many in this forum are.

Yeah, that's what I think. When you aren't hitting, you look like you're not hungry.

JB98
08-22-2006, 10:53 PM
I firmly believe subscribe to the theory you are never as bad as you look when you are going bad, and vice versa. We are not this bad.

I actually thought Buerhle looked better tonite- the strike zone hurt him in all their runs.

Grind on sox. Veteran teams play all 162 games. The last two three weeks you can still overcome a deficit.

Hawk was talking intensity, which the last two years he totally attributed to our manager , but he does not mention ozzie now. yet he is ready and willing to rip Manuel for the same issues.

That's a good observation about Hawk. Yet another reason not to pay too much attention to his rambling about hunger and intensity. If the players truly aren't prepared to play, then it reflects on the coaching staff. I don't believe that's the problem here, but if it is the problem, the buck stops with Ozzie. You'll never hear Hawk say that.

2ndCitySox
08-22-2006, 10:54 PM
Seriously, I would feel 10x better if I actually heard that coming out of their mouths. Even if their "one game at a time" spiel is supposed to convey the cool-under-pressure confidence of a champion caliber team, it comes across as ambivalent and utterly complacent with their own horrible play. We're not just talking tough losses, we are talking COMPLETELY HORRIBLE BASEBALL that's being played by this team.

It's unacceptable that they've let it go this long and aren't seriously addressing it to the fans.

Well said, I think KW, or JR should address the fans. At the same time, light a fire under their "collective asses."

JB98
08-22-2006, 10:56 PM
Well said, I think KW, or JR should address the fans. At the same time, light a fire under their "collective asses."

Why should KW or JR address us? I want the team to start winning. I don't need any words of wisdom from the front office.

CaptainBallz
08-22-2006, 10:58 PM

Thanks, but ooooh sorry, that's the incorrect usage. No cash dollar bill for you.:cool:

champagne030
08-22-2006, 10:59 PM

What is disturbing to me is that their ego is getting the best of them. We just faced 6 pitchers that suck ass in our last 8 games and we've done nothing against them. They're all trying to hit homers and it doesn't happen against powder puff pitching like KC, Boof and the Gambler roll out there. Take the ****ing ball to right and your single or double. Our pitching has been below expectations most of the season and now the offense cannot bail them out. A decent offense would double the 4 runs the kitties got tonight off a sack of **** like Rogers. I cannot believe how poor our offense has been since last Monday........:whiner:

SouthSide_HitMen
That's a good observation about Hawk. Yet another reason not to pay too much attention to his rambling about hunger and intensity. If the players truly aren't prepared to play, then it reflects on the coaching staff. I don't believe that's the problem here, but if it is the problem, the buck stops with Ozzie. You'll never hear Hawk say that.

I'm getting frustrated with the lack of patience at the plate. Many at bats end up with a pop up or weak ground out on the first and second pitch.

Earlier in the season most players with the exception of AJ (who likes swinging at the first good pitch) and Uribe (who has never seen a pitch he didn't want to swing at) have been patient at the plate, taking pitches which helps them get on base and also wears down the starting pitcher.

To let Kenny Rogers sail through seven innings was very disappointing. We had the same effort last evening against Verlander.

2ndCitySox
Why should KW or JR address us? I want the team to start winning. I don't need any words of wisdom from the front office.

It's a business. The customers aren't happy. The customer is always right, even though it won't mean much at the ticket counter. I think OG and KW need to light a fire under these guys and let them know that they're expendable. The team will go on, but each and every one, starting with 4/5 of the starting pitchers can be gone at the end of the season.

hawkjt
08-22-2006, 11:00 PM
I had a bad feeling going into this game knowing that Iassonga was behind the plate. He is on my list of consistently bad umps or umps with an axe to grind with ozzie,with eric cooper,wendelstat,Culpa, ect.

He blew the call on credes homer in Baltimore and has been on us ever since.

DJ did say that we needed to be prepared for lots of arguing in this game cuz he remembered his strike zone is inconsistent.

Lip Man 1
08-22-2006, 11:02 PM
Infohawk:

No one can argue with your comments about the starting pitchers but in my opinion it runs deeper then that. This team simply can't bunt anymore, they have very few guys with any speed to start with and the ones they have simply refuse to run anymore and the defense has been inconsistent making errors at key times.

Even Ozzie said publicly he can't play the game the way he wants anymore because these guys simply can't execute. He said the Sox are going to spend a lot more time on fundamentals in spring training next season (which begs the question why not now? Why not mandatory extra practice every single friggin' day for the rest of the season until they get it right...) but HOW can a guy go from being able to lay down a bunt one year to looking like an idiot trying to do it 12 months later? Ditto for executing the hit and run, ditto-ditto for getting a guy over to third base with less then two outs.

Unfortunately you can't do what managers like the Sox Eddie Stanky used to do, FINE EM, EVERY damn time they miss a bunt, don't get a guy over to 3rd base with less then two outs or fail to drive a man home from third with less then two outs... but I'll tell you what Ozzie can do if he wants....he can start benching people for not doing what he wants and he can tell the media exactly why he's doing it.

I don't know...maybe personal pride or fear of humiliation will get these guys off their asses.

Anything is worth trying at this point in my opinion.

Lip

JB98
08-22-2006, 11:04 PM
It's a business. The customers aren't happy. The customer is always right, even though it won't mean much at the ticket counter. I think OG and KW need to light a fire under these guys and let them know that they're expendable. The team will go on, but each and every one, starting with 4/5 of the starting pitchers can be gone at the end of the season.

That's all fine and dandy, but like I said, I don't think KW or JR need to give me an explanation. I can see what's going on.

2ndCitySox
08-22-2006, 11:04 PM
Infohawk:

No one can argue with your comments about the starting pitchers but in my opinion it runs deeper then that. This team simply can't bunt anymore, they have very few guys with any speed to start with and the ones they have simply refuse to run anymore, the defense has been inconsistent making errors are key times.

Even Ozzie said publicly he can't play the game the way he wants anymore because these guys simply can't execute. He said the Sox are going to spend a lot more time on fundamentals in spring training next season (which begs the question why not now? Why not mandatory extra practice every single friggin' day for the rest of the season until they get it right...) but HOW can a guy go from being able to lay down a bunt one year to looking like an idiot trying to do it 12 months later? Ditto for executing the hit and run, ditto-ditto for getting a guy over to third base with less then two outs.

Unfortunately you can't do what managers like the Sox Eddie Stanky used to do, FINE EM, EVERY damn time they miss a bunt, don't get a guy over to 3rd base with less then two outs or fail to drive a man home from third with less then two outs... but I'll tell you what Ozzie can do if he wants....he can start benching people for not doing what he wants and he can tell the media exactly why he's doing it.

I don't know...maybe personal pride or fear of humiliation will get these guys off their asses.

Lip

I'm not sure personal pride as too much to do with it when you know other teams will come calling. It's a sweet deal, and doesn't really work in too many industries other than professional sports.

Lip Man 1
08-22-2006, 11:05 PM
Hawkjt:

With respect it's not the umpires. That sounds paranoid...'everyone's out to get us!'

The Sox had umpire issues last season and played through it...this club was supposedly better so they should be able to do it as well.

I can't agree that blaming the umpires is what ails this club...it runs deeper then that.

But for the sake of arguement, let's say you're right... then Kenny needs to contact the league office and have a frank discussion about what's wrong, are the Sox somehow responsible and what steps can be done to correct matters.

Lip

Lip Man 1
08-22-2006, 11:06 PM
2nd city:

These guys aren't free agents. I don't understand your comment about other teams. They are under contract to the Sox, they can play better or they can rot on the bench for a few years.

Lip

2ndCitySox
08-22-2006, 11:08 PM
2nd city:

These guys aren't free agents. I don't understand your comment about other teams. They are under contract to the Sox, they can play better or they can rot on the bench for a few years.

Lip

Any team cannot allow their starters to rot on the bench for a few years, especially given their salaries. Are you going to start former bench or low-salaried/rookies/AAA players? They'd surely be traded. Which sometimes is the best thing for them and all of a sudden, they thrive.

QCIASOXFAN
08-22-2006, 11:09 PM
Infohawk:

No one can argue with your comments about the starting pitchers but in my opinion it runs deeper then that. This team simply can't bunt anymore, they have very few guys with any speed to start with and the ones they have simply refuse to run anymore, the defense has been inconsistent making errors are key times.

LipYou bring up a lot of good points about stealing and bunting. I wonder what our sb/cs ratio is since the allstar break? I know it is pathetic. As far as the bunting goes it is insane how bad you can look from one year to the other. I suppose we could say the same thing about a few of our starting pitchers.

samram
08-22-2006, 11:11 PM
The team doesn't need a fire lit under them. The problem is they have slumping hitters and underachieving pitchers. A turnaround will start with two or three great starts in a row, but I'm not sure who's going to give those starts right now.

2ndCitySox
08-22-2006, 11:13 PM
The team doesn't need a fire lit under them. The problem is they have slumping hitters and underachieving hitters. A turnaround will start with two or three great starts in a row, but I'm not sure who's going to give those starts right now.

Yeah, so in other words, sometimes employees need to be motivated. Hey, I'd love to agree with you, really I would, but I'm very disappointed with their recent play. If they can't get motivated to play the Tigers(!) and try and win the division, I'm not sure what can possibly motivate them.

JB98
08-22-2006, 11:13 PM
You bring up a lot of good points about stealing and bunting. I wonder what our sb/cs ration is since the allstar break? I know it is pathetic. As far as the bunting goes it is insane how bad you can look from one year to the other. I suppose we could say the same thing about a few of our starting pitchers.

I thought we gave Santana way too much respect on Sunday. We had Ozuna and Iguchi on base all day. Did we try to run once? Hell no. We tried the same station-to-station approach we've always done, and of course, it resulted in failure. I know that Santana misses a lot of bats, but is it too much to ask to try one hit-and-run? Yeah, we might get the guy thrown out. But the stand pat and wait for the 3-run HR approach isn't working too well right now.

HotelWhiteSox
08-22-2006, 11:14 PM
Hello Wild Card

No we didn't score tonight, but come on, the problem that has kept this team inconsistent is pitching. Every team/offense will go through an offensive dryspell

JB98
08-22-2006, 11:14 PM
Yeah, so in other words, sometimes employees need to be motivated. Hey, I'd love to agree with you, really I would, but I'm very disappointed with their recent play. If they can't get motivated to play the Tigers(!) and try and win the division, I'm not sure what can possibly motivate them.

I think the point samram is trying to make is, the Sox are motivated, but they're just getting their asses kicked.

2ndCitySox
08-22-2006, 11:15 PM
Hello Wild Card

Keep playing like they have recently, it'll be

Goodbye Wild Card.

2ndCitySox
08-22-2006, 11:17 PM
I think the point samram is trying to make is, the Sox are motivated, but they're just getting their asses kicked.

Well, that's obvious, but I really don't think they're motivated. I think they're complacent.

soxfan13

What the hell is there to address to the fans. "Sorry folks, that we are only 21 games over .500 after we have struggled for a little bit. Kenny and I, would like to take this time to apologize for the team not being able to play at the .900 level all you Chicago fans have come to expect. So even if the season were to end today and we would be in the playoffs, Kenny Williams will be resigning effective tomorrow. Starting immediately we will start trading all our big salaries away,to make room for Brandon McCarthy, Fields, Owens and etc. Since our always faithful fans seem to think they are the answers. Welcom back to the era of the 50 million payroll and if you dont like it, I am moving the team to Brooklyn."

Come guys,I think we all need to just sit back take a deep breathe and relax. We wanted World Series' and playoff contenders and now that we have a still very very good team. Yes, they are struggling right now. Everyone is crying like we are 40 games back. Enjoy this folks,this is what a playoff race is. Ups and downs, thats what its all about. I think the Sox just have way too much talent not to make it. So, please will all the dark clouds just lighten up abit. please:smile:

samram

Again, the problem isn't motivation, it's that as of now, they're not playing well enough. You can't try harder in baseball. If you think that any of these guys goes to bat not wanting to get on base, you're crazy. The problem is they're trying to do too much, which isn't a motivation problem, it's an approach problem, which is the problem the manager is supposed to address, but I haven't seen any evidence of that either.

JB98
08-22-2006, 11:18 PM
Well, that's obvious, but I really don't think they're motivated. I think they're complacent.

How do you tell the difference between complacency and a slump? Every time a team goes into a offensive slump, they look flat.

samram
08-22-2006, 11:18 PM

That is correct.:smile:

2ndCitySox
08-22-2006, 11:20 PM
Again, the problem isn't motivation, it's that as of now, they're not playing well enough. You can't try harder in baseball. If you think that any of these guys goes to bat not wanting to get on base, you're crazy. The problem is they're trying to do too much, which isn't a motivation problem, it's an approach problem, which is the problem the manager is supposed to address, but I haven't seen any evidence of that either.

OK, call it what you will, and I'll stand corrected. Why don't we just blame it all on, oh let's see, pitching CG's last year, and the WBC.

greygoose
08-22-2006, 11:22 PM
What the hell is there to address to the fans. "Sorry folks, that we are only 21 games over .500 after we have struggled for a little bit. Kenny and I, would like to take this time to apologize for the team not being able to play at the .900 level all you Chicago fans have come to expect. So even if the season were to end today and we would be in the playoffs, Kenny Williams will be resigning effective tomorrow. Starting immediately we will start trading all our big salaries away,to make room for Brandon McCarthy, Fields, Owens and etc. Since our always faithful fans seem to think they are the answers. Welcom back to the era of the 50 million payroll and if you dont like it, I am moving the team to Brooklyn."

Come guys,I think we all need to just sit back take a deep breathe and relax. We wanted World Series' and playoff contenders and now that we have a still very very good team. Yes, they are struggling right now. Everyone is crying like we are 40 games back. Enjoy this folks,this is what a playoff race is. Ups and downs, thats what its all about. I think the Sox just have way too much talent not to make it. So, please will all the dark clouds just lighten up abit. please:smile:

This, my friends, is an example of a blind pollyanna.

kitekrazy
08-22-2006, 11:22 PM
This is pretty funny. What should they say? "Hello White Sox fans. It aint over till it's over as the old saying goes. BUt as of August 22. 2006 we are officially throwing in the towel".

2ndCitySox
08-22-2006, 11:23 PM
How do you tell the difference between complacency and a slump? Every time a team goes into a offensive slump, they look flat.

Slump? Are you kidding me? Since early July? C'mon, think with your head. They've showed signs of brilliance, but it hasn't been prolonged. I agree that they're playing like dog**** now, and I remain a faithful fan. I hope and pray they can pull out of the nose dive. I am also not blind, either. Again, if they can't get it together for the Tigers, during THIS series, then when?

spiffie
08-22-2006, 11:24 PM
This, my friends, is an example of a blind pollyanna.
No, that is the example of someone with a little bit of perspective, instead of crapping the bed after every single loss. After 120+ games the White Sox are still in the lead for the Wild Card. And yet to read people here we must be around 50-75 or so. Yeah, we sucked **** tonight. And the last 40 games are going to be tough. If that's too hard for people to watch, go watch the World Series dvd from last year, since at the end of that the Sox will always be the winners.

JB98
08-22-2006, 11:27 PM
Slump? Are you kidding me? Since early July? C'mon, think with your head. They've showed signs of brilliance, but it hasn't been prolonged. I agree that they're playing like dog**** now, and I remain a faithful fan. I hope and pray they can pull out of the nose dive. I am also not blind, either. Again, if they can't get it together for the Tigers, during THIS series, then when?

Are you suggesting that I'm thinking with a part of my body besides my head? There have been plenty of Sox teams through the years that have "showed signs of brilliance, but it hasn't been prolonged." Have you given consideration to the idea that this team isn't capable of a prolonged stretch of brilliance? I have.

2ndCitySox
08-22-2006, 11:27 PM
You all know that posting in a forum like this is like sitting around at a bar with all your buddies, talking ****. Everyone is pulling for the same team, has the same goals. We see different nuances, different approaches, etc. Some of us are pessimists, others optimists. I prefer to be an optimist, but find it very hard lately. I've been a Sox fan for almost 40 years and will remain so, but like all of you, I too have a certain passion for this team. I just hope they turn it around, split the series and get ready for the Twins. Now is not the time for complacency (or whatever).

BadBobbyJenks
08-22-2006, 11:28 PM
It would have been nice to see us even come close to the same intensity as the tiggers showed tonight......what a frustrating game to sit through.
Rogers was one of the last pitchers in the majors I wanted to see with the way offense has struggled.

For some strange reason I have a real good feeling about the next 2 games

kitekrazy
08-22-2006, 11:30 PM
Did we try to run once? Hell no. We tried the same station-to-station approach we've always done, and of course, it resulted in failure.

That's the problem when you have guys like Thome and Konerko batting 3rd and 4th.

It takes a very long single for Paulie to score.

You are really screwed if Pods or Guch are not on base.

It's sad if you want to see a bunt laid down you have to watch the Twins or the Little League World Series.

Whatever happened to old school baseball?

samram
08-22-2006, 11:32 PM
Are you suggesting that I'm thinking with a part of my body besides my head? There have been plenty of Sox teams through the years that have "showed signs of brilliance, but it hasn't been prolonged." Have you given consideration to the idea that this team isn't capable of a prolonged stretch of brilliance? I have.

As have I and I've basically come to the realization that it likely won't happen. Streaks like that are born from starting pitching and what the Sox have just isn't going to get something like that done this season.

JB98
08-22-2006, 11:33 PM
That's the problem when you have guys like Thome and Konerko batting 3rd and 4th.

It takes a very long single for Paulie to score.

You are really screwed if Pods or Guch are not on base.

It's sad if you want to see a bunt laid down you have to watch the Twins or the Little League World Series.

Whatever happened to old school baseball?

Pods hasn't been on base much lately. Ozuna was on against Santana, and we didn't run. Strange. We need to manufacture more runs against the tough pitchers in this division.

spiffie
08-22-2006, 11:36 PM
Pods hasn't been on base much lately. Ozuna was on against Santana, and we didn't run. Strange. We need to manufacture more runs against the tough pitchers in this division.
Considering that Pablo is less than 50% for steals this year I would say that running him with big hitters coming up seems a very bad idea. If it was someone who was stealing at a good clip I would agree, but I would say that Pablo, being fast but not adept at stealing would be much more useful on base with the ability to go from 1st to 3rd on a single or to home on a double had someone gotten a hit behind him.

QCIASOXFAN
08-22-2006, 11:36 PM
No, that is the example of someone with a little bit of perspective, instead of crapping the bed after every single loss. After 120+ games the White Sox are still in the lead for the Wild Card. And yet to read people here we must be around 50-75 or so. Yeah, we sucked **** tonight. And the last 40 games are going to be tough. If that's too hard for people to watch, go watch the World Series dvd from last year, since at the end of that the Sox will always be the winners.You hit it right on the head. We are spoiled fans from last year. 25 other teams would die to be in the position that we are in right now. The only difference is that on paper our squad is far and above better than every other one of those teams. We still have 38 games left and anything can happen.

soxinem1
08-22-2006, 11:38 PM
This is getting Un-Buehrle-vable!!

While I agree most teams would like to be in our position without complaining, this agonizing, lifeless play of the past month plus is not good to watch.

QCIASOXFAN
08-22-2006, 11:39 PM
It takes a very long single for Paulie to score.I don't think there is anymore 450-470ft stadiums in the majors anymore.

JB98
08-22-2006, 11:42 PM
Considering that Pablo is less than 50% for steals this year I would say that running him with big hitters coming up seems a very bad idea. If it was someone who was stealing at a good clip I would agree, but I would say that Pablo, being fast but not adept at stealing would be much more useful on base with the ability to go from 1st to 3rd on a single or to home on a double had someone gotten a hit behind him.

I'm thinking more hit-and-run. Make our sluggers concentrate on making contact, get the opposition's infielders moving, etc. I'm not afraid to lose somebody on the bases trying to make something happen.

If our big hitters are hot, you play more station-to-station. When they're struggling, force the action.

greenpeach
You hit it right on the head. We are spoiled fans from last year. 25 other teams would die to be in the position that we are in right now. The only difference is that on paper our squad is far and above better than every other one of those teams. We still have 38 games left and anything can happen.

You hit the nail right on the head. "on paper" we have the most balanced team in the American League. Even David Ortiz of Boston stated that, however because of the maddening pitching inconsistency we have never been able to put together a sustained winning streak when it really mattered.

Jenks & Garland are the only two pitchers who have given us consistently good efforts night in & night out.

kitekrazy
No, that is the example of someone with a little bit of perspective, instead of crapping the bed after every single loss. After 120+ games the White Sox are still in the lead for the Wild Card. And yet to read people here we must be around 50-75 or so. Yeah, we sucked **** tonight. And the last 40 games are going to be tough. If that's too hard for people to watch, go watch the World Series dvd from last year, since at the end of that the Sox will always be the winners.

Right now it looks like no team wants to take the wild card slot. Sox lost, Twins lost, Boston is losing. The Twins had an opportunity to take over the wild card last weekend. They blew their chance today. The Red Sox became a foot stool for the Yankees.

Beer Can Chicken
I'm tired of hearing it is our offenses' fault, they have far and away exceeded last year's production. Our problem this year is our starting pitching. I'm not sure how difficult it is to comprehend that. It hasnt come close to replicating last year. Yes, it's really that simple.

kitekrazy
08-22-2006, 11:43 PM

Right now it looks like no team wants to take control of the wild card slot. Sox lost, Twins lost, Boston is losing. The Twins had an opportunity to take over the wild card last weekend. They blew their chance today. The Red Sox became a foot stool for the Yankees.

soxfan13
08-22-2006, 11:44 PM
You all know that posting in a forum like this is like sitting around at a bar with all your buddies, talking ****. Everyone is pulling for the same team, has the same goals. We see different nuances, different approaches, etc. Some of us are pessimists, others optimists. I prefer to be an optimist, but find it very hard lately. I've been a Sox fan for almost 40 years and will remain so, but like all of you, I too have a certain passion for this team. I just hope they turn it around, split the series and get ready for the Twins. Now is not the time for complacency (or whatever).

Your exactly right it is like sitting around with your friends at a bar arguing and what not. I was just trying to bring a little humor to this thread. I think we all need it. Yes, I do get aggravated when the team plays like ****, but I think alot of us should have learned from last years team that every team goes thru a rough patch (remember last august and september). Look how that turned out. I was able to watch 3 World Series games in person. Am I saying that is going to happen again, no, but I would like it to. I would rather have this happen every year then the opposite of sitting around that bar arguing with your friends "who do we have to get or get rid of to have a chance at the playoffs."

spiffie
08-22-2006, 11:44 PM
I'm thinking more hit-and-run. Make our sluggers concentrate on making contact, get the opposition's infielders moving, etc. I'm not afraid to lose somebody on the bases trying to make something happen.

If our big hitters are hot, you play more station-to-station. When they're struggling, force the action.
If it was a different pitcher I would agree. But I think running hit-and-run against someone who is so difficult to make contact on as Santana seems really really dangerous. Maybe if it were Pods in the game instead of Ozuna I would have liked the idea more.

infohawk
08-22-2006, 11:45 PM
You bring up a lot of good points about stealing and bunting. I wonder what our sb/cs ratio is since the allstar break? I know it is pathetic. As far as the bunting goes it is insane how bad you can look from one year to the other. I suppose we could say the same thing about a few of our starting pitchers.
The bunting comment is dead-on. They don't execute as well as they did last year. As far as stealing bases, I think Pods has had one too many groin problems. Remember, he was actually only stealing bases at a tremendous clip before the ASB last year. He slowed down because of injury after that. He had the groin surgery this offseason and hasn't been the same since. Without his steals he doesn't contribute much to the offense. I expect the Sox to try and replace him next year. I just wonder who they might pursue because good lead-off hitters are hard to find.

jenn2080
08-22-2006, 11:45 PM
You hit the nail right on the head. "on paper" we have the most balanced team in the American League. Even David Ortiz of Boston stated that, however because of the maddening pitching inconsistency we have never been able to put together a sustained winning streak when it really mattered.

Jenks & Garland are the only two pitchers who have given us consistently good efforts night in & night out.

Dont forget about MacDugal too. Hey has been awesome and so has Thorton minus a few times.

2ndCitySox
08-22-2006, 11:49 PM
Don't forget McCarthy, he's been pretty solid too, except for a few outings.

TheOldRoman
08-22-2006, 11:53 PM
Roman, I was just a pup back in 86 when the Bears did that, but if the worst takes place this year I will need to know how you got through that dark time.
Did I say anywhere in that quote that this was life and death? No, it's ****ing baseball. That doesn't change the fact that this Sox team missing the playoffs would be a huge dissapointment and embarrassment. Life goes on. I learned today that my aunt has cancer, and probably only has a few years left. Seeing the crap that the Sox put out on the field tonight was the last thing I wanted to do. Believe me, I know baseball is not real life. That doesn't mean we should be happy with garabge like the Sox have given us lately.

jenn2080
08-23-2006, 12:02 AM
Did I say anywhere in that quote that this was life and death? No, it's ****ing baseball. That doesn't change the fact that this Sox team missing the playoffs would be a huge dissapointment and embarrassment. Life goes on. I learned today that my aunt has cancer, and probably only has a few years left. Seeing the crap that the Sox put out on the field tonight was the last thing I wanted to do. Believe me, I know baseball is not real life. That doesn't mean we should be happy with garabge like the Sox have given us lately.

well said...well said. i dont even having anything to say because in a few sentences you summed it all up for alot of people.

JB98
08-23-2006, 12:05 AM
If it was a different pitcher I would agree. But I think running hit-and-run against someone who is so difficult to make contact on as Santana seems really really dangerous. Maybe if it were Pods in the game instead of Ozuna I would have liked the idea more.

Santana is 7-1 with a miniscule ERA against us over the course of the past two years. What do we have to lose? Like I stated earlier, station-to-station hasn't worked against him. Run on him, bunt on him, make him field his position, just do something different. I don't disagree that it's risky. I'm just willing to assume the risk to make something happen and change the approach of this team.

kitekrazy
08-23-2006, 12:11 AM
Santana is 7-1 with a miniscule ERA against us over the course of the past two years. What do we have to lose? Like I stated earlier, station-to-station hasn't worked against him. Run on him, bunt on him, make him field his position, just do something different. I don't disagree that it's risky. I'm just willing to assume the risk to make something happen and change the approach of this team.

THis would be so "un-Jerry Manuel".

spiffie
08-23-2006, 12:13 AM
I agree with the premise. If we could lay down a bunt to save our lives I would agree even more. Personally against Santana I would just like to see our guys go up there with the intention to try to foul off as many pitches as they possibly can. Even if that means the first time through the order they make some check swing outs and nubbers. Try to make him throw 6-7 pitches to every guy the first time through and get him to 50 pitches through 3.

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-23-2006, 12:44 AM
You know your team sucked ass when the highlight video for the game is "MacDougal pitched 1 1/3 innings of scorless relief"

...****in joke :angry::angry::angry:

Nothing against Mike, he did a great job

Nellie_Fox
08-23-2006, 01:03 AM
I suggest that we let our pitchers hit and use the DH for the rally-killer Alomar.I suspect you're just being facetious, but the DH can only be used as a substitute for the pitcher, not for any other player.

0o0o0
08-23-2006, 01:15 AM
What I find most dissappointing is that these are the exact same posts that were being made over a month ago. Nothing's changed with this team.

Nellie_Fox
08-23-2006, 01:33 AM
http://www.singaporesoxfan.com/uploaded_images/kenny_rogers-700795.jpg
"This is a beard, douchebag." And this is bad plastic surgery:
http://k955fm.com/images/newkennyyess_420.jpg

For what it's worth, and it's not much, I listened to the Detroit feed of the game on XM, and the announcers were actually laughing about the ball/strike calling even before Ozzie got bounced. They were saying "there's no question Kenny's getting pitches that Buehrle's not...I love it! I'll take it any day." Then when Ozzie was arguing, they agreed that he absolutely had a beef, of course re-stating how much they loved the fact that the ump was giving the Tigers all the calls. They were laughing even more when Thome started arguing a strike call, saying "that was high and outside; Thome never says anything. You know it's bad when Thome starts talking."

But, the end result is that Detroit went on a skid for a while, and the Sox didn't take advantage. Then they went to Detroit and could have kept Detroit on the skid and maybe taken their confidence away, but they haven't. On an interesting side note, in the St. Paul Pioneer Press today, Gardenhire was talking about focusing in on catching Detroit. Looks like they already picture the Sox in their rear-view mirror.

Link (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/15322058.htm)

For those quick to blame the pitching on fatigue because of last year, I submit to you the following:

Whitey Ford:
1961, W25 L4, 297 IP. 1962, W17 L8, 276 IP. 1963, W24 L7, 281 IP.

Every year he had more innings pitched than any of the Sox starters had last year, but had great years the following year. And he was in his mid-30's those years. Highest ERA in those years? 3.21. In '61. Lowest? 2.13 In '63. The ERA went down each year during that stretch.

Mohoney
08-23-2006, 02:15 AM
I guess that the only bright side, if there is one, is that if there was to be a split here, I would rather have it this way, taking the last 2 of the series behind well-pitched games from Freddy and JG.

If we can do that, then maybe we can leave the road trip with some momentum. Buehrle can figure out what he did wrong tonight and adjust, Vazquez can give us a long-overdue good game, Contreras can shake off the last 2 clunkers (I think he's too good not to), and we can have a good series against the Twins.

It's not the fact that we're losing so much as the fact that we're doing so without ANY facet of our team looking halfway decent right now. Some of these guys look like they're running on fumes (Paulie and Crede especially) since the 6 games against the Yankees and Tigers at our place. It almost makes me want to pray for rain.

If we can just patch SOMETHING together before that off-day next Monday (4-1 would be really nice, but I'll take 3-2) just to stop the bleeding, we play some teams that are beatable after that, and a 10-6 or 11-5 stretch looks probable.

40 games in 41 days, including 24 in a row, with NO RAIN OUTS AT ALL, will never be pretty. A lot of these guys look like they desperately need a day away from it all.

Grzegorz
08-23-2006, 05:48 AM
Team slumps are halted by a stopper; that starting pitcher in the rotation that can shut down the opposition.

Tonight it is Garcia's turn; will "Big Game Freddie" show up? If this team gets an excellent outing by Freddie then you'll see the offense stop pressing. It all goes back to the starting pitching... The White Sox need these next two games against the Tigers.

As for executing, I have a hard time believing "small ball" is no longer available to the White Sox.

Earlier in the year Ozzie called the guys out to work on the fundamentals. Why does Ozzie feel that calling the guys out at this point and time is fruitless

Why not do it again? The fate of the White Sox, for as poorly as they've played, is still in their hands.

Wake up...

palehozenychicty
08-23-2006, 05:53 AM
Some of these guys look like they're running on fumes (Paulie and Crede especially) since the 6 games against the Yankees and Tigers at our place. It almost makes me want to pray for rain.

If we can just patch SOMETHING together before that off-day next Monday (4-1 would be really nice, but I'll take 3-2) just to stop the bleeding, we play some teams that are beatable after that, and a 10-6 or 11-5 stretch looks probable.

40 games in 41 days, including 24 in a row, with NO RAIN OUTS AT ALL, will never be pretty. A lot of these guys look like they desperately need a day away from it all.

Bingo. It feels like the entire second half this team hasn't played/pitched with the same energy. Ozzie's stubborn handling of Vazquez/McCarthy/Anderson/Mackowiak hasn't helped matters either. A day or two off would be a godsend to this team.

palehozenychicty
08-23-2006, 06:05 AM
[quote=Nellie_Fox]And this is bad plastic surgery:
http://k955fm.com/images/newkennyyess_420.jpg

quote]

I suppose he never visited these guys when in Miami.

http://image.com.com/tv/images/processed/photo_viewer/59/38/46065.jpg

"Tell me what you don't like about yourself."

southside rocks
08-23-2006, 07:20 AM

That's kind of what Joe Crede said in the pre-game show. He said, when Chris Singleton asked him how "hungry" this team is, that any player who isn't motivated by winning the WS as the Sox did last year doesn't belong in the game.

I don't doubt that the team is motivated, hungry, all the rest of it. They don't need to have anyone throw a tantrum at them to "get them going" -- they need their starting pitchers to throw 7 innings and give up 2 runs or less, for at least 2 consecutive starts apiece.

All the "hunger" in the world won't get the job done if the starter gives up 5 runs in 4 innings and 2-3 runs later on.

It's very hard to watch these games, because you just know that the team is better than they're playing. And that, not their record or their place in the standings, is the thing that's driving me and a lot of other fans nuts right now.

Wsoxmike59
08-23-2006, 07:22 AM
As far as stealing bases, I think Pods has had one too many groin problems. Remember, he was actually only stealing bases at a tremendous clip before the ASB last year. He slowed down because of injury after that. He had the groin surgery this offseason and hasn't been the same since. Without his steals he doesn't contribute much to the offense. I expect the Sox to try and replace him next year. I just wonder who they might pursue because good lead-off hitters are hard to find.

You are dead on correct infohawk. Pods hasn't been the same player since ASB 2005. I say the time is now to play Mackowiak in LF everyday from now until the end of the year.

wassagstdu
08-23-2006, 07:38 AM

Spot on. Post of the year. However, how many games like last night would have been totally different if the Sox came out of the gate up 1-0 or 2-0 in the first like last year?

bryPt
08-23-2006, 08:40 AM
That lost pretty much finished the Sox from catching them for the division. Detroit will have to have the meltdown of all meltdowns to lose the division.

They just have to get back to playing better. Last year, with runners on 1st and 2nd with no outs, those 2 score with a sac and base hit, this year, we got guys trying to do too much and forgetting how they got there. Paulie grounding out, Crede popping out.

Boston is fading, Minny is treading water, and the Sox are like a yoyo, up and down. IF, and I say IF, the starters get their heads out of their arse, we are in the playoffs with a good shot at repeat. Right now, that is a very big IF.

Dan H
08-23-2006, 08:51 AM
I didn't get to see the game because I was traveling, but I did see Buehrle couldn't get past the sixth inning. We keep waiting for the starters to step it, but except for Contreras at the start and Garland now, no one has pitched all that well all year. The Sox desperately need a split, but now have to depend on Freddie (automatic loss) Garcia to come through. It looks like the playoffs are nothing but a pipe dream. And what does the long term future look like with the rotation in shambles?

jenn2080
08-23-2006, 09:40 AM
The Tigers have more errors in the past 2 games then the Sox have runs.

itsnotrequired
08-23-2006, 09:45 AM

The Tigers had more errors in one game than Sox runs in two games. If you count the Sunday game, Sox opponents have combined for 4 errors while the Sox have only managed 4 runs.

:(:

Rocky Soprano
08-23-2006, 09:53 AM
It was nice to see Konerko back to his old self!
:angry:

SoxFan78
08-23-2006, 10:01 AM

That stat makes me want to cry.

I turned the game on late yesterday, and turned it off early. I learned my lesson on Monday that I shouldnt miss working out to watch the Sox. So I was watching the Sox from the gym. Nothing like frustration to get you to start working out.

I got home and it was already 2-0, I knew the Sox were not gonna win. I was watching the game split screen for a while, but turned it off around 7:30.

Good thing about turning it off early, none of my pillows or remotes ended up being thrown around my living room.

Bad thing was the Sox lost. Again.

soxinem1
08-23-2006, 10:27 AM
I don't think there is anymore 450-470ft stadiums in the majors anymore.

Actually in MLB 2006 on PS 2, you can play in the Polo Grounds. Yep, 480 ft tot CF, 280 down LF. I've had Paulie score many times from first!!!!

fuzzy_patters
08-23-2006, 10:56 AM
The Yankees are the only team that is playing like the want to make the playoffs. The Tigers are committing errors left and right and were just swept by Texas. They only look good because they have been playing the White Sox. The White Sox have a losing record over the last 52 days. The Twins cannot even beat Baltimore, and Boston is playing worse than all of them. At this point, it looks like someone is going to back into the Wild Card.

bluestar
08-23-2006, 11:09 AM
The Yankees are the only team that is playing like the want to make the playoffs. The Tigers are committing errors left and right and were just swept by Texas. They only look good because they have been playing the White Sox. The White Sox have a losing record over the last 52 days. The Twins cannot even beat Baltimore, and Boston is playing worse than all of them. At this point, it looks like someone is going to back into the Wild Card.

The Tigers won one of the games against Texas.

It is mid-late August and many teams tend to hit a lull during this time of the season. It has been a long season already, and it is still a ways to the end. Many teams (Boston and Minnesota come to mind) are battling key injuries.

I think the Kittens were feeling the pressure pretty strongly before the Sox limped into Detroit. If the Sox could have won 3 of 4 or even swept, it might have crushed them. As it is, I think they may start playing a little more loose now. Every game that ticks off the schedule now is going to put them closer to the division title and the postseason. Unless the Sox or the Twins get red hot, the Kittens will not even have to play all that well to win the division.

southside rocks
08-23-2006, 11:35 AM
It is mid-late August and many teams tend to hit a lull during this time of the season.

And this year, they have no greenies to help them out. :o:

Paulwny
08-23-2006, 11:55 AM
Pressure to repeat as WS Champs
lack at times of patience at the plate
pitchers too tired from last season's play-offs
swinging for the fences
not playing fundamental ball
blaming the umps
one pitcher blaming the offense
pitching one day/no hitting
hitting one day / no pitching
a pitcher needing his own catcher to try and regain whatever he lost
inconsistent play leading to hot and cold streaks
etc
etc

All signs of a word that hasn't been mentioned in this thread, CHOKE :angry:

kobo
08-23-2006, 12:23 PM
Pressure to repeat as WS Champs
lack at times of patience at the plate
pitchers too tired from last season's play-offs
swinging for the fences
not playing fundamental ball
blaming the umps
one pitcher blaming the offense
pitching one day/no hitting
hitting one day / no pitching
a pitcher needing his own catcher to try and regain whatever he lost
inconsistent play leading to hot and cold streaks
etc
etc

All signs of a word that hasn't been mentioned in this thread, CHOKE :angry:
Choke? That's not the word I would use. Inconsistent is the word I would use. This team has not been in a rhythm since June, we all see that. Someone mentioned earlier that a lot of the posts in this thread are no different than posts that were made a month ago and that person was right. That is what has been so frustrating this season, the lack of consistent play, whether it be offense, defense, or starting pitching. Sure, they have the Wild Card lead, and that's great, but if the Sox cannot start playing consistent fundamental baseball it will make for a quick October. Everyone it seems has been waiting for them to wake up and snap out of this, but at this point I am really doubting if that will ever happen. I can't say that the Sox are choking though, they just aren't playing consistently.

spiffie
08-23-2006, 12:25 PM
And this year, they have no greenies to help them out. :o:
Not totally sure that should be a teal comment. A whole lot of teams seem really tired this year, and outside of the Yankees and the Dodgers everyone seems to just be treading water the last few weeks.

Lip Man 1
08-23-2006, 12:27 PM
A few points.

According to a story at MLB.com Issogna has had issues with a number of managers over his strike zone including Clint Hurdle and Phil Garner.

According to the Chicago newspapers, Issogna said something to Ozzie on his way back to the dugout that brought him back out towards the ump and Joey Cora had to jump in and restrain him. The newspapers also said that Ozzie's report on the incidient and whatever it was Issogna called him as well as a tape of his calls was being sent to the MLB office in NYC by the White Sox.

Lip

soxinem1
08-23-2006, 01:02 PM
A few points.

According to a story at MLB.com Issogna has had issues with a number of managers over his strike zone including Clint Hurdle and Phil Garner.

According to the Chicago newspapers, Issogna said something to Ozzie on his way back to the dugout that brought him back out towards the ump and Joey Cora had to jump in and restrain him. The newspapers also said that Ozzie's report on the incidient and whatever it was Issogna called him as well as a tape of his calls was being sent to the MLB office in NYC by the White Sox.

Lip

While I will never blame umpires for a defeat, Issogna has been the worst umpire I have seen since Al Clark. He is great on the bases, but his strike zone is not even good enough to suck. If you want to squeeze, fine, but it has to be applied to all the pitchers, not just one. I hate watching any pitcher work a hitter and get boned like Buerhle did yesterday.

It reminded me of when Wilson Alvarez pitched for the Sox, and some games he would be snapping such a great curve, it would fool the umps and be called a ball. He had the fastball to turn to in such instances, Buerhle does not.

Plus, Issogna seems has a real short fuse. I was glad when many of the older umpires did not return after the mass resignation, but hey, some of these newer guys are just plain awful.

An umpire should never be the center of attention in any game. It's about the players and teams, not them.

southside rocks
08-23-2006, 01:06 PM
A few points.

Lip

Does MLB ever discipline umpires? And if so, is that ever made public in any way?

hawkjt
08-23-2006, 01:34 PM
I do not think it is ever made public. I would hope that with the problems with that crew they would not assign them to the sox again this year.

I really do not think that ozzie started this fight- ozzie said he yelled at a coach to shut up- I am guessing that coop was the instigator and iassonga just assumed it was ozzie and threw him out immediately.

Just another bad call by iass.

Oblong
08-23-2006, 02:06 PM
The umps need to restrain themselves. I really get ticked off when they go after the players or managers. Once Ozzie walked away the ump should have shut up. They need to realize that the players and managers are competing and get fired up. Even if they say something you don't like just ignore it.

Lip Man 1
08-23-2006, 03:22 PM
The word leaked out in the Chicago papers last year that Hunter Wendlestadt was disciplined by the league but no they never publicly announce any actions. Why I don't know. Just like umpires (except in rare circumstances) aren't allowed to meet with and talk to the media after games.

Personally I think that's wrong. They should be held accountable just like players, managers and broadcasters are.

Lip